GOODBYE LUOL DENG (Deng Bought Out & Stretched, p. 133)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 118, 119, 120 ... 155, 156, 157  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ExPatLkrFan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 5:43 pm    Post subject:

So let me get this straight. The Lakers FO benched Deng for a season and a half in order to develope the young guys. I guess that would be Nance and Randle since Dengs optimal position was PF. So Nance gets sent out in a salary dump for IT and Frye who aren't with the team and Randle was released for nothing after he developed into a pretty good player. (They developed him for NO). Meanwhile Dengs career is essentially over due to the benching and the intimation that he can't play anymore. But yet they want him to take a big pay cut in a buyout so he can hook up with another team that will make up the difference in salary even though the narrative is that he can't play anymore. If they we're just going to dump Randle in the first place why bench Deng last year? They could have at least raised his trade value.

Last edited by ExPatLkrFan on Wed Jul 11, 2018 5:44 pm; edited 1 time in total
Laker's Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 5:43 pm    Post subject:

Next offseason, Deng's contract as an expiring in a cap space rich environment isn't a big deal. It can be salary ballast for a trade, or be stretched over three years, or traded with cash/picks into space or for a smaller expiring. I wonder what kind of buyout he might be willing to accept if he's otherwise going to be stashed in the locker room for another year. That would effectively be the end of his career. For the math to be worth it for LA, I think he'd have to give up at least $12 million.

Edit: They could wait until after the stretch deadline for this season (September?) and negotiate a buyout, stretching just his 2019-20 salary. In that scenario, he could give back less and have it be worth it for LA.
ExPatLkrFan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 5:49 pm    Post subject:

Next year is going to be similar to 2016. A lot of teams with capspace overpaying for middling talent and imediately suffering buyer's remorse. Agents will be throwing a party though.
cital
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 6:17 pm    Post subject:

The dream deal is Deng and 2019 first for Dedmon, but one first probably isn’t enough...
JUST-MING
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 6:35 pm    Post subject:

He has an opportunity to contribute this season. He has no leverage to force a trade nor contract buyout since this is no longer a developing young roster but a championship caliber roster.
24Legend007
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 6:49 pm    Post subject:

40 games, shows he can still play a little. He has played hard minutes, but he took a year off. He is 33 years old. Backup spot pf minutes.
LuciusAllen
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 8:10 pm    Post subject:

24Legend007 wrote:
40 games, shows he can still play a little. He has played hard minutes, but he took a year off. He is 33 years old. Backup spot pf minutes.

As suggested in Emplay's podcast, he could actually be a good candidate for a small-ball center.
Daphanabe
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 8:20 pm    Post subject:

LuciusAllen wrote:
24Legend007 wrote:

As suggested in Emplay's podcast, he could actually be a good candidate for a small-ball center.

+1 on this. Who knows, he might be the missing ingredient to our very own death lineup: Deng, LABron, Kuz, Hart (or KCP), Ball (if he shoots like he did against SA for the whole season).
CamReddish
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 8:22 pm    Post subject:

JUST-MING wrote:
He has an opportunity to contribute this season. He has no leverage to force a trade nor contract buyout since this is no longer a developing young roster but a championship caliber roster.

When has he ever had leverage to force a trade?

This is the Deng thread. Lol
JeezyXVII
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 10:04 pm    Post subject:

Deng was a smart player when he was getting playing time, still only 33 like LBJ and has been resting for almost 2 years, so he should have something left in the tank.

if he can provide 7-10 strong minutes a game over 45-50 games just to rebound, move the ball around and collect a few fouls, it would be very helpful to the team overall.

Maybe if we run McGee, Deng, LBJ, KCP/Lance and Rondo, he might be a positive contributor with the vets.
epak
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 10:22 pm    Post subject:

Since this year is strictly about winning, perhaps Deng will play.
But then again, no way he gets minutes over Kuzma as the backup 4.
And just like last year, luke and Deng may agree not to play Deng at all instead of limited minutes.
unleasHell
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 10:38 pm    Post subject:

I'm reading a lot of fans would at least like to see what he has to contribute, as do I.

Two points that were not well discussed are:

1. Is the reason he is not playing is that the current Laker brain-trust want to ensure ALL the blame for signing him stays with Mitch/Jimbo? Cause if they play him and he actually looks good, then they look bad for not playing him and Mitch/Jimbo get some redemption?

2. The current Laker brain-trust should be more concerned on how potential FA's view them treating previous FA's and may perceive his treatment as being harsh and unreasonable and thus NOT want to sign here...
Daphanabe
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 10:42 pm    Post subject:

unleasHell wrote:
I'm reading a lot of fans would at least like to see what he has to contribute, as do I.

1. Is the reason he is not playing is that the current Laker brain-trust want to ensure ALL the blame for signing him stays with Mitch/Jimbo? Cause if they play him and he actually looks good, then they look bad for not playing him and Mitch/Jimbo get some redemption?

Magilinka have proven to be so far ahead of the dumpster fire that was Kupchak/Jimbo that I highly doubt they even care about this in the slightest with regard to Deng.
trablos
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 7:18 pm    Post subject:

epak wrote:
And just like last year, luke and Deng may agree not to play Deng at all instead of limited minutes.

I still don't get his decision not to play...wouldn't he rather get a few minutes than racking up DNP-CD's?
Bard207
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 7:23 pm    Post subject:

unleasHell wrote:

2. The current Laker brain-trust should be more concerned on how potential FA's view them treating previous FA's and may perceive his treatment as being harsh and unreasonable and thus NOT want to sign here...

He didn't want the leftover minutes and mop up duty after the young players ate first.
Bard207
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 7:25 pm    Post subject:

trablos wrote:
epak wrote:

I still don't get his decision not to play...wouldn't he rather get a few minutes than racking up DNP-CD's?

It would hurt his pride/ego to be getting leftover minutes rather than key minutes.
Eindhoven
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 11:52 pm    Post subject:

Denver dumped $21M in salaries to the Nets for the cost of one 1st round pick (protected Top-12) and one 2nd round. Although Kenneth Faried and Darrell Arthur may be more useful than Deng, we can expect more teams with cap space available next year.

Just posting it here, to give an idea of what we can expect for dumping Deng's contract next year.
epak
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 11:58 pm    Post subject:

Bard207 wrote:
trablos wrote:
epak wrote:

It would hurt his pride/ego to be getting leftover minutes rather than key minutes.

Perhaps he'd rather be running simulation games in the training room during actual games like he did last year?
Jesusdelonla
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2018 12:37 am    Post subject:

Eindhoven wrote:
Denver dumped $21M in salaries to the Nets for the cost of one 1st round pick (protected Top-12) and one 2nd round. Although Kenneth Faried and Darrell Arthur may be more useful than Deng, we can expect more teams with cap space available next year.

Just posting it here, to give an idea of what we can expect for dumping Deng's contract next year.

43million in tax.

Quote:

Clearing out the Kenneth Faried and Darrell Arthur contract saves Denver a combined $43M in salary and projected luxury tax. The Nuggets now have 14 players on guaranteed contracts and are now $8.7M below the luxury tax. Denver this offseason has saved a projected $90M in salary and tax by trading Faried, Arthur and recently Wilson Chandler in a previous trade to Philadelphia.
Joe Pesci
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2018 6:38 am    Post subject:

LuciusAllen wrote:
24Legend007 wrote:

He’s been reading my post sir.
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2018 11:15 am    Post subject:

FYI:

The 5 Worst NBA Contracts from the Last 5 Years

Deng & Mozgov make top 4!

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2783248-5-most-regrettable-nba-contracts-given-out-over-the-last-5-years#slide4
Staccatos
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2018 11:23 am    Post subject:

I think it's stupid to keep sitting Deng. He's not injured and he's a team player. He's still a legit/somewhat NBA player. I like him better than Lance. Play the dude.
Dr. Funkbot
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2018 12:22 pm    Post subject:

pio2u wrote:
FYI:

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2783248-5-most-regrettable-nba-contracts-given-out-over-the-last-5-years#slide4

I still can't believe we did not get a team option on the 4'th year of these contracts at least.
Eindhoven
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2018 2:49 pm    Post subject:

Jesusdelonla wrote:
Eindhoven wrote:

43million in tax.

Quote:

Clearing out the Kenneth Faried and Darrell Arthur contract saves Denver a combined $43M in salary and projected luxury tax. The Nuggets now have 14 players on guaranteed contracts and are now $8.7M below the luxury tax. Denver this offseason has saved a projected $90M in salary and tax by trading Faried, Arthur and recently Wilson Chandler in a previous trade to Philadelphia.

True, but the point is how much it costed the Nets to absorb the salaries. It’s still US$ 21M for a 1st and a 2nd, from their POV.
Travis Bickle
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2018 2:53 pm    Post subject:

Dr. Funkbot wrote:
pio2u wrote:
FYI:

I still can't believe we did not get a team option on the 4'th year of these contracts at least.

I remember the night those signings happened. There was people on this board defending the signing. What a complete disaster that was.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 118, 119, 120 ... 155, 156, 157  Next
Page 119 of 157
Jump to: