Official 2018 Summer League Discussion Thread (July 17 - Final: Lakers vs Blazers)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 102, 103, 104 ... 181, 182, 183  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Topic HOF This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ch3cky0selff00
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 11:52 am    Post subject:

Absolutely loving this team. I went to two games (Bulls & Knicks) and I do agree the bench is terrible though lol. It's very clear that outside of Svi, Wagner, Hart and Caruso.. there's not a lot of NBA talent (Nick King might be a fringe NBA / G-League player) but that's about it.

This group of players aren't as big of a draw as last years crop was. Say what you want about Ball (I don't credit Kuzma because he wasn't really known or hyped prior to Summer League) but he fills the seats. Last year the arena was PACKED. Like they had to open up the UPPER UPPER level to accommodate everyone. This year, both nights I went I was able to score a great seat and have tons of seats around me empty.

Knox is a good player. That stretch where he took over was crazy. Him and Porzingis could be a nice duo in coming years.

Josh Hart absolutely looks like he shouldn't even be playing summer league tbh. It looks so easy for him out there.

Wagner was a great pick. I know everybody wanted Mitchell but Wagner is a much better fit for this team and he's also the more well-rounded player. Mitchell did have some impressive blocks though.. if he can put it all together, watch out.

Kind of silly and not really meant to mean anything but Svi's mannerisms and the way he moves on the court reminds me of Klay Thompson (I think.. I can't really put my finger on it) but dude can ABSOLUTELY shoot the ball. He can contribute this year for sure which is ridiculous given where he was drafted. Also.. his defense is pretty darn good! He does well given he doesn't have the greatest measurements.
Dr. Funkbot
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 12:13 pm    Post subject:

pokoy wrote:
adkindo wrote:
pokoy wrote:
What was Doris's "Ingram take?" Totally missed it, watching on mute for most of the game.

Man.... I like Moe and all but that game made me think that maybe we should have gone with Mitchell Robinson......

he is the one player of the young core she would not include in any trades....thinks he is going to be a problem for the league soon...I agree that Robinson may end up being a big miss.

Oh. Good, keep preaching that. I know she's mentioned that before.

I know one of the criticisms about Robinson was that he didn't always have a great motor but he looked fine to me here. I mean he didn't look as active as a Mo Wagner does but he didn't need to be. The way he closes out on shooters so quickly and gets up off the floor so fast, man.

Can we re-do that draft again? I wonder if he's the guy the scouts wanted but Magic overruled them?

I wanted to take a chance on him as well. Clearly he is not a floor spacer but man he is long and looks to be very agile for his size.

I hadn't heard the Lakers were even interested in him at all. The scouts wanted Spellman.
ch3cky0selff00
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 12:16 pm    Post subject:

Oh, also.. Issac Bonga is maddening to watch at this stage with all the travelling violations he gets lol. He'll improve though. The clay is there for sure. It's easy to see why the Lakers drafted him.. but if there was ever a player two years from being two years away -- my gosh its him lol.

If he puts the work in with his attributes and NBA training.. he can turn into a really nice pick for the Lakers. I know there's other players that were available that have turned into somewhat legends around here.. but I think in a few years Issac Bonga can make y'all forget about the players that were drafted after him.
PlantedTanks
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 1:21 pm    Post subject:

Mike@LG wrote:
leor_77 wrote:
I'm kind of wondering how much Melton will be able to help (i.e. shots, minutes), considering the stacked team he's on.

There's no need to box him into a specified area of minutes. It's like asking if Svi or Wagner would be able to help this year.

But unlike those two guys, and basically the rest of the team, Melton is defense 1st and has enough ancillary skill to break even offensively. He actually helps push pace for the Rockets as their point guard, and that's not his natural position.

There'll be a point where you'd like to throw a guy out there that can defend either guard spot, force turnovers, and get rebounds over bigs in the paint.

That's Melton. That'll matter.

I actually feel he is in a better spot to get playing time than if he was with the Lakers. With CP3's injury history and really only MCW as the backup he should get court time unless they pick up another veteran.

Lakers have Lonzo, Rondo, Stephenson, BI and Caruso. Long list to jump over.
LakerSD
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 1:50 pm    Post subject:

Bard207 wrote:
Vegas Summer League Schedule

Wednesday
LA Clippers vs. Washington (Game 46) – 1 pm

Thursday
Winner of Game 46 vs. LA Lakers (Game 59) – 5:30 pm

All times are in Pacific Time Zone.

Looks like it will be the clippers.
Megaton
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 1:55 pm    Post subject:

Clippers tomorrow.
The God Particle
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 2:43 pm    Post subject:

Seeing Melton do swiss-army-knife stuff out on the court...

pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 3:22 pm    Post subject:

NEXT GAME:

LAKERS vs CLIPPERS
Thursday, Jul. 12, 2018 • 8:30 PM ET
Thomas and Mack Center • Las Vegas, NV
APlaymaker
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 3:57 pm    Post subject:

Mike@LG wrote:
leor_77 wrote:
I'm kind of wondering how much Melton will be able to help (i.e. shots, minutes), considering the stacked team he's on.

But unlike those two guys, and basically the rest of the team, Melton is defense 1st and has enough ancillary skill to break even offensively. He actually helps push pace for the Rockets as their point guard, and that's not his natural position.

There'll be a point where you'd like to throw a guy out there that can defend either guard spot, force turnovers, and get rebounds over bigs in the paint.

That's Melton. That'll matter.

Why do I feel that Melton is our new Marcus Banks? I thought for sure we had him at #39, and fans, including myself, will keep an eye on him and drool over his doberman d and elevator rebounding during the next couple of years.

Depending on his contract, I wouldn't be surprised if people get thirsty for this guy again when he approaches free agency, but like Banks, he'll never wear purple and gold after being passed twice by the FO.
audioaxes
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 5:06 pm    Post subject:

so was Bonga really at threat of being drafted by anyone but the Lakers?
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 6:19 pm    Post subject:

BigGameHames wrote:
LakersMD wrote:
adkindo wrote:
Mitchell Robinson, Robert Williams, and De'Anthony Melton all had lottery level talent....and are showing it in summer league. We could have had 2 of those players.

Robert Williams has played 6 minutes in summer league.

And Wagner is a far superior player to Mitchell Robinson at this point in time.

I would have bet a million dollars on this take...would not be surprised if you could pick out a player or two that I like without me saying.

Last edited by adkindo on Wed Jul 11, 2018 7:31 pm; edited 1 time in total
The God Particle
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 6:55 pm    Post subject:

audioaxes wrote:

I really really doubt it - he only worked out for the Lakers (very privately) and I thought I read that he also didn't provide any medical information to any team.

So any team wishing to draft him would have done so strictly based off of youtube videos (lol).

We saw first round talent, overpaid for pick, over reached, and he's showing nothing in summer league.

Name me a player who ever got off the "2 years away from being 2 years away" train. None do. It's code for he's not very good.
PRLakeShow
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 7:16 pm    Post subject:

The God Particle wrote:
audioaxes wrote:

I really really doubt it - he only worked out for the Lakers (very privately) and I thought I read that he also didn't provide any medical information to any team.

So any team wishing to draft him would have done so strictly based off of youtube videos (lol).

We saw first round talent, overpaid for pick, over reached, and he's showing nothing in summer league.

Name me a player who ever got off the "2 years away from being 2 years away" train. None do. It's code for he's not very good.

Giannis is the prime example. Heck, no Giannis, we probably don't draft Bonga. Everyone wants their own Giannis project now.
LakerDynasty6.0
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 7:17 pm    Post subject:

I view Bonga as a one and done college draft pick! He shows flashes of amazing... but needs a LOT of work!! The way i see it, the Lakers took a gamble (BTW, just like the chowderheads did with Williams, and that's not turned out so well, so far).... who knows when this gamble pays off (if it ever does)..

in the meantime, its definitely summer league for Bonga!
pokoy

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 7:17 pm    Post subject:

So looks like Trae Young's finally figured out NBA speed
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 7:18 pm    Post subject:

LakerSanity wrote:
Funny how Knox is getting hype when he did all of his damage in the 2nd and 3rd quarters, after Mo went down and before Hart starting guarding him.

Moe defended Knox on 3 possessions the entire game.
DocK36
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 7:25 pm    Post subject:

The God Particle wrote:

Especially after watching Bonga turning the ball over left and right
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 7:30 pm    Post subject:

DocK36 wrote:
The God Particle wrote:

love it or hate it....I think Bonga was a pure lottery ticket where the FO said his size and raw set of skills are so unique.....if he could ever develop into a complete basketball player, he would move the needle.
pokoy

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 7:31 pm    Post subject:

DocK36 wrote:
The God Particle wrote:

Bonga's a project pick. I'll wait a year before complaining. If the coaching staff thinks they can develop him then I'll give them the benefit of the doubt for now.

But yeah, Melton looks like he could be useful right now.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 7:36 pm    Post subject:

pokoy wrote:
DocK36 wrote:
The God Particle wrote:

Bonga's a project pick. I'll wait a year before complaining. If the coaching staff thinks they can develop him then I'll give them the benefit of the doubt for now.

Melton looks like a player that may make a lot of teams regret passing on him....I was high on him during the draft....but there were a few other guys in that thread that were really high on him (Mike, BVH, KIROE?).....like as in Top 15-20 pick. Right now, I think they may have had a point.
epak
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 7:43 pm    Post subject:

I can't stand this Inside the NBA lady doing the game on NBA TV.
Is that her real laugh?
Johnny Cage
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 8:01 pm    Post subject:

Don't want ti get overexcited here, just I think Josh Hart could be a borderline All-Star one day. Once he hits his prime in 3-4 years, playing alongside Lebron, this guy could make it as a reserve.
PlantedTanks
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 8:02 pm    Post subject:

pokoy wrote:
DocK36 wrote:
The God Particle wrote:

I understand what you are saying but who will he play over. Lonzo, Rondo, KCP, Hart, Stephenson. Even BI could fill in at PG and Svi and Caruso.

Maybe the following season but next is questionable. However would be a nice asset to have.

Then again a year of development may change everyone's view of Bonga.
PlantedTanks
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 8:27 pm    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
DocK36 wrote:
The God Particle wrote:

love it or hate it....I think Bonga was a pure lottery ticket where the FO said his size and raw set of skills are so unique.....if he could ever develop into a complete basketball player, he would move the needle.

love it.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 8:34 pm    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
pokoy wrote:
DocK36 wrote:
The God Particle wrote:

Melton looks like a player that may make a lot of teams regret passing on him....I was high on him during the draft....but there were a few other guys in that thread that were really high on him (Mike, BVH, KIROE?).....like as in Top 15-20 pick. Right now, I think they may have had a point.

I was a Melton guy. Sigh. I was ecstatic when he was still there at 39, thought we might hit it out of the park. Oh well.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Topic HOF All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 102, 103, 104 ... 181, 182, 183  Next
Page 103 of 183
Jump to: