OFFICIAL 2018 FREE AGENCY THREAD (7/24 Update: LAL Has Full 15 Man Roster; p.1 - Remaining FAs, Notable Expiring Contracts & Lakers' 2019 Cap)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 2553, 2554, 2555 ... 2678, 2679, 2680  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Topic HOF This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PHILosophize
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 7:53 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
I think it'll be something like:

McGee: 18-19mpg
Zub or Wagner (whomever wins the backup spot): 15-16mpg
LBJ: 5-6mpg
Other: the rest.

that's looking pretty bleak
epak
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 7:54 am    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
Bard207 wrote:
The Juggernaut wrote:
Jerry's bitter as (bleep) because Jeanie didn't want him back as a consultant. And also still lingering saltiness from back when Phil came in. It's all good, we still love you Jerry and the success you brought this franchise on and off the court.

I thought that Jeanie wanted West back, but Magic was the one who was opposed.

No, Jeanie turned him down before Magic was hired.

Is that true?
I thought she was talking to Magic before she kicked out Jim/Mitch.
Which makes the timing of Jeanie and Jerry talking seem off.
epak
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 7:57 am    Post subject:

fansincemagic wrote:
No matter how these minutes scenario's are being split, one common theme is all three of the bigs are being counted on. That's my issue. Even if the plan is to play McGee more than 12mpg, per the Brown quote they may find out it isn't his best fit. Zubac has shown flashes but been inconsistent, Wagner has the offensive game but is a rookie regardless and may be a liability early on defensively.

I get that the lack of activity could signal them having a hunch that either of those three won't have those issues...and that LBJ can play 6-8mpg there, but it's not something to bank on. They need one more option in the middle, if nothing else to guard against injury. If they don't want Len, or don't want to spend the exception they should at least bring in a guy for the vet min for an extra body even if they aren't an ideal fit.

GS won with a 4 headed monster of Zaza, McGee, Bell and Looney last year. Perhaps we're going that route, i.e. the Jordan Bulls winning w/ their 3 headed no-names at center.
PHILosophize
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 7:58 am    Post subject:

epak wrote:
fansincemagic wrote:
No matter how these minutes scenario's are being split, one common theme is all three of the bigs are being counted on. That's my issue. Even if the plan is to play McGee more than 12mpg, per the Brown quote they may find out it isn't his best fit. Zubac has shown flashes but been inconsistent, Wagner has the offensive game but is a rookie regardless and may be a liability early on defensively.

I get that the lack of activity could signal them having a hunch that either of those three won't have those issues...and that LBJ can play 6-8mpg there, but it's not something to bank on. They need one more option in the middle, if nothing else to guard against injury. If they don't want Len, or don't want to spend the exception they should at least bring in a guy for the vet min for an extra body even if they aren't an ideal fit.

GS won with a 4 headed monster of Zaza, McGee, Bell and Looney last year. Perhaps we're going that route, i.e. the Jordan Bulls winning w/ their 3 headed no-names at center.

sure but we don't have nearly the remaining starting five that they have; we can't afford a center rotation like the one we have now IMO
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 8:00 am    Post subject:

PRLakeShow wrote:
Dreamshake wrote:
RG73 wrote:
Dreamshake wrote:
Rockets got Ennis on a two year deal, with year two being a player option. He's been making 39% of his corner 3's. Hopefully the D is there. Our D coordinator had him in Memphis.

Why do we care? This isn't the Rockets free agency thread and isn't Clutch City.net that away---------->

This is the free agency thread, which is full of updates on where free agents have signed, as some posters are interested in these players. There are numerous posts about Ennis in this thread. Obviously quite a few posters care about him. Hence the update.

Absolutely no one on this board 'cares' about Ennis.

And of course you are wrong
epak
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 8:03 am    Post subject:

PHILosophize wrote:
epak wrote:
fansincemagic wrote:

sure but we don't have nearly the remaining starting five that they have; we can't afford a center rotation like the one we have now IMO

Our lineups are untested for sure. Especially since we don't know who will playing what role yet. The GS lineup has the advantage on many levels, I agree. I guess I just dont see any other center out there that's going to make this team better than the 3-4 options we currently have.
24Legend007
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 8:05 am    Post subject:

I am all for a Dedmon addition as well. Who and what gets traded though?
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 8:06 am    Post subject:

24Legend007 wrote:
I am all for a Dedmon addition as well. Who and what gets traded though?

That's why I mentioned 12/15, the date where guys who signed a deal in the summer can be traded (though KCP has veto powers).

In theory, you could do something like Lance for Dedmon on 12/15.
Ziggy
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 8:09 am    Post subject:

epak wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
Bard207 wrote:
The Juggernaut wrote:
Jerry's bitter as (bleep) because Jeanie didn't want him back as a consultant. And also still lingering saltiness from back when Phil came in. It's all good, we still love you Jerry and the success you brought this franchise on and off the court.

Is that true?

I remember Magic saying something like, "We didn't feel there would be a role for him". So I think he was involved in the decision in some way.
fansincemagic
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 8:12 am    Post subject:

epak wrote:
PHILosophize wrote:
epak wrote:
fansincemagic wrote:

Our lineups are untested for sure. Especially since we don't know who will playing what role yet. The GS lineup has the advantage on many levels, I agree. I guess I just dont see any other center out there that's going to make this team better than the 3-4 options we currently have.

The difference is that any of Cartwright/Wennington/Longley could split the minutes with no issues. Same goes for the GS as Zaza is actually a descent center (basically averaged 9 and 9 with Dallas the year before coming over) so anyone could back him up. With LA, if Zubac regresses again can you really play McGee 20, the rookie 20 and James 8 every night?

They're going to need another option, and I believe they will add one before the season. It's nice that this is really the only roster issue.
laker50
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 8:13 am    Post subject:

Actually, wouldn't make any trades for any of the young core this year until find out if they can hack it with Lebron.
The criteria would be WCF playoffs or close.
Getting a superstar now would only gut the team and not make the above possible. But should at least find out who in the young core want to keep.

Would try to make a small trade to get a C but it is not really necessary if the price is too great.
King Randle
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 8:19 am    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
JPaulK0n wrote:
adkindo wrote:
JPaulK0n wrote:
Quote:
Jerry West: "All due respect to the Lakers, who handled everything well, but, as these things go, LeBron was not a tough free-agent signing. LeBron wanted to come to L.A. and he wanted to come to the Lakers. Period. He has a family he's thinking about. He has a home here."

First Zach Lowe, West, and now the media are saying that everyone knew that LeBron was going to the Lakers, so its not even an accomplishment. The lengths the media and the rest of the league goes out their way to discredit the Lakers is something else.

I partially agree in a sense....I think Jeanie, Magic and Pelinka were extremely important through both reputation and an improved perception of the organization.....for that they deserve a ton of credit. I do not think we get Lebron without them. That being said, I think LA was his choice, and the Lakers just had to be acceptable to him.

It's just funny because if you use the logic West used, than Jerry West's whole Lakers run can be viewed the same way, as Shaq went to LA because of all the off the court Hollywood opportunities, Kobe forced his way as a rookie to play in LA, Magic wasn't going to declare for the 1979 draft if the Bulls ended up with the number one pick instead of the Lakers, Kareem demanding to be traded to the Lakers to play in LA, etc. I just think its sour grapes by West and the media to now say its all because of Lakers exceptionalism when the league and media have been boasting for the past 5 years that being a big market doesn't matter anymore in today's social media age, and now crying foul of LeBron joining the Lakers because it's in LA.

If you think that Shaq’s signing was anything like Lebron’s then you weren’t around when we signed Shaq. It was a roller coaster.

What do you mean by roller coaster? If it wasn't obvious to everyone that Shaq was coming then you had blinders on. Shaq had Laker aspirations forever. He wanted Hollywood more than anything. There couldn't have been an easier prediction than Shaq to LA. All West had to do was clear the space and he did when he dealt Lynch and Peeler...and obviously dealt Divac for Kobe. That must have been the easiest call in free agency history.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 8:20 am    Post subject:

King Randle wrote:
Do any of you guys listen when the FO speaks? The Lakers signed McGee quickly after Bron committed. Pelinka said they targeted him to be the STARTING CENTER, because he's very long, athletic and allows the team to play fast like they want to. McGee is going to play upwards to 25 minutes a game. The question is who's the back-up. IMO they want Wagner to impress and play that role...although I also believe it will be done through committee, i.e. Bron, Kuz who knows even maybe Deng for a few minutes. It would be nice if Zu finally took this seriously and got in tip top shape. His flat foot slow game ala Marc Gasol doesn't fit with what we're doing.

I read here that McGee suffers from asthma, that is a limiting factor. He hasn’t played 20 mpg in 6 seasons and has only started 34 games in that period. I like the signing as a backup, but it is overly optimistic as a starter.
King Randle
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 8:23 am    Post subject:

pokoy wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
AirKobe8 wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
LakerMindLA wrote:
Does this team have a good enough 2nd scorer to keep Lebrons minutes low in the regular season.

Can we really play Lonzo/Stephenson or Lonzo/Rondo together given their shooting deficiencies?

I don't think we will have another 20ppg+ scorer besides LBJ.

I think BI/Kuz may come close to it, around 18-19ppg mark. But I think that we have enough overall depth that LBJ shouldn't have to play 38mpg.

Last year we had 4 guys at around 16 ppg: Randle, Kuz, Ingram, IT. I expect Ingram and Kuz to at least mantain or go over that. You can count on Lonzo + Rondo for at least another 22-24 ppg, and KCP maybe around 15. So we're talking about something like 70 ppg for this guys + LeBron's what, 25, to say the least? We should be fine scoring the ball.

Yeah. It'll be by committee, with BI/Kuz as the 2nd leading scorers behind LBJ. I can see something like:

LBJ: 27ppg
BI: 19ppg
Kuz: 18ppg

Fourth leading scorer is probably KCP.

I actually think (hope?) LBJ's scoring and assists could take a dip here because I'm hoping he can play fewer minutes and lot less with the ball so he can "rest" during his stay here. Bring the minutes down to 32 mpg for the regular season.

I think it's possible Kuz and BI can score over 20 ppg or close if that happens, with Kuz taking the Lou Williams' I'm Coming Off the Bench and Shooting Everything role, and BI just playing more minutes than everyone else again (hence having more opportunities to score) since he's our most versatile player after LBJ.

LBJ: 25 ppg
BI: 21 ppg
Kuz: 20 ppg

Pokoy I don't know if you agree with this but I see break out years for both Ingram and Kuz just like Tatum and Brown for the C's. I think Ingram and Kuz are just as talented...at this moment if I had to rank them it would be Tatum, Ingram, Kuz and Brown. But when its all said and done I believe Ingram will be the best of the 4 due to his ability to play both ends of the floor better than any of them. I think the narrative that Bron came here alone will be laughable after this year.
epak
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 8:24 am    Post subject:

fansincemagic wrote:
epak wrote:
PHILosophize wrote:
epak wrote:
fansincemagic wrote:

The difference is that any of Cartwright/Wennington/Longley could split the minutes with no issues. Same goes for the GS as Zaza is actually a descent center (basically averaged 9 and 9 with Dallas the year before coming over) so anyone could back him up. With LA, if Zubac regresses again can you really play McGee 20, the rookie 20 and James 8 every night?

They're going to need another option, and I believe they will add one before the season. It's nice that this is really the only roster issue.

Just a correction on my part. GS also had Draymond
I'm leaning towards this not being the same roster as the one to start the season as well.

And agree that I do believe our other positions are filled with good starters and backups.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 8:25 am    Post subject:

What I'm interested in seeing is BI's continued growth as a playmaker. Remember those games without Lonzo? Now LBJ has multiple guys who can create/playmake. Who on the Cavs could do that last year?
epak
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 8:26 am    Post subject:

Ziggy wrote:
epak wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
Bard207 wrote:
The Juggernaut wrote:

Is that true?

I remember Magic saying something like, "We didn't feel there would be a role for him". So I think he was involved in the decision in some way.

That's what I remember as well.
That doesn't sound like Jeanie (on her own) turned West down before Magic was hired?
mixtim
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 8:30 am    Post subject:

Shaq wanted the Lakers,and the Lakers only,and was his then agent,Leonard Armato,the man who really orchestrated the path to bring him in Los Angeles.
All West had to do was creating space on the cap,wich he did by trading Lynch and Peeler for peanuts,and of course the Divac/Kobe swap.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 8:32 am    Post subject:

epak wrote:
Ziggy wrote:
epak wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
Bard207 wrote:
The Juggernaut wrote:

Is that true?

That's what I remember as well.
That doesn't sound like Jeanie (on her own) turned West down before Magic was hired?

Magic and Rob were in place when the story came out, and the insinuation was that Jeanie brought it up to Magic and/or Rob, and the decision was made to not bring West into the FO.
epak
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 8:32 am    Post subject:

mixtim wrote:
Shaq wanted the Lakers,and the Lakers only,and was his then agent,Leonard Armato,the man who really orchestrated the path to bring him in Los Angeles.
All West had to do was creating space on the cap,wich he did by trading Lynch and Peeler for peanuts,and of course the Divac/Kobe swap.

Quote:
Jerry West: "All due respect to the Lakers, who handled everything well, but, as these things go, Shaq was not a tough free-agent signing. Shaq wanted to come to L.A. and he wanted to come to the Lakers. Period."
Cochese
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 8:33 am    Post subject:

I'm worried dudes. Center is a huge weakness in our roster and we are just gonna have to hope it works out. I dunno if McGee can handle the minutes and we are hoping that Zubac and Wagner can step up. Not good, imo.

I guess we are going to go small more often and put Lebron at center. Could work
King Randle
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 8:35 am    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
King Randle wrote:
Do any of you guys listen when the FO speaks? The Lakers signed McGee quickly after Bron committed. Pelinka said they targeted him to be the STARTING CENTER, because he's very long, athletic and allows the team to play fast like they want to. McGee is going to play upwards to 25 minutes a game. The question is who's the back-up. IMO they want Wagner to impress and play that role...although I also believe it will be done through committee, i.e. Bron, Kuz who knows even maybe Deng for a few minutes. It would be nice if Zu finally took this seriously and got in tip top shape. His flat foot slow game ala Marc Gasol doesn't fit with what we're doing.

I read here that McGee suffers from asthma, that is a limiting factor. He hasn’t played 20 mpg in 6 seasons and has only started 34 games in that period. I like the signing as a backup, but it is overly optimistic as a starter.

If you kept up with the situation in GS....asthma had a role but more importantly was that the team couldn't run the high post offense through him and reportedly he wasn't a great screener. Hence the center by committee. I know Magic and Pelinka specifically targeted him because of his ability to protect the rim and efficiently have the team play at a fast pace. But like they also said no starter except for LeBron has been cemented.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 8:36 am    Post subject:

mixtim wrote:

revisionist history....if Magic do not lowball Shaq, he resigns with Orlando
Lonzo'sBalls
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 8:36 am    Post subject:

Cochese wrote:
I'm worried dudes. Center is a huge weakness in our roster and we are just gonna have to hope it works out. I dunno if McGee can handle the minutes and we are hoping that Zubac and Wagner can step up. Not good, imo.

I guess we are going to go small more often and put Lebron at center. Could work

I too am worried. McGee has shown he can't physically play more than 20mpg (through no fault of his own). Do we trust Zubac and Wagner to handle 14mpg each? Not really sure.

Hopefully they are only asked to set screens, rebound and play something resembling defense.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 8:41 am    Post subject:

Cochese wrote:

Lebron hasn’t shown to be a good small ball center, and we have no other options. It’s a weakness they need to shore up next offseason.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Topic HOF All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 2553, 2554, 2555 ... 2678, 2679, 2680  Next
Page 2554 of 2680
Jump to: