The JULIUS RANDLE Thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 1501, 1502, 1503 ... 1534, 1535, 1536  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
moonriver24
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 1:30 pm    Post subject:

2019 wrote:
Durant, Kawhi, Butler, Kyrie, Cousins are all free agents... I'm willing to wager big we get one of them. Also willing to wager that Kyrie won't be that person but one of the others will come. Wait on it.

I would have loved to sign Jules but he wants security so he did what's best for him. He asked to be let go.

Durant and Kyrie will not come here. Durant has won two rings and 2 finals mvp. Kyrie has won one and if he so desired to play with Bron woulda stayed with Bron. So scratch these two.

If you want Kahwi now you must give up some assets. Or wait and gamble next season. Kawhi has his own pride being a champ and a finals mvp himself. Not going to be a second banana to Bron.

So, it may not be Kahwi. It may be other names.

If Kawhi joins us, you will see a split between those who root for him and Bron. But that will be a nice split.
CantStopJM
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 1:30 pm    Post subject:

greenfrog wrote:
2019 wrote:
Durant, Kawhi, Butler, Kyrie, Cousins are all free agents... I'm willing to wager big we get one of them. Also willing to wager that Kyrie won't be that person but one of the others will come. Wait on it.

I would have loved to sign Jules but he wants security so he did what's best for him. He asked to be let go.

I don't think it was security he was after, it was shots. Does anyone actually believe he intends to exercise that second year option in NO?

Julius has a better chance of resigning with NO than he would have with the Lakers in 2019 if he stayed. Why stay here if you aren't part of the future which Julius realized?
golakersgo121
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 1:32 pm    Post subject:

activeverb wrote:
golakersgo121 wrote:
KobeIsTheOne wrote:
The Juggernaut wrote:
Blame his agent Mintz. He steered Randle out of here

Yeah, Mintz is horrible. This isn't the first time he's done us dirty.

Still, we had control of the situation and could have retained him. I'm not saying Kawhi isn't worth the gamble, but there aren't a lot of other better options (than Randle) if we strike out on KL.

We could have retained him against his wish; using his RFA status. That's what you wanted the Lakers to do?

Personally, I would have. He was a tradeable assets at 2 years/$18 million. Not sure why the Lakers just let him walk. That's what the RFA feature is all about: go out and find a deal and if we like it will match. I wonder if the Lakers simply didn't think he was that good and his stats were simply over inflated as the result of being on a bad team.

Then let's not mix the RFA feature and what we as an organization saw in this particular player. You don't do it for a role player if you're the Lakers. And as such - water under the bridge
greenfrog
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 1:35 pm    Post subject:

activeverb wrote:
golakersgo121 wrote:
KobeIsTheOne wrote:
The Juggernaut wrote:

Yeah, Mintz is horrible. This isn't the first time he's done us dirty.

Still, we had control of the situation and could have retained him. I'm not saying Kawhi isn't worth the gamble, but there aren't a lot of other better options (than Randle) if we strike out on KL.

We could have retained him against his wish; using his RFA status. That's what you wanted the Lakers to do?

Personally, I would have. He was a tradeable assets at 2 years/$18 million. Not sure why the Lakers just let him walk. That's what the RFA feature is all about: go out and find a deal and if we like it will match. I wonder if the Lakers simply didn't think he was that good and his stats were simply over inflated as the result of being on a bad team.

That's framing it more harshly than I would have. The reality is, largely because of positional overlap, he just wasn't indispensable enough to hold him against his will (i.e. Capela).

Last edited by greenfrog on Wed Jul 11, 2018 2:03 pm; edited 1 time in total
greenfrog
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 1:41 pm    Post subject:

CantStopJM wrote:
greenfrog wrote:
2019 wrote:

I don't think it was security he was after, it was shots. Does anyone actually believe he intends to exercise that second year option in NO?

Julius has a better chance of resigning with NO than he would have with the Lakers in 2019 if he stayed. Why stay here if you aren't part of the future which Julius realized?

Which is another way of saying less competition or "shots".

Last edited by greenfrog on Wed Jul 11, 2018 2:03 pm; edited 1 time in total
VicXLakers
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 1:54 pm    Post subject:

JR would have a chance here if he changed agents
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 3:28 pm    Post subject:

TooFunny28 wrote:
I can see that Randle will be the next "Bynum" obsession.

Good grief.

I remember not too long ago when a LARGE contingent of LGers were miffed that he was picked and were miffed that he had "alligator arms" and that he couldn't shoot. He was snippy and marble mouthed in interviews at the same time D'Lo pulled the "You seem up..." interview. Bad looks. Luke (whom a LARGE contingent of LGers used to call Puke) had to go soothe him because he wasn't getting the PT he felt he deserved for doing something a pro athlete should be doing anyway (gym and Summer work). You can talk about character all you want, but I think that being rudimentary shooters gradually worked against both Nance and Randle. You can counter with, "What about Rondo?", but his assignment isn't to shoot, it's to get into the dark, scary mind of Lonzo. Lakers are eventually gonna demure from Randle types as we go on. If this were 1998, he probably would've been re-inked.
Raijin
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 3:59 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
unleasHell wrote:
Dirty Harry (Clint Eastwood) once said:

"A man's got to know his limitations"

Well Randle was limited and he thought he was a max. player and wanted a 3-year $20mil/yr contract, which the Lakers did not agree and thus he is now a Pelican.

I would not be surprised if his numbers next year go down playing next to Davis...

Or that he gets his first trip to the WCFs.

You're out of your mind. Put money on it.
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 6:38 pm    Post subject:

@LakersSBN
Pelinka confirms that the Lakers didn’t re-sign Julius Randle to preserve cap space for 2019.

14 replies 74 retweets 198 likes
Reply 14 Retweet 74 Like 198

Tania Ganguli

Verified account

@taniaganguli
I asked Rob Pelinka if there was consideration given to giving Julius Randle a long-term deal. He noted they didn't do any multi-year deals other than LeBron. "We did identify going into this offseason to keep cap flexibility going into 2019.

As was said prior and been saying. Julius is no longer a Laker because they refused to give him a 2nd year. That's all it would have taken. But they didn't want to give him a second year, to save cap space for 2019, not understanding that he wouldn't have stopped a max free agency signing had they given him a 2nd year.

Julius is no longer here because in spite of the season he had the FO refused to give him even a 2nd year on his contract offer. Do with that what you will.
Chronicle
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 8:33 pm    Post subject:

Laker_Dynasty_01
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2018 12:05 pm    Post subject:

If Randle were valued at $12M yearly by NBA GMs, wouldn't Chicago have made him an offer and traded him somewhere at the deadline or next offseason? Atlanta and Brooklyn would rather take on salary dumps than sign the best player from a 35 win team.

Paying market value for a player who is a less-than-ideal fit doesn't make said player an asset. How would we have utilized him, pNr on every play like Capela? Back up for LeBron? NBA GMs aren't blind to opposing team's tendencies/needs as the virtual GMs are in NBA 2K, and would see through our attempts to move him for cap space while trying to get a pick in return.

I'll take Rondo the rental over Randle as a role player.
LVLAKERFAN
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2018 3:36 pm    Post subject:

https://clutchpoints.com/lakers-news-pelicans-julius-randle-throws-subtle-shade-at-la/amp/&r=&bc=

Jab at the coaching staff. Hope the great defenders we got get some defensive drills.
AD/MORRIS/DUDLEY
GASOL/HARRELL/TINKLE
Coachs:Vogel/Kidd
VicXLakers
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2018 6:36 pm    Post subject:

LVLAKERFAN wrote:
https://clutchpoints.com/lakers-news-pelicans-julius-randle-throws-subtle-shade-at-la/amp/&r=&bc=

Jab at the coaching staff. Hope the great defenders we got get some defensive drills.

story...

https://www.slamonline.com/nba/luke-walton-calls-julius-randle-best-one-one-defender-nba/

Luke Walton Calls Julius Randle Best One-on-One Defender in NBA
Gatekeeper
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2018 9:03 am    Post subject:

Straight up lying. I remember him during preseason telling reporters they (Lakers coaching staff) had the players working on defensive transitions and sets for the duration of the session. Disappointing coming from him...
Nnamdi21
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2018 10:18 am    Post subject:

Pelicans play defense?
Villain6Activated
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2018 11:34 am    Post subject:

I'm gonna miss Julius Randle tbh, Pelicans are easily my second team in the west. Dude's a beast
governator
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2018 11:35 am    Post subject:

lol

Lakers team that Randle was just a part of shockingly jumped from last to 12th in defensive efficiency last season, while the Pelicans ranked 14th
Wino
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2018 5:00 pm    Post subject:

1ngr4m wrote:
I'm gonna miss Julius Randle tbh, Pelicans are easily my second team in the west. Dude's a beast

Is that you Jules??? Good luck next year!
3peat_pete
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2018 5:28 pm    Post subject:

The Juggernaut wrote:

he needs to fire Mintz ASAP. An injury plagued Jabari Parker got 40mil for 2 years vs Julius 2years 18mill.yuck.
dont_be_a_wuss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2018 6:40 pm    Post subject:

Raijin wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
unleasHell wrote:
Dirty Harry (Clint Eastwood) once said:

"A man's got to know his limitations"

Well Randle was limited and he thought he was a max. player and wanted a 3-year $20mil/yr contract, which the Lakers did not agree and thus he is now a Pelican.

I would not be surprised if his numbers next year go down playing next to Davis...

Or that he gets his first trip to the WCFs.

You're out of your mind. Put money on it.

I'll bet $2,000 mythical dollars against it.
3peat_pete
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 1:01 pm    Post subject:

Gatekeeper wrote:
Straight up lying. I remember him during preseason telling reporters they (Lakers coaching staff) had the players working on defensive transitions and sets for the duration of the session. Disappointing coming from him...

i watched his pelicans press conference. he said it's the first time that he has to do INDIVIDUAL defensive skills workout. I guess with the Lakers, they were only doing team defense drills?
AFireInside619
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 12:27 pm    Post subject:

I wish Randle well, but sorry. No second favorite team for me. Not NOLA. Not CLE. And definitely not Brooklyn.
Gatekeeper
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 12:33 pm    Post subject:

3peat_pete wrote:
Gatekeeper wrote:

i watched his pelicans press conference. he said it's the first time that he has to do INDIVIDUAL defensive skills workout. I guess with the Lakers, they were only doing team defense drills?

What's the point of doing that?!

Unless you improve on your reflexes somehow, it's akin to practicing how to defend against dummies. You defend as a team and attack as a team, it's a system, not isolation.
3peat_pete
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 3:36 pm    Post subject:

Gatekeeper wrote:
3peat_pete wrote:
Gatekeeper wrote:

Unless you improve on your reflexes somehow, it's akin to practicing how to defend against dummies. You defend as a team and attack as a team, it's a system, not isolation.

haha

ask the Pels. All that and we're higher than them in defensive rating, IIRC. I think we were 12th defensively and they were 14th.
Aike
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 4:36 pm    Post subject:

Gatekeeper wrote:
3peat_pete wrote:
Gatekeeper wrote:

Wax on. Wax off.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 1501, 1502, 1503 ... 1534, 1535, 1536  Next
Page 1502 of 1536
Jump to: