OFFICIAL LONZO BALL THREAD
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 1105, 1106, 1107 ... 1686, 1687, 1688  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ChickenBeckerman
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 9:36 am    Post subject:

Quote:

Whether we like it or not, the circus and injuries are a concern...at least in public perception. Hopefully, not inside organization.

Agree about the injuries.

As far as circus, I would think all that has been addressed in private convo and all partys are on the same page and that it's very much not the big deal that the press makes it out to be.

Even that diss track, for anyone that has been following Lonzo, Kuz, Hart, Ingram and IT on social media it's not even a big thing as those guys are consistantly ragging on each other for laughs since early last season.
But for some reason now ESPN reports it as hostility between players. smh.

I don't think it's really that big a deal and is actually a great thing when team mates are that close and comfortable with one another off the court and in public.
ChickenBeckerman
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 9:39 am    Post subject:

RG73 wrote:
ChickenBeckerman wrote:
What else should you have him do?

never spit into a mic again unless he's addressing the crowd at Staples after bringing the trophy home.

You know you wanna hear about those parade lyrics. and if they win the title I'll get my own kids to make some BBB sneakers.
BigGameHames
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 9:45 am    Post subject:

LakerSD wrote:
ChickenBeckerman wrote:
LakerSD wrote:
What is made public does not really matter.

For Lonzo’s sake (and basketball career), he needs to show privately to the FO that the circus and injuries surrounding him are not an issue because the Lakers FO has made it clear that this is a competition and anyone is expendable.

If I’m Lonzo, I would be ultra focused if I want to stay in LA because the FO is no longer (bleep) around. The ball is in his court tbh...

You mean like having an active daily/weekly in person communication with Magic and Palinka at the onset of the off-season, outlining his and the teams goals and having good conversations about it? Actively approaching Magic to have regular study sessions going over hours & hours of film both current and passed, studying ever facet of the game while he rehabs?

https://lonzowire.usatoday.com/2018/06/22/lonzo-ball-magic-johnson-rob-pelinka-lakers-nba-film/
Quote:

“I’ve really seen Lonzo emerge as a young man this offseason,” the GM said. “He’ll come up to the office and come in and sit down and have a direct conversation about his goals, what he wants to do, the trainers he wants to work with, the things in his game he wants to work on.”-Rob Pelinka

His body frame has shown noticable physical improvements btw.

What else should you have him do?

Relax, I’m not bashing him

That’s all good and he just needs to keep it going. My point is so long as privately it’s all good with Magic and Pelinka, he will be fine.

Whether we like it or not, the circus and injuries are a concern...at least in public perception. Hopefully, not inside organization.

The “circus” is irrelevant to the franchise. They’ve said they don’t care what he says and Lonzo has said that as well.

The injuries are very concerning and are the only thing that could stop Lonzo from being an all-star IMO. Hopefully he’s taking the steps to build his body and be more durable. The insta post looked like a good start but he’s still got a ways to go.
The Juggernaut
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 9:48 am    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
The Juggernaut wrote:
It makes no sense that Pelinka said the team can't talk about his knee injury. Why the hell not? Sounds very suspicious

HIPPA rules

Wrong. Ramona said Lonzo's camp hasn't told the Lakers not to talk about it.
Lonzo'sBalls
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 9:49 am    Post subject:

The Juggernaut wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
The Juggernaut wrote:
It makes no sense that Pelinka said the team can't talk about his knee injury. Why the hell not? Sounds very suspicious

HIPPA rules

That is not how HIPPA works.
LakerSD
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 9:54 am    Post subject:

BigGameHames wrote:

The “circus” is irrelevant to the franchise. They’ve said they don’t care what he says and Lonzo has said that as well.

The injuries are very concerning and are the only thing that could stop Lonzo from being an all-star IMO. Hopefully he’s taking the steps to build his body and be more durable. The insta post looked like a good start but he’s still got a ways to go.

If he was a top 10 player, I agree. He isn’t yet, so imo it is relevant but that’s fine we can disagree.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 10:10 am    Post subject:

BigGameHames wrote:

of course that is what they said....but come on, you know they care very much when it is negative.
The Juggernaut
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 10:14 am    Post subject:

Lonzo'sBalls wrote:
The Juggernaut wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
The Juggernaut wrote:

HIPPA rules

That is not how HIPPA works.

So the team can talk about other players injuries on the team except Lonzo?? Are HIPAA laws only for Lonzo?
The Juggernaut
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 10:24 am    Post subject:

Quote:
HIPAA exceptions 45 CFR 164.512 (b)(1)(v): disclosure is permitted by an employer about an individual for workplace-related medical surveillance.

For professional teams, health and injury information is considered criteria for employment, because of the nature of the job. Therefore, an injured athlete would not be able legally to withhold injury information from a team to whom he or she is contractually obliged. This also means that health and treatment information could be shared with coaches and team owners (Magee, J. T., Almekinders, L. C., & Taft, T. N. (2003). HIPAA and the team physician. Sports Medicine Update, March–April, 2003, 4¬–7).

NBA players waive their HIPAA rights in the collective bargaining agreement

http://scholarship.law.marquette.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=1634&context=sportslaw
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 10:24 am    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
BigGameHames wrote:

of course that is what they said....but come on, you know they care very much when it is negative.

If it's not bothering Lonzo, then it's not a problem.
governator
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 10:26 am    Post subject:

The Juggernaut wrote:
Quote:
HIPAA exceptions 45 CFR 164.512 (b)(1)(v): disclosure is permitted by an employer about an individual for workplace-related medical surveillance.

For professional teams, health and injury information is considered criteria for employment, because of the nature of the job. Therefore, an injured athlete would not be able legally to withhold injury information from a team to whom he or she is contractually obliged. This also means that health and treatment information could be shared with coaches and team owners (Magee, J. T., Almekinders, L. C., & Taft, T. N. (2003). HIPAA and the team physician. Sports Medicine Update, March–April, 2003, 4¬–7).

http://scholarship.law.marquette.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=1634&context=sportslaw

Can the info be legally shared outside coaches/team owners... aka fans without the athlete's consent? or is it presumed consent already (fans is part of team)?
Staccatos
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 10:55 am    Post subject:

Lonzo'sBalls wrote:
ItsJustMagic wrote:

I guess that Lebron is not 100% invested in basketball either. He has so many business interests and endorsements that take up valuable time. Imagine how much better he would be if he just focused on basketball 24hrs a day.

In fact, he would be even better than he is. That being said, Lebron has many more natural gifts than Lonzo and frankly doesn't need to have the same focus as other, less athletically gifted players, do.

LeBron knows when to focus. He makes it an open declaration when he ramps up for the playoffs to turn off everything else. Disconnects from social media and the like to focus solely on basketball.
gooner
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 10:56 am    Post subject:

governator wrote:
The Juggernaut wrote:
Quote:

Can the info be legally shared outside coaches/team owners... aka fans without the athlete's consent? or is it presumed consent already (fans is part of team)?

I'm no expert but I do deal with a lot of legal stuff. The paragraph above sets aside HIPPA with regard to the team the athlete is contracted with. It does not negate HIPPA privacy rights in any other relationship.
CervantesRises
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 10:59 am    Post subject:

gooner wrote:
governator wrote:
The Juggernaut wrote:
Quote:

I'm no expert but I do deal with a lot of legal stuff. The paragraph above sets aside HIPPA with regard to the team the athlete is contracted with. It does not negate HIPPA privacy rights in any other relationship.

Correct...and NBA teams are under no policy directives to disclose player's health status during the offseason. Rob was just side stepping that question so he could redirect the media back to the respective camps.

The Lakers never disclose contract terms publicly or player's injuries publicly unless it's during the regular season. Why this is an issue on here is great to see...it means we literally have nothing else to complain about.

#BannersOverBillboards
ItsJustMagic
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 11:02 am    Post subject:

Staccatos wrote:
Lonzo'sBalls wrote:
ItsJustMagic wrote:

I guess that Lebron is not 100% invested in basketball either. He has so many business interests and endorsements that take up valuable time. Imagine how much better he would be if he just focused on basketball 24hrs a day.

In fact, he would be even better than he is. That being said, Lebron has many more natural gifts than Lonzo and frankly doesn't need to have the same focus as other, less athletically gifted players, do.

LeBron knows when to focus. He makes it an open declaration when he ramps up for the playoffs to turn off everything else. Disconnects from social media and the like to focus solely on basketball.

I agree. My original comment was sarcastic. I believe Lonzo can do both too. I believe having outside interests is an important aspect for work\life balance to prevent burnout. I think Lonzo deserves the benefit of the doubt until proven otherwise.
BigGameHames
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 11:32 am    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
BigGameHames wrote:

No they don’t.
P.K.
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 11:36 am    Post subject:

Personally, I'm more concerned with the fact that the Lakers season ended 3 months ago.
If Lonzo needed surgery, they should have done it already.
3 months and they're STILL deciding if he needs surgery or not? A meniscus surgery is somewhat minor, but it can still take 6-10 weeks to fully recover from. The more time wasted, the less time he has to recover and start rebuilding strength.

The fact that this is still ongoing seems to point to more FUBAR's from Lavar
NPZ's Magic Johnson mix: www.youtube.com/watch?v=q8Qbo0WqvOI
christopherorman
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 12:15 pm    Post subject:

In response to Ball not having surgery yet (to the extent he needs it), I'll only worry if Ball comes out like Shaq did prior to the 2002 season and say, "I got hurt on company time, so I'll rehab on company time."
LakesGnrLake
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 12:20 pm    Post subject:

the thing about meniscus problems is the only time you have surgery is if you plan on cleaning it out or completely replacing it. So most likely this is something that needs rest, but if he is delaying a surgery shame on him.
ChickenBeckerman
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 12:28 pm    Post subject:

gooner wrote:
governator wrote:
The Juggernaut wrote:
Quote:

http://3c90sm37lsaecdwtr32v9qof-wpengine.netdna-ssl.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/02/2017-NBA-NBPA-Collective-Bargaining-Agreement.pdf

What about section 4b of the CBA? Does this mean if teams request disclosure of med/health info they can/will get it?

22.4 Disclosure of Medical or Health Information.

B. Should it be requested in connection with the contemplated assignment of a player’s Uniform Player Contract to one or more NBA Teams, a Team’s physician may furnish all relevant medical information relating to the player to (i) the physicians and General Manager, coaches, and trainers of such other Team or Teams, and (ii) any entity from which any such other Team seeks to procure, or has procured, an insurance policy covering such player’s life or any disability, injury, illness or other health condition such player may suffer or sustain.
BlackStarMamba
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 12:34 pm    Post subject:

ChickenBeckerman wrote:
gooner wrote:
governator wrote:
The Juggernaut wrote:
Quote:

http://3c90sm37lsaecdwtr32v9qof-wpengine.netdna-ssl.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/02/2017-NBA-NBPA-Collective-Bargaining-Agreement.pdf

What about section 4b of the CBA? Does this mean if teams request disclosure of med/health info they can/will get it?

22.4 Disclosure of Medical or Health Information.

B. Should it be requested in connection with the contemplated assignment of a player’s Uniform Player Contract to one or more NBA Teams, a Team’s physician may furnish all relevant medical information relating to the player to (i) the physicians and General Manager, coaches, and trainers of such other Team or Teams, and (ii) any entity from which any such other Team seeks to procure, or has procured, an insurance policy covering such player’s life or any disability, injury, illness or other health condition such player may suffer or sustain.

yes and the most important part of the collective bargaining is this.

Key word MAKE PUBLIC.

(d) Subject to Section 4(e) below, each Team may make public medical
information relating to the players in its employ, provided that such
information relates solely to the reasons why any such player has not been
or is not rendering services as a player.
BlackStarMamba
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 12:41 pm    Post subject:

You see Pelinka has a law background and is trying to use HIPPA as excuse, because no one will argue it..lol. Im sure he used HIPPA with Ramona and she ran with it..lol. I expect more of that during the year

But I have never seen any injury information on ANY player never been spoken about or claims that we cannot talk about it. Very strange

even Pop never said "can't talk about Kawhi's injury"

When Kobe busted his Achilles, the report was out the next day and that was during the summer

Wagner got hurt in summer league and we already had an injury report and plans.

Josh hard had a metacarpal fracture this year and it was released

Channing Frye had appendicitis! and we had reports,

look at all these injury reports during the year from the Lakers
https://www.nba.com/lakers/archive/Injury%20Report

lakers just dont want to talk about it. Rather than THEY CANT talk about it
epak
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 1:00 pm    Post subject:

BlackStarMamba wrote:
You see Pelinka has a law background and is trying to use HIPPA as excuse, because no one will argue it..lol. Im sure he used HIPPA with Ramona and she ran with it..lol. I expect more of that during the year

But I have never seen any injury information on ANY player never been spoken about or claims that we cannot talk about it. Very strange

even Pop never said "can't talk about Kawhi's injury"

When Kobe busted his Achilles, the report was out the next day and that was during the summer

Wagner got hurt in summer league and we already had an injury report and plans.

Josh hard had a metacarpal fracture this year and it was released

Channing Frye had appendicitis! and we had reports,

look at all these injury reports during the year from the Lakers
https://www.nba.com/lakers/archive/Injury%20Report

lakers just dont want to talk about it. Rather than THEY CANT talk about it

I read or heard somewhere that in-season issues were different from off-season issues. I can't find the link though, and not sure what the real NBA rules are on that. Would be nice to know what the rules are for which time frame.

I'm still waiting for the conspiracy theory leak that the Lakers actually leaked the injury/surgery rumors to keep teams from asking for Lonzo
shortodom
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 2:11 pm    Post subject:

Just a lil update if you wanna call it that Zo posted in his instagram story of him bench pressing 250 3x. Doesn't seem like a big thing but last year it seemed like he could barley do pushups.
Lol, so dude's definitely putting in the work in the gym at least
epak
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 2:30 pm    Post subject:

shortodom wrote:
Just a lil update if you wanna call it that Zo posted in his instagram story of him bench pressing 250 3x. Doesn't seem like a big thing but last year it seemed like he could barley do pushups.
Lol, so dude's definitely putting in the work in the gym at least

Cool instagram story, bro.
I love it. He's gonna get that at-the-rim % up with the new strength.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 1105, 1106, 1107 ... 1686, 1687, 1688  Next
Page 1106 of 1688
Jump to: