We Still Need a Starting Center
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 20, 21, 22 ... 25, 26, 27  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Judah
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 12:19 am    Post subject:

ShowtimeDynasty_24/7 wrote:
I would expect us to be huge players in the inevitable buyout market, that could be coming soon. There will be some bigs available. I'm sure Pelinka has forecasted some guys being let out their contracts. Guys I would look at are Kenneth Faried, Kosta Koufous, Jason Smith.

None of those guys are starting caliber bigs. McGee is.

- John Piper
epak
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 12:22 am    Post subject:

kobeandgary wrote:
epak wrote:
If Croatia wins the world cup, Zubac will be the starting center.

One has nothing to do with the other.

Tell me more

Kawhi to Lakers 2018 for Deng + Zubac + 1st + 2 2nds
lakurluv
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 4:52 am    Post subject:

Looking at the Free Agent Pool and what's left:
1. Clint Capela
2. Greg Monroe
3. Alex Len
4. Jalil Okafor
5. Luol Deng (?)

Is Capela an option for the Lakers? Is it possible for us to stretch Deng and snatch him away from Houston?
Interesting idea, but I'm not sure if it's possible. Either way with JaVale at the starting five, I'm not completely comfortable, but I'm not uncomfortable either.
He will have to come in a prove his worth. With that being said, we don't currently have anything on the roster better than JaVale at the 5 spot.
IMO we should have kept Randle, but we let him walk for nothing and that was pretty odd to me even if he did ask for it to happen...

Here is something to think about in the midst of all that's transpired.
Deng is extremely difficult to move and only worth stretching to make room for another Star player. If that's not happening and we're not letting him walk. He fits better on this team now, than he did last season with all of the FA's recently added. Deng Played SF during his prime years, and was a better than adequate defender. Deng is truly 6'9. Could he be an adequate solution for us in a "Small-Ball" lineup? This would limit him having to defend on the Wing against smaller, quicker, younger, more athletic players, where he may have an advantage using his quickness against a true Center on the inside... He's still got some athleticism left and maybe able to contribute with this specific roster intact.

Capela is a stretch I know for sure, but is Okafor a forgotten item in this league? Yes he's talented on offense, but doesn't play any defense. Could being on a team with good veterans make him a better player and cover his defensive deficiencies???

There's a lot of questions to be asked and I can't see the Lakers standing pat with what we have at the 5 Spot. I do believe JaVale has a lot of game left in him, but we'll see how it goes. But I also believe there's probably 1-2 more moves left in the FO this off-season!
numero-ocho
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 5:25 am    Post subject:

az82187 wrote:
Does Deng, Zubac and a future #1 plus cash get us Tristan Thompson?

Lavar Ball, and the Kardashians? That's a scary thought.

Since Deng and TT make nearly the same money over the next two seasons we're basically giving up Zu and 1st rd pick for him. TT's better than Zu but he's not worth that much.
lewis
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 5:38 am    Post subject:

I would like us to be able to trade Deng for Tyson Chandler. Wish we had used the second round pick we spent on Bonga. Zubac does not seem to be enough.
King Randle
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 5:53 am    Post subject:

Do any of you guys listen when the FO speaks? The Lakers signed McGee quickly after Bron committed. Pelinka said they targeted him to be the STARTING CENTER, because he's very long, athletic and allows the team to play fast like they want to. McGee is going to play upwards to 25 minutes a game. The question is who's the back-up. IMO they want Wagner to impress and play that role...although I also believe it will be done through committee, i.e. Bron, Kuz who knows even maybe Deng for a few minutes. It would be nice if Zu finally took this seriously and got in tip top shape. His flat foot slow game ala Marc Gasol doesn't fit with what we're doing.
Four Decade Bandwagon
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 6:09 am    Post subject:

King Randle wrote:
Do any of you guys listen when the FO speaks? The Lakers signed McGee quickly after Bron committed. Pelinka said they targeted him to be the STARTING CENTER, because he's very long, athletic and allows the team to play fast like they want to. McGee is going to play upwards to 25 minutes a game. The question is who's the back-up. IMO they want Wagner to impress and play that role...although I also believe it will be done through committee, i.e. Bron, Kuz who knows even maybe Deng for a few minutes. It would be nice if Zu finally took this seriously and got in tip top shape. His flat foot slow game ala Marc Gasol doesn't fit with what we're doing.

It will be interesting to see if to see are the team's expectations of McGee's mpg. I would be pleasantly surprised if he can even reach 20mpg for the season.

McGee has not even hit 20mpg since the 2011-12 season. Last four seasons at 10mpg. A bit skeptical he makes a dramatic jump to 25mpg. another one of those "I'm going to need to see it first" scenarios.

I do think McGee will have an impact this season. Maybe even start. Just not seeing him getting those kinds of mpg. I'm even starting to come to terms with the center by committee strategy. Will be interesting if they stick to it or add another.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 6:11 am    Post subject:

I think it'll be something like:

McGee: 18-19mpg
Zub or Wagner (whomever wins the backup spot): 15-16mpg
LBJ: 5-6mpg
Other: the rest.
Four Decade Bandwagon
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 6:28 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:

JMO but I think Zubac (or Wagner) will get more court time.

My prediction to start the season is in the range of Zubac 22-24 mpg, McGee 15-18mpg, and the last 6-10mpg at small ball with James and the rest combined.

Considering how the roster is constructed I could even see small ball not being as significant as some are suggesting. Just a couple mins per stretch with the bench instead of the starters.
OC Lakerfan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 6:49 am    Post subject:

Four Decade Bandwagon wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

JMO but I think Zubac (or Wagner) will get more court time.

My prediction to start the season is in the range of Zubac 22-24 mpg, McGee 15-18mpg, and the last 6-10mpg at small ball with James and the rest combined.

Considering how the roster is constructed I could even see small ball not being as significant as some are suggesting. Just a couple mins per stretch with the bench instead of the starters.

I don't think Zubac is ready to play 22-24 mpg consistently but I hope he proves me wrong. Maybe playing next to LBJ will make his life easier but I don't see it.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 6:54 am    Post subject:

I don't think Zub is a 20mpg+ player either.

Stamina. Foul trouble. Inability to guard perimeter players.

Wagner may offer more offensive versatility and quickness.
Four Decade Bandwagon
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 7:09 am    Post subject:

How they choose to play the center role is one of the bigger questions of the season.

I like what I see from Wagner, just not convinced he gets those kind of mpg early in the season. Will likely adjust develop and get his opportunity second half of the season or with an injury .

My wild speculation of Zubac getting those mpg is based more on optimism then anything I have seen on the court. He has shown some stability at times last season. Reports of him maturing and playing well for his National team is also encouraging.

Zubac may be ready for a complimentary role. Roster does not need a big impact from the center position. Just effort and solid play. He may be ready.

Another slower less athletic center in Mozgov was able to play 25 mpg and contribute in James first year in CLE. IMO Zubac is a bit more athletic and a better defender on switches. Not great but competent.

Add to thatthe athleticism of McGee and the potential shooting ability of Wagner could make for an interesting center rotation. Like the depth too. In case of injuries or matchups Walton will have options. How effective we will see.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 7:11 am    Post subject:

Quote:
Another slower less athletic center in Mozgov was able to play 25 mpg and contribute in James first year in CLE. IMO Zubac is a bit more athletic and a better defender on switches. Not great but competent.

Disagree. Moz was far more mobile and a better leaper than Zub. He was a decent lob target too, which Zub is not.

Moz was also a better vertical defender and a wall to post up against. I haven't seen that from Zub at all.
fansincemagic
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 7:53 am    Post subject:

No matter how these minutes scenario's are being split, one common theme is all three of the bigs are being counted on. That's my issue. Even if the plan is to play McGee more than 12mpg, per the Brown quote they may find out it isn't his best fit. Zubac has shown flashes but been inconsistent, Wagner has the offensive game but is a rookie regardless and may be a liability early on defensively.

I get that the lack of activity could signal them having a hunch that either of those three won't have those issues...and that LBJ can play 6-8mpg there, but it's not something to bank on. They need one more option in the middle, if nothing else to guard against injury. If they don't want Len, or don't want to spend the exception they should at least bring in a guy for the vet min for an extra body even if they aren't an ideal fit.
PHILosophize
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 7:53 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:

that's looking pretty bleak
epak
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 7:57 am    Post subject:

fansincemagic wrote:
No matter how these minutes scenario's are being split, one common theme is all three of the bigs are being counted on. That's my issue. Even if the plan is to play McGee more than 12mpg, per the Brown quote they may find out it isn't his best fit. Zubac has shown flashes but been inconsistent, Wagner has the offensive game but is a rookie regardless and may be a liability early on defensively.

I get that the lack of activity could signal them having a hunch that either of those three won't have those issues...and that LBJ can play 6-8mpg there, but it's not something to bank on. They need one more option in the middle, if nothing else to guard against injury. If they don't want Len, or don't want to spend the exception they should at least bring in a guy for the vet min for an extra body even if they aren't an ideal fit.

GS won with a 4 headed monster of Zaza, McGee, Bell and Looney last year. Perhaps we're going that route, i.e. the Jordan Bulls winning w/ their 3 headed no-names at center.

PHILosophize
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 7:58 am    Post subject:

epak wrote:
fansincemagic wrote:

GS won with a 4 headed monster of Zaza, McGee, Bell and Looney last year. Perhaps we're going that route, i.e. the Jordan Bulls winning w/ their 3 headed no-names at center.

sure but we don't have nearly the remaining starting five that they have; we can't afford a center rotation like the one we have now IMO
epak
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 8:03 am    Post subject:

PHILosophize wrote:
epak wrote:
fansincemagic wrote:

sure but we don't have nearly the remaining starting five that they have; we can't afford a center rotation like the one we have now IMO

Our lineups are untested for sure. Especially since we don't know who will playing what role yet. The GS lineup has the advantage on many levels, I agree. I guess I just dont see any other center out there that's going to make this team better than the 3-4 options we currently have.

fansincemagic
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 8:12 am    Post subject:

epak wrote:
PHILosophize wrote:
epak wrote:
fansincemagic wrote:

Our lineups are untested for sure. Especially since we don't know who will playing what role yet. The GS lineup has the advantage on many levels, I agree. I guess I just dont see any other center out there that's going to make this team better than the 3-4 options we currently have.

The difference is that any of Cartwright/Wennington/Longley could split the minutes with no issues. Same goes for the GS as Zaza is actually a descent center (basically averaged 9 and 9 with Dallas the year before coming over) so anyone could back him up. With LA, if Zubac regresses again can you really play McGee 20, the rookie 20 and James 8 every night?

They're going to need another option, and I believe they will add one before the season. It's nice that this is really the only roster issue.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 8:20 am    Post subject:

King Randle wrote:

I read here that McGee suffers from asthma, that is a limiting factor. He hasnít played 20 mpg in 6 seasons and has only started 34 games in that period. I like the signing as a backup, but it is overly optimistic as a starter.
epak
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 8:24 am    Post subject:

fansincemagic wrote:
epak wrote:
PHILosophize wrote:
epak wrote:
fansincemagic wrote:

The difference is that any of Cartwright/Wennington/Longley could split the minutes with no issues. Same goes for the GS as Zaza is actually a descent center (basically averaged 9 and 9 with Dallas the year before coming over) so anyone could back him up. With LA, if Zubac regresses again can you really play McGee 20, the rookie 20 and James 8 every night?

They're going to need another option, and I believe they will add one before the season. It's nice that this is really the only roster issue.

Just a correction on my part. GS also had Draymond
I'm leaning towards this not being the same roster as the one to start the season as well.

And agree that I do believe our other positions are filled with good starters and backups.

Cochese
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 8:33 am    Post subject:

I'm worried dudes. Center is a huge weakness in our roster and we are just gonna have to hope it works out. I dunno if McGee can handle the minutes and we are hoping that Zubac and Wagner can step up. Not good, imo.

I guess we are going to go small more often and put Lebron at center. Could work
King Randle
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 8:35 am    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
King Randle wrote:

I read here that McGee suffers from asthma, that is a limiting factor. He hasnít played 20 mpg in 6 seasons and has only started 34 games in that period. I like the signing as a backup, but it is overly optimistic as a starter.

If you kept up with the situation in GS....asthma had a role but more importantly was that the team couldn't run the high post offense through him and reportedly he wasn't a great screener. Hence the center by committee. I know Magic and Pelinka specifically targeted him because of his ability to protect the rim and efficiently have the team play at a fast pace. But like they also said no starter except for LeBron has been cemented.
Lonzo'sBalls
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 8:36 am    Post subject:

Cochese wrote:
I'm worried dudes. Center is a huge weakness in our roster and we are just gonna have to hope it works out. I dunno if McGee can handle the minutes and we are hoping that Zubac and Wagner can step up. Not good, imo.

I guess we are going to go small more often and put Lebron at center. Could work

I too am worried. McGee has shown he can't physically play more than 20mpg (through no fault of his own). Do we trust Zubac and Wagner to handle 14mpg each? Not really sure.

Hopefully they are only asked to set screens, rebound and play something resembling defense.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 8:41 am    Post subject:

Cochese wrote:

Lebron hasnít shown to be a good small ball center, and we have no other options. Itís a weakness they need to shore up next offseason.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 20, 21, 22 ... 25, 26, 27  Next
Page 21 of 27
Jump to: