OFFICIAL 2018 FREE AGENCY THREAD (7/24 Update: LAL Has Full 15 Man Roster; p.1 - Remaining FAs, Notable Expiring Contracts & Lakers' 2019 Cap)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 2552, 2553, 2554 ... 2678, 2679, 2680  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Topic HOF This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AirKobe8
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 6:29 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
LakerMindLA wrote:
Does this team have a good enough 2nd scorer to keep Lebrons minutes low in the regular season.

Can we really play Lonzo/Stephenson or Lonzo/Rondo together given their shooting deficiencies?

I don't think we will have another 20ppg+ scorer besides LBJ.

I think BI/Kuz may come close to it, around 18-19ppg mark. But I think that we have enough overall depth that LBJ shouldn't have to play 38mpg.

Last year we had 4 guys at around 16 ppg: Randle, Kuz, Ingram, IT. I expect Ingram and Kuz to at least mantain or go over that. You can count on Lonzo + Rondo for at least another 22-24 ppg, and KCP maybe around 15. So we're talking about something like 70 ppg for this guys + LeBron's what, 25, to say the least? We should be fine scoring the ball.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 6:31 am    Post subject:

AirKobe8 wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
LakerMindLA wrote:
Does this team have a good enough 2nd scorer to keep Lebrons minutes low in the regular season.

Can we really play Lonzo/Stephenson or Lonzo/Rondo together given their shooting deficiencies?

I think BI/Kuz may come close to it, around 18-19ppg mark. But I think that we have enough overall depth that LBJ shouldn't have to play 38mpg.

Last year we had 4 guys at around 16 ppg: Randle, Kuz, Ingram, IT. I expect Ingram and Kuz to at least mantain or go over that. You can count on Lonzo + Rondo for at least another 22-24 ppg, and KCP maybe around 15. So we're talking about something like 70 ppg for this guys + LeBron's what, 25, to say the least? We should be fine scoring the ball.

Yeah. It'll be by committee, with BI/Kuz as the 2nd leading scorers behind LBJ. I can see something like:

LBJ: 27ppg
BI: 19ppg
Kuz: 18ppg

Fourth leading scorer is probably KCP.
Super Mega Team
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 6:42 am    Post subject:

2019 wrote:
adkindo wrote:
2019 wrote:
governator wrote:
Rondo-KCP-BI-LeBron-McGee
Lonzo-Hart-Lance-Kuzma-Zubac (Caruso-the other 2way-Svi-Bonga-Mo)

Lonzo/Rondo might be flipped but that 2nd unit might be one of the best in the league, up there with GS and Celtics

I would start Lonzo but either way, that bench is insane once you sub Moe for Zubac.

unless Ball is terrible in camp....I would start him....just think in the big picture, Ball's confidence and development are much more important. That is why it makes me uneasy about telling Rondo it is an open competition...because chances are high he will not be "cool with it" if he feels slighted or cheated.

Same.

Rondo running the 2nd unit feels right while Lonzo can get live action with LeBron and then guys he's familiar with in KCP and BI.

I would like Lonzo off the bench so he can play against the 2nd units of other teams and build experience. Plus, I envision the 2nd unit similar to what we had with the Lakers championship runs with Kobe/Gasol/LO where Farmar, Ariza, and co would change the game by push the pace as a second unit. Lonzo/Hart/Svi/Kuzma/Wagner would excel in that.
CervantesRises
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 6:44 am    Post subject:

Thought yall would finally like to see BIs response to LBJ on IG...it's

https://lonzowire.usatoday.com/2018/07/10/lonzo-lamelo-ball-lose-it-over-brandon-ingrams-lebron-james-ig-post/

#BannersOverBillboards
CervantesRises
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 6:46 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
AirKobe8 wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
LakerMindLA wrote:

Yeah. It'll be by committee, with BI/Kuz as the 2nd leading scorers behind LBJ. I can see something like:

That looks right...I think BI or Kuz could be over 20 ppg if we really commit to managing LBJs minutes especially during inferior comp.

#BannersOverBillboards
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 6:48 am    Post subject:

CervantesRises wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
AirKobe8 wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
LakerMindLA wrote:

That looks right...I think BI or Kuz could be over 20 ppg if we really commit to managing LBJs minutes especially during inferior comp.

I think BI/Kuz's life is about to get much easier. Lots of open looks. If they can consistently hit them (especially 3s) I can see both getting closer to 20ppg.
Super Mega Team
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 6:49 am    Post subject:

Four Decade Bandwagon wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
I think it'll be something like:

McGee: 18-19mpg
Zub or Wagner (whomever wins the backup spot): 15-16mpg
LBJ: 5-6mpg
Other: the rest.

JMO but I think Zubac (or Wagner) will get more court time.

My prediction to start the season is in the range of Zubac 22-24 mpg, McGee 15-18mpg, and the last 6-10mpg at small ball with James and the rest combined.

Considering how the roster is constructed I could even see small ball not being as significant as some are suggesting. Just a couple mins per stretch with the bench instead of the starters.

I don't think Zubac is ready to play 22-24 mpg consistently but I hope he proves me wrong. Maybe playing next to LBJ will make his life easier but I don't see it.
Super Mega Team
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 6:52 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
CervantesRises wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
AirKobe8 wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
LakerMindLA wrote:

I think BI/Kuz's life is about to get much easier. Lots of open looks. If they can consistently hit them (especially 3s) I can see both getting closer to 20ppg.

For many of them, for first time, they will play alongside someone who commands a double team every play. Apologies to the Kobe farewell tour (BI mainly).
pokoy

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 6:53 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
AirKobe8 wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
LakerMindLA wrote:

I actually think (hope?) LBJ's scoring and assists could take a dip here because I'm hoping he can play fewer minutes and lot less with the ball so he can "rest" during his stay here. Bring the minutes down to 32 mpg for the regular season.

I think it's possible Kuz and BI can score over 20 ppg or close if that happens, with Kuz taking the Lou Williams' I'm Coming Off the Bench and Shooting Everything role, and BI just playing more minutes than everyone else again (hence having more opportunities to score) since he's our most versatile player after LBJ.

LBJ: 25 ppg
BI: 21 ppg
Kuz: 20 ppg
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
CervantesRises
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 6:54 am    Post subject:

OC Lakerfan wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
CervantesRises wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
AirKobe8 wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
LakerMindLA wrote:

For many of them, for first time, they will play alongside someone who commands a double team every play. Apologies to the Kobe farewell tour (BI mainly).

And Luke's motion offense is perfect for a player that creates gravity just by being on the court.

#BannersOverBillboards
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 6:54 am    Post subject:

I don't think Zub is a 20mpg+ player either.

Stamina. Foul trouble. Inability to guard perimeter players.

Wagner may offer more offensive versatility and quickness.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 6:56 am    Post subject:

pokoy wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
AirKobe8 wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
LakerMindLA wrote:

I actually think (hope?) LBJ's scoring and assists could take a dip here because I'm hoping he can play fewer minutes and lot less with the ball so he can "rest" during his stay here. Bring the minutes down to 32 mpg for the regular season.

I think it's possible Kuz and BI can score over 20 ppg or close if that happens, with Kuz taking the Lou Williams' I'm Coming Off the Bench and Shooting Everything role, and BI just playing more minutes than everyone else again (hence having more opportunities to score) since he's our most versatile player after LBJ.

BI getting 21ppg would depend on FT% and 3% and attempts. That would be quite a surprising outcome to see him score that much next year.
twisted
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 7:02 am    Post subject:

Dreamshake wrote:
RG73 wrote:
Dreamshake wrote:
Rockets got Ennis on a two year deal, with year two being a player option. He's been making 39% of his corner 3's. Hopefully the D is there. Our D coordinator had him in Memphis.

Why do we care? This isn't the Rockets free agency thread and isn't Clutch City.net that away---------->

This is the free agency thread, which is full of updates on where free agents have signed, as some posters are interested in these players. There are numerous posts about Ennis in this thread. Obviously quite a few posters care about him. Hence the update.

Now I know you're lying
pokoy

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 7:05 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
pokoy wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
AirKobe8 wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
LakerMindLA wrote:

BI getting 21ppg would depend on FT% and 3% and attempts. That would be quite a surprising outcome to see him score that much next year.

It's wishful thinking from me, going by the supposed "LBJ wants other playmakers with him this year" thing.

And yes, I think BI's 3 pt attempts go up this year with him shooting around the same percentage. Should open up his game a bit more for his drives. 21 ppg would be the result of hitting just one more 3 and either one more FG or 2 more FTs next season, which I think is doable for him.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 7:06 am    Post subject:

Quote:
It's wishful thinking from me, going by the supposed "LBJ wants other playmakers with him this year" thing.

And yes, I think BI's 3 pt attempts go up this year with him shooting around the same percentage. Should open up his game a bit more for his drives. 21 ppg would be the result of hitting just one more 3 and either one more FG or 2 more FTs next season, which I think is doable for him.

Bear in mind, he didn't shoot many 3s last year so his 39% could go up/down by a lot if he shot more. He needs to not hesitate on them and since LBJ finds shooters for 3s at the corner, I would be making 1000+ 3s a day from the corners if I was BI.
Four Decade Bandwagon
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 7:09 am    Post subject:

How they choose to play the center role is one of the bigger questions of the season.

I like what I see from Wagner, just not convinced he gets those kind of mpg early in the season. Will likely adjust develop and get his opportunity second half of the season or with an injury .

My wild speculation of Zubac getting those mpg is based more on optimism then anything I have seen on the court. He has shown some stability at times last season. Reports of him maturing and playing well for his National team is also encouraging.

Zubac may be ready for a complimentary role. Roster does not need a big impact from the center position. Just effort and solid play. He may be ready.

Another slower less athletic center in Mozgov was able to play 25 mpg and contribute in James first year in CLE. IMO Zubac is a bit more athletic and a better defender on switches. Not great but competent.

Add to thatthe athleticism of McGee and the potential shooting ability of Wagner could make for an interesting center rotation. Like the depth too. In case of injuries or matchups Walton will have options. How effective we will see.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 7:11 am    Post subject:

Quote:
Another slower less athletic center in Mozgov was able to play 25 mpg and contribute in James first year in CLE. IMO Zubac is a bit more athletic and a better defender on switches. Not great but competent.

Disagree. Moz was far more mobile and a better leaper than Zub. He was a decent lob target too, which Zub is not.

Moz was also a better vertical defender and a wall to post up against. I haven't seen that from Zub at all.
pokoy

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 7:14 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
Quote:

Bear in mind, he didn't shoot many 3s last year so his 39% could go up/down by a lot if he shot more. He needs to not hesitate on them and since LBJ finds shooters for 3s at the corner, I would be making 1000+ 3s a day from the corners if I was BI.

Agreed - I think quite a few of his misses came when he'd hesitate because he'd want to drive so hard. Again wishful thinking, but I think his shooting touch is there already and remember that when we first drafted him, many thought his strength was shooting. I think he just needed to get adjusted to NBA speed and tweak his stroke, which it looks like he's been doing. Maybe his percentage dips to about 36%, but if he takes at least three more 3 pointers a game (possible if he finally just takes what is given to him), it would be worth the percentage drop.

Also the LBJ effect... I don't think the kids understand how much more open they're going to be this season yet.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 7:16 am    Post subject:

pokoy wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
Quote:

Agreed - I think quite a few of his misses came when he'd hesitate because he'd want to drive so hard. Again wishful thinking, but I think his shooting touch is there already and remember that when we first drafted him, many thought his strength was shooting. I think he just needed to get adjusted to NBA speed and tweak his stroke, which it looks like he's been doing. Maybe his percentage dips to about 36%, but if he takes at least three more 3 pointers a game (possible if he finally just takes what is given to him), it would be worth the percentage drop.

Also the LBJ effect... I don't think the kids understand how much more open they're going to be this season yet.

Last year we had to move the ball so much to generate open looks.

This year, LBJ will draw so much insane gravity, especially if he plays PF, that kids will be shocked at how open they are.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 7:32 am    Post subject:

Bard207 wrote:
The Juggernaut wrote:
Jerry's bitter as (bleep) because Jeanie didn't want him back as a consultant. And also still lingering saltiness from back when Phil came in. It's all good, we still love you Jerry and the success you brought this franchise on and off the court.

I thought that Jeanie wanted West back, but Magic was the one who was opposed.

No, Jeanie turned him down before Magic was hired.
Dreamshake
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 7:41 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
I would monitor Dedmon's situation, maybe someone we can trade for after 12/15. I think Lopez/Chandler/Vuc may all be buyout candidates in February 2019 too.

So I wouldn't be too concerned about our center rotation going into the playoffs.

Wow. I said it. Playoffs.

Dedmon will be quality for somebody IMO.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 7:43 am    Post subject:

JPaulK0n wrote:
adkindo wrote:
JPaulK0n wrote:
Quote:
Jerry West: "All due respect to the Lakers, who handled everything well, but, as these things go, LeBron was not a tough free-agent signing. LeBron wanted to come to L.A. and he wanted to come to the Lakers. Period. He has a family he's thinking about. He has a home here."

First Zach Lowe, West, and now the media are saying that everyone knew that LeBron was going to the Lakers, so its not even an accomplishment. The lengths the media and the rest of the league goes out their way to discredit the Lakers is something else.

I partially agree in a sense....I think Jeanie, Magic and Pelinka were extremely important through both reputation and an improved perception of the organization.....for that they deserve a ton of credit. I do not think we get Lebron without them. That being said, I think LA was his choice, and the Lakers just had to be acceptable to him.

It's just funny because if you use the logic West used, than Jerry West's whole Lakers run can be viewed the same way, as Shaq went to LA because of all the off the court Hollywood opportunities, Kobe forced his way as a rookie to play in LA, Magic wasn't going to declare for the 1979 draft if the Bulls ended up with the number one pick instead of the Lakers, Kareem demanding to be traded to the Lakers to play in LA, etc. I just think its sour grapes by West and the media to now say its all because of Lakers exceptionalism when the league and media have been boasting for the past 5 years that being a big market doesn't matter anymore in today's social media age, and now crying foul of LeBron joining the Lakers because it's in LA.

If you think that Shaq’s signing was anything like Lebron’s then you weren’t around when we signed Shaq. It was a roller coaster.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 7:44 am    Post subject:

Dreamshake wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
I would monitor Dedmon's situation, maybe someone we can trade for after 12/15. I think Lopez/Chandler/Vuc may all be buyout candidates in February 2019 too.

So I wouldn't be too concerned about our center rotation going into the playoffs.

I was surprised he opted in. Surely could have gotten a longer term deal at the same price or higher.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 7:50 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
Dreamshake wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

I was surprised he opted in. Surely could have gotten a longer term deal at the same price or higher.

After seeing what many centers have had to take, I'm not so sure he made the wrong decision.
fansincemagic
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 7:53 am    Post subject:

No matter how these minutes scenario's are being split, one common theme is all three of the bigs are being counted on. That's my issue. Even if the plan is to play McGee more than 12mpg, per the Brown quote they may find out it isn't his best fit. Zubac has shown flashes but been inconsistent, Wagner has the offensive game but is a rookie regardless and may be a liability early on defensively.

I get that the lack of activity could signal them having a hunch that either of those three won't have those issues...and that LBJ can play 6-8mpg there, but it's not something to bank on. They need one more option in the middle, if nothing else to guard against injury. If they don't want Len, or don't want to spend the exception they should at least bring in a guy for the vet min for an extra body even if they aren't an ideal fit.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Topic HOF All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 2552, 2553, 2554 ... 2678, 2679, 2680  Next
Page 2553 of 2680
Jump to: