Official 2018 NBA Draft Thread: Lakers select Moe Wagner (#25), Isaac Bonga (#39), and Svi Mykhailiuk (#47) - see 1st page for draft links
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 492, 493, 494  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
KeepItRealOrElse
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2018 8:57 pm    Post subject:

Baron Von Humongous wrote:
KeepItRealOrElse wrote:
KeepItRealOrElse wrote:
If you can successfully overhaul his jumper in th next 2 years , with the shooting coach we’re supposedly hiring.. then it’s a very good pick. If you can’t fix his shooting..I’m not high on it —- but maybe he’s Livingston then..idk

Bonga or Melton? (I assume Bonga, just clarifying).

This is about Bonga. Melton’s new jumper is legit and I liked the form when clips came out a couple months ago ..I would have preferred Melton. In 2019 he’s going to be a legit good rotation piece

Gotcha. I legit like Bonga, but with the opportunity cost of limited picks, Melton seems clearly better short-term and even long-term when talking peak upside.

I'm having trouble thinking of a Bonga comp. Livingston was clearly better at everything by age and was the better athlete pre-injury.

I was just thinking Warriors Livingston.
I think Melton/Bonga’s upsides are similar - but Melton is so much more likely to get close to his . Bonga is so far away . It’s like drafting Anfernee Simons (with a worse jumper)
ch3cky0selff00
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2018 8:58 pm    Post subject:

I like the pic.

Another thing I like is if they keep him on the active roster or even send him down to the G-League .. he still has access to LeBron James, Rajon Rondo and Magic Johnson.

I mean.. if they feel they can mold him into a point forward type player I can't think of three players better equipped to help mold him into that.

If other draft darlings weren't there at that pick.. no one would be complaining. Dude has great measurements. 6'8" with a 7' wingspan and 8'10" standing reach?

Just wait a few years lol.. y'all wll see.

Last edited by ch3cky0selff00 on Sat Jul 14, 2018 9:01 pm; edited 1 time in total
Super Mega Team
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2018 8:59 pm    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
PlantedTanks wrote:
adkindo wrote:
PlantedTanks wrote:
OC Lakerfan wrote:
OC Lakerfan wrote:
I’m okay without Milton. We have Hart, Kcp, BI, and Svi who can all play the two. Svi is a sniper who does more than just shoot.

Melton would be a combo-guard and cheap.

Isn’t that Hart?

Where would his minutes come from?

Where are Bonga's minutes coming from?

Come on BVH. You need to give it a rest.

give what a rest? 2018 Draft Thread....Svi, Melton, and Bonga all part of the 2018 NBA draft.

The poster made a simple statement about Melton. Why not answer the posters question? Because he knows Melton would not see the court much if at all this season.

Hard to swallow sometimes but that's the way I see it.

I just prefer to stuff the roster with as much talent and players that can contribute as possible....it is a long season, never know what will happen....but I do recall starting Caruso a lot last season....and guys like GPII getting playing time....and Hart having to play the #3 because of injuries, players waived, etc.

Our depth is much better this year though.

Ball/Rondo vs 19 yo skinny Ball/Ennis

At the 3 we are loaded now. No worries about depth there.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2018 9:01 pm    Post subject:

KeepItRealOrElse wrote:
KeepItRealOrElse wrote:
KeepItRealOrElse wrote:
If you can successfully overhaul his jumper in th next 2 years , with the shooting coach we’re supposedly hiring.. then it’s a very good pick. If you can’t fix his shooting..I’m not high on it —- but maybe he’s Livingston then..idk

This is about Bonga. Melton’s new jumper is legit and I liked the form when clips came out a couple months ago ..I would have preferred Melton. In 2019 he’s going to be a legit good rotation piece

Gotcha. I legit like Bonga, but with the opportunity cost of limited picks, Melton seems clearly better short-term and even long-term when talking peak upside.

I'm having trouble thinking of a Bonga comp. Livingston was clearly better at everything by age and was the better athlete pre-injury.

I think Melton/Bonga’s upsides are similar - but Melton is so much more likely to get close to his . Bonga is so far away . It’s like drafting Anfernee Simons (with a worse jumper)

just my 2 cents....I prefer Melton....but I think there is a world where if Bonga can be developed as a primary initiator with a developed jump shot, his ceiling could supersede Melton's.
Super Mega Team
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2018 9:03 pm    Post subject:

PlantedTanks wrote:
adkindo wrote:
PlantedTanks wrote:
OC Lakerfan wrote:
OC Lakerfan wrote:
I’m okay without Milton. We have Hart, Kcp, BI, and Svi who can all play the two. Svi is a sniper who does more than just shoot.

Isn’t that Hart?

give what a rest? 2018 Draft Thread....Svi, Melton, and Bonga all part of the 2018 NBA draft.

The poster made a simple statement about Melton. Why not answer the posters question? Because he knows Melton would not see the court much if at all this season.

It's a rhetorical device to save me time and hopefully shock the poster to his/her senses.

Melton could have been the second or third best defender on the Lakers as a rookie (behind Ball and possibly McGee). Walton should get a guy like that minutes off the bench at one of the guard spots.

Like Bonga, who cares if Melton's rookie year minutes would be limited if in the long-run he provided a consistent positive impact? Svi might not also get many minutes this season, but if Hart can replace KCP and SVi replace Hart in 2019, how much money have the Lakers saved over retaining KCP? Similarly, if Melton could develop as a backup PG (in a Patrick Beverley fashion), how much money could the Lakers save over paying to retain Rondo or add a vet backup?

Obviously this is all dependent on any 2nd round picks becoming credible NBA rotation players. But hopefully that answered your question and is seen as completely unnecessary, obvious elicidation of what should've been self-evident.

It wasn’t clearly evident to me, hence why I asked the question. No need to talk down to me bud, completely unnecessary. I have been out of town since Summer League began and am lucky I even got to watch a couple summer league games (I was in Vegas last weekend and watched last Friday in person fwiw).
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2018 9:04 pm    Post subject:

KeepItRealOrElse wrote:
KeepItRealOrElse wrote:
KeepItRealOrElse wrote:

Simons is so far ahead man. He can make *some* of the reads that Bonga makes, but man, just the attack and the shot?! OOf.

https://lakersdraft.substack.com/

I am not an economic advisor nor do I advise economic strategies or plans.
PlantedTanks
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2018 9:06 pm    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
PlantedTanks wrote:
adkindo wrote:
PlantedTanks wrote:
OC Lakerfan wrote:
OC Lakerfan wrote:

Isn’t that Hart?

I just prefer to stuff the roster with as much talent and players that can contribute as possible....it is a long season, never know what will happen....but I do recall starting Caruso a lot last season....and guys like GPII getting playing time....and Hart having to play the #3 because of injuries, players waived, etc.

Yes I realize injuries happen. They have better depth and talent this year. More players are interchangeable.

I still believe Bonga's ceiling is higher than Melton. Higher than many of the 1st rounders. Might be my belief only but obviously Magic/Pelinka and the scouts see talent in him.

The mid 2nd seems to me to be the perfect opportunity to take a chance on a raw but high ceiling talent. Someone like M Robinson would be similar but he was not available.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2018 9:10 pm    Post subject:

PlantedTanks wrote:
The mid 2nd seems to me to be the perfect opportunity to take a chance on a raw but high ceiling talent. Someone like M Robinson would be similar but he was not available.

right, cause Mitchell Robinson who showed out as well as the lottery "bigs" in summer league and Bonga who had more traveling calls than field goals are clearly at a similar level. The length some will go to hold on to a flawed narrative.

justsomelakerfan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2018 9:10 pm    Post subject:

Well, technically Mitchell Robinson was available
KeepItRealOrElse
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2018 9:13 pm    Post subject:

Bonga will def improve leaps and bounds in the Gleague though. Gleague really allows for skill reps/exploration . I kind of love my Dubs Livingston comp..but hopefully they get their shooting coach to fix his shot
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2018 9:16 pm    Post subject:

KeepItRealOrElse wrote:
Bonga will def improve leaps and bounds in the Gleague though. Gleague really allows for skill reps/exploration . I kind of love my Dubs Livingston comp..but hopefully they get their shooting coach to fix his shot

If that's the case, then I'm all for what Shaun Livingston's upside was back then.

I remember a pretty badass handle out of HS too.

PlantedTanks
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2018 9:25 pm    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
PlantedTanks wrote:

right, cause Mitchell Robinson who showed out as well as the lottery "bigs" in summer league and Bonga who had more traveling calls than field goals are clearly at a similar level. The length some will go to hold on to a flawed narrative.

So Robinson is not a raw high ceiling talent. Okaaaay. I guess he polished his skills having last played in high school 2 years ago.

There is an undrafted big from 2015 who has washed out of the NBA the last 2 years who is putting up better numbers than Robinson. What does that say? Maybe SL stats are overrated.
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2018 9:26 pm    Post subject:

PlantedTanks wrote:
adkindo wrote:
PlantedTanks wrote:

So Robinson is not a raw high ceiling talent. Okaaaay. I guess he polished his skills having last played in high school 2 years ago.

There is an undrafted big from 2015 who has washed out of the NBA the last 2 years who is putting up better numbers than Robinson. What does that say? Maybe SL stats are overrated.

Is this a Norvel Pelle reference?

PlantedTanks
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2018 9:27 pm    Post subject:

Mike@LG wrote:
PlantedTanks wrote:
adkindo wrote:
PlantedTanks wrote:

Christian Wood.
h2omike
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2018 9:32 pm    Post subject:

Looks like two of three on the draft, not too shabby.
epak
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2018 11:54 pm    Post subject:

PlantedTanks wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:
PlantedTanks wrote:
adkindo wrote:
PlantedTanks wrote:

Christian Wood.

I see what you did there.
cital
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2018 12:00 am    Post subject:

Honest question... Why did the Lakers decide to give guaranteed contracts in year two to our 2nd round picks? Seems unnecessary to me, especially when we will still be working towards creating the greatest amount of cap space possible... Does it give us more trade flexibility with them at all???
Chronicle
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2018 12:08 am    Post subject:

Didnt know christian wood was available. Few years ago we were all very high on him on LG. I say go for it
eagles nut
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2018 5:16 am    Post subject:

Lakers apparently were going to take Robinson at 39 if he had been available but Knicks snagged him 1st:

https://nypost.com/2018/07/14/mitchell-robinsons-agent-cost-himself-a-job-with-pre-draft-ploy/?utm_source=twitter_sitebuttons&utm_medium=site%20buttons&utm_campaign=site%20buttons
justsomelakerfan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2018 9:52 am    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
justsomelakerfan wrote:
adkindo wrote:
OC Lakerfan wrote:

@BVH....thoughts on Svi compared to Huerter?

I'm not BVH, but thought I'd chime in -

Shortly before the draft when we were hearing Svi tore it up, I was starting to think he might be a poor man's version of Huerter. I think we got a discount Huerter but they're not totally comparable in my eyes.

The big difference to me is Huerter's definitely a better or more natural playmaker which was my favorite aspect of his game in tandem with his insane shooting. Svi actually looks like he might have a quicker shot release. Svi's a bit taller. Having a 6'8" guy who can shoot the way he does... I really overlooked him pre-draft.

Huerter's craftier, like BVH said I trust his ability to score at the rim a bit more. I might trust Svi's handle more than Huerter's.

no, no, no....I said BVH! Just kidding! seems like logical comparisons....I liked Svi as a shooter in the draft, but I have been surprised how much more there has been to his game. I never saw that handle in college....also his release off movement seems quicker than it did in college....and he moves his feet on defense better than I expected.

And I'm stil not BVH but just wanted to add - it's funny both guys seem to have the same campaign slogan coming out of the draft, they're 'More Than Just A Shooter' and it's definitely fair to say that about both guys. Would like to revisit Svi before the draft, I was actually paying more attention to him the previous two years than this year. The Lance signing... is so annoying Svi can contribute
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2018 9:56 am    Post subject:

PlantedTanks wrote:
adkindo wrote:
PlantedTanks wrote:

nowhere near as raw as Bonga.....almost all these rookies are "raw", and Robinson fits in that category.....Bonga is on a level unlike any other player in the draft. Robinson was a Top 10 prospect coming out of high school with guys like Ayton, Bagley, Carter, and Bamba....and your trying to lump him in with Bonga. Btw, he played in high school a year ago.

I get your thing is to bounce around trolling and taking shots at players you do not like....but at least know your facts...Wood was not in the NBA last season....and his initial stint in the NBA was with the 76'ers....a team that had Joel Embiid, Nerlens Noel, Jahil Okafor, Richaun Holmes, and Elton Brand under contract.....a 19 year old underdeveloped Center was the last thing they needed. The guy played well in the GLeague last season, and had an excellent showing in Vegas this summer.....if your only response is that he struggled in the NBA as a 19 year old....then you really do not have much.

Last edited by adkindo on Sun Jul 15, 2018 9:59 am; edited 1 time in total
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2018 9:57 am    Post subject:

eagles nut wrote:
Lakers apparently were going to take Robinson at 39 if he had been available but Knicks snagged him 1st:

https://nypost.com/2018/07/14/mitchell-robinsons-agent-cost-himself-a-job-with-pre-draft-ploy/?utm_source=twitter_sitebuttons&utm_medium=site%20buttons&utm_campaign=site%20buttons

kind of weird since they had already taken Wagner @ #25.
Luminous8
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2018 10:04 am    Post subject:

eagles nut wrote:

Did I miss something in that article where it gave insight into us taking him at 39 if he was available?
Luminous8
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2018 10:08 am    Post subject:

Luminous8 wrote:
eagles nut wrote:

Did I miss something in that article where it gave insight into us taking him at 39 if he was available?

Nevermind, I just looked back at that article, I did t realize it kept going after the adds.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2018 10:18 am    Post subject:

Luminous8 wrote:
Luminous8 wrote:
eagles nut wrote:

Nevermind, I just looked back at that article, I did t realize it kept going after the adds.

where have you been....leaving me out here defending Mitchell Robinson on my own.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 492, 493, 494  Next
Page 493 of 494
Jump to: