Official 2018 Summer League Discussion Thread (July 17 - Final: Lakers vs Blazers)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 181, 182, 183  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Topic HOF This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
leor_77
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 7:49 pm    Post subject:

cmonkee wrote:
well, disappointing end to an otherwise great las vegas summer league. sucks we didn't win it all, but most importantly we saw promising signs from Wagner & Svi, and improvement from Hart

+1.

Most important thing to remember.
epak
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 7:50 pm    Post subject:

Lol. SL rivalry.
I can't wait till next year.
Maybe blazers will have Dame and CJ on the team.

Reasons for the loss:
1. Refs sucked
2. Josh and Svi sucked
3. Portland played tough. Set nice sreens. Chased guys off 3 pointers. Gang rebounded.
4. Multiples of 3 suck: #6, #12, #21, #30

Im pretty confident Josh was sick today. Darn you Alex!
Artesties
Star Player
Star Player

Dude all those blazers were in a line to go shake RP and Magic’s hand after the game. The swag of the lakers is nuts right now.
chantruong
Star Player
Star Player

Artesties wrote:
Dude all those blazers were in a line to go shake RP and Magic’s hand after the game. The swag of the lakers is nuts right now.

I will take Zach Collins and Simons
epak
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 7:53 pm    Post subject:

Blazers are pathetic. They don't even have Neil Olshey come out to say: we back!!!
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 7:54 pm    Post subject:

good to see KJ win MVP....hope he gets another chance in the league
TooMuchMajicBuss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Location: In a white room, with black curtains near the station

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 7:55 pm    Post subject:

epak wrote:
Lol. SL rivalry.

Reasons for the loss:
1. Refs sucked
2. Josh and Svi sucked
3. Portland played tough. Set nice sreens. Chased guys off 3 pointers. Gang rebounded.

5 2xOT win the previous night on a hard fought battle
6 This Laker team was shallow, particularly after Mo went down. Hart, Caruso, Svi carried a heavy load all series.
PRLakeShow
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 7:58 pm    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:

Personally for me, I wouldn't say that. Good for KJ, sure but not good to see. This is not what SL is about. Journeymen scrubs getting MVPs. Nope. People come to see the lottery picks battle it out, to see how much the 2nd year guys have improved, etc. Stacking your team with vets so you can win the championship is tasteless.
LAPauer
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 7:59 pm    Post subject:

TooMuchMajicBuss wrote:
epak wrote:
Lol. SL rivalry.

Reasons for the loss:
1. Refs sucked
2. Josh and Svi sucked

5 2xOT win the previous night on a hard fought battle
6 This Laker team was shallow, particularly after Mo went down. Hart, Caruso, Svi carried a heavy load all series.

7. They played the Blazers' starting line up. 5 of their guys were rotation players.
TDRock
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 8:03 pm    Post subject:

PRLakeShow wrote:
adkindo wrote:

Personally for me, I wouldn't say that. Good for KJ, sure but not good to see. This is not what SL is about. Journeymen scrubs getting MVPs. Nope. People come to see the lottery picks battle it out, to see how much the 2nd year guys have improved, etc. Stacking your team with vets so you can win the championship is tasteless.

Yeah I'm confused at how SL works nowadays. I remember in Julius's 3rd year people were hoping he'd play since his rookie year was basically washed and the stated reason for him not playing was because he was already in his 3rd year. But now we just had a 30 y/o guy who has already won a ring with another team on our SL squad. What??? lol! Not exactly what I have in mind when I'm thinking SL.
chantruong
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 8:11 pm    Post subject:

PRLakeShow wrote:
adkindo wrote:

I disagree. There are journeymen trying to squeak onto an NBA roster. They literally hustling for their lives out there. If they end up playing well they should be recognized. If a bunch of journeymen end up on single team cant really stop them.

Last edited by chantruong on Tue Jul 17, 2018 8:14 pm; edited 1 time in total
cal1piggy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 8:13 pm    Post subject:

so frustrating. no ball, kuz or lebron!
socalsp3
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 8:15 pm    Post subject:

TDRock wrote:
PRLakeShow wrote:
adkindo wrote:

Yeah I'm confused at how SL works nowadays. I remember in Julius's 3rd year people were hoping he'd play since his rookie year was basically washed and the stated reason for him not playing was because he was already in his 3rd year. But now we just had a 30 y/o guy who has already won a ring with another team on our SL squad. What??? lol! Not exactly what I have in mind when I'm thinking SL.

Its good to have an experienced PG to help evaluate your scorers. Caruso was there more for the other guys than himself

Last edited by socalsp3 on Tue Jul 17, 2018 8:16 pm; edited 1 time in total
kobe8One
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 8:16 pm    Post subject:

PRLakeShow wrote:
adkindo wrote:

This is the Blazers only way to win a NBA championship. (SL)
TDRock
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 8:29 pm    Post subject:

socalsp3 wrote:
TDRock wrote:
PRLakeShow wrote:
adkindo wrote:

Its good to have an experienced PG to help evaluate your scorers. Caruso was there more for the other guys than himself

I wasn't talking about CaruGOAT at all. He's a 2nd year, 2-way player and he's only 24. Total SL guy.

I was talking about Ayers, who is 31 and won a championship in 2014 with the Spurs.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 8:35 pm    Post subject:

TDRock wrote:
socalsp3 wrote:
TDRock wrote:
PRLakeShow wrote:
adkindo wrote:

I wasn't talking about CaruGOAT at all. He's a 2nd year, 2-way player and he's only 24. Total SL guy.

I was talking about Ayers, who is 31 and won a championship in 2014 with the Spurs.

Caruso's 3rd Summer League....I get what your saying, but it is one of the few ways these guys out of the league get to show for a potential deal in the NBA or overseas.
PlantedTanks
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 11:07 pm    Post subject:

TDRock wrote:
socalsp3 wrote:
TDRock wrote:
PRLakeShow wrote:
adkindo wrote:

SL teams are generally semi-disorganized play with primarily young players who have not played together trying to adjust to an NBA playing style.

Having an experienced vet like Ayres helps to stabilize the offense and defense especially one who grinds inside. I don't believe the team would have made the finals without him.

Btw Caruso is 24 and it was pointed out 3rd year in the SL. KJ is 25 and he is a journeyman vet.

Last year Travis Wear played for the Lakers championship team. Don't believe anyone had a problem with that.
AJ
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2018 12:34 am    Post subject:

No one cares about the SL championship, the teams will play to get better and to showcase their skills to every other team or league out there but no one is partying in Vegas tonight BECAUSE of that small trophy. They would be partying because its Vegas, nothing else.

With that said, very lackluster effort from this Lakers squad but you don't care if you win meaningless games, its about the player development and we saw plenty of that with this team.

I will say, without a doubt, Williams (#21) will NEVER play in the NBA. He will be lucky to sniff a G League squad. Dude is only tall, that is his only thing. Throughout this month, all you saw was him mishandling the ball and missing bunnies and I don't mean bad luck misses, I mean MISSING BADLY. He is probably going to go overseas to be never heard from again.
deal
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2018 3:12 am    Post subject:

IMO; in this final game it looked like the entire Laker team choked with the series on the line.

Last edited by deal on Wed Jul 18, 2018 5:30 am; edited 1 time in total
laker50
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2018 5:10 am    Post subject:

The Lakers had a SL team while Portland had a pro type team.
The difference in defense was obvious. Portland controlled the inside.
But a good learning experience for the team.
BigGameHames
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2018 6:53 am    Post subject:

deal wrote:
IMO; in this final game it looked like the entire Laker team choked with the series on the line.

Na we leaned on a few guys to carry us who were gassed from the game Monday night. Hart and Svi combined for 68 points in double OT then couldn’t hit wide open shots last night. They didn’t look nervous, just exhausted.

Overall, that’s a great summer league probably even better than last year because of the much lower expectations.
Hart- Best player by a fair margin in the summer league; showed star potential. Already a rotational player on a contender.
Wagner- injury shortened it but was the 2nd best player on the team until injury. Looks like a fringe rotational player now with tons of potential.
Svi- Came into his own in Vegas and showed a lot more than just shooting. Along with Hart, carried the team in Vegas. Same as Wagner, looks like a fringe rotation player now with tons of potential.
Caruso- Horrible in Sac but played solid in Vegas. I think he’s an end of the bench NBA player who you can play in a pinch. Probably close to his ceiling besides the typical veteran/savvy growth.

Nobody else looked to be an NBA player but that guys that matter showed out. Nothing to be upset about.
pokoy

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2018 6:56 am    Post subject:

BigGameHames wrote:
deal wrote:

Na we leaned on a few guys to carry us who were gassed from the game Monday night. Hart and Svi combined for 68 points in double OT then couldn’t hit wide open shots last night. They didn’t look nervous, just exhausted.

Overall, that’s a great summer league probably even better than last year because of the much lower expectations.
Hart- Best player by a fair margin in the summer league; showed star potential. Already a rotational player on a contender.
Wagner- injury shortened it but was the 2nd best player on the team until injury. Looks like a fringe rotational player now with tons of potential.
Svi- Came into his own in Vegas and showed a lot more than just shooting. Along with Hart, carried the team in Vegas. Same as Wagner, looks like a fringe rotation player now with tons of potential.
Caruso- Horrible in Sac but played solid in Vegas. I think he’s an end of the bench NBA player who you can play in a pinch. Probably close to his ceiling besides the typical veteran/savvy growth.

Nobody else looked to be an NBA player but that guys that matter showed out. Nothing to be upset about.

Agreed.

I think that's a way different game if we have Wagner. I'm thinking he and Svi will be carrying next year's squad.

Hart is ready for a breakout season.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Polarbear
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2018 7:51 am    Post subject:

Didnt get to see the game but I knew this was going to be tough because outside of Hart and Svi we have a bunch of chuckers trying to make an NBA roster by putting up points....

Meanwhile the other team stacked their roster with NBA talent......if just one more NBA level player had played (Wagner) we might have won that game.........

Oh well.......made it to the Summer League championship.....team played well.......give them their props.

And the good news? We have players that we know can play coming out of Summer Pro league
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 11:59 am    Post subject:

One should never overreact to the small sample size of SL play, but I think I may have overrated Jalen Brunson.
RCS926
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 1:04 pm    Post subject:

socalsp3 wrote:
TDRock wrote:
PRLakeShow wrote:
adkindo wrote:

Caruso was a rookie last season, so it was appropriate for him to play again in the SPL as a 2nd year player. I'd be surprised to see him on next year's SPL team.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Topic HOF All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 181, 182, 183  Next
Page 182 of 183
Jump to: