Who are the top 5-10 NBA players in the league?

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Villain6Activated
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 3:22 pm    Post subject: Who are the top 5-10 NBA players in the league?

Assuming everyone is healthy, this is my list:

1. Lebron James

2. Kevin Durant

3. Steph Curry

4. James Harden

5. Kawhi Leonard

6. Anthony Davis

7. Giannis Antetekoumpo

8. Russell Westbrook
audioaxes
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 5:09 pm    Post subject:

seems about right. To round out the top 10 id probably say CP3 and Kyrie
Wino
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 10:21 pm    Post subject:

Right now, I will only give two of these guys as top 50 all time, Lebron and Durant. Davis and Kawhi have a shot at it, maybe Giannis. But it just seems to me that there are less great players today, than in some other eras.

Magic, Jabbar, Worthy, Bird, McHale, Jordan, Pippen, Thomas, Wilkins, just off the top of my head, I know I am missing a ton. But that era was stacked way more than this era.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 6:49 am    Post subject:

Wino wrote:
Right now, I will only give two of these guys as top 50 all time, Lebron and Durant. Davis and Kawhi have a shot at it, maybe Giannis. But it just seems to me that there are less great players today, than in some other eras.

Magic, Jabbar, Worthy, Bird, McHale, Jordan, Pippen, Thomas, Wilkins, just off the top of my head, I know I am missing a ton. But that era was stacked way more than this era.

Okay, but that is several generations. KAJ was at his peak in the '70s, while Pippen was at his peak in the '90s. If you extended the current period to a similar duration, you would add Kobe, Shaq, Duncan, Garnett, Iverson, and probably a few more who aren't jumping to mind. Nowitzki. Nash.

Furthermore, some of the names on your list depend on the eye of the beholder. Magic, KAJ, Bird, Jordan -- sure. Pippen -- probably. McHale, Worthy, Thomas, Wilkins -- people will argue about this. Likewise, you dismiss Curry and Harden, but a lot of people would rank them around the middle of your list of old timers. I would easily rank Curry and Harden over McHale, Worthy, Thomas, and Wilkins.

I'm not in the mood to start another all-time ranking thread. My point is just that it is not so obvious that there are fewer great players today. It may be the other way around.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 9:57 am    Post subject:

assuming everyone is 100% healthy...

1. Lebron James
2. Kawhi Leonard
3. Kevin Durant
4. Anthony Davis
5. Steph Curry
6. James Harden
7. Russell Westbrook
8. Giannis Antetekoumpo
9. Chris Paul
10. Damian Lillard
Wino
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 10:00 am    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
Wino wrote:

Okay, but that is several generations. KAJ was at his peak in the '70s, while Pippen was at his peak in the '90s. If you extended the current period to a similar duration, you would add Kobe, Shaq, Duncan, Garnett, Iverson, and probably a few more who aren't jumping to mind. Nowitzki. Nash.

Furthermore, some of the names on your list depend on the eye of the beholder. Magic, KAJ, Bird, Jordan -- sure. Pippen -- probably. McHale, Worthy, Thomas, Wilkins -- people will argue about this. Likewise, you dismiss Curry and Harden, but a lot of people would rank them around the middle of your list of old timers. I would easily rank Curry and Harden over McHale, Worthy, Thomas, and Wilkins.

I'm not in the mood to start another all-time ranking thread. My point is just that it is not so obvious that there are fewer great players today. It may be the other way around.

Grant you that Jabbar played a long time but he played against all these guys and he was still very good and winning rings where he was the MVP. All those guys were active with significant overlap. I pretty much disagree with you, but if it makes you feel better remove Jabbar from the list.
audioaxes
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 10:20 am    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
Wino wrote:

agreed
Harden and Curry are MVP level players for atleast 2 seasons. Players like McHale and Worthy, etc never came close to a MVP. When its all said and done they should be ranked above those players.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 3:40 pm    Post subject:

Wino wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:
Wino wrote:

Grant you that Jabbar played a long time but he played against all these guys and he was still very good and winning rings where he was the MVP. All those guys were active with significant overlap. I pretty much disagree with you, but if it makes you feel better remove Jabbar from the list.

That really wasn’t what I meant. The point is that if you compare a snapshot (which is what the OP did) to an extended era, you get misleading results. If you pick a snapshot from, say, 1985, and list the best players in the league at that moment, you wouldn't have a number of the guys that you named. (You would also have a few other names, like Moses Malone and Bernard King). We went through this exercise in one of the many threads on the all time rating subject. You can pick out specific years when a bunch of all time greats happened to be in their primes, but overall this has been pretty even.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: