ISAIAH THOMAS Official Thread (Shams: Lakers plan to sign 10-Day)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 94, 95, 96 ... 100, 101, 102  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
#StayInYoLane
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 10:38 pm    Post subject:

As a UDUB fan, it was fun having IT on the squad for a short time. But the man can’t play defense. Hope he does well
epak
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 11:22 pm    Post subject:

We wish you the best in your future endeavors.
dont_be_a_wuss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 11:26 pm    Post subject:

audioaxes wrote:
epak wrote:
MJST wrote:
Given the fact he was traded, we could also go over the cap to re-sign him, as we retain his birds rights.

His cap hold is less than Clarkson's contract.

We're pretty much out of cap space now.

if we have his bird rights it doesnt matter.
IMO he's too much of a double edged sword to take a risk on and he already had drama with Lebron

We couldn't sign LeBron, Rondo and Lance while keeping his bird rights, had to renounce them.
IPK
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2018 12:07 am    Post subject:

Sauces

Quote:
Free-agent guard Isaiah Thomas has agreed to a one-year, $2 million deal with the Denver Nuggets, league sources told ESPN.

Thomas met with Tim Connelly, Denver's president of basketball operations, and coach Michael Malone in Las Vegas in recent days, continuing to talk and text with them about a role and circumstances surrounding him joining the Nuggets, league sources said.

Eindhoven
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2018 12:20 am    Post subject:

Man, I feel for this guy. He was about to get paid after a MVP-contender season and the Celtics screwed him. Now he's getting vet minimum to prove he is still healthy.

I really wish him all the best.
Chronicle
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2018 3:19 am    Post subject:

What the heck happened tho, there was a deal ready with Orlando that was for way more money? How come that fell through
DShotMaker1824
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2018 4:34 am    Post subject:

Eindhoven wrote:
Man, I feel for this guy. He was about to get paid after a MVP-contender season and the Celtics screwed him. Now he's getting vet minimum to prove he is still healthy.

I'd love to have a 2 Million Dollar deal to play NBA Basketball...

"Through the legs to the left, through the legs to the right, we don't run them Laker plays, we just Kobe fadeaway..."
AirKobe8
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2018 4:58 am    Post subject:

He's an entertaining player and does it with heart. Wish IT all the best going forward.
danzag
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2018 5:08 am    Post subject:

Poor IT. That's why you don't go to the Celtics.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2018 5:09 am    Post subject:

Best of luck to IT. Celts really screwed him over.
Four Decade Bandwagon
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2018 5:34 am    Post subject:

Have seen multiple comments of the “Celtics screwing him” . How?

IT is a one dimensional offensive player. Talented and entertaining but a huge liability on the defensive end. He got injured and the Celtics avoided the drama of having to pay an injured player a max contract and traded him for another team leader in Irving?

Situation sucks. Going from discussions of max money to a vet minimum has to be as painful. IT certainly had horrible timing in his injury but how is that on the Celtics for making a long term business decision.

Going to be interesting to see how productive he will be this year. Definitely going to improve the Nuggets if he is even contributes a little.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2018 5:51 am    Post subject:

Four Decade Bandwagon wrote:

IT is a one dimensional offensive player. Talented and entertaining but a huge liability on the defensive end. He got injured and the Celtics avoided the drama of having to pay an injured player a max contract and traded him for another team leader in Irving?

Situation sucks. Going from discussions of max money to a vet minimum has to be as painful. IT certainly had horrible timing in his injury but how is that on the Celtics for making a long term business decision.

Going to be interesting to see how productive he will be this year. Definitely going to improve the Nuggets if he is even contributes a little.

They misdiagnosed his injury and basically encouraged him to play hurt. Should have sat out and got that injury healed.
Eindhoven
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2018 6:02 am    Post subject:

diando wrote:
Eindhoven wrote:

I'd love to have a 2 Million Dollar deal to play NBA Basketball...

Me too, but we couldn't get there, could we? Now imagine you could be making 15x more than your current salary, but you're not because someone else screwed you.
Eindhoven
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2018 6:03 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:

They misdiagnosed his injury and basically encouraged him to play hurt. Should have sat out and got that injury healed.

Exactly. And after everything went south, they dumped him.
RobinInHood
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2018 6:07 am    Post subject:

Yeah, that’s gotta suck for IT. He is all about that #SlowGrind though, so hopefully he’ll have a nice bounce back year and get paid next year.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2018 6:17 am    Post subject:

Eindhoven wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

Exactly. And after everything went south, they dumped him.

Celtics FO is cold as hell. Now they're in a tiffy with Marcus Smart.
Joe Pesci
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2018 6:30 am    Post subject:

Thomas could still very well end up in Boston next season when Irving walks.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2018 6:36 am    Post subject:

Joe Pesci wrote:
Thomas could still very well end up in Boston next season when Irving walks.

Imagine if the Celts lose Kyrie AND Smart next year. Whoa.
Four Decade Bandwagon
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2018 6:38 am    Post subject:

Going back and reading some of the IT articles it seems like IT wanted to play. Whether in his best interest or not is questionable, but he is a competitive man in a competitive industry. How many injured players play through injuries when they should rest? Over a long NBA season I would say all of them. Harsh reality of the expectations of their career choice.

They state "misdiagnosed" but also see some comments that he aggravated it two months later. After the headlines there seems to be some grey area of severity of initial injury that IT was aware of and decided to play.

Interesting stuff. But it does not surprise me that the FO would be making decisions that are in the best interest of the team not the individual player.

Even the Cavs making the assertion that it was worse then they originally thought is diminished IMO because they knew the risk and ultimately made the trade for IT. Same as Boston knew Irving had a history of knee injury.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2018 6:42 am    Post subject:

Going back and reading some of the IT articles it seems like IT wanted to play. Whether in his best interest or not is questionable, but he is a competitive man in a competitive industry. How many injured players play through injuries when they should rest? Over a long NBA season I would say all of them. Harsh reality of the expectations of their career choice.

They state "misdiagnosed" but also see some comments that he aggravated it two months later. After the headlines there seems to be some grey area of severity of initial injury that IT was aware of and decided to play.

Interesting stuff. But it does not surprise me that the FO would be making decisions that are in the best interest of the team not the individual player.

Even the Cavs making the assertion that it was worse then they originally thought is diminished IMO because they knew the risk and ultimately made the trade for IT. Same as Boston knew Irving had a history of knee injury.

Celts have medical/training staff, and its their obligation to watch out for him. Heck, if Kobe wanted to continue playing on a torn Achilles, does the team say, "yeah, you're competitive go ahead?" Of course not. Celts thought they could surprise in the playoffs, probably misdiagnosed it (intentionally or at worst neglectfully) and then shipped him off after the injury was seen as a major one.

Cavs made the trade IMO principally for Crowder and the Nets pick, with IT being the hopeful piece but non-essential (as the Cavs knew of the injury and demanded more compensation for it).

The Cavs did a poor job sending Kyrie to an in-conference rival and got what amounts to Sexton for him. That's not a good trade.
Four Decade Bandwagon
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2018 6:58 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:

Celts have medical/training staff, and its their obligation to watch out for him. Heck, if Kobe wanted to continue playing on a torn Achilles, does the team say, "yeah, you're competitive go ahead?" Of course not. Celts thought they could surprise in the playoffs, probably misdiagnosed it (intentionally or at worst neglectfully) and then shipped him off after the injury was seen as a major one.

Cavs made the trade IMO principally for Crowder and the Nets pick, with IT being the hopeful piece but non-essential (as the Cavs knew of the injury and demanded more compensation for it).

The Cavs did a poor job sending Kyrie to an in-conference rival and got what amounts to Sexton for him. That's not a good trade.

Truly do not want to get into an argument about this. Just looking at it differently. IMO lots of pressures and grey areas instead of so cut and dry in the decision making. I have no doubt the Celtics pressured him to play injured. Just that they knowingly misdiagnosed it or that IT didn't have a big say in his desire to play and manage the pain.

Not talking about an Achilles or a broken bone. Most injuries (including IT's hip) has interpretation of severity. How many guys play with a knee injury, ankle sprains or shoulder injuries. Some get away with it. Some have surgery after the season. Some get screwed as it worsens.

IMO hard to find intent with the Celtics in this case, but other med teams around the league. Leonard situation is coming to mind.

My takeaway is not if the Celtics screwed over IT or not. But in the decision by FO teams to assume a risk on an injured player. Again the Leonard situation. I look at the IT situation as a cautionary tale for the Lakers FO. How much risk are they willing to absorb to acquire the splashy headline? Hopefully, none. But until Leonard is traded somewhere it will be a concern.
crucifixion
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2018 7:03 am    Post subject:

This is why kawahi is waiting.

Play thru and injury and risk losing max money like IT.
Kawahi waited it out until fully healed.
pokoy

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2018 7:31 am    Post subject:

https://twitter.com/kylekuzma/status/1017619626996322304?s=21
Quote:

Appreciate my bro @isaiahthomas learned a lot in a short period of time. Can’t wait till u switch on me in the post this year

Kuz, ever the roaster.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Four Decade Bandwagon
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2018 7:31 am    Post subject:

crucifixion wrote:
This is why kawahi is waiting.

Play thru and injury and risk losing max money like IT.
Kawahi waited it out until fully healed.

Understand that is the reasoning for Kawhi.

The concerns I have with him are the reported diagnoses from his and the Spurs camps both have potential long term, chronic or degenerative aspects.

I'm not willing to risk assets and a max contract on it. So far neither have the Lakers FO. I continue to hope they do not feel pressured to come off that stance.

IT is a different situation. He has lost millions because the teams know what is wrong and are paying him to prove he is worth those millions again.

Back to my original question about the Celtics "screwing him". It does not surprise me that they chose to look out for their best interest. Kind of hope the Lakers FO can be just as "cold" and pragmatic in all honesty.
Dumhead
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2018 9:08 am    Post subject:

Wish him the best. Sad that his window for big money closed so quickly. With the injury and how that was handled...
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 94, 95, 96 ... 100, 101, 102  Next
Page 95 of 102
Jump to: