Official MAGINKA Front Office Thread (Ignored coaching staff's pleas to re-sign Brook Lopez and Randle pg. 145)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 52, 53, 54 ... 172, 173, 174  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
trablos
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 7:56 pm    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
70sdude wrote:
I think Magic Johnson is making a mistake in remembering how the Pistons took down his own Showtime Lakers, and from that extrapolates how the Lakers now can build a defense-first team to similarly take down the Warriors.

It won't work.

1. The rules about defensive contact have radically changed since 1989, such that a team radically slanted towards defense - one coupled with poor perimeter shooting - can't win the title today. Can't.

2. The error in his plan is found in a second poor interpretation of history and its transference of lessons to today. He's forgotten that the Lakers were incredibly reduced as an offensive power in Kareem's old age, such that a top defensive club could break down the Lakers. The Warriors' starters are in their prime, save for Iggy who is 34. The Lakers never won the trophy after '88 because Kareem got old and retired - first and foremost. Nothing like that has happened to the Warriors, and in facts, they're probably as strong today as in any of the four past seasons.

You may be right, or you may be reading to much into what has been said. I don't get the impression that we're trying to reincarnate the Bad Boy Pistons. I think the FO envisions a team with guys like Ingram, Ball, and Kuzma growing into shooters, but with nasty old vets like Rondo and Stephenson to bring some defensive intensity and grit.

I'm not sold on this particular group of nasty old vets, but I think the vision is a good one.

Absolutely, I like the out of the box thinking. GS simply has too much firepower, it's like trying to out-box Mayweather- it's a losing scenario. Best you could hope for us to rough them up and keep them on their toes by capitalizing on all their mistakes, and making very little of them. The sample size isn't very big, but the teams that have given GS a real fight (Rox and OKC pre durant) played great defense and took advantage of their tiny margin for error. Defense and good IQ players are exactly what our focus should be, at least until we get another max all star hopefully.
LAkers 4 Life
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 11:19 pm    Post subject:

More than anything, the players they've signed will help forge a certain identity that the organization wants from their players. We're familiar with the offensive potential of the young players, but it's looking more like the franchise wants the young players to learn the defensive side as well, even after their big improvement last season. They're trying to build up a culture with these 1 year gap players. These guys are essentially bridge players for the young players to learn how to become the type of 2-way title contending players that the Lakers are looking to develop. One possible benefit is that they signed guys with a bit of a chip on their shoulders. They have some snarl in them. Like former LA Kings GM Dena Lombardi once said "Every good army has a few criminals".
AJ
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 8:55 am    Post subject:

My odd takeaway from the tv special and the presser is that I could listen to Rob read a book anytime....something about the voice...
Lonzo'sBalls
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 8:56 am    Post subject:

AJ wrote:
My odd takeaway from the tv special and the presser is that I could listen to Rob read a book anytime....something about the voice...

I just can't stop thinking he is Rob Lowe when I see pictures. Have to remind myself.
splashmtn
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 9:04 am    Post subject:

GTL wrote:
I love the emphasis on our youth. Magic and Rob touched on this yesterday on Spectrum as well. It leads me to believe that they are too high on Ingram, Kuzma and Ball to trade them away, which is exactly what I've hoped for. I want to keep that nucleus and allow them to improve, while signing the second big FA next summer. It's best of both worlds. We don't have to lose anybody and we can add another star.

Thanks for the link, 32!
The reason you keep the youth is if you're so high on them you think they can become allstars or superstars. if you think thats the case. then you keep them because you will not only have multiple allstars, you will also have multiple allstars at a bargain basement price. There is no other way to get allstars on the cheap but to draft them and have them on their rookie deals or 2nd deals right before they blow up. . This way they wont be sucking up 150 million dollars of cap space like a true bonafide superstar can and would.

You can't build the warriors unless you get lucky enough to draft that many allstars then bring in a real star or two after that. the money works in that scenario. any other scenario the money wont work.

put it this way do any of you think the warriors could've traded for all 4 of their stars(not counting hurt DC)?

WE know curry was a MVP. so he would've requested the super max or close to it.

Klay is making like 17 mil a year. if Klay was the best player on his own team or even the 2nd best player on his team on another team he would be getting bradley beal money which is like 25 million a year.

Draymond is bringing in 16 mil per. if he was the lone baller or one of two stars on another team. he would be also making bradley beal money an additional 25 mil per.

there's no way they could afford to pay all these guys that much money then throw in KD even if he took a slight pay cut. it wouldnt be enough.

This is why Maginka are all about the youth + a superstar and maybe + another allstar for the right price. its not worth it to have two superstars and a bunch of role players to lose to the warriors in the WCF's because thats exactly whats going to happen unless the warriors get hurt.
splashmtn
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 9:09 am    Post subject:

USCandLakers wrote:
Lonzo'sBalls wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:
petergr wrote:
Pelinka: Lakers designed to combat Warriors
http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/24070278/los-angeles-lakers-gm-rob-pelinka-built-team-differently-lebron-james

"If your goal is to win a championship, you've got to look at the way the champs are assembled and how you can give yourself the best chance to take them down," Pelinka said. "It is certainly part of the equation. ... Earvin [Johnson] and I had a conversation and LeBron echoed this sentiment -- I think to try to play the Warriors at their own game is a trap. No one is going to beat them at their own game, so that is why we wanted to add these elements of defense and toughness and depth and try to look at areas where we will have an advantage."

When I first read that, I thought that Pelinka was nuts. But on reflection, I understand what he is saying. He isn’t saying that Lebron plus Rondo, Casey P., Stephenson, and McGee are going to take down the Warriors. He is saying that he wants to bolster the defensive spine and toughness of our existing team, rather than loading up on offense and trying to play the Warriors’ style. I am not sold on that particular group of players, but I think Pelinka and Magic have the right idea.

I agree and don't think its nuts at all. There is no way you can beat the warriors at their own game, you just can't assemble that kind of shooting talent because they have it all!

I feel like you can. Houston was close.

But I think the formula is 2 superstars + 3 and D + Interior Defender.

You're not beating that team without 2 superstars and a top defense.

you're not beating the warriors with 2 superstars and some 3 and D guys

the rockets only seemed to have a chance because IGGY was injured. lets not forget he was a Finals MVP. he's no slouch. They have 3 guys that can slow down your best 3 guys.

Iggy, draymond and klay can guard Kawhi, Lebron, they can help on these two guys. but what they can't do is stop a 3rd allstar, not solid role guy like eric gordon. but a real life 3rd allstar. You need two defenders to throw at bron to give him different looks. thats why its not truly 3 gsw defenders vs your 3 stars. you have bron so its 2 gsw defenders vs him and one gsw defender vs your other star player. you're not going to beat curry and durant with two other solid role guys. aint going to happen.

this is why you need at minimum 1 superstar and 2 all stars, or 2 superstars+1 all star. that's at minimum. and even with that, you still need a solid batch of clutch role players and a clutch/solid bench. you can't have that if you trade away all your youth that look like they could at worse become clutch role guys and at best become all stars/superstars.

You give me

LBJ+Zo(year 3)+Kuz (year 3)+Ingram(2019/2020 season)+Bradley beale, and the same vets we already have right now. and we're ready to role. that team could dethrone the warriors in a 7 game series.

Or if you give me LBJ+Kawhi+bradley beale+ a combination of 2 of the above young guys and some nice fillers. that team could dethrone the warriors.

or the 1 super + 2 all stars approach: LBJ + Beale + Jimmy Butler +Josh hart+and some nice vet fillers. it would be a close one but that team could dethrone the warriors.
70sdude
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 11:04 am    Post subject:

trablos wrote:
70sdude wrote:
petergr wrote:
Pelinka: Lakers designed to combat Warriors
http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/24070278/los-angeles-lakers-gm-rob-pelinka-built-team-differently-lebron-james

"If your goal is to win a championship, you've got to look at the way the champs are assembled and how you can give yourself the best chance to take them down," Pelinka said. "It is certainly part of the equation. ... Earvin [Johnson] and I had a conversation and LeBron echoed this sentiment -- I think to try to play the Warriors at their own game is a trap. No one is going to beat them at their own game, so that is why we wanted to add these elements of defense and toughness and depth and try to look at areas where we will have an advantage."

I think Magic Johnson is making a mistake in remembering how the Pistons took down his own Showtime Lakers, and from that extrapolates how the Lakers now can build a defense-first team to similarly take down the Warriors.

It won't work.

1. The rules about defensive contact have radically changed since 1989, such that a team radically slanted towards defense - one coupled with poor perimeter shooting - can't win the title today. Can't.

2. The error in his plan is found in a second poor interpretation of history and its transference of lessons to today. He's forgotten that the Lakers were incredibly reduced as an offensive power in Kareem's old age, such that a top defensive club could break down the Lakers. The Warriors' starters are in their prime, save for Iggy who is 34. The Lakers never won the trophy after '88 because Kareem got old and retired - first and foremost. Nothing like that has happened to the Warriors, and in facts, they're probably as strong today as in any of the four past seasons.

You just built an argument on a notion that doesn't exist. Ironic considering your username

It's thesis, not a notion, and it fits.
LAkers 4 Life
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 5:21 pm    Post subject:

If the team is trying to forge more of a defensive identity, then they'll need to become an elite rebounding team. They lost their best rebounder in Randle, so other players will need to step up. I don't see any double-double players in the frontcourt.
Judah
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 6:28 pm    Post subject:

LAkers 4 Life wrote:
If the team is trying to forge more of a defensive identity, then they'll need to become an elite rebounding team. They lost their best rebounder in Randle, so other players will need to step up. I don't see any double-double players in the frontcourt.

Randle didn't average a double-double last year. They don't have an elite, rebounding-machine type player, but I don't think they necessarily need one of those. They have a number of players who are triple-double threats: LeBron, Zo, Rondo, Lance Romance, BI. Hart is also a terrific rebounder. McGee has the size and athleticism to rebound well if he gets the minutes. Kuz has gotten a lot bigger and stronger this offseason, so he may rebound better next season too. I think their rebounding will be fine.

In today's game, where teams shoot a ton of threes, there's more long rebounds (long shot, long rebound) and more transition play as a result. The kind of bigs who dominate the boards like the old days aren't too frequent anymore. They won't be going up against bigs like DeAndre Jordan every night, so I'm not really concerned about their rebounding. I think they'll be fine with the committee effort.
trablos
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 7:03 pm    Post subject:

Judah wrote:
LAkers 4 Life wrote:

Randle didn't average a double-double last year. They don't have an elite, rebounding-machine type player, but I don't think they necessarily need one of those. They have a number of players who are triple-double threats: LeBron, Zo, Rondo, Lance Romance, BI. Hart is also a terrific rebounder. McGee has the size and athleticism to rebound well if he gets the minutes. Kuz has gotten a lot bigger and stronger this offseason, so he may rebound better next season too. I think their rebounding will be fine.

In today's game, where teams shoot a ton of threes, there's more long rebounds (long shot, long rebound) and more transition play as a result. The kind of bigs who dominate the boards like the old days aren't too frequent anymore. They won't be going up against bigs like DeAndre Jordan every night, so I'm not really concerned about their rebounding. I think they'll be fine with the committee effort.

This is what I'm excited about, as Lebron and Lonzo will be grabbing these in bunches and will start the break right away. We just can't be giving up too many offensive boards like we did last year.
LAkers 4 Life
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 8:17 pm    Post subject:

Judah wrote:
LAkers 4 Life wrote:

Randle was as close as it got to a double-double frontcourt player for the Lakers. And I agree that they don't need a dominant rebounder. Like I stated players will have to step it up in the rebounding department. All of them. Lakers need to forge an identity that the opponents are one and out on their offensive possessions. That was one of the keys to the cavs beating the warriors in the finals a few years ago. The Lakers as a team will need to rebound the ball better and I think they will.
RG73
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 8:24 pm    Post subject:

LAkers 4 Life wrote:

Where did the Lakers rank in rebounding last season? I don’t think rebounding is an issue.
fansincemagic
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 8:25 pm    Post subject:

Wanting a defensive identity is great, but they also added 64 min of 17 assists between James and Rondo. Consider those two with Ball and watch Ingram and Kuzma both hover around 20ppg. The improved play making will also lead to better shot selection and better transition defense by default. I hope they become known for their defense, but really the team's playmaking ability jumps out at me. This will not be your dad's stand around and watch Ko...err LeBron crew.
Judah
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 8:33 pm    Post subject:

RG73 wrote:
LAkers 4 Life wrote:

Where did the Lakers rank in rebounding last season? I don’t think rebounding is an issue.

2nd...lol. You're right. Rebounding wasn't an issue. Losing Randle will probably hurt, but overall I think they'll be okay.
Artesties
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2018 7:25 am    Post subject:

I only watched bits and pieces of the recent RP and Magic interviews and conferences. Did they ever clarify why they kept Zu instead of Bryant?
LAkers 4 Life
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2018 2:29 pm    Post subject:

Judah wrote:
RG73 wrote:
LAkers 4 Life wrote:

2nd...lol. You're right. Rebounding wasn't an issue. Losing Randle will probably hurt, but overall I think they'll be okay.

Very interesting. Surprised it was that high as I thought they were around the top 10-15. With the younger players putting in the work physically to get bigger and stronger, I agree with the assessment that the Lakers rebounding as a team will be fine. In fact, they might be even better. I expect their backcourt to be even stronger in their rebounding. They just need to keep it up and limit the number of second chance opportunities by their opponents.
Outspoken
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 6:51 pm    Post subject:

Please don't have Magic speak again. He was at Summer league telling our strategy in putting together our team, how he figured the way to putting together the team, what we look for in draft, our body fat method.... Magic was telling it all. Smh
justsomelakerfan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 6:53 pm    Post subject:

Outspoken wrote:
Please don't have Magic speak again. He was at Summer league telling our strategy in putting together our team, how he figured the way to putting together the team, what we look for in draft, our body fat method.... Magic was telling it all. Smh

Sorry folks I can't stand his interviews
Judah
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 6:59 pm    Post subject:

Did you guys not read the articles, especially the one Ramona put out, that explained their thought process in building the roster? There was literally nothing Magic said in that interview that he and Rob haven't already said. Literally, nothing. The only thing that worries me about his interview is that he said he's rooting for Chris Paul to succeed and that he was heartbroken that he couldn't play in Game 7 (paraphrasing). What he was saying was totally harmless, but he still mentioned CP3 by name. Technically, it warrants another fine. Hopefully it doesn't happen, but don't be surprised if it does. Sigh...
trablos
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 7:01 pm    Post subject:

Outspoken wrote:

Yeah, if he hadn't said any of that all our secrets would have been safe from the rest of the league.
noahp45
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 7:07 pm    Post subject:

I like what magic said maybe now the LG cry crew can stop crying about picking up rondo and Lance.
Judah
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 7:11 pm    Post subject:

noahp45 wrote:
I like what magic said maybe now the LG cry crew can stop crying about picking up rondo and Lance.

Yeah, I thought the interview was dope.
RusselDoeee01
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 7:20 pm    Post subject:

Anyone else notice magic not mention Lonzo... especially when talking about the fast break..
Outspoken
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 7:23 pm    Post subject:

Judah wrote:
noahp45 wrote:

Yeah, I thought the interview was dope.

It was dope looking at it from a Laker fan because he told you their strategy. Being objective, it wasn't dope because he is telling everybody outside of just Laker fans.
Judah
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 7:26 pm    Post subject:

RusselDoeee01 wrote:
Anyone else notice magic not mention Lonzo... especially when talking about the fast break..

No. The fact that he didn't mention Lonzo never even occurred to me until I read your post. And he wasn't talking about them fast breaking generally. He was talking about the free agents they acquired and how they fit the style. He didn't mention Kuz either. Should we make something of that too?
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 52, 53, 54 ... 172, 173, 174  Next
Page 53 of 174
Jump to: