The JULIUS RANDLE Thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 1500, 1501, 1502 ... 1534, 1535, 1536  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2018 10:29 am    Post subject:

unleasHell wrote:
Dirty Harry (Clint Eastwood) once said:

"A man's got to know his limitations"

Well Randle was limited and he thought he was a max. player and wanted a 3-year $20mil/yr contract, which the Lakers did not agree and thus he is now a Pelican.

I would not be surprised if his numbers next year go down playing next to Davis...

Or that he gets his first trip to the WCFs.
CandyCanes
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: Santa Clarita, CA (Hell) ->>>>>Ithaca, NY -≥≥≥≥≥Berkeley, CA

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2018 10:52 am    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
unleasHell wrote:

Well Randle was limited and he thought he was a max. player and wanted a 3-year $20mil/yr contract, which the Lakers did not agree and thus he is now a Pelican.

I would not be surprised if his numbers next year go down playing next to Davis...

You think the Pelicans will make the WCF?...

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Laker_Dynasty_01
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2018 3:03 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
unleasHell wrote:

AD will play more minutes with Mirotic than he will w/ Randle, and I don't see the trio playing much together. AD attempts only 4-5 shots from beyond 16 feet per game, so Jrue Holiday would have no driving lanes with JR+AD. Randle will come off the bench.

Randle's numbers would've gone down next to LeBron, as have most ball-dominant players who team up with him. Had Randle been our 5, the starting lineup would be substituting Brook for LeBron. Brook had 23.5% Usage last year but only played 23.4 MPG, LeBron is reportedly looking to lower his usage but would be going to the post (he only hit 13 total corner threes last year, generally not a spot up shooter). LeBron wants the lane open.

4yrs/$55M for a poor fit in Randle makes him a liability due to lack of leverage (other teams know he isn't worth that $ on our team as constructed). NO could have still offered that deal had we not rescinded the QO, matching it would delay his departure only a year. Other teams would know he's unhappy and likely to leave, there goes any leverage the Lakers could have in a trade. Any minutes he played would be a waste of an investment.
1hu2ren3dui4
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2018 9:00 pm    Post subject:

CandyCanes wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
unleasHell wrote:

You think the Pelicans will make the WCF?...

I wouldn’t be surprised if they greatly outperformed next year. Randle is gonna look great next to brow
Aike
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2018 6:44 am    Post subject:

dont_be_a_wuss wrote:
The Lakers were very active making trades last year. Made a big trade before the draft, active at the trade deadline making the deal with CLE. The Lakers were trying to deal. It's more likely that nobody wanted Randle. Especially if it meant they had to take Deng too. And they couldn't trade a draft pick until 2020 because our pick for 2018 was traded and the one we got back, which we didnt have until the TDL anyways had protections. What team is taking Deng's contract and a 2 month rental in Randle for a 2020 first round pick.

Wouldn’t have been a 2 month rental since they would have had his RFA rights.
Laker_Dynasty_01
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2018 7:51 am    Post subject:

Aike wrote:
dont_be_a_wuss wrote:
The Lakers were very active making trades last year. Made a big trade before the draft, active at the trade deadline making the deal with CLE. The Lakers were trying to deal. It's more likely that nobody wanted Randle. Especially if it meant they had to take Deng too. And they couldn't trade a draft pick until 2020 because our pick for 2018 was traded and the one we got back, which we didnt have until the TDL anyways had protections. What team is taking Deng's contract and a 2 month rental in Randle for a 2020 first round pick.

It amounts to a two month rental, as any team acquiring him doubted the Lakers would use their RFA rights to match any significant Randle offer this summer. May as well wait and sign him to an offer sheet; bid whatever they think he's worth, and live with the results.

The Deng/Randle trade would still have been there in the summer, even should the Lakers have matched.

If team "A" took Deng's salary in exchange for Randle and Team "B" had come in and offered $15 million per year, Team "A" loses Randle or has to overpay to keep him, while still carrying Deng's dead weight.
Runway8
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2018 9:06 am    Post subject:

Throughout the year as everyone was figuring out the numbers on how to resign Julius with two max guys, I kept saying that Julius may have his own goals. I doubted Jules would want to come back to a team with 2 max guys, as well as being at the bottom of the totem pole in terms of the young core. Management had made it clear through the year that the favorite sons are Kuz, Ingram and Lonzo. Randle just shrugged it off, worked hard and was our best player. But I had the feeling this was coming. I just didn't realize that 1 max was enough to nudge him out, let alone two. He definitely was not appreciated while he was here.

People are upset with Mintz, but if you really think about it. Maginka didn't handle his clients well beginning with the thrashing of D'Lo in the media.
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2018 9:45 am    Post subject:

Wasn't really the max that nudged him out. It was their refusal to give him a 2nd year.

obviously they were trying to sell him on a QO or something of that effect.

When you think about the imaginary brass rings the FO set up and how he grabbed them all, and then walked in wanting to negotiate a new contract as our best player not named LeBron and the FO still tried to short change him and refused even giving the guy a 2nd year.

It's clear why he said enough is enough.

That said, being an RFA they still didn't have to move him.

But you do get tired of hearing "do this and we'll take care of you." only to go on and exceed what was asked, only to have them continue to not want to take care of you. They didn't pick Julius to be their favorite sun or become our best player. And instead of rolling with the punches and embrace that, they decided to continue to try to short change him and keep their tunnel vision on 2019(which he doesn't compromise even on a 2 year contract).

It was what it was at that point.
Aike
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2018 12:26 pm    Post subject:

Laker_Dynasty_01 wrote:
Aike wrote:
dont_be_a_wuss wrote:

It amounts to a two month rental, as any team acquiring him doubted the Lakers would use their RFA rights to match any significant Randle offer this summer. May as well wait and sign him to an offer sheet; bid whatever they think he's worth, and live with the results.

The Deng/Randle trade would still have been there in the summer, even should the Lakers have matched.

If team "A" took Deng's salary in exchange for Randle and Team "B" had come in and offered $15 million per year, Team "A" loses Randle or has to overpay to keep him, while still carrying Deng's dead weight.

No, any team who acquired him would have been in the driver’s seat, just as the Lakers were.

If you liked him long-term and were willing to pay him $12 million per year, you might be able to do that if you hold his RFA rights. You might fear that such an offer would be matched by the Lakers, and you would have to pay him $16 million to prevent a match.

You imbue the team trading for him with foreknowledge that the Lakers wouldn’t match, yet you have another bidder coming in and stealing him from the receiving team.

How bout this? Nobody knows exactly what the other teams will do, or the GMs wouldn’t be good at their jobs. Holding RFA rights grants you a strategic advantage. One the Lakers squandered.
Vancouver Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2018 2:12 pm    Post subject:

Runway8 wrote:
Throughout the year as everyone was figuring out the numbers on how to resign Julius with two max guys, I kept saying that Julius may have his own goals. I doubted Jules would want to come back to a team with 2 max guys, as well as being at the bottom of the totem pole in terms of the young core. Management had made it clear through the year that the favorite sons are Kuz, Ingram and Lonzo. Randle just shrugged it off, worked hard and was our best player. But I had the feeling this was coming. I just didn't realize that 1 max was enough to nudge him out, let alone two. He definitely was not appreciated while he was here.

People are upset with Mintz, but if you really think about it. Maginka didn't handle his clients well beginning with the thrashing of D'Lo in the media.
Good points.
KobeIsTheOne
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 1:16 pm    Post subject: If we don't get Kawhi, letting Randle walk was a bad move

https://www.silverscreenandroll.com/2018/7/11/17562024/la-lakers-nba-free-agency-news-julius-randle-rob-pelinka

This story was published today.

It's no secret that they are going after Kawhi, but look at the list of the other free agents from next year:

"Julius was an unbelievable player for us last year, a great young player,” Pelinka said. “We have a philosophy here that when a player has played here and goes on to another team or gets traded, we just want them to thrive and succeed and we wish him the best.”

"It’s no secret the front office is setting themselves up to pair LeBron James up with another superstar next summer, whether it be Kevin Durant, Jimmy Butler, Kyrie Irving or Kawhi Leonard, who the Lakers have been heavily linked to since Leonard reportedly requested a trade to his hometown.

They didn't mention Klay, but he and Durant aren't going anywhere, much less gearing up to join LeBron. Kyrie isn't coming to play with LeBron.

So you are really talking about maybe Jimmy Butler, and of course Kawhi.

If it's Leonard, then it was worth it, but you are letting a very talented guy walk for the possibility of signing Kawhi. Is Jimmy Butler really an upgrade over Randle in terms of the team's long term success? At best that would be debatable.

It's a lot of eggs in one basket.

http://espn.go.com/nba/dailydime/_/page/dime-130129/daily-dime

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nba-ball-dont-lie/kobe-bryant-thinks-neo-matrix-could-ve-best-174850191--nba.html
The Juggernaut
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 1:18 pm    Post subject:

Blame his agent Mintz. He steered Randle out of here
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 1:19 pm    Post subject:

Durant, Kawhi, Butler, Kyrie, Cousins are all free agents... I'm willing to wager big we get one of them. Also willing to wager that Kyrie won't be that person but one of the others will come. Wait on it.

I would have loved to sign Jules but he wants security so he did what's best for him. He asked to be let go.
KobeIsTheOne
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 1:20 pm    Post subject:

The Juggernaut wrote:

Yeah, Mintz is horrible. This isn't the first time he's done us dirty.

Still, we had control of the situation and could have retained him. I'm not saying Kawhi isn't worth the gamble, but there aren't a lot of other better options (than Randle) if we strike out on KL.

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nba-ball-dont-lie/kobe-bryant-thinks-neo-matrix-could-ve-best-174850191--nba.html
KobeIsTheOne
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 1:21 pm    Post subject:

2019 wrote:
Durant, Kawhi, Butler, Kyrie, Cousins are all free agents... I'm willing to wager big we get one of them. Also willing to wager that Kyrie won't be that person but one of the others will come. Wait on it.

I would have loved to sign Jules but he wants security so he did what's best for him. He asked to be let go.

Won't be Kyrie, and Cousins has injury issues.

You are talking about only possibly Kawhi or Jimmy Butler.

golakersgo121
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 1:22 pm    Post subject:

KobeIsTheOne wrote:
The Juggernaut wrote:

Still, we had control of the situation and could have retained him. I'm not saying Kawhi isn't worth the gamble, but there aren't a lot of other better options (than Randle) if we strike out on KL.

We could have retained him against his wish; using his RFA status. That's what you wanted the Lakers to do?
CamReddish
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 1:23 pm    Post subject:

KobeIsTheOne wrote:
The Juggernaut wrote:

In your I hate Lebron thread you said the Lakers should have signed PG13 instead of Lebron and went after Kawhi next year. They still would have had to let randle walk. But that would have been ok? lol. Stop making threads.
KobeIsTheOne
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 1:24 pm    Post subject:

golakersgo121 wrote:
KobeIsTheOne wrote:
The Juggernaut wrote:

We could have retained him against his wish; using his RFA status. That's what you wanted the Lakers to do?

Not saying that. It was only "against his wish" because we didn't want to lock him up to more than a year.

If he stayed, I think we should have signed him to a 2+ year deal.

That being said, it's worth the risk to go after Kawhi. All I'm saying is - if it's NOT Kawhi that we land, who is going to be a better player to have on the team next summer? Randle or ....Jimmy Butler? None of the other FA are realistic options.

CamReddish
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 1:25 pm    Post subject:

KobeIsTheOne wrote:
2019 wrote:

Won't be Kyrie, and Cousins has injury issues.

You are talking about only possibly Kawhi or Jimmy Butler.

No, you are talking about a bunch of stuff. Some mid teir guys, trade for someone to fill the cap space, See how cousins recovers and offer more money.

It isn't just 2 guys.
AFireInside619
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Randle will be missed. Now let the dead rest.
KobeIsTheOne
Star Player
Star Player

LBJ23 wrote:
KobeIsTheOne wrote:
The Juggernaut wrote:

In your I hate Lebron thread you said the Lakers should have signed PG13 instead of Lebron and went after Kawhi next year. They still would have had to let randle walk. But that would have been ok? lol. Stop making threads.

Who said "I hate LeBron"? Stop taking things out of context and making stuff up.

greenfrog
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 1:26 pm    Post subject:

2019 wrote:

I don't think it was security he was after, it was shots. Does anyone actually believe he intends to exercise that second year option in NO?
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 1:29 pm    Post subject:

golakersgo121 wrote:
KobeIsTheOne wrote:
The Juggernaut wrote:

Personally, I would have. He was a tradeable assets at 2 years/$18 million. Not sure why the Lakers just let him walk. That's what the RFA feature is all about: go out and find a deal and if we like it will match. I wonder if the Lakers simply didn't think he was that good and his stats were simply over inflated as the result of being on a bad team.
golakersgo121
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

AFireInside619 wrote:
Randle will be missed. Now let the dead rest.

yep
leor_77
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

If you want to make an omelette, you have to crack a couple eggs.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 1500, 1501, 1502 ... 1534, 1535, 1536  Next
Page 1501 of 1536
Jump to: