OFFICIAL 2018 FREE AGENCY THREAD (7/24 Update: LAL Has Full 15 Man Roster; p.1 - Remaining FAs, Notable Expiring Contracts & Lakers' 2019 Cap)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 2551, 2552, 2553 ... 2678, 2679, 2680  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Topic HOF This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kobeandgary
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 12:17 am    Post subject:

epak wrote:
If Croatia wins the world cup, Zubac will be the starting center.

One has nothing to do with the other.
Judah
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 12:19 am    Post subject:

ShowtimeDynasty_24/7 wrote:
I would expect us to be huge players in the inevitable buyout market, that could be coming soon. There will be some bigs available. I'm sure Pelinka has forecasted some guys being let out their contracts. Guys I would look at are Kenneth Faried, Kosta Koufous, Jason Smith.

None of those guys are starting caliber bigs. McGee is.
epak
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 12:22 am    Post subject:

kobeandgary wrote:
epak wrote:
If Croatia wins the world cup, Zubac will be the starting center.

One has nothing to do with the other.

Tell me more
governator
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 4:14 am    Post subject:

2019 wrote:
adkindo wrote:
2019 wrote:
governator wrote:
Rondo-KCP-BI-LeBron-McGee
Lonzo-Hart-Lance-Kuzma-Zubac (Caruso-the other 2way-Svi-Bonga-Mo)

Lonzo/Rondo might be flipped but that 2nd unit might be one of the best in the league, up there with GS and Celtics

I would start Lonzo but either way, that bench is insane once you sub Moe for Zubac.

unless Ball is terrible in camp....I would start him....just think in the big picture, Ball's confidence and development are much more important. That is why it makes me uneasy about telling Rondo it is an open competition...because chances are high he will not be "cool with it" if he feels slighted or cheated.

Same.

Rondo running the 2nd unit feels right while Lonzo can get live action with LeBron and then guys he's familiar with in KCP and BI.

Yeah, I hope both Lonzo and Rondo perform well with Lonzo being the better one. Either way, 4 starters in the 2nd unit. We can throw about 6 positionless lengky (or strong in Hart) all game long. And Lance vs Draymond
AirKobe8
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 4:26 am    Post subject:

governator wrote:
2019 wrote:
adkindo wrote:
2019 wrote:
governator wrote:
Rondo-KCP-BI-LeBron-McGee
Lonzo-Hart-Lance-Kuzma-Zubac (Caruso-the other 2way-Svi-Bonga-Mo)

Lonzo/Rondo might be flipped but that 2nd unit might be one of the best in the league, up there with GS and Celtics

I would start Lonzo but either way, that bench is insane once you sub Moe for Zubac.

unless Ball is terrible in camp....I would start him....just think in the big picture, Ball's confidence and development are much more important. That is why it makes me uneasy about telling Rondo it is an open competition...because chances are high he will not be "cool with it" if he feels slighted or cheated.

Same.

Rondo running the 2nd unit feels right while Lonzo can get live action with LeBron and then guys he's familiar with in KCP and BI.

Yeah, I hope both Lonzo and Rondo perform well with Lonzo being the better one. Either way, 4 starters in the 2nd unit. We can throw about 6 positionless lengky (or strong in Hart) all game long. And Lance vs Draymond

I also think Rondo beginning as a reserve will make him more motivated to try to get the starting spot. Not sure it'd have the same effect on Lonzo, he could flop.
Dreamshake
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 4:46 am    Post subject:

RG73 wrote:
Dreamshake wrote:
Rockets got Ennis on a two year deal, with year two being a player option. He's been making 39% of his corner 3's. Hopefully the D is there. Our D coordinator had him in Memphis.

Why do we care? This isn't the Rockets free agency thread and isn't Clutch City.net that away---------->

This is the free agency thread, which is full of updates on where free agents have signed, as some posters are interested in these players. There are numerous posts about Ennis in this thread. Obviously quite a few posters care about him. Hence the update.
lakurluv
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 4:52 am    Post subject:

Looking at the Free Agent Pool and what's left:
1. Clint Capela
2. Greg Monroe
3. Alex Len
4. Jalil Okafor
5. Luol Deng (?)

Is Capela an option for the Lakers? Is it possible for us to stretch Deng and snatch him away from Houston?
Interesting idea, but I'm not sure if it's possible. Either way with JaVale at the starting five, I'm not completely comfortable, but I'm not uncomfortable either.
He will have to come in a prove his worth. With that being said, we don't currently have anything on the roster better than JaVale at the 5 spot.
IMO we should have kept Randle, but we let him walk for nothing and that was pretty odd to me even if he did ask for it to happen...

Here is something to think about in the midst of all that's transpired.
Deng is extremely difficult to move and only worth stretching to make room for another Star player. If that's not happening and we're not letting him walk. He fits better on this team now, than he did last season with all of the FA's recently added. Deng Played SF during his prime years, and was a better than adequate defender. Deng is truly 6'9. Could he be an adequate solution for us in a "Small-Ball" lineup? This would limit him having to defend on the Wing against smaller, quicker, younger, more athletic players, where he may have an advantage using his quickness against a true Center on the inside... He's still got some athleticism left and maybe able to contribute with this specific roster intact.

Capela is a stretch I know for sure, but is Okafor a forgotten item in this league? Yes he's talented on offense, but doesn't play any defense. Could being on a team with good veterans make him a better player and cover his defensive deficiencies???

There's a lot of questions to be asked and I can't see the Lakers standing pat with what we have at the 5 Spot. I do believe JaVale has a lot of game left in him, but we'll see how it goes. But I also believe there's probably 1-2 more moves left in the FO this off-season!
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 5:20 am    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:
trablos wrote:
ChickenStu wrote:
Dammit, Pincus just corrected himself, it's a player option. I guess Stephen A was wrong lol.

Eric Pincus

Verified account

@EricPincus
34s
34 seconds ago

More
LeBron James has a straight up max deal starting at $35.7 mil w/a player option on the final year, 15% trade kicker - last year earns $41 mil @BBallInsiders LA Lakers

I mean, of course we would all do this again 10 out of 10 times, but that 41 mil for a 37 y.o Lebron is gonna be pretty ugly.

Kareem finished 4th in the MVP vote in his age-37 season (1984-85). Let's hope that LeBron stays healthy and can age like Cap.

I think it's possible. And the hope is that BI/Lonzo/Kuz/Hart/et al. grow into a star, and that 2019 max FA will take over more by then.
numero-ocho
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 5:25 am    Post subject:

az82187 wrote:
Does Deng, Zubac and a future #1 plus cash get us Tristan Thompson?

Lavar Ball, and the Kardashians? That's a scary thought.

Since Deng and TT make nearly the same money over the next two seasons we're basically giving up Zu and 1st rd pick for him. TT's better than Zu but he's not worth that much.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 5:37 am    Post subject:

Some centers who are on expiring contracts (no player options or rookie deals).

Robin Lopez
Tyson Chandler
Vucevic
Kanter
Dedmon

WCS from Sacto is someone I would be interested in, as well as the guys named above. Only problem is that we'd have to basically trade these teams Deng + future 1sts, which I wouldn't be eager to do (especially 2021 when it's likely high schoolers will be back in the draft).
lewis
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 5:38 am    Post subject:

I would like us to be able to trade Deng for Tyson Chandler. Wish we had used the second round pick we spent on Bonga. Zubac does not seem to be enough.
laker50
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 5:48 am    Post subject:

Pelinka says that 4 positions will be open for competition for starting.
A guess:

C: wide open
PF: Lebron Is this his best position?
SF: favorite Ingram
SG: favorite KCP Hart may surprise
PG: tossup
King Randle
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 5:53 am    Post subject:

Do any of you guys listen when the FO speaks? The Lakers signed McGee quickly after Bron committed. Pelinka said they targeted him to be the STARTING CENTER, because he's very long, athletic and allows the team to play fast like they want to. McGee is going to play upwards to 25 minutes a game. The question is who's the back-up. IMO they want Wagner to impress and play that role...although I also believe it will be done through committee, i.e. Bron, Kuz who knows even maybe Deng for a few minutes. It would be nice if Zu finally took this seriously and got in tip top shape. His flat foot slow game ala Marc Gasol doesn't fit with what we're doing.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 5:56 am    Post subject:

I would monitor Dedmon's situation, maybe someone we can trade for after 12/15. I think Lopez/Chandler/Vuc may all be buyout candidates in February 2019 too.

So I wouldn't be too concerned about our center rotation going into the playoffs.

Wow. I said it. Playoffs.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 5:57 am    Post subject:

laker50 wrote:
A guess:

I see it likely as:

Lonzo
KCP
BI
LBJ
McGee.

I think Wagner/Zub will be a great training camp battle.
DShotMaker1824
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 6:01 am    Post subject:

laker50 wrote:
A guess:

Could be

LeBron
Ingram
The rest are open. Maybe they'd want Kuzma starting at PF?

"Through the legs to the left, through the legs to the right, we don't run them Laker plays, we just Kobe fadeaway..."
LakerMindLA
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 6:04 am    Post subject:

Does this team have a good enough 2nd scorer to keep Lebrons minutes low in the regular season.

Can we really play Lonzo/Stephenson or Lonzo/Rondo together given their shooting deficiencies?
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 6:05 am    Post subject:

LakerMindLA wrote:
Does this team have a good enough 2nd scorer to keep Lebrons minutes low in the regular season.

Can we really play Lonzo/Stephenson or Lonzo/Rondo together given their shooting deficiencies?

I don't think we will have another 20ppg+ scorer besides LBJ.

I think BI/Kuz may come close to it, around 18-19ppg mark. But I think that we have enough overall depth that LBJ shouldn't have to play 38mpg.
Four Decade Bandwagon
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 6:09 am    Post subject:

King Randle wrote:
Do any of you guys listen when the FO speaks? The Lakers signed McGee quickly after Bron committed. Pelinka said they targeted him to be the STARTING CENTER, because he's very long, athletic and allows the team to play fast like they want to. McGee is going to play upwards to 25 minutes a game. The question is who's the back-up. IMO they want Wagner to impress and play that role...although I also believe it will be done through committee, i.e. Bron, Kuz who knows even maybe Deng for a few minutes. It would be nice if Zu finally took this seriously and got in tip top shape. His flat foot slow game ala Marc Gasol doesn't fit with what we're doing.

It will be interesting to see if to see are the team's expectations of McGee's mpg. I would be pleasantly surprised if he can even reach 20mpg for the season.

McGee has not even hit 20mpg since the 2011-12 season. Last four seasons at 10mpg. A bit skeptical he makes a dramatic jump to 25mpg. another one of those "I'm going to need to see it first" scenarios.

I do think McGee will have an impact this season. Maybe even start. Just not seeing him getting those kinds of mpg. I'm even starting to come to terms with the center by committee strategy. Will be interesting if they stick to it or add another.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 6:11 am    Post subject:

I think it'll be something like:

McGee: 18-19mpg
Zub or Wagner (whomever wins the backup spot): 15-16mpg
LBJ: 5-6mpg
Other: the rest.
RI Laker
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 6:22 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
I would monitor Dedmon's situation, maybe someone we can trade for after 12/15. I think Lopez/Chandler/Vuc may all be buyout candidates in February 2019 too.

So I wouldn't be too concerned about our center rotation going into the playoffs.

We are going to be a strong candidate to get a solid buyout candidate if needed before its said and done. Magic is playing this perfectly as many paths are going to be open to us both this year and next.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 6:25 am    Post subject:

RI Laker wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

We are going to be a strong candidate to get a solid buyout candidate if needed before its said and done. Magic is playing this perfectly as many paths are going to be open to us both this year and next.

Yup. I almost expect one of them to be our starting playoff center.

We have a full room exception to use to lure 1-2 buyout guys. Chandler/Ariza would be my targets in Feb. 2019.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 6:26 am    Post subject:

Dreamshake wrote:
RG73 wrote:
Dreamshake wrote:
Rockets got Ennis on a two year deal, with year two being a player option. He's been making 39% of his corner 3's. Hopefully the D is there. Our D coordinator had him in Memphis.

Why do we care? This isn't the Rockets free agency thread and isn't Clutch City.net that away---------->

This is the free agency thread, which is full of updates on where free agents have signed, as some posters are interested in these players. There are numerous posts about Ennis in this thread. Obviously quite a few posters care about him. Hence the update.

yeah, this time of year.....we update every teams FA signings because they are no longer on the board for the Lakers. It's all good.
Four Decade Bandwagon
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 6:28 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
I think it'll be something like:

McGee: 18-19mpg
Zub or Wagner (whomever wins the backup spot): 15-16mpg
LBJ: 5-6mpg
Other: the rest.

JMO but I think Zubac (or Wagner) will get more court time.

My prediction to start the season is in the range of Zubac 22-24 mpg, McGee 15-18mpg, and the last 6-10mpg at small ball with James and the rest combined.

Considering how the roster is constructed I could even see small ball not being as significant as some are suggesting. Just a couple mins per stretch with the bench instead of the starters.
PRLakeShow
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 6:28 am    Post subject:

Dreamshake wrote:
RG73 wrote:
Dreamshake wrote:

Absolutely no one on this board 'cares' about Ennis.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Topic HOF All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 2551, 2552, 2553 ... 2678, 2679, 2680  Next
Page 2552 of 2680
Jump to: