LAKERS -vs- BLAZERS – 7-17-18 - Thoughts and :-(( Ratings

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Thoughts and Ratings Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DancingBarry
Editor-in-Chief
Editor-in-Chief

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 8:28 pm    Post subject: LAKERS -vs- BLAZERS – 7-17-18 - Thoughts and :-(( Ratings

Flat in the Finals… The Lakers came out on their heels and with dead legs. As Portland made their first 9 of 10 shots, the lead ballooned to 17 by halftime, and the Lakers were in for a long night.

Portland packed the paint, played physical and the dead legs of the Lakers couldn’t knock down a single three in the first half.

L.A. made a push late in the third, threatening to get the lead back to single digits. They were making extra passes and finding bigs, but the wheels soon fell off. Missed open threes, turnovers and they were down by 20 heading into the fourth.

Down big and with a Josh Hart ejection in the fourth, the Lakers 12-game win streak in Vegas came to an end, 91-73. Last night was the game of the summer. It would have been interesting if that was the finals game and not this one. There was nothing left in the tank tonight after a long and impressive Summer League.

Too bad Wagner couldn’t play in this one to see how he could handle the NBA physicality (Portland had nine players with NBA experience), but a lot to be positive about with the youngsters.

Hart -- -- I think the big minutes and all those work horse games he’s put in just caught up to him tonight. He was missing open shots and freethrows. “We missed shots we’ve made all week,” Hart said. Combine that with some early foul trouble and that spelled trouble for the Lakers as a team. Great Summer League for him winning the tournament MVP and showing an expanded game. This game will leave a bad taste in his mouth and you can expect him to put in more work (definitely sounded like it in his postgame interview, too). He had 8 points on 2-4 shooting in the first half and never really got on track, missing from not only the perimeter but more shots in the paint more than we’ve seen all summer. Refs tossed him again in the fourth quarter of this one after a no call that he wanted. “That same call was called three times on Jeff Ayres,” he said. I hope he told them where they can go, lol. So much for Summer League MVP status with the refs. Great Summer League. Could not have asked for much more from him. The Stats: He scored 12 points on 3-12 shooting (0-6 from three, 6-9 from the line) to go with 2 boards, 2 assists, 3 turnovers and 3 fouls in 22 minutes. He was a -14. The Action: He swished a baseline jumper on an inbounds, fading left. He didn’t hit rim on an open three. Wild drive and he charged. He was fouled on a turnaround in the paint, he made one FT. He was fouled on a wing three, he made two of the FTs. He attacked the paint with speed and scored a lefty layup. He was blocked on a layup in transition. He made a tech FT. Second Half: He let a man fly by and missed the three. He hit Ayres for the jumper. He missed a deep three on iso. He was rejected out of bounds in transition. Not close on a wide open three. Good help challenge to force a brick on a big. He curled into the lane and drew FTs on the layup attempt, he made one. He missed a wide open wing three. He attacked a crowd and lost it. He was blocked or airballed a wing three. He scored an easy And-1 layup on the break, he made the FT. He missed a layup after running into a big, then he got tossed.

Mykhailiuk -- -- Like Hart and the rest of the Lakers, he couldn’t knock down threes early on. He would warm up a little and knock down a couple in the second half and also show some nice playmaking on a couple of sequences. He’s put together a tremendous Summer League, making the All Summer League second team as a 47th pick along with a trio of lottery picks. He was not having any of that praise after the game, though, as the team lost. “It’s great for some players, but for players like me all we care about is winning,” he said. He was getting noticeably irked on the court at times in this one and that resulted in him picking up his defensive intensity for a stretch. I like it. He needs to play with that chip on his shoulder a bit more on the defensive end. Not that he’s been weak, but he just gets after it more when he’s angry. If you look at a guy like Klay, who’s a great quick-trigger shooter, but can also gets after it on D, he plays with that kind of edge defensively. Should be an interesting preseason. I think the depth in front of him will make it a challenge this season for minutes as they probably favor the vets, but he’s going to force them to play some interesting lineups, I think, to try to get him out there. Can’t wait to see how he looks with more impact players around him. Until preseason, I’d like him to work on his strength and explosion off the dribble. The Stats: He scored 10 points on 3-10 shooting (2-7 from three, 2-2 from the line) to go with 3 boards, 2 assists, 1 turnover and 4 fouls in 23 minutes. He was a -9. The Action: Not close on a three that he looked undercut on. He missed another three straight away. He missed a wing three, got it back and missed another from the same spot, wide open. He was blocked on a step-back wing jumper, forced that one. His jump pass went out of bounds when a player wasn’t ready for it. He pushed out a rebound and was fouled on the finish, he made both FTs. He attacked in transition and was stripped. Second Half: He drew an illegal screen call on D fighting over the top. He cut off a wing screen, took a pass and fed Ayres for the dunk. Good challenge on one end, he then found Ayres in transition on the other for an And-1. He attacked off the three line and scored a layup. He sank a three flashing from the weakside off a down screen. He airballed a step-back fade trying to beat the shotclock. He sank a corner three on a kickout.

Caruso -- -- Back in the lineup after his day off with stomach issues. He’s a gamer. AC just puts in the minutes. Hopefully, now he can get some rest of a lot of basketball. Loved some of his scrappy moments of D in the summer. His passing got better as they got more comfortable as a team. He needs to keep working on that shot and that floater. The Stats: He scored 9 points on 4-8 shooting (0-2 from three, 1-1 from the line) to go with 3 boards, 4 assists, 1 block, 1 turnover and 1 foul in 24 minutes. He was a -6. The Action: He sank an elbow pull-up jumper. He missed a pull-up from the FT line. He scored a layup in transition. He drew a charge off ball. He airballed a corner three. He missed a pull-up elbow jumper. Great challenge on his man to prevent a reverse, he then bounced back onto the offensive rebounder who was attacked and forced a miss by going vertical. Second Half: He missed a half-court heave. He found King for a layup in transition. He swiped a kickout and fed Hart on the break for a layup. He crossed over and flipped in an And-1 layup, he made the FT.

Ayres -- -- Man, no rebounds. Good third quarter as teammates started looking for him more with the D helping off him. We could never get locked on D, however. Good minutes from him this summer. Not sure it’s enough to get a camp invite even if we are a little short on bigmen. The Stats: He scored 11 points on 5-9 shooting (1-1 from the line) to go with 1 assist, 1 steal, 1 turnover and 4 fouls in 23 minutes. He was a -19. The Action: He couldn’t hold onto an interior pass that would have been a dunk. Nice job changing ends and we found him for a dunk. He missed a forced baseline jumper. He missed a jumper from the top of the key. He dunked off some clever dribbling by Rathan-Mayes to draw the D. Second Half: He dunked off the dish from Svi. He scored an And-1 layup changing ends with speed for Svi to find him, he made the FT. He sank a baseline jumper next time down. He got tapped on a wing jumper. He missed a turnaround in the post.

Williams -- -- He was not looking confident on his shot and that stalled the offense. Such a funky looking shot, I don’t blame him. But it really threw things off at times. Some good effort on D (he had 3 steals on the night), but not a lot of overall impact. The team wasn’t in synch on offense and that really made his weaknesses there stand out a bit. The Stats: He scored 4 points on 2-8 shooting (0-1 from three) to go with 6 boards, 3 steals, 2 turnovers and 4 fouls in 29 minutes. He a was a -15. The Action: He chased down a loose ball and took it the distance for a dunk. He attacked from the corner and was easily swatted. He forced up a brick in the post. He missed a jumphook across the lane. He didn’t want to shoot the open three, took a dribble in and threw it away. He missed a wing three. He grabbed a rebound, pushed it out and dunked at full speed. Second Half: He choked a layup. He missed a baseline jumper.

Rathan-Mayes -- -- He’s looked more and more comfortable with the speed of the game. Definitely like to see him get a camp invite and assignment in the G-League. He shows a lot of fight. Last night hitting the big shots. Even today when we were down, he have a couple moments of spark. I think he can play up-tempo offense and get up and down the court like they do in the G-League. Might be good to latch on there. The Stats: He scored 8 points on 2-5 shooting (1-2 from three, 3-4 from the line) to go with 1 board, 1 assist, 2 turnovers and 3 fouls in 16 minutes. He was a -19. The Action: He attacked a crowd, turnover. He sized up a man and hit a wing pull-up jumper. He battled on the boards to regain possession and earn FTs, he made one. He drew more FTs with a pushout with 5 seconds left, he made both. He attacked and was called for a charge, going down hard on his tailbone. He broke down the D and found Ayres in the paint for the dunk. He missed a pull-up 17-footer. He couldn’t finish a layup around a big. Second Half: He sank a wing three on a kickout. He missed a wing three flashing to the ball.

Newman -- -- Not a lot of action for him this summer despite the two-way contract. Glad the scouts talked Magic/Pelinka out of drafting him with Svi’s spot. They were able to get him on the two-way deal after the draft, and I think Newman will show better down the line. But Svi is head and shoulders above him right now in most aspects of the game. The Stats: He scored 4 points on 1-3 shooting (2-2 from the line) to go with 3 boards, 1 turnover and 1 foul in 9 minutes. He was a +0. The Action: He sank a pull-up from the top of the key. He gave up a straight line drive. Wild pass, turnover. Second Half: He missed a pull-up wing jumper. He was fouled on a layup attempt, he made both. He missed a wing three.

King -- -- His interior D has left a lot to be desired. He had some strong offensive games early on, but the D has been consistently weak. The Stats: He scored 6 points on 3-7 shooting (0-1 from three, 0-1 from the line) to go with 4 boards, 2 turnovers and 2 fouls in 13 minutes. He was a -5. The Action: He gave up a putback jam. He telegraphed a kickout on the other end and it led to a Portland dunk. He chased down a loose ball on D and took it for an And-1 layup, he missed the FT. No interior presence and he gave up a touch And-1 layup. He missed a tough wing jumper trying to beat the shotclock. Second Half: He missed a long wing jumper up against the shotclock. He attacked the paint with his left and scored a layup. He was called for a travel in the post. He missed an open wing three. Caruso found him in transition for a layup. He got tapped on a layup, got it back and missed a forced attempt in the post.

Carrol -- -- Another guy I could see latching on with the G-League team. Not a lot of minutes, but he was able to get to the rim for a few scores. The Stats: He scored 7 points on 3-4 shooting (0-1 from three, 1-1 from the line) to go with 4 boards and no fouls in 12 minutes. He was a -4. The Action: Nothing to report. Second Half: He attacked off the three line and scored a layup. He attacked the offensive zone with speed to his left and scored the And-1 lefty layup. He missed a corner three, attacked off his own rebound and scored a layup.

Holland -- -- Some moments of feisty D, but not much else. The Stats: He didn’t score on 0-1 shooting from three to go with 2 boards and 1 foul in 10 minutes. He was a -8. The Action: Nothing to report. Second Half: Near strip on iso D. Not close on a three.

Pope -- -- Some garbage time minutes. He never really got any time in the summer to show much of anything. I assume that was the same of what they saw in practice. The Stats: He didn’t score on 0-1 shooting to go with 2 boards, 1 steal, 1 turnover and 1 foul in 3 minutes. He was a +1. The Action: He did not play in the first half. Second Half: He missed a baseline jumper. He swiped a pass in the paint. Good challenge on a three to force a brick.

Bonga -- -- Really showed little grasp for much of anything all summer. He needs to be thrown to the wolves in the G-League for a couple of years. The Stats: He didn’t shoot or score and had 1 assist and 1 foul in 8 minutes. He was a +2. The Action: He did not play in the first half. Second Half: Indecisive about stopping ball on help D and he gave up a bug dunk. He kicked to Svi for a three.

Branch -- -- Garbage time minutes. He got a layup taking advantage of some poor D. The Stats: He scored 2 points on 1-1 shooting and had 1 board and 1 turnover in 2 minutes. He was a +6. The Action: He did not play in the first half. Second Half: Straight-line drive for a layup. His transition pass was picked off.
Chronicle
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 8:38 pm    Post subject:

DB --

Lakers --
RhodyRay
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 11:04 pm    Post subject:

DB,

Great job as always. I really love your post-game write ups. You are in mid-season form! Enjoy the break.

This Laker lost will motivate guys like Hart and Svi to push to work harder. I hope all our Lakers will be upset when we lose ANY games this year.
Shaber
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 11:05 pm    Post subject:

Thanks, DB, for great recaps as usual!

To sum it up. Lakers once again had a great draft.
Mo and Svi are keepers and if everything goes as expected, strong rotation players in a few seasons if not right away.
Bonga has been MEH so far, he'd be not much even in the G-League right now. Hopefully he learns.
Hart has made a big step forward.
All great news.

Lakers depth chart

PG Johnson / Goodrich
SG Bryant / West / Scott
SF Baylor / Worthy / Cooper
PF Mikkelsen / Hairston / McAdoo / Gasol
C Chamberlain / Abdul-Jabbar / O'Neal / Mikan
akgolf
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2018 2:11 am    Post subject:

Thanks DB!
deal
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2018 3:05 am    Post subject:

It just seems they all choked.

Thanks DB !
OregonLakerGuy
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2018 3:24 am    Post subject:

Thanks DB
Lakers#1Team
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2018 3:48 am    Post subject:

Thanks DB!
TooMuchMajicBuss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Location: In a white room, with black curtains near the station

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2018 5:42 am    Post subject:

Thanks DB. Would have been nice to win it, but it's hard for three guys to carry most of the load night after night on back to back to back games and not get tired legs at some point.

All in all - much better summer league than I expected when I first read who was going to be on our lineup. I'm not surprised at all how well Hart performed, nor Caruso. It's a very big surprise to me how well Svi played and how many dimensions he had to his game. Wagner was about as I expected on the court, more charismatic than I expected off the court.

So now, Portland has a Summer League trophy to go with their 1977 vintage Larry O'Brien Trophy.

We'll have to make due with our previous year's Summer League Trophy, to go with 16 NBA Championship trophies.

Looking forward to this coming season!
LakerSD
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2018 5:51 am    Post subject:

Just seemed like a tired bunch. Not having a bench finally caught up to them. Tough to play a team that is loaded with NBA experience on back to back to back with no bench.
Fortysixn2
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2018 6:00 am    Post subject:

Missed the first half, but caught most of the second half. It just looked like to me that Hart and Svi were tired and that Portland had a lot of guys who could shoot, while our talent was basically limited to two people. I think considering that Wagner got hurt early on and that our talent was significantly lower this year than last year, we showed out well. I think Simon does a great job trying to organize these young guys.

As our record improves and our draft fortunes worsen, it might be a long time until we compete for a SL championship again...which is a good thing.

Aside from Hart, Svi, Bonga and Wagner...none of those guys showed enough to get a camp invite. Bonga will just be a body and then play in the G league, I’m not sure about Wagner. He’s probably just as good as Zubac at this point so he’ll probably be with the big club and get 5 minutes a game or so.

I wasn’t expecting much from this crew in SL, they did surprisingly well.

Last edited by Fortysixn2 on Wed Jul 18, 2018 10:44 am; edited 1 time in total
LakerLanny
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2018 6:40 am    Post subject:

Dead Legs and Lanny gets a lesson in betting summer league basketball....
DancingBarry
Editor-in-Chief
Editor-in-Chief

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2018 9:05 am    Post subject:

LakerLanny wrote:
Dead Legs and Lanny gets a lesson in betting summer league basketball....

Ouch.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Thoughts and Ratings All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: