Any Swimmers?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2018 1:06 pm    Post subject: Any Swimmers?

I used to swim competitively (almost 20 years ago!). Been hitting the pool 3-4 times a week, about a mile plus each day.

Been trying to get my one mile time down to 25 minutes (right now stuck at around 30 minutes). Bear in mind, my forte was sprinting (50/100) so I have some difficulty with the sheer boredom of swimming 70 laps (1 miles' worth).

Any tips on how I can shed those final 5 minutes?
Roger O. Thornhill
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2018 1:58 pm    Post subject:

The mile was my specialty in the pool, so here’s my opinion:

An efficient way to improve your time is by swimming sets in workout that will increase your stamina. Try something like 10x100s swum at your goal pace, on an interval where ideally you’re getting between 5-10 seconds rest. If you’re aiming for 25 minutes for the 1650 (66 laps), try to hold 1:30 per 100 @1:40 interval.

Do this type of set twice per week, skipping a day or two (only swimming easy yardage in between) for recovery. You can start off doing fewer reps, maybe only 6x100s, but gradually increase the number as you get in better shape.

One day per week, do a set where you try to maintain a faster pace but on an interval where you get 20-30 seconds rest. Something like 20x50s holding :40 @1:05 interval.

As I alluded to earlier, everything else in the pool should be done at an easy aerobic effort, ideally focusing on technique. Good luck!
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2018 3:24 pm    Post subject:

Did a 28 minute mile today. Broke it up into 70 25s with 5 seconds rest.

I swam a 22 second 50 in high school so speed is more of my comfort zone. But trying to increase my stamina.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2018 3:43 pm    Post subject:

Swam competitively and played water polo back in high school and now I swim just to keep fit. Had to take a break for about a year or so but am about to get back into it because I'm going on hiatus for 4 months.

When I got back into swimming as part of my fitness several years ago, I started with a mile and would just swim that amount and I got to where it was consistently 30 minutes. I started trying to swim faster because well, swimming laps can be dull and I figured the faster I swam, the sooner I'd be done. But then I thought about ways to make it more interesting. What I started doing was I bought a waterproof tune belt/headphone set that I could put an old iPod shuffle in and one of those little lap counters you wear on your index finger. I turned swimming into kind of a game. My swim set was always 30 minutes and I'd either listen to music or podcasts depending on the mood and I would just swim with the goal of seeing how many lengths I could get in in the 30 minutes. It would typically be in the low to mid 70's, and occasionally, on days where I felt like trying for "personal bests" get in the upper 70's. Best I ever did 86 at my peak. It put a little self-competition into it and made it a more fun goal oriented thing.

I'm actually going to start doing it again next later this week, but I'm guessing my length counts will not be in the 70's for a bit.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Man, do those lyrics resonate right now
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2018 4:08 pm    Post subject:

I just got an underwater MP3 player today. I also played water polo too back in the day. So SoCal. I was a total sprinter so I actually favor high intensity workouts (like doing multiple under 28 seconds 50s) and lots of sprints over yardage. But I’m also trying to increase my long distance stamina in case I want to try a triathlon.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2018 6:03 pm    Post subject:

When it comes to distance swimming, ocean swims are cool. Every so often I’ll go down to the water and swim south until I’m ready to get out and then I’ll run back to the starting point.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Man, do those lyrics resonate right now
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2018 5:47 am    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
When it comes to distance swimming, ocean swims are cool. Every so often I’ll go down to the water and swim south until I’m ready to get out and then I’ll run back to the starting point.

Nice. I miss that about Cali. East coast beaches just don't it for me.

You have to understand, as a sprinter, doing a mile swim is just torture for me. But I'm trying to expand my game. It's really helping me get into shape though as opposed to my usual lifting/treadmill/elliptical exercises.

I've also religiously played hoops but I'm getting close to the age where it may be a good idea to dial that back, so the pool offers a familiar respite.
Jordan-esque
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2018 6:26 am    Post subject:

I have tons of swimmers. All healthy too.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2018 8:49 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:

What is it about east coast beaches you don't like?

About 15 years ago, I swam at a couple open-water swim camps near Cape Henry in Virginia Beach. I loved that environment and the relatively warm water compared to SoCal (first week of September).

Around the same time, I swam a 5k race in Fort Lauderdale. That beach was kind of flat and boring to look at, but the water was crystal clear and it was pretty cool to be able to see the ocean floor the entire time I was swimming. The main issue there was the disgusting mid-August 100% humidity and 85-degree water temperature.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2018 9:58 am    Post subject:

Quote:

That I'm not in LA going to beaches in SoCal. That's where I grew up.
Goldenwest
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2018 10:13 pm    Post subject:

Roger O. Thornhill wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:

About 15 years ago, I swam at a couple open-water swim camps near Cape Henry in Virginia Beach. I loved that environment and the relatively warm water compared to SoCal (first week of September).

Around the same time, I swam a 5k race in Fort Lauderdale. That beach was kind of flat and boring to look at, but the water was crystal clear and it was pretty cool to be able to see the ocean floor the entire time I was swimming. The main issue there was the disgusting mid-August 100% humidity and 85-degree water temperature.

not good

that's why i prefer the california coast. But as far as swimming that stays indoors.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2018 6:33 am    Post subject:

Yeah. I don't like swimming long distances in beaches/rivers/lakes either. Feels weird and I watched too many episodes of River Monsters and shark shows.

Finally got a waterproof MP3 player. Hopefully will make my workouts more enjoyable.
Roger O. Thornhill
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2018 9:14 am    Post subject:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GXiBQuO7R9k
^NSFW??? (people in swimsuits/speedos )

I tried to incorporate the information in this video into my freestyle technique this week. It seems like that channel has a lot of helpful videos covering all aspects of swimming.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 11:20 am    Post subject:

Well, got my mile down from 30 minutes to about 27 minutes. Still a struggle but my sprint times are still decent given my age.

I was able to have 3-4 days of 1-1.25 hours of swimming, but that's been cut this summer due to summer schedule at the pool I swim at.

Still hoping to get it down to at least 25 minutes by end of the year.

Using the swimmer's "mile" (1650 yards), that's about 33 seconds per 50 yards, not exactly a leisurely pace for someone who is hitting 40 next year.
Roger O. Thornhill
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 11:35 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
Well, got my mile down from 30 minutes to about 27 minutes. Still a struggle but my sprint times are still decent given my age.

I was able to have 3-4 days of 1-1.25 hours of swimming, but that's been cut this summer due to summer schedule at the pool I swim at.

Using the swimmer's "mile" (1650 yards), that's about 33 seconds per 50 yards, not exactly a leisurely pace for someone who is hitting 40 next year.

Your math is off. 25 minutes for 1650 yards is a pace just over 45 seconds per 50 yards. I think that’s a completely reasonable goal to target. Your three-minute improvement is awesome. Keep it up!
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 11:44 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:

Your math is off. 25 minutes for 1650 yards is a pace just over 45 seconds per 50 yards. I think that’s a completely reasonable goal to target. Your three-minute improvement is awesome. Keep it up!

Ah you're right!

I've done sprinting my whole swim career, so it's just tough to have an endurance swimmer's mindset. I have to stop myself from literally sprinting the whole time, which is literally impossible for me.
ChickenBeckerman
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 12:38 pm    Post subject:

Used to swim alot when I was younger, along with surfing etc quite regularly.....then got into other stuff. Really got back into swimming regularly a few years ago when I discovered Total Immersion Swimming. It's not for everyone but for me it was pretty mindblowing.
mhan00
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 7:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Any Swimmers?

yinoma2001 wrote:
I used to swim competitively (almost 20 years ago!). Been hitting the pool 3-4 times a week, about a mile plus each day.

Been trying to get my one mile time down to 25 minutes (right now stuck at around 30 minutes). Bear in mind, my forte was sprinting (50/100) so I have some difficulty with the sheer boredom of swimming 70 laps (1 miles' worth).

Swim faster?
mhan00
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 7:25 pm    Post subject:

Not sure how you do laps in a pool for 30 minutes. I used to run at my local high school’s track, doing about 20 laps 4 or 5 days a week before I broke my ankle. It was soul crushingly boring and a big reason I never got back into it after I healed was because it was boring. I can’t imagine how much worse it would be in a pool where you’d have to repeat a lap 70+ times. Started doing biking and trail running along with basketball a couple times a week after I finally got around to shedding the weight I put on, and was much happier as a result. Maybe try doing the swimming equivalent and do ocean swims and/or surf or something instead? Might make it a little easier to increase your pace when it isn’t the only thing you’re thinking about.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 6:11 am    Post subject: Re: Any Swimmers?

mhan00 wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

Swim faster?

Trying. But I'm a born and raised sprinter. Run out of gas in the middle of the set as I'm probably going too fast.
Roger O. Thornhill
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 7:04 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

Ah you're right!

I've done sprinting my whole swim career, so it's just tough to have an endurance swimmer's mindset. I have to stop myself from literally sprinting the whole time, which is literally impossible for me.

I've always been the exact opposite. I could hold a strong pace forever but I struggled with actually getting up to a true sprint effort without losing my feel for the water. As I've gotten older and naturally shifted focus to shorter swims and workouts I've definitely improved at feeling comfortable on sprints, but it'll always be a struggle for me. A good challenge though!
Dumhead
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 1:59 pm    Post subject:

I've been having back problems so I'm starting to incorporate swimming back into my routine. Used to swim through high school... but that was a long time ago.
ChickenBeckerman
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 9:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Any Swimmers?

yinoma2001 wrote:

Look into Total Immersion Swimming.
Thugnomoe
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2018 8:56 am    Post subject:

https://www.underwateraudio.com/products/waterproof-ipod-shuffle?variant=7558086819892

I do about the same as you.. 1800-2000 yards 4-5 times a week.

this helps immensely. so much better than just staring at the line for 30 minutes.. i listen to audio books.. podcasts.. music of course.
Goldenwest
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2018 9:42 pm    Post subject:

ChickenBeckerman wrote:
Used to swim alot when I was younger, along with surfing etc quite regularly.....then got into other stuff. Really got back into swimming regularly a few years ago when I discovered Total Immersion Swimming. It's not for everyone but for me it was pretty mindblowing.

i used to do that almost everyday, as one gets older the responsibilities pile up and its harder to find the time to paddle out, unless you live right by the beach.

Swimming is much more accessible, boring, but accessible.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: