Official MMA thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 440, 441, 442 ... 497, 498, 499  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Moses
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2018 7:20 am    Post subject:

Thought it was a really good card actually, was not looking forward to it so much when Max was pulled, but turned out to be a good card anyway.

Ngannou vs Lewis was the strangest fight I've ever seen. Only explanation I could offer is that Francis was so weary of Lewis' power that he didn't wanna get in there and risk being KOd. Super boring.

Gotta admit, I've always had a huge soft spot for Pettis, always liked him. Really happy for him to get a big win after a series of high profile losses, his story of champ to ordinary guy is a weird one, nice to see him get a W.

Damn, DC crushed Stipe with that shot, absolutely perfect hit. Could've done without the WWE theatrics after, but I guess it was entertaining in a way. DC should be remember as a really good fighter, but never a GOAT, he was beaten twice by Jones, put to sleep tine last time. Hopefully Jones gets cleared soon and they can have a 3rd time around.

Mamba Forever
The Marathon Continues
Still I Rise
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2018 11:52 am    Post subject:

22 wrote:
That was the most bizarre fight I’ve ever seen (Ngannou vs Lewis)

Fixed fight?

Ngannou going easy on Lewis because of his back?

I’m at a loss

Nah, Ngannou is still shell shocked from the loss to Stipe. Guy couldn't pull the trigger.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2018 12:55 pm    Post subject:

jonnybravo wrote:
22 wrote:
That was the most bizarre fight I’ve ever seen (Ngannou vs Lewis)

Fixed fight?

Ngannou going easy on Lewis because of his back?

I’m at a loss

Nah, Ngannou is still shell shocked from the loss to Stipe. Guy couldn't pull the trigger.

That’s what Rogan was saying too! Dang man that’s shocking if true that a guy that big could be scared. With Lewis at least we know he couldn’t move due to his back.

I’ve never seen Herb have to tel two fighters to engage lol.

Love the long posts by GtR and Moses and OLG too! That was a hell of a card!

I think it will wind up being USADA clearing Jones in time to fight DC again where the winner gets Brock before DC’s retirement next March. I think both of them would beat Brock lol but it’s a nice PPV attraction. If DC finished his career beating Jones then Brock it would be insane. If Jones beat DC at heavyweight and didn’t pop DC would be out of excuses.

What do y’all wanna see next in middleweight? Whittaker vs Gastelum already booked for TUF. Costa vs Adesanya? Costa vs Romero?? Costa vs USADA? Lol
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
xxsicrokerxx
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2018 1:26 pm    Post subject:

I don't get it. Brock's character is being built up like he's some bada$$. He would easily get rekt by DC.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2018 1:50 pm    Post subject:

xxsicrokerxx wrote:
I don't get it. Brock's character is being built up like he's some bada$$. He would easily get rekt by DC.

Just money lol. My friend was naive enough to bet me a case of dew that Lesnar would win bahaha
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Moses
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2018 2:07 pm    Post subject:

xxsicrokerxx wrote:

You see it more these days, the personality and hype creates interest. McGregor probably took it to the next level with UFC, now others employs that line of action to hype their fights up.

DC v Brock probably isn’t worth the hype, Brock is too one dimensional.

Mamba Forever
The Marathon Continues
Still I Rise
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2018 3:16 pm    Post subject:

Moses wrote:
xxsicrokerxx wrote:

You see it more these days, the personality and hype creates interest. McGregor probably took it to the next level with UFC, now others employs that line of action to hype their fights up.

DC v Brock probably isn’t worth the hype, Brock is too one dimensional.

Yeah, and DC's training partner Cain already showed the perfect game plan against Brock. DC is 100% capable of replicating that flies on sh1t/Tasmanian devil pressure attack on Brock. Brock will wilt like a typical bully when he gets tagged flush for the first time.
OregonLakerGuy
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2018 5:01 pm    Post subject:

I'm not at all a Lesnar fan, but he is a gigantic man and nothing to take lightly. I am also not sure that DC can swarm as effectively as Cain. Pressure is Cain's superpower and Lesnar was not healthy.
I would still pick DC, but I would be more nervous than you guys.
BTW, I think it's DC/Lesnar at the end of the year. I don't see a Cain elimination fight. Looking forward to a likely Miocic/Velasquez fight. Maybe even on the same card?
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2018 6:06 pm    Post subject:

OregonLakerGuy wrote:
I'm not at all a Lesnar fan, but he is a gigantic man and nothing to take lightly. I am also not sure that DC can swarm as effectively as Cain. Pressure is Cain's superpower and Lesnar was not healthy.
I would still pick DC, but I would be more nervous than you guys.
BTW, I think it's DC/Lesnar at the end of the year. I don't see a Cain elimination fight. Looking forward to a likely Miocic/Velasquez fight. Maybe even on the same card?

No doubt. He has the power and explosiveness to end it in an instant.
eureca
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2018 7:36 pm    Post subject:

Moses wrote:
Thought it was a really good card actually, was not looking forward to it so much when Max was pulled, but turned out to be a good card anyway.

Ngannou vs Lewis was the strangest fight I've ever seen. Only explanation I could offer is that Francis was so weary of Lewis' power that he didn't wanna get in there and risk being KOd. Super boring.

Gotta admit, I've always had a huge soft spot for Pettis, always liked him. Really happy for him to get a big win after a series of high profile losses, his story of champ to ordinary guy is a weird one, nice to see him get a W.

Damn, DC crushed Stipe with that shot, absolutely perfect hit. Could've done without the WWE theatrics after, but I guess it was entertaining in a way. DC should be remember as a really good fighter, but never a GOAT, he was beaten twice by Jones, put to sleep tine last time. Hopefully Jones gets cleared soon and they can have a 3rd time around.

DC had been saying he wanted to fight Brock and then Jon after Stipe. Last night after he won I heard him say Brock and then that's it. Maybe he realizes Jon is just the 1 guy he can't beat. He probably wants to go out on a win.
Gimme_the_rock
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Location: Looking outta the window, watching the asphalt grow ...

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 7:36 am    Post subject:

22 wrote:

What do y’all wanna see next in middleweight? Whittaker vs Gastelum already booked for TUF. Costa vs Adesanya? Costa vs Romero?? Costa vs USADA? Lol

Watched Dana at the post fight presser and when told about Adesanya calling out Costa basically gave Israel a pat on the back for being so game but then quickly shot down the possibility. The new UFC is all about building/hyping up fighters and especially those from countries other than US, who have large markets but need fighters to step up. It's why they'll likely continue to be very selective with Till and the same with Costa. The Brazilian roster is in need of some fresh blood to infuse and reinvigorate its rabid fan base. RDA, Aldo, Silva need to be replaced so I can imagine they'll be giving Costa special attention.

I think Romero is the odd man out here. Maybe they'll encourage him to go up to Light Heavyweight.

I don't think Gastelum has much of a chance against Whittaker. But maybe I'm underrating Kelvin?
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 9:50 am    Post subject:

Gimme_the_rock wrote:
22 wrote:

Watched Dana at the post fight presser and when told about Adesanya calling out Costa basically gave Israel a pat on the back for being so game but then quickly shot down the possibility. The new UFC is all about building/hyping up fighters and especially those from countries other than US, who have large markets but need fighters to step up. It's why they'll likely continue to be very selective with Till and the same with Costa. The Brazilian roster is in need of some fresh blood to infuse and reinvigorate its rabid fan base. RDA, Aldo, Silva need to be replaced so I can imagine they'll be giving Costa special attention.

I think Romero is the odd man out here. Maybe they'll encourage him to go up to Light Heavyweight.

I don't think Gastelum has much of a chance against Whittaker. But maybe I'm underrating Kelvin?

agreed. As interesting as it would be it's too early to put the young studs against each other.

That means it's gotta be Weidman vs Costa in Brazil. Romero is the odd man out because there's no one he could fight that will put him in a better spot. I can't see them giving him adesanya either since I don't think they want to risk derailing him. I wish Yoel would call it a career unless they give him a title shot at LHW. Seems like he's too small for it though

Yeah I think Whittaker will be too fast for Gastelum with the same amount of power.
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 6:12 pm    Post subject:

Ngannou pretty much admitted that the vestiges of fear from his last fight caused him to fight the way he did in an Instagram post. What a way to make a living...
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 6:51 pm    Post subject:

jonnybravo wrote:
Ngannou pretty much admitted that the vestiges of fear from his last fight caused him to fight the way he did in an Instagram post. What a way to make a living...

I saw that and was gonna post it here but my work internet went out smh.

Here’s another nugget I just found from helwani

Quote:
Malki Kawa says Yoel Romero is talking with the UFC about going up to Light Heavyweight.

He said he thinks DC should fight Yoel Romero for the Light Heavyweight title.
Gimme_the_rock
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 7:14 am    Post subject:

jonnybravo wrote:

That's some Ronda-level shook right there.
Gimme_the_rock
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 7:18 am    Post subject:

22 wrote:
jonnybravo wrote:

I saw that and was gonna post it here but my work internet went out smh.

Here’s another nugget I just found from helwani

Quote:
Malki Kawa says Yoel Romero is talking with the UFC about going up to Light Heavyweight.

He said he thinks DC should fight Yoel Romero for the Light Heavyweight title.

I'd be down for Yoel/DC scrap. But I don't know if that makes sense to Cormier $-wise. Although, for some reason, he was talking to Helwani about being interested in facing off against Shogun Rua as a fight to take before Brock.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 2:37 pm    Post subject:

Gimme_the_rock wrote:

I'd be down for Yoel/DC scrap. But I don't know if that makes sense to Cormier $-wise. Although, for some reason, he was talking to Helwani about being interested in facing off against Shogun Rua as a fight to take before Brock.

Yeah how bizarre was that?! When I told my co-worker he looked at me with the westbrook face lol. I think DC just wants a big name who is an easy fight at 205 so he can still be champ champ when he fights brock.
Gimme_the_rock
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 2:46 pm    Post subject:

22 wrote:
Gimme_the_rock wrote:

Yeah how bizarre was that?! When I told my co-worker he looked at me with the westbrook face lol. I think DC just wants a big name who is an easy fight at 205 so he can still be champ champ when he fights brock.

Nailed it.

That two-title holding status is REAL important to him especially with the opportunity to pass Conor as being the only one to actively defend both straps. He’s all about legacy with just two fights max left.
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 4:22 pm    Post subject:

Gimme_the_rock wrote:
jonnybravo wrote:

You called it 2 minutes into the fight.
Gimme_the_rock
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 4:36 pm    Post subject:

jonnybravo wrote:
Gimme_the_rock wrote:
jonnybravo wrote:

One of my favorite aspects while watching a fight is trying to read the combatants, when they’ve been hurt but are pretending to be fine, when they’re gassed but are acting as if they’re taking a strategical pause to regroup, are quitting slowly and are looking for a way out and, the hardest one for me to read, feigning to lure their opponent in to catch them careless and overconfident.

Once Ngannou’s full tilt, pedal to the medal, haymaker barrage was endured and exposed, dude felt naked. That’s easier to spot.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 3:23 pm    Post subject:

Gimme_the_rock wrote:
jonnybravo wrote:
Gimme_the_rock wrote:
jonnybravo wrote:

One of my favorite aspects while watching a fight is trying to read the combatants, when they’ve been hurt but are pretending to be fine, when they’re gassed but are acting as if they’re taking a strategical pause to regroup, are quitting slowly and are looking for a way out and, the hardest one for me to read, feigning to lure their opponent in to catch them careless and overconfident.

Once Ngannou’s full tilt, pedal to the medal, haymaker barrage was endured and exposed, dude felt naked. That’s easier to spot.

The bolded annoys me so much when they try to be cocky with it and mimic the Mutumbo finger wag.

Chiesa drove me crazy with this and I was happy Pettis won
Gimme_the_rock
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 4:57 am    Post subject:

22 wrote:

The bolded annoys me so much when they try to be cocky with it and mimic the Mutumbo finger wag.

Talk about a lesson in humility. At one point, JB turned to me and said, “I thought Chiesa was supposed to be good.” lol

I think that dude vastly underestimated Pettis while similarly overestimating his own prowess. The recipe for a heaping serving of humble pie. It’s almost like he trained for a completely different fighter. He had nothing for Showtime and looked rather pedestrian trying to put whatever he thought he going to do together.

The win does help but Pettis but, all things considered, I don’t know how much. Well, other than halting some of the hemorrhaging his previous shine has been sapped of. He’ll definitely get a higher ranked opponent next and a new opportunity to continue on an upswing but I’m speaking more of what his victory means in the context of facing fighters who won’t take him lightly or for granted.

Would be some kind of a comeback story, that’s for sure and I will be watching far more eagerly now as I too was guilty of overlooking him. He’s got a very entertaining style. Did he make a call out during his octagon interview? I wonder who they’ll pit him against next.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 8:38 am    Post subject:

Gimme_the_rock wrote:
22 wrote:

Talk about a lesson in humility. At one point, JB turned to me and said, “I thought Chiesa was supposed to be good.” lol

I think that dude vastly underestimated Pettis while similarly overestimating his own prowess. The recipe for a heaping serving of humble pie. It’s almost like he trained for a completely different fighter. He had nothing for Showtime and looked rather pedestrian trying to put whatever he thought he going to do together.

The win does help but Pettis but, all things considered, I don’t know how much. Well, other than halting some of the hemorrhaging his previous shine has been sapped of. He’ll definitely get a higher ranked opponent next and a new opportunity to continue on an upswing but I’m speaking more of what his victory means in the context of facing fighters who won’t take him lightly or for granted.

Would be some kind of a comeback story, that’s for sure and I will be watching far more eagerly now as I too was guilty of overlooking him. He’s got a very entertaining style. Did he make a call out during his octagon interview? I wonder who they’ll pit him against next.

I don't recall him making a call out. I think he was just super excited to get back to winning haha.

Lots of talent in 155. I could see him vs Kevin Lee being booked if Lee winds up on the outside of the Khabib/conor/ferguson title picture. Then you got Poirier/Alvarez in the mix too

BTW Yoel is campaigning HARD for a 205 title fight with DC on Twitter. Even twitted the head kick pic of Jones/DC from 214 lol.

Cormier aint taking that fight haha no way. Way too risky lol
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 8:26 am    Post subject:

Fellas we got a Welterweight tourney in bellator that could get interesting.

At WW in the UFC rumor is they're stripping Covington because he doesn't want to fight in September and giving the title shot to Till.

Oezdamir out with injury UFC trying to find a replacement for Gustuffson for Aug 4

Anderson Silver cleared by USADA (tainted supplement) and can fight again as early as October.

Whittaker says he won't be ready to fight until at least Feb 2019. So what does UFC do at MW? Does Weidman fight Costa? Who does Adesanya fight? Who does Silva fight?

Silva vs Adesanya possibly?? Does that make sense?
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2018 12:31 am    Post subject:

22 wrote:
Fellas we got a Welterweight tourney in bellator that could get interesting.

At WW in the UFC rumor is they're stripping Covington because he doesn't want to fight in September and giving the title shot to Till.

Oezdamir out with injury UFC trying to find a replacement for Gustuffson for Aug 4

Anderson Silver cleared by USADA (tainted supplement) and can fight again as early as October.

Whittaker says he won't be ready to fight until at least Feb 2019. So what does UFC do at MW? Does Weidman fight Costa? Who does Adesanya fight? Who does Silva fight?

Silva vs Adesanya possibly?? Does that make sense?

Israel said he's down to fight the Spider on his IG. Old lion is going to get eaten alive.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 440, 441, 442 ... 497, 498, 499  Next
Page 441 of 499
Jump to: