THE Political Thread (ALL Political Discussion Here - See Rules, P. 1)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 983, 984, 985 ... 3661, 3662, 3663  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Omar Little

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 9:33 am    Post subject:

Surfitall wrote:
ChefLinda wrote:
The Democrats do have a message if anyone has been paying attention:

Democrats want to save and expand affordable healthcare because Trump and the GOP keep chipping away at it. They are currently trying to gut pre-existing conditions.

Democrats want to protect and expand voting rights because GOP has used gerrymandering, restrictive voter I.D. laws and purging of voter roles to restrict the votes of Democrats.

Democrats want to protect a woman's right to choose her own healthcare decisions - whether that's abortion or access to contraceptives. The GOP is trying to restrict or do away with both.

Democrats want to preserve and expand the rights of the LGTBQ community. GOP is currently trying to curtail those rights state by state.

Democrats believe Climate Change is real and needs to be addressed; the Republicans either don't believe in Climate Change or don't care if the planet burns.

Democrats believe the EPA should protect the public's drinking water, breathable air that our natural parks should be protects. The GOP believes corporations should have the right to dump toxic chemicals as they wish because they put profits over people.

Democrats believe the government should try to craft policies that help the largest number of our citizens as possible. Republicans don't believe in government except to protect the 1%, protect corporations and to enrich themselves through shameless corruption.

Democrats believe that after working an entire lifetime, the elderly should be protected from have to worry about their healthcare through the Medicare program, and that Social Security should be preserved so that the elderly don't have to life in poverty.

Democrats believe in affordable education for all. The Republicans want to privatize public education and make it affordable only for the well off. In every state when GOP gets a hold of the budget, the first thing they cut is public education to give tax breaks to the wealthy.

This is all off the top of my head. If people think the Democrats don't stand for anything -- read the above and now you have no excuse for asking that question again.

If you follow the Twitter feeds of any prominent Democrats, they talk about this stuff every single day.

All true, but are any of these policies new? Will any of these policies energize enough voters to get them off their asses to vote? This sounds like the same old DNC platform that has existed for the last...how many years??? which has lead the Republicans to control every branch of government.

If what is happening every day out there doesn't motivate you, it's time to assume you're (not you personally, the general you) not reachable and stop wasting the time, similar to realizing that you aren't getting the white swing voter who Trump riled up with his Xenophobia back by talking jobs or health care.
Heartburn
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 10:18 am    Post subject:

Watching the Strzok hearing: This is painful in the sense that these Members of Congress are painfully stupid.
governator
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 10:19 am    Post subject:

Heartburn wrote:
Watching the Strzok hearing: This is painful in the sense that these Members of Congress are painfully stupid.

Not stupid, it's all posturing. None of them care about the answer
Heartburn
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 10:22 am    Post subject:

governator wrote:
Heartburn wrote:

The fact that they have trouble with the English language to the degree that they cannot pose a coherent question forces me to conclude that they are painfully stupid.
Wilt
LG Contributor
LG Contributor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 10:53 am    Post subject:

There is a lot of posturing, yes, but that Goodlatte guy is a (bleep) moron.
ChefLinda

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 11:26 am    Post subject:

Wilt wrote:
There is a lot of posturing, yes, but that Goodlatte guy is a (bleep) moron.

They are truly the party of Trump.
Hector the Pup
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 12:16 pm    Post subject:

Stzrok absolutely destroyed Gowdy. I'd say that he should be embarrassed at how badly he was torn to shreds, but that would require a conscience.
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 2:41 pm    Post subject:

A brief recap of today's proceedings: https://twitter.com/nowthisnews/status/1017503361615052800
Omar Little

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 2:51 pm    Post subject:

Hector the Pup wrote:
Stzrok absolutely destroyed Gowdy. I'd say that he should be embarrassed at how badly he was torn to shreds, but that would require a conscience.

Worse, the GOP base is doubtlessly being told right now how Stzrok was shown for the biased deep state traitor that he is, and they will believe it.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 2:52 pm    Post subject:

governator wrote:
Heartburn wrote:

It's both. They are stupid and ignorant AND they are complete sellouts to the bully and his Russian master.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 2:54 pm    Post subject:

[quote="Surfitall"][quote="DaMuleRules"][quote="Surfitall"][quote="jodeke"]
Omar Little wrote:
jodeke wrote:

Quote:
It’s not holding people hostage, it’s not being vindictive, they are just done voting for candidates that can’t authentically say they want to change things.

It absolutely is holding people hostage. It's extortion at its very definition. And quite frankly, it's ironic to see someone who won't acknowledge that try to lecture others about reason.

How consistent are your beliefs on extortion and hostage taking? This really seems like a peculiar position you are taking.

Do you believe that workers have the right to go on strike if they feel they are being treated unfairly? If so, would you classify what they are doing as extortion? Would you say that those workers are holding their company or their fellow employees hostage?

When Rosa Parks refused to go to the back of the bus, was she holding the bus driver and the other passengers hostage? Was she extorting them with her inaction?

None of those have to do with what we are talking about.

In regards to workers striking, I'm in a union called IATSE and in 9 days in all likelihood my Local and several and several others will be going on strike.

The issues we are striking for (and the other "analogies" you mention) have no parallels to holding votes hostage when faced with an alternative that will certainly ruin people's lives and freedoms for generations to come.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Man, do those lyrics resonate right now
Omar Little

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 2:56 pm    Post subject:

One of the things I've learned about humans is that they will often not tell you their real thoughts, but if you know what to watch for, their actions give them away. This congress is not only scared of the president and their base, and not only interested in getting what they can out of the deal, but they are also admitting with these actions that they know Trump is dirty. You don't need to gaslight the media and the voters by attacking the credibility of investigators if there's no there there. It's why neither Obama nor Hillary nor pretty much anyone else had to try to undermine the FBI when they were investigating Hillary's emails. Or Benghazi, or any of a number of other things.

Sooner or later everyone plays the hand they have, not the one they want you to think they have. And the GOP congress is playing a guilty hand.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 3:06 pm    Post subject:

Surfitall wrote:
ChefLinda wrote:
And by the way, the Democratic platform after Clinton's nomination. was the most progressive Democratic platform in the history of the party and they incorporated most of Bernie Sanders concerns.

True, but here is a short article in Forbes from a Bernie voter who didn’t vote for Hillary. https://www.forbes.com/sites/realspin/2016/11/11/why-bernie-sanders-voters-like-me-stayed-home/#1fc635b3539f

Here is a quote that’s relevant: “Change. Hillary Clinton was not going to change anything. She told the American people she would, and they just took that as another lie. No one had any confidence in her because she was part of the problem they wanted to get rid of.”

I think I would add that these people thought they were voting for change when they voted for Obama too. The disappointment in his ability to drive meaningful change left them distrustful of establishment promises.

Great quote that sums up their stupidity perfectly. They got change alright . . . horribly destructive change that will end freedoms and prosperity for all and for quite some time. That quote perfectly sums up how asininely foolish, shortsighted and self-destructive the whole "I didn't vote for Hilary because she wasn't perfect to me".

Dumbasses like him or her sure showed us! Just smashing themselves in the face with a hammer just so they could say, "LOOK AT ME! I can do whatever I want!".

Thanks for posting such a perfect piece of evidence for how foolish and destructive such non-voters were.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Surfitall
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 3:18 pm    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
Surfitall wrote:
ChefLinda wrote:

Democrats want to save and expand affordable healthcare because Trump and the GOP keep chipping away at it. They are currently trying to gut pre-existing conditions.

Democrats want to protect and expand voting rights because GOP has used gerrymandering, restrictive voter I.D. laws and purging of voter roles to restrict the votes of Democrats.

Democrats want to protect a woman's right to choose her own healthcare decisions - whether that's abortion or access to contraceptives. The GOP is trying to restrict or do away with both.

Democrats want to preserve and expand the rights of the LGTBQ community. GOP is currently trying to curtail those rights state by state.

Democrats believe Climate Change is real and needs to be addressed; the Republicans either don't believe in Climate Change or don't care if the planet burns.

Democrats believe the EPA should protect the public's drinking water, breathable air that our natural parks should be protects. The GOP believes corporations should have the right to dump toxic chemicals as they wish because they put profits over people.

Democrats believe the government should try to craft policies that help the largest number of our citizens as possible. Republicans don't believe in government except to protect the 1%, protect corporations and to enrich themselves through shameless corruption.

Democrats believe that after working an entire lifetime, the elderly should be protected from have to worry about their healthcare through the Medicare program, and that Social Security should be preserved so that the elderly don't have to life in poverty.

Democrats believe in affordable education for all. The Republicans want to privatize public education and make it affordable only for the well off. In every state when GOP gets a hold of the budget, the first thing they cut is public education to give tax breaks to the wealthy.

This is all off the top of my head. If people think the Democrats don't stand for anything -- read the above and now you have no excuse for asking that question again.

If you follow the Twitter feeds of any prominent Democrats, they talk about this stuff every single day.

All true, but are any of these policies new? Will any of these policies energize enough voters to get them off their asses to vote? This sounds like the same old DNC platform that has existed for the last...how many years??? which has lead the Republicans to control every branch of government.

If what is happening every day out there doesn't motivate you, it's time to assume you're (not you personally, the general you) not reachable and stop wasting the time, similar to realizing that you aren't getting the white swing voter who Trump riled up with his Xenophobia back by talking jobs or health care.

Thanks for the qualifier. I appreciate it. I almost was going to delete this after I wrote it because we’ve been back and forth on this. I thought, I’ll say this, and she’ll say that, and then I’ll say this.... (Instead I fell asleep right after writing it.)
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 3:25 pm    Post subject:

ChefLinda wrote:
In the last several elections, Democrats have outvoted Republicans. The reason why that hasn't been reflected in the outcome is: Gerrymandering.

In 2010, the census year, GOP ran candidates at every level to take control of states political machinery. This was coordinated and financed by groups like the Heritage Foundation and Koch Brothers. They planned it and executed in order to legally steal elections. They started gerrymandering districts so that even if the Democrats won the popular vote they would lose the election.

With even more state power and SCOTUS gutting the voting rights act, the GOP then proceeded to use census data to come up with voter restriction and voter ID laws that specifically targeted decreasing the black vote, young vote and of course the Democratic vote. They also started purging voter rolls so that if someone didn't vote in the mid-term, they were de-activated for the presidential year. They did this with no notice to the individual voters. Voters showed up to vote and were turned away because they weren't registered (when they thought they were) or because they didn't have the new I.D.

All of this depressed Democratic turnout.

Is that the fault of the Democratic party? Is it the fault of the Republican party? Is it the fault the individual voter for not knowing their status and new I.D. laws?

Here's what happened:

Clinton won the popular vote by almost 3 million more votes and got more votes than any white male in the history of presidential elections. Only Obama got more votes.

Democrats won the popular vote for Congress, but lost seats because of gerrymandering.

The only way to right the ship is to elect as many Democrats as possible at every level so that when the 2020 census comes and it's time for redidstricting again, the Democrats can fix the rigged gerrymandered district to level the playing field.

Elect Democrats so they can enact legislation to guarantee automatic voter registration at age 18 with no need to re-register.

Elect Democrats so then can fix the voting rights act and prevent states from enacting laws that cheat on behalf of either party.

But here's what won't work: trashing and complaining about the Democratic party when it's the Republican party that is primarily responsible for the rigged situation we now find ourselves in.

If you want things to change, it starts by electing Democrats at every level.

No good change will come about by sitting at home. Period. Call it vote shaming, call it whatever you want. It's the truth.

Nobody has to vote shame anyone who stayed at home last election because they didn't like Hilary. The shame of such a destructive act comes all on its own.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

ChefLinda

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 3:43 pm    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
One of the things I've learned about humans is that they will often not tell you their real thoughts, but if you know what to watch for, their actions give them away. This congress is not only scared of the president and their base, and not only interested in getting what they can out of the deal, but they are also admitting with these actions that they know Trump is dirty. You don't need to gaslight the media and the voters by attacking the credibility of investigators if there's no there there. It's why neither Obama nor Hillary nor pretty much anyone else had to try to undermine the FBI when they were investigating Hillary's emails. Or Benghazi, or any of a number of other things.

Sooner or later everyone plays the hand they have, not the one they want you to think they have. And the GOP congress is playing a guilty hand.

And it's why Trump attacks the Mueller investigation and cries "Witch Hunt" and "No Collusion" multiple times a day. Because he's guilty and he knows his only chance to invalidate the coming evidence in the minds of his cult is to re-program their brains now by repeating the above propaganda. And the rest of the GOP plays along. To paraphrase John Dean, the GOP is a cancer on the nation.
ContagiousInspiration
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 4:14 pm    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
Hector the Pup wrote:

Worse, the GOP base is doubtlessly being told right now how Stzrok was shown for the biased deep state traitor that he is, and they will believe it.

Exactly how I feel..
So is it
Russia
Racists
The 1%
Religious Right
Trumpsters
NRA nutjobs
Conspiracy theorists

^^^ They are all being nurtured and fed.. hard to change their minds..or whatever is in between their ears

How does America have so many narrow sighted selfish angry bigoted racist miscreants

We really need to start now with children Clarifying what a Patriot is..
Quote:
A patriot must always be ready to defend his country against his government. Edward Abbey

Has America lost its' Heart? No more beacon of freedom blah blah et al?
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 4:19 pm    Post subject:

ChefLinda wrote:
Omar Little wrote:

And it's why Trump attacks the Mueller investigation and cries "Witch Hunt" and "No Collusion" multiple times a day. Because he's guilty and he knows his only chance to invalidate the coming evidence in the minds of his cult is to re-program their brains now by repeating the above propaganda. And the rest of the GOP plays along. To paraphrase John Dean, the GOP is a cancer on the nation.

Yeah, but Hilary is just as bad . . . and her emails . . . OH her emails . . . BENGHAZI! . . . pizza sex slaves!
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

SweetP
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 5:06 pm    Post subject:

Heartburn wrote:
governator wrote:
Heartburn wrote:

The fact that they have trouble with the English language to the degree that they cannot pose a coherent question forces me to conclude that they are painfully stupid.

Yeah, I haven't had the pleasure of watching much CSPAN but while some members of congress come across as intelligent, articulate and educated there are a whole lot of not so bright ones. Especially in the House it appears.
slavavov
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 6:00 pm    Post subject:

ChefLinda wrote:
Surfitall wrote:
ChefLinda wrote:

I can understand if none of these issues are "your issues" that you might dismiss them as same old same old.

But if you are a young woman and a bunch of old white men are about to take away your access to abortion? That's pretty motivating.

If you are an older person (who is not a Fox News junkie cult member) you are pretty scared right now that you might not have Medicare and Social Security.

If you are one of the hundred million people with a pre-existing condition who might not be able to afford health insurance, I'd say that's pretty damn scary and motivating.

The Parkland kids saw their friends and teachers murdered and are registering tens of thousands of other young people who don't want to be murdered at school. Sounds like motivation to me.

LGTBQ people could have their marriage rights repealed or be refused adoption (like in Texas). You don't think that's motivating?

And if you are a browned skinned person, whether Latino or Muslim, you don't think they are pretty scared right now that Trump/GOP is coming for them next?

Just because no one is screaming "Income inequality! Millionaires and billionaires! Free education, free healthcare!" doesn't mean people aren't motivated. And those issues are important too. Democrats in congressional races tend to focus on the issues important to their local constituents. The Democratic Party doesn't have Fox News and the Koch brothers to issue a single talking point for all politicians to go out and parrot and lie about.

Telling the truth with nuance is harder and more boring than parroting a simplistic talking point. And the only way around that is for voters to participate by educating themselves first, then asking the relevant questions of the candidates. And NOT FALLING FOR WIKILEAKS/RUSSIAN/RIGHT WING PROPAGANDA BY REDUCING ALL OF A CANDIDATE'S history, experience, knowledge and policies into the phrase "corporate shill" in order to dismiss all that is good about their actual policies, especially versus Trump/GOP policies.

That may all be true, but here's the problem with that kind of thinking:

You and I and everyone else knows how important swing voters are. In 2016 the swing voters were working class Caucasians in places like Michigan, Pennsylvania and Ohio who are not affected by anything the Democrats' platform talks about (except the environment). Talking about abortion rights, immigration, LGBTQ people, injustice towards black and brown people or free colleges and universities won't motivate or interest them. Maybe single payer health care will, but too many of these people have been conditioned to have a reflexive response to anything that sounds like "socialism".

The other problem is that even though the Democratic party's platform is the most progressive it's ever been, the party is still split. There are still too many Democrats who sound progressive but are actually centrist. As much as I liked Obama, he fit that description to a certain extent.
ChefLinda

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 6:53 pm    Post subject:

With regard to Wisconsin: Wisconsin’s Voter-ID Law Suppressed 200,000 Votes in 2016 (Trump Won by 22,748)

Sadly, the "white working class" chose to side with racist/bigot/sexist candidate instead of supporting their fellow Democrats. Clinton won the working class vote, just not the white working class vote.

I'd rather invest in registering those 200,000 people than chase 20,000 swing voters who are uncomfortable with racial issues, feminist issues and LGTBQ issues. Because those issues are front and center in our fight to protect one another given the current all out attack by Trump and GOP to harm those groups and roll back their rights. If that turns those white swing voters off, that's on them because the rest of us are going to fight for what's right and we're aren't going to keep quiet about it.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 7:29 pm    Post subject:

ChefLinda wrote:
With regard to Wisconsin: Wisconsin’s Voter-ID Law Suppressed 200,000 Votes in 2016 (Trump Won by 22,748)

Sadly, the "white working class" chose to side with racist/bigot/sexist candidate instead of supporting their fellow Democrats. Clinton won the working class vote, just not the white working class vote.

I'd rather invest in registering those 200,000 people than chase 20,000 swing voters who are uncomfortable with racial issues, feminist issues and LGTBQ issues. Because those issues are front and center in our fight to protect one another given the current all out attack by Trump and GOP to harm those groups and roll back their rights. If that turns those white swing voters off, that's on them because the rest of us are going to fight for what's right and we're aren't going to keep quiet about it.

Sums it up well. There's all this talk about how Hilary and DNC alienated voters. In an election where her opponent was Donald Trump and all the vile things he espouses and represents, if Hilary was what alienated them, then that is a pathetic reflection of their lack of moral fiber and social conscience. It is not an indictment of Hilary nor of the DNC. The fault of their action in regards to choosing not to vote lies solely at their feet and no one else's.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

slavavov
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 9:25 pm    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
ChefLinda wrote:

Sums it up well. There's all this talk about how Hilary and DNC alienated voters. In an election where her opponent was Donald Trump and all the vile things he espouses and represents, if Hilary was what alienated them, then that is a pathetic reflection of their lack of moral fiber and social conscience. It is not an indictment of Hilary nor of the DNC. The fault of their action in regards to choosing not to vote lies solely at their feet and no one else's.

With all due respect to both of you, I disagree. Some of these swing voters may lack moral fiber, but the Dems can still get some of their votes. Commentators talked about how many people in the rust belt voted for Obama in 08 and 12 but voted for Trump in 16. I realize that social justice issues for minorities are important, but it seems like their focus on that turned off some swing voters.

The Dems need to focus a good chunk of their message on helping working class people of all races. I also think they should frame things like free public colleges and universities, single payer health care, etc. as "family values" issues. Shouldn't be too hard to do.
fiendishoc
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2018 5:15 am    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
Surfitall wrote:
ChefLinda wrote:

With the media still trying to treat everything as business as usual these days, and one side getting further and further detached from reality, I've lost almost all faith in any sort of change of messaging strategy.

It's going to come down to mobilization, and to get that you have to keep hammering at the disgraceful behavior of Trump, his appointees, and his enablers to people who can still distinguish truth from fiction.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2018 7:13 am    Post subject:

Have to beat the GET OUT AND VOTE DRUM LINK

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 983, 984, 985 ... 3661, 3662, 3663  Next
Page 984 of 3663
Jump to: