Official Goodbye LUKE WALTON Thread (Luke/Lakers Part Ways, p. 792, Signs Deal with Kings p. 809)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 549, 550, 551 ... 816, 817, 818  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Fracture
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 3:28 pm    Post subject:

Luke? I'm looking forward to see who Lebron picks for his starting lineup tbh
greenfrog
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 3:31 pm    Post subject:

Fracture wrote:

lakersfever714
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 3:42 pm    Post subject:

Play the guys that give you the best chance to win. I know it's cliche but it's that simple. It's Luke's job so it's his decision. Anyone with a different opinion can take a seat.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 3:45 pm    Post subject:

Fracture wrote:

This is it. Luke became coach in name only the second Lebron was inked.

Even less so with Rondo on the roster.

If we get off to a good start I think all will be well in Lakerland. But if it starts out rough we have a potential powder keg on our hands ego wise
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
SuperboyReformed
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 6:11 pm    Post subject:

the only thing that is going to break this team is missing free throws and bricking threes.
Laker4lifer4real
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 7:22 pm    Post subject:

Luke waited way to long to start Kuz last year. Randle’s minutes were a mess. Lonzo could never get his rhythm minutes wise or end games . Lopez would finish some games and not others. Hart played better than KCP but didn’t get minutes. Luke showed his inexperience last year for sure.
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 7:27 pm    Post subject:

SuperboyReformed wrote:
the only thing that is going to break this team is missing free throws and bricking threes.
Judah
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 8:56 pm    Post subject:

defense wrote:
Yea, Luke has to earn his stripes now.

"Lebrawn have a seat, we needed you fresh for the playoffs"

"Rondo have a seat we need Lonzo to gain experience"

"Magic have a seat.. I'm the coach"

We shall see if he can handle it.

Luke is fine under pressure.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 9:31 pm    Post subject:

Judah wrote:
defense wrote:
Yea, Luke has to earn his stripes now.

"Lebrawn have a seat, we needed you fresh for the playoffs"

"Rondo have a seat we need Lonzo to gain experience"

"Magic have a seat.. I'm the coach"

We shall see if he can handle it.

Luke is fine under pressure.

If I recall, LeBron liked that video when it was posted to House of Highlights or whoever it was posted on IG
epak
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 5:32 pm    Post subject:

LakerSD wrote:
Quote:
Btw, LeBron did more than watch the Lakers summer league team in Vegas on Sunday. He met with Lakers coach Luke Walton, who said, “he’s about the team. He’s about doing things the right way and he’s about winning. I can work with those qualities.”

https://twitter.com/ramonashelburne/status/1019016776426778625?s=21
kwase
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 6:05 pm    Post subject:

Bye Luke, it was nice having you around but no way you make it to the end of the season with the coach killer.
Judah
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 8:17 pm    Post subject:

kwase wrote:
Bye Luke, it was nice having you around but no way you make it to the end of the season with the coach killer.

Umm...what in the article provoked you to say this? Is the fact that LeBron made the trip to Vegas to meet Luke in person a bad sign? If so, why?
deal
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 4:20 am    Post subject:

Judah wrote:
kwase wrote:

Umm...what in the article provoked you to say this? Is the fact that LeBron made the trip to Vegas to meet Luke in person a bad sign? If so, why?

Luke is the coach, there is no change in the atmosphere. Luke haters always out to enjoy him het fired.

Lakers need desperately to stop the coach swap. Phil? half
court O? Really ? that's not where the NBA is today, LOL...
lakerican
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 4:48 am    Post subject:

He, Lebron comes alone and sign a 4 year deal. Yeah, that screams change. So many young naive people here. Lebron comes here to enjoy. It is like taking a Malibu wave.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 7:34 am    Post subject:

Luke is probably the perfect coach for LeBron... ya'll need to chill
Judah
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 1:22 pm    Post subject:

lakerican wrote:
He, Lebron comes alone and sign a 4 year deal. Yeah, that screams change. So many young naive people here. Lebron comes here to enjoy. It is like taking a Malibu wave.

I really don't get why the old people here always have to diss the youth. Some of the most ridiculous takes I've ever read on here have come from people who proudly say they were there when Naismith invented the game.
Dumhead
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 2:18 pm    Post subject:

Luke will be fine. It won't be easy. But he'll be fine. I do feel bad for him tho... if things don't go well.. he will be the fall guy, deserved or not.
Mamba Mentality
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 2:45 pm    Post subject:

Luke isn't going anywhere. Everyone needs to calm down. He's more well-respected than we think it seems. I can honestly see he and LeBron working together nicely.
Judah
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 3:28 pm    Post subject:

”Late in the game, there was a pivotal moment in a timeout huddle. After sitting much of the second half, Kobe Bryant had scored seven quick points and the Lakers had cut the lead from nine to four. Blatt wanted James to switch over to defend Bryant, who had been scoring on Shawn Marion. James declined. Blatt was silent. Assistant Ty Lue stepped in and barked at James, ”Bron, you take him. Shut that water off!” James reversed course and agreed. The Cavs closed out the game without more damage from Bryant.

Moments like this had been happening for weeks: Lue stepping in at practice to calm a situation; Lue stepping in during a film session when Blatt ignored a mistake James had made; Lue helping Blatt with substitution patterns and timeout management.”

^I think this shows how vital it is for a head coach to have ”strong” assistants when they have a player like LeBron on their squad. Luke is far from a pushover, but if there were ever moments similar to the one above, he appears to have at least two guys on the bench with him who wouldn't be too intimidated to go back at LeBron and be mediator(s) if necessary: B. Shaw and Brian Keefe. B. Shaw obviously played with Shaq and Kobe and was crucial to keeping the locker room together, then he eventually became an assistant on Phil’s staff and coached Kobe for several years during the second run. With how long he’s been around and all of the drama he’s been in the middle of as a mediator over the years, particularly involving superstar players like Shaq and Kobe with their alpha personalities, he's an ideal coach to have as second in command.

And I'm sure most of us are also aware of the fact that Keefe earned Durant’s respect (and admiration) during their time together in OKC for ripping into him at times when he wasn't carrying himself as a leader. Durant has always said that Keefe’s influence was key for him and helped him grow as a player. All in all, not only do I believe that Luke is the right coach for LeBron, I also believe that he has the right assistants behind him for the LeBron era.

Last edited by Judah on Tue Jul 17, 2018 3:33 pm; edited 2 times in total
Megaton
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 3:29 pm    Post subject:

Randle threw a little shot at Luke.

https://mobile.twitter.com/hmfaigen/status/1017978226608488448?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw%7Ctwcamp%5Etweetembed%7Ctwterm%5E1017978226608488448&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fforums.realgm.com%2Fboards%2Fviewtopic.php%3Ft%3D1729058
epak
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 4:02 pm    Post subject:

Judah wrote:
”Late in the game, there was a pivotal moment in a timeout huddle. After sitting much of the second half, Kobe Bryant had scored seven quick points and the Lakers had cut the lead from nine to four. Blatt wanted James to switch over to defend Bryant, who had been scoring on Shawn Marion. James declined. Blatt was silent. Assistant Ty Lue stepped in and barked at James, ”Bron, you take him. Shut that water off!” James reversed course and agreed. The Cavs closed out the game without more damage from Bryant.

Moments like this had been happening for weeks: Lue stepping in at practice to calm a situation; Lue stepping in during a film session when Blatt ignored a mistake James had made; Lue helping Blatt with substitution patterns and timeout management.”

^I think this shows how vital it is for a head coach to have ”strong” assistants when they have a player like LeBron on their squad. Luke is far from a pushover, but if there were ever moments similar to the one above, he appears to have at least two guys on the bench with him who wouldn't be too intimidated to go back at LeBron and be mediator(s) if necessary: B. Shaw and Brian Keefe. B. Shaw obviously played with Shaq and Kobe and was crucial to keeping the locker room together, then he eventually became an assistant on Phil’s staff and coached Kobe for several years during the second run. With how long he’s been around and all of the drama he’s been in the middle of as a mediator over the years, particularly involving superstar players like Shaq and Kobe with their alpha personalities, he's an ideal coach to have as second in command.

And I'm sure most of us are also aware of the fact that Keefe earned Durant’s respect (and admiration) during their time together in OKC for ripping into him at times when he wasn't carrying himself as a leader. Durant has always said that Keefe’s influence was key for him and helped him grow as a player. All in all, not only do I believe that Luke is the right coach for LeBron, I also believe that he has the right assistants behind him for the LeBron era.

After reading the quoted, it makes me think: No wonder Blatt got fired in lieu of Lue. I agree that assistant coaches are important, but I'd say it's more important for the head coach to have control of the team. Or else, the HC will be fired for the AC.
epak
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 4:07 pm    Post subject:

Megaton wrote:

https://mobile.twitter.com/hmfaigen/status/1017978226608488448?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw%7Ctwcamp%5Etweetembed%7Ctwterm%5E1017978226608488448&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fforums.realgm.com%2Fboards%2Fviewtopic.php%3Ft%3D1729058

Yep. Last friday during Juilus' press conference.
I wonder if that's true. Is that why Julius was a horrible team defender?
I never thought of Gentry's teams to be defensive minded.
The last 2 years, his Pels have been #9 and #13 in drtg though.
But the year before they were #28.
And his suns teams were bad as well (ave mid 20s).

Perhaps things have changed in N.O.?
Jesusdelonla
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 4:23 pm    Post subject:

Megaton wrote:

Insecure people throw shades while alpha's take highway.

It's not Luke's problem randle didn't bring it on every play
LakerSanity

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 4:37 pm    Post subject:

Jesusdelonla wrote:
Megaton wrote:

Insecure people throw shades while alpha's take highway.

It's not Luke's problem randle didn't bring it on every play

We also know for a fact that's not true. The majority of last preseason was spent talking about D. We also went from 30th in D to top 15 in one season (and would have been higher but for injuries that ruined our depth). Randle's comments don't make sense.

Twitter: @DeleteThisPost
Judah
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 5:22 pm    Post subject:

epak wrote:
Judah wrote:

After reading the quoted, it makes me think: No wonder Blatt got fired in lieu of Lue. I agree that assistant coaches are important, but I'd say it's more important for the head coach to have control of the team. Or else, the HC will be fired for the AC.

I'm still not halfway through the book yet, so at this point they're still in their first season together. But from what I've read so far, it really seems like he lost the locker room from almost the very beginning. I didn't exactly follow the Cavs closely that year so I guess I just wasn't aware at the time, but it's shocking how often he would take subtle, unnecessary jabs at both the team and individual players, even after exhilarating wins. He was revered in the European leagues and seemed kind of arrogant, not realizing that everything he accomplished over there wasn't going to command unblemished respect from NBA players, especially players of LeBron’s caliber.

European coaches are treated with more respect in their leagues and the players don't challenge them. Blatt comes across in this book as somewhat naive that the NBA is a totally different animal. I'm not a fan at all of the way LeBron treated him, but he did make a number of blunders (public and private). It wasn't nearly as one-sided as it appeared to be from our vantage point as outsiders. He would've lost the locker room completely during his first year if Ty Lue hadn't been there.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 549, 550, 551 ... 816, 817, 818  Next
Page 550 of 818
Jump to: