Official MAGINKA Front Office Thread (Ignored coaching staff's pleas to re-sign Brook Lopez and Randle pg. 145)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 51, 52, 53 ... 172, 173, 174  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
petergr
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 1:45 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
Pelinka also detailed the moves made around LeBron: “Earvin and I, we had boards, literally hundreds of boards of, ‘Here’s what would happen if this guy signed. Here’s what would happen if free agent No. 2 signs, where it was all played out in advance.’” He said they’d spent months studying film, doing analytics, doing background, and wanted to stick to the core components they’d outlined. So as soon as LeBron committed, Pelinka was calling agents for players about terms.

petergr
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 1:47 pm    Post subject:

Pelinka: Lakers designed to combat Warriors
http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/24070278/los-angeles-lakers-gm-rob-pelinka-built-team-differently-lebron-james

"If your goal is to win a championship, you've got to look at the way the champs are assembled and how you can give yourself the best chance to take them down," Pelinka said. "It is certainly part of the equation. ... Earvin [Johnson] and I had a conversation and LeBron echoed this sentiment -- I think to try to play the Warriors at their own game is a trap. No one is going to beat them at their own game, so that is why we wanted to add these elements of defense and toughness and depth and try to look at areas where we will have an advantage."

troy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 1:48 pm    Post subject:

Definitely doesn't sound like KL is in the works now. I'm happy about that. I've said from day one that the Lakers should roll with their young core.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 3:38 pm    Post subject:

petergr wrote:
http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/24070278/los-angeles-lakers-gm-rob-pelinka-built-team-differently-lebron-james

"If your goal is to win a championship, you've got to look at the way the champs are assembled and how you can give yourself the best chance to take them down," Pelinka said. "It is certainly part of the equation. ... Earvin [Johnson] and I had a conversation and LeBron echoed this sentiment -- I think to try to play the Warriors at their own game is a trap. No one is going to beat them at their own game, so that is why we wanted to add these elements of defense and toughness and depth and try to look at areas where we will have an advantage."

When I first read that, I thought that Pelinka was nuts. But on reflection, I understand what he is saying. He isn’t saying that Lebron plus Rondo, Casey P., Stephenson, and McGee are going to take down the Warriors. He is saying that he wants to bolster the defensive spine and toughness of our existing team, rather than loading up on offense and trying to play the Warriors’ style. I am not sold on that particular group of players, but I think Pelinka and Magic have the right idea.
Lonzo'sBalls
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 3:47 pm    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
petergr wrote:

When I first read that, I thought that Pelinka was nuts. But on reflection, I understand what he is saying. He isn’t saying that Lebron plus Rondo, Casey P., Stephenson, and McGee are going to take down the Warriors. He is saying that he wants to bolster the defensive spine and toughness of our existing team, rather than loading up on offense and trying to play the Warriors’ style. I am not sold on that particular group of players, but I think Pelinka and Magic have the right idea.

I agree and don't think its nuts at all. There is no way you can beat the warriors at their own game, you just can't assemble that kind of shooting talent because they have it all!
USCandLakers
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 3:53 pm    Post subject:

Lonzo'sBalls wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:
petergr wrote:

I agree and don't think its nuts at all. There is no way you can beat the warriors at their own game, you just can't assemble that kind of shooting talent because they have it all!

I feel like you can. Houston was close.

But I think the formula is 2 superstars + 3 and D + Interior Defender.

You're not beating that team without 2 superstars and a top defense.
70sdude
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 4:17 pm    Post subject:

petergr wrote:

I think Magic Johnson is making a mistake in remembering how the Pistons took down his own Showtime Lakers, and from that extrapolates how the Lakers now can build a defense-first team to similarly take down the Warriors.

It won't work.

1. The rules about defensive contact have radically changed since 1989, such that a team radically slanted towards defense - one coupled with poor perimeter shooting - can't win the title today. Can't.

2. The error in his plan is found in a second poor interpretation of history and its transference of lessons to today. He's forgotten that the Lakers were incredibly reduced as an offensive power in Kareem's old age, such that a top defensive club could break down the Lakers. The Warriors' starters are in their prime, save for Iggy who is 34. The Lakers never won the trophy after '88 because Kareem got old and retired - first and foremost. Nothing like that has happened to the Warriors, and in facts, they're probably as strong today as in any of the four past seasons.
24Legend007
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 4:20 pm    Post subject:

KB8SD wrote:
https://dai.ly/x6o8cfo
Bol
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 4:22 pm    Post subject:

Any plan to beat the Warriors is very unlikely to work. They're an all-time great team. But it's worth a shot. And it's not like they just said the hell with shooting. As Rob pointed out, they have a number of good shooters.
trablos
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 4:22 pm    Post subject:

70sdude wrote:
petergr wrote:

I think Magic Johnson is making a mistake in remembering how the Pistons took down his own Showtime Lakers, and from that extrapolates how the Lakers now can build a defense-first team to similarly take down the Warriors.

It won't work.

1. The rules about defensive contact have radically changed since 1989, such that a team radically slanted towards defense - one coupled with poor perimeter shooting - can't win the title today. Can't.

2. The error in his plan is found in a second poor interpretation of history and its transference of lessons to today. He's forgotten that the Lakers were incredibly reduced as an offensive power in Kareem's old age, such that a top defensive club could break down the Lakers. The Warriors' starters are in their prime, save for Iggy who is 34. The Lakers never won the trophy after '88 because Kareem got old and retired - first and foremost. Nothing like that has happened to the Warriors, and in facts, they're probably as strong today as in any of the four past seasons.

You just built an argument on a notion that doesn't exist. Ironic considering your username
24Legend007
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 4:23 pm    Post subject:

The Alchemist is my favorite book as well.
P.K.
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 4:24 pm    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
petergr wrote:

It's actually not a bad idea. You get some tough defenders who are playoff proven in here on 1 years to really really push the young guys hard - and then push them even harder. They get to see which of the young guys can grow into roles and which ones have the stones for that kind of game. They'll make the playoffs this year, and the young guys learn from that too.
Next year, they have all those ending contracts and they know which young guys they want to keep. Then they sign Kawhi or some other top free agent, assemble a WCF finals team.
It seems like a fairly workable plan.
I suspect that a lot of guys will have their feet held to the fire this year - prove it or lose it
Lonzo, Zu, Kuzma (especially his D) immediately spring to mind
NPZ's Magic Johnson mix: www.youtube.com/watch?v=q8Qbo0WqvOI
JPaulK0n
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 4:33 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
Jerry West: "All due respect to the Lakers, who handled everything well, but, as these things go, LeBron was not a tough free-agent signing. LeBron wanted to come to L.A. and he wanted to come to the Lakers. Period. He has a family he's thinking about. He has a home here."

The Logo still bitter that Maginka didn't want him to come back to the Lakers to take the credit for bringing back the Lakers.
Vanquish
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 5:17 pm    Post subject:

JPaulK0n wrote:
Quote:
Jerry West: "All due respect to the Lakers, who handled everything well, but, as these things go, LeBron was not a tough free-agent signing. LeBron wanted to come to L.A. and he wanted to come to the Lakers. Period. He has a family he's thinking about. He has a home here."

The Logo still bitter that Maginka didn't want him to come back to the Lakers to take the credit for bringing back the Lakers.

Arn't the clippers in LA? Don't the Clippers have the same advantages in terms of Lebron's home preferences and family considerations?

Its not like West is the GM of memphis anymore lol
VicXLakers
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 5:24 pm    Post subject:

24Legend007 wrote:

I'm more of a THE ALCHEMY OF THE HEAVENS kind of guy

http://kencroswell.com/alchemyexcerpt.html
The Juggernaut
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 5:26 pm    Post subject:

Vanquish wrote:
JPaulK0n wrote:
Quote:

Arn't the clippers in LA? Don't the Clippers have the same advantages in terms of Lebron's home preferences and family considerations?

The Logo is salty Jeanie and Magic didn't want him back.
24Legend007
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 5:57 pm    Post subject:

VicXLakers wrote:
24Legend007 wrote:

Looks interesting, I'll have to check it out.
kwase
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 6:12 pm    Post subject:

petergr wrote:

So you sign a guy that doesn't play defense and has lost to them 3 out of 4 times.
Judah
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 6:25 pm    Post subject:

kwase wrote:
petergr wrote:

So you sign a guy that doesn't play defense and has lost to them 3 out of 4 times.

So signing LeBron has hurt their chances of beating the Warriors?

Who should they have signed instead then? Go ahead.
Judah
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 6:49 pm    Post subject:

One thing that should work to their favor against GS is their identity as a defense first team that plays at a breakneck pace. Golden State’s biggest flaw is that they don’t take care of the ball. Take advantage of their live ball turnovers by striking in transition every time. Every single time. I almost get the sense that they want to play even faster next season. That could be a big reason why they elected to part ways with Brook and are rolling with McGee instead. Based off of that recent McGee interview, it sounds like they’ve already given him the goal of being the fastest 7 footer in the league next year.
LakerSanity

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 7:02 pm    Post subject:

Vanquish wrote:
JPaulK0n wrote:
Quote:

What's really funny is that with Jordan opting out, the Clippers could have signed Lebron and, so long as they didn't give Lou that multi-year deal, would have had a max slot just like us next year. In fact, as things stand now, they'll have $56m in cap space next summer. The big difference is that while the Clippers would still have $22m committed to Galo, the Lakers have that money committed to multiple players - Ingram, Ball, Kuz, Hart and Mo. Lebron looked at both rosters, among other variables, and said the Lakers have the advantage. That's not just luck.

Twitter: @DeleteThisPost
VicXLakers
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 7:11 pm    Post subject:

24Legend007 wrote:
VicXLakers wrote:
24Legend007 wrote:

Looks interesting, I'll have to check it out.

All Ken's books are good...(I've read The Life of Stars, Magnificent Universe and Alchemy)

http://kencroswell.com/index.html

I enjoy him as much a I enjoy reading KipThorne

I just pulled out my copy of Magnificent Universe...I forgot how beautiful this book is...full of large photos with an explanation of what you are seeing

Last edited by VicXLakers on Wed Jul 11, 2018 7:18 pm; edited 1 time in total
LakerLanny
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 7:17 pm    Post subject:

Laker's Fan wrote:
You could make the case that Magic has been on one hell of a hot streak.

Trade Deadline: moved Lou for Brewer/1st (#28). Modest deal that Mitch had lined up. But Magic pulled the trigger and it ended up helping the tank and netting Kuzma (practically speaking) - Win

Draft Lottery: Landed the 2nd pick, defering their obligation to Philly for another year and converting the first round pick owed to Orlando (Dwight Deal) to a 2nd round pick - Win

Pre-Draft: Traded Mozgov/Russell for Lopez/#27. At the time a tough deal to swallow, but led to additional flexibility and Josh Hart - Win

Draft: Selected Ball, Kuzma, Hart and Bryant - Win

Free Agency: Got KCP on an exagerated one year deal which also helped LA build a relationship with Klutch sports - Win

Trade Deadline: Moved Jordan and Nance for Thomas, Frye and a 1st round pick. Also openned up more 2018 cap room - Win

Draft Lottery: Pick was to be conveyed to Philly or Boston, the latter if the pick moved up. Giving such an asset to the Celtics would have been painful to Laker fans. The pick stayed at 10 - Win

Draft: Selected Wagner and Svi at 25 and 47 respectively. Traded for pick 39 and took Isaac Bonga. It's early, but it looks good - Win

Free Agency: Signed LeBron James, KCP, Lance and McGee. Lost Lopez, Randle and Thomas. Still have $5.5M cap room, a line on additional moves and preserved max space for next year - Win

They took some loses along the way. They got dinged for tampering with George and the relationship with Mintz is probably as bad as it gets. But adding things up they've been on one hell of a run.

Great post, concur.

My only complaint is I prefer "Maglinka" to "Maginka" but other than that it is all good.

Magic and Robe pulling a franchise 180 when it looked hopeless and in a very short period of time.

Meanwhile Mitch has signed Tim Mozgov, Tony Parker, Kyle Anderson
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 7:35 pm    Post subject:

70sdude wrote:

It won't work.

You may be right, or you may be reading to much into what has been said. I don't get the impression that we're trying to reincarnate the Bad Boy Pistons. I think the FO envisions a team with guys like Ingram, Ball, and Kuzma growing into shooters, but with nasty old vets like Rondo and Stephenson to bring some defensive intensity and grit.

I'm not sold on this particular group of nasty old vets, but I think the vision is a good one.
JUST-MING
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 7:52 pm    Post subject:

No one even mentions the improvements that Ingram made as a rookie after Magic critiqued his game. He was looking like a bust until that point.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 51, 52, 53 ... 172, 173, 174  Next
Page 52 of 174
Jump to: