THE Political Thread (ALL Political Discussion Here - See Rules, P. 1)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 981, 982, 983 ... 3661, 3662, 3663  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ChefLinda

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 9:54 am    Post subject:

Meanwhile, the ignorant lying traitorous buffoon is single handedly trying to destroy NATO as a pretense for U.S. breaking away from Western alliances to join the likes of Russia, China and North Korea.

But let's rehash the primary process...
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 10:05 am    Post subject:

ChefLinda wrote:
Meanwhile, the ignorant lying traitorous buffoon is single handedly trying to destroy NATO as a pretense for U.S. breaking away from Western alliances to join the likes of Russia, China and North Korea.

Like I said, thinking involves problem solving. Problem solving involves prioritizing.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Man, do those lyrics resonate right now
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 10:05 am    Post subject:

ChefLinda wrote:

Don't worry. Once things get bad enough. Bernie will part the clouds, start a revolution, and those who are the purest progressive purists will ascend from this hell rapture style.
Just make sure to say your prayers every night. Just hang a portrait of Bernie on your wall and keep chanting "Hillary would've been just as bad as Trump" till you fall asleep.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 10:42 am    Post subject:

I don’t think we need to mock. Bernie is a good guy, many of his ideas are excellent, and most of his supporters are eminently rational. We just need to reach a few who have gotten so locked in the intra tribe war that they don’t realize the benefit of compromise with friends.
ContagiousInspiration
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 11:23 am    Post subject:

Can a Presidential candidate campaign with his/her VP and they claim they will not be a traditional POTUS VPOTUS..

Hillary/Bernie

Pres/Vice Pres

They promise to share the country and continue proper human evolution as a Beacon of Freedom and Democracy on this planet?

Any chance??
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 11:32 am    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
I don’t think we need to mock. Bernie is a good guy, many of his ideas are excellent, and most of his supporters are eminently rational. We just need to reach a few who have gotten so locked in the intra tribe war that they don’t realize the benefit of compromise with friends.

You're right. Unity should be the motto.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 12:04 pm    Post subject:

I'm of the school, if Bernie had gotten out of the race and supported Hillary she may have won.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
Hector the Pup
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 1:01 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
Foreign investors spent $259.6 billion to acquire, launch, and expand businesses in the United States in 2017, according to numbers released Wednesday by the US Bureau of Economic Analysis. That's down from an historic high of $439.5 billion in 2015.

The largest chunk of last year's foreign direct investment came from Canada ($66.2 billion), followed by the United Kingdom and Japan.

I wonder what happened between 2016 and 2017 that led to a 32% drop?
splashmtn
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 1:08 pm    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
Splash, if you’re going to claim logic, if it requires the full group to beat the opponent that is equally horrifying to all, isn’t it on the smaller group to fall in with the larger from a logical standpoint? Why does the overwhelming majority logically need to bow down to a tiny fringe (and we are talking a single digit percentage of non GOP voters here)? Why are the ideas not good enough to sell? Why does it require antidemocratic “give us everything or we will kill us all” threats? Good ideas should be able to win. You’re already seeing victories for progressives showing up to run for offices. You’re not entitled to the presidential candidate the ten percent choose. Build a majority and we will happily vote for your candidate. I know I will.

We. Have. To. Stop. Opposing. Each. Other. In. The. General. Full stop, no it’s ands or buts. You win the primary I vote for your guy, I win, you vote for mine. We can argue all we want in the primaries. We can have these angst filled discussions and cathartic rage fests. But our survival, literally in many cases, depends on all of us showing up and voting as a block.

glad you asked.

#1 reason the majority dem voters should bow to lets say bernie sanders as their primary option.

That fringe group aint moving. Even if you think "these idiots are to stubborn to see the big picture." Even if that is the case with those idiots. guess what? They are not budging. They refuse to move and nothing you do or say will make them move. So now whats your plan. dont keep beating a dead horse telling a wall to move. it aint moving.
So plan B is what? Let me look at their choice is that guy on par with my gal's/guy's ideas? If the answer is No. You do not vote for this person. if the answer is Yes. you move to their side. because thats thee only way you can assure a victory. because you will then pick up the youth vote and the fringe vote in the swing states that matter.

Now once this happens. they have their way, they get their guy. maybe even a few congress people are their guys/gals. Maybe even more locally. Then two things will occur.

Either their guy(white house) and/or guys (in congress/locally) will fail. and they will realize, "see your guy is all hopes and dreams no real substance(which is what the other side was saying about bernie.) The next time come on over to our side(the establishment side) and vote with us, we still have some things on the agenda that you agree with. come on over, we'l l be happy to have you. shoot, we need you.

There are times where you have to let people have their way so they can see their way does not work. Then and only then will they see the light. otherwise they will forever dream about what COULD BE.

#2 option. You get a bernie as pres. a few more bernies running around in congress and on the local levels. And their policies are getting real traction. Since the bernie types got the youth excited. They will help push more bernie types to the forefront. It happened even in bernie's loss. something that people said would never happen. They swore(they being hil fans) that bern could not move the needle on any down tickets. well we now know that is not the case at all. imagine how much that needle would have/could have moved with him as the president, and a few more of his types in congress and locally? All of a sudden the fringe is not looking like the new 40%. The old guard is going to age out, this generation is larger than my generation. So truth is, they will take over by the numbers. Next thing you know that 40% is the new 60%. next thing you know, people like yourself, DMR, etc are no longer afraid to vote for a non establishment, non corporate dem. a lot of the reason why people vote for these people is not because they agree with their ideas per se. its due to them knowing them and their popularity. and the entire narrative is fed to you, vote for this person. dont think about it, just hit the button and vote for hil. no reason to do any research or find out has she changed her positions on anything? does she always change her positions? is she wishy washy and will only say what that group wants to hear but does something different when in charge? or will she stick to her guns? these voters have no idea. they wont do that work so someone has to do it for them. and they will then run and vote for the same person that the masses are voting for which is the same person the last person voted for and the media said you should vote for. This is why the fringe will never be able to get a majority fairly. They will have to wait it out and pray their types can become the next billionaires so they can purchase all of the media outlets, so they can push their agenda to the masses as fair and balance when in reality its not. It's an agenda. The people are not trying to wait that long. some people are in such bad shape they Can't wait that long.

and lastly,

Lets make it even simpler.

If you are ok with hil and you voted for hil in the primaries because you were ok with incremental change in the right direction.

Why would it be hard for you to be ok with bernie that is posing drastic change in the right direction? Unless, you are afraid of change, even if its good change? Or you dont really need much change so incremental is more than enough for your lifestyle. If the later is the case, you can see why the fringe wont budge on their guy. They can't afford to. It's life or death to them. You can't be mad at a person for doing something drastic when its life or death for them. I'm not mad at people that were born into countries with horrible governments or people trying to kill them, or insane gang wars/drug wars, etc. killing up everyone or harming everyone in the community or forcing their kids into that lifestyle. While also borderline starving day after day. i can't be mad at some foreigner wanting to sneak into the US for a better life. Now it's illegal and we can't afford to let everyone in because we dont have unlimited room nor resources(especially if everyone isnt paying their full fair share of taxes - all tax types.) But I aint mad at you for doing what you have to do to find a safe space for your familia. i get it. its do or die. and you're willing to die trying. Sure you may die on the way here. but your other option is assured death. at least this option has a possibility of turning out well. This is what you have with a lot of these fringe people.

Are you mad at the youth asking for loan forgiveness and free college? Have any of you seen the cost of college lately? have you seen people drowning in loans but without the wages to match even if they go into majors with decent to good paying gigs. This is another thing, some of us are older than some other voting blocks. We have to be fair to them. Dont tell them you can't afford free education just because you could afford your education back in your day. thats back then, that aint now. Everything is too d... high right now. understand their plight. sympathize with it.
splashmtn
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 1:12 pm    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
I'm of the school, if Bernie had gotten out of the race and supported Hillary she may have won.
I'm of the school that said if everyone would've voted for bernie in the primaries we wouldnt have to have this what if conversation because we would have bernie as the president since those people would have come out and voted in the swing states.

bernie could've said whatever he wanted to say. those people were not going to come out to vote for hil. this was not your normal election. people are TIRED. And no unlike in past elections where different fans of different politicians will listen to and do whatever the politician tells them. that was not this group. yes they loved them some bernie. but even if bernie would've jumped on it and said go for hil early on, most of those people would've still not voted for her. They told you so. why is it that we keep coming up with other things when they told you what they were going to do if bernie was not the choice? why is it so hard for people to understand. They said it, they meant it, and they what they said they were going to do. so to get these people to the booth, you will have to give these people something and that something is probably going to be candidates from the primary on to the general for the white house as well as other races. The majority that always vote for the establishment dem shouldnt be afraid to make that change since you keep saying that your guy/gal has similar to almost identical ideas. So for that alone whats the big deal and changing your vote?
ContagiousInspiration
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 1:25 pm    Post subject:

Hector the Pup wrote:
Quote:
Foreign investors spent $259.6 billion to acquire, launch, and expand businesses in the United States in 2017, according to numbers released Wednesday by the US Bureau of Economic Analysis. That's down from an historic high of $439.5 billion in 2015.

The largest chunk of last year's foreign direct investment came from Canada ($66.2 billion), followed by the United Kingdom and Japan.

I wonder what happened between 2016 and 2017 that led to a 32% drop?

Racism.. that's what.

International student enrollment numbers way down also
splashmtn
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 1:38 pm    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:

but thats the problem there is no compromise for them because they've been compromising their choices for 20+ years. They're done doing that, they are saying our turn to have our pick. You're saying, wait your turn. they are saying at that rate our turn will never come. So you majority do us a solid and switch your vote.

imagine someone asking you to compromise in a deal when they have everything and you dont have anything. what can you compromise on in that scenario? nothing. The person that has everything can stand to lose a little for a time. I mean lets be real here, the last time we had a so called fringe type dem or a non DC dem was what? Jimmy Carter? I mean good grief. throw the bernie lovers a bone for once.

Some will say but we gave you guys obama. i would agree with that until we remember that Obama got half of his money from the people and the other half from...the biggest of ballers. just in case you want to check those facts: http://www.politifact.com/truth-o-meter/statements/2010/apr/22/barack-obama/obama-campaign-financed-large-donors-too/

and look at this one

http://www.latimes.com/projects/la-na-pol-sanders-donors/static/la-g-sanders-donors-by-sector-2016-06-01.png

Guess who gave more to sanders in that chart? Donors without a job. I told you, there are some people on the fringe because they can't afford to vote for the establishment that tells you incremental change. they need something drastic right now.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 1:39 pm    Post subject:

'Unmasking Antifa Act': Proposed US law could send masked anti-fascist activists to prison for 15 years

A US congressman has introduced a bill that could send anti-fascist activists to prison for up to 15 years for protesting in masks.

The bill, introduced by Republican Representative Dan Donovan, imposes penalties on anyone who “injures, oppresses, threatens, or intimidates” another person while wearing a mask or disguise.

While the text of the bill itself does not mention anti-fascist activists, the name is more explicit: “The Unmasking Antifa Act of 2018.”

Hmmmmm . . . wonder why it's not called "Umasking the KKK Act"?
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

splashmtn
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 1:40 pm    Post subject:

kikanga wrote:
ChefLinda wrote:

Don't worry. Once things get bad enough. Bernie will part the clouds, start a revolution, and those who are the purest progressive purists will ascend from this hell rapture style.
Just make sure to say your prayers every night. Just hang a portrait of Bernie on your wall and keep chanting "Hillary would've been just as bad as Trump" till you fall asleep.

corrected for you

Don't worry. Once things get bad enough. Hilary will part the clouds, start a revolution, and those who are the purest establishment/corporate dem voters will ascend from this hell rapture style.
Just make sure to say your prayers every night. Just hang a portrait of Hil on your wall and keep chanting "Bernie Couldn't Have won either" till you fall asleep.
Huey Lewis & The News
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 1:58 pm    Post subject:

ContagiousInspiration wrote:
Daily MAGA

92 year old Mexican American man

Female smashed in his face and head with a brick yelling at him to go back to his country then 4 pathetic cowards jump in and kick him and break his ribs

Probably shouldn't shame Republicans for this though

http://amp.fresnobee.com/news/state/california/article214526429.html
‘Go back to your own country.’ 92-year-old man beaten with a brick, L.A. cops say

racist scum arrested

https://www.nbclosangeles.com/news/local/Willowbrook-Brick-Concrete-Beating-Arrest-Rodolfo-Rodriguez-California-Attack-487886651.html
ContagiousInspiration
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 2:11 pm    Post subject:

Huey Lewis & The News wrote:
ContagiousInspiration wrote:
Daily MAGA

92 year old Mexican American man

Female smashed in his face and head with a brick yelling at him to go back to his country then 4 pathetic cowards jump in and kick him and break his ribs

Probably shouldn't shame Republicans for this though

http://amp.fresnobee.com/news/state/california/article214526429.html
‘Go back to your own country.’ 92-year-old man beaten with a brick, L.A. cops say

racist scum arrested

https://www.nbclosangeles.com/news/local/Willowbrook-Brick-Concrete-Beating-Arrest-Rodolfo-Rodriguez-California-Attack-487886651.html

Thank you

I had figured it would be apprehended soon.. Wonder if she has other children...
https://us-east-1.tchyn.io/snopes-production/uploads/2018/02/19510578_334932460273028_4437980780719315754_n.jpg
https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/donald-trump-incitement-violence/
Omar Little

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 2:52 pm    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:

The truth is there were a lot of ways to win, and whatever those were, winning now is what we can do about it. Buckle up kids. We got work to do.
Aussiesuede
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 4:28 pm    Post subject:

I have a dream that one day Democrats will rise up and live out the true meaning of its creed: "We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all voters are created equal."

I have a dream that one day on the red hills of Georgia, the daughters of former Auto Workers and the young debt strapped technology workers will be able to sit down together at the table of brotherhood.

I have a dream that one day every valley shall be exalted, and every hill and mountain shall be made low, the rough places will be made plain, and the crooked places will be made straight; "and the glory America shall be revealed and all Democrats shall see it together.

I have a dream that Democrats will spend as much of the next two years building astrategy and a plan and discussing that as fervently as they've spent the last year not talking about a strategy and a plan and instead reveling in trying to blame, shame, and tear apart one another.

I have a dream.
I'm On point, On task, On message, and Off drugs. A Streetwise Smart Bomb, Out of rehab and In denial. Over the Top, On the edge, Under the Radar, and In Control. Behind the 8 ball, Ahead of the Curve and I've got a Love Child who sends me Hate mail.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 4:37 pm    Post subject:

Aussiesuede wrote:
I have a dream that one day Democrats will rise up and live out the true meaning of its creed: "We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all voters are created equal."

I have a dream that one day on the red hills of Georgia, the daughters of former Auto Workers and the young debt strapped technology workers will be able to sit down together at the table of brotherhood.

I have a dream that one day every valley shall be exalted, and every hill and mountain shall be made low, the rough places will be made plain, and the crooked places will be made straight; "and the glory America shall be revealed and all Democrats shall see it together.

I have a dream that Democrats will spend as much of the next two years building astrategy and a plan and discussing that as fervently as they've spent the last year not talking about a strategy and a plan and instead reveling in trying to blame, shame, and tear apart one another.

I have a dream.

That's a great dream that we should all share

I hope that people can get past ignoring the evils of Trump while they continue to harp on how horrible the Dems are so we can get on with making that dream come true.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

VicXLakers
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 4:51 pm    Post subject:

Quote:

DONALD TRUMP CALLED ASBESTOS POISONING A MOB-LED CONSPIRACY, NOW HIS EPA WON’T EVALUATE ASBESTOS ALREADY IN HOMES

Nearly 15,000 Americans die each year from asbestos-related diseases, but President Donald Trump has called the substance "100 percent safe, once applied.

In his 1997 book, The Art of the Comeback, Trump argued that the association of the chemical with health risks was part of a mob-created conspiracy. “I believe that the movement against asbestos was led by the mob, because it was often mob-related companies that would do the asbestos removal. Great pressure was put on politicians, and as usual, the politicians relented,” he wrote.

http://www.newsweek.com/pruitt-trump-asbestos-chemicals-trump-962703

put this chump together with the Federalist Society (PNAC lite) and you have the world in chaos he needs to succeed in his own enrichment at your expense
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 5:28 pm    Post subject:

In 1934, an American professor urged that Jews be civil — to the Nazis

“By hating Hitler and trying to fight back,” Cadbury declared in remarks that opened the convention, “Jews are only increasing the severity of his policies against them.”

If Jews instead would educate Nazis about Judaism’s “ideals” and “appeal to the German sense of justice and the German national conscience,” Cadbury continued, the Nazis might well be brought around. Urging Jews to adopt a “live and let live” posture, he said that even nonviolent resistance campaigns such as boycotts were “not the way to right the wrongs being inflicted on the Jewish people.” . . .

Cadbury’s speech provoked outrage among the gathered rabbis, who declared in an official statement that they, along with “all the enlightened forces of mankind,” were committed to resisting Nazism “to the utmost.” Their resistance, they said, was “not prompted by any ill will or hatred of the German people, but by an inescapable moral compulsion.” While “moral persuasion” had its place, they said, it must be “supplemented by every manner of non-violent resistance calculated to bring an end to the [Nazi] regime.”

Rabbi Samuel Shulman, one of the signers of the statement, summed up the prevailing sentiment at the convention: “If we do not resist evil, we go along with it.”

There are obvious parallels to what is going on in the United States today. Some of them very subtle and related to intra-party issues.

Eye on the prize people. Gotta get Trump out as a collective Left, and then we can discuss how to best proceed while engaging in all the various nuances within the Left.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 6:21 pm    Post subject:

I'm watching the Cubs V Giants game at San Francisco on my DVR and saw that they honored about a dozen black kids for some wonderful achievement by having them take the field before the game. I can't imagine how many "There's a bunch of black kids on the field at AT&T Park ruining the game" calls to 911 that generated.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 6:33 pm    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
jodeke wrote:

The truth is there were a lot of ways to win, and whatever those were, winning now is what we can do about it. Buckle up kids. We got work to do.

Winning now is precarious. Trumps base is expanding and they will go to the polls. He has a good chance of being a 2 term president.

Being a known racist, misogynist, xenophobic, Islamophobic, narcissist hasn't moved his base.

Unemployment's low, stock market's doing well, the economy healthy. How do you attack him? What will the Democrats message be?

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 6:59 pm    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
Omar Little wrote:
jodeke wrote:

Winning now is precarious. Trumps base is expanding and they will go to the polls. He has a good chance of being a 2 term president.

Being a known racist, misogynist, xenophobic, Islamophobic, narcissist hasn't moved his base.

Unemployment's low, stock market's doing well, the economy healthy. How do you attack him? What will the Democrats message be?

Clearly you haven't been paying attention.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Surfitall
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 7:11 pm    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
Omar Little wrote:
jodeke wrote:

I’ll tell what it shouldn’t be. It shouldn’t be a platform that says simply, “Trump is bad and needs to go.” That is simply not going to get it done.

It has to be a message that energizes those who didn’t vote for Hillary in the last election. It’s no coincidence that the two campaigns that held huge energetic rallies in the last election were Trump and Sanders. They both were appealing to different sides of the same coin. Decades of neoliberal policies from both the DNC and GOP that made the rich richer, increased the percentage of poor, and diminished the middle class. As Splash keeps trying to get through the noggins, these voters have suffered for decades under leadership from both parties. They are done voting status quo. It’s not holding people hostage, it’s not being vindictive, they are just done voting for candidates that can’t authentically say they want to change things.

It’s actually a great opportunity for universal healthcare, free public college for anyone who wants it, and reversing the Republican tax cuts for the rich and returning to a more progressive and fair tax system.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 981, 982, 983 ... 3661, 3662, 3663  Next
Page 982 of 3663
Jump to: