Official Goodbye LUKE WALTON Thread (Luke/Lakers Part Ways, p. 792, Signs Deal with Kings p. 809)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 550, 551, 552 ... 816, 817, 818  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
epak
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 5:52 pm    Post subject:

Judah wrote:
epak wrote:
Judah wrote:
”Late in the game, there was a pivotal moment in a timeout huddle. After sitting much of the second half, Kobe Bryant had scored seven quick points and the Lakers had cut the lead from nine to four. Blatt wanted James to switch over to defend Bryant, who had been scoring on Shawn Marion. James declined. Blatt was silent. Assistant Ty Lue stepped in and barked at James, ”Bron, you take him. Shut that water off!” James reversed course and agreed. The Cavs closed out the game without more damage from Bryant.

Moments like this had been happening for weeks: Lue stepping in at practice to calm a situation; Lue stepping in during a film session when Blatt ignored a mistake James had made; Lue helping Blatt with substitution patterns and timeout management.”

^I think this shows how vital it is for a head coach to have ”strong” assistants when they have a player like LeBron on their squad. Luke is far from a pushover, but if there were ever moments similar to the one above, he appears to have at least two guys on the bench with him who wouldn't be too intimidated to go back at LeBron and be mediator(s) if necessary: B. Shaw and Brian Keefe. B. Shaw obviously played with Shaq and Kobe and was crucial to keeping the locker room together, then he eventually became an assistant on Phil’s staff and coached Kobe for several years during the second run. With how long he’s been around and all of the drama he’s been in the middle of as a mediator over the years, particularly involving superstar players like Shaq and Kobe with their alpha personalities, he's an ideal coach to have as second in command.

And I'm sure most of us are also aware of the fact that Keefe earned Durant’s respect (and admiration) during their time together in OKC for ripping into him at times when he wasn't carrying himself as a leader. Durant has always said that Keefe’s influence was key for him and helped him grow as a player. All in all, not only do I believe that Luke is the right coach for LeBron, I also believe that he has the right assistants behind him for the LeBron era.

After reading the quoted, it makes me think: No wonder Blatt got fired in lieu of Lue. I agree that assistant coaches are important, but I'd say it's more important for the head coach to have control of the team. Or else, the HC will be fired for the AC.

I'm still not halfway through the book yet, so at this point they're still in their first season together. But from what I've read so far, it really seems like he lost the locker room from almost the very beginning. I didn't exactly follow the Cavs closely that year so I guess I just wasn't aware at the time, but it's shocking how often he would take subtle, unnecessary jabs at both the team and individual players, even after exhilarating wins. He was revered in the European leagues and seemed kind of arrogant, not realizing that everything he accomplished over there wasn't going to command unblemished respect from NBA players, especially players of LeBron’s caliber.

European coaches are treated with more respect in their leagues and the players don't challenge them. Blatt comes across in this book as somewhat naive that the NBA is a totally different animal. I'm not a fan at all of the way LeBron treated him, but he did make a number of blunders (public and private). It wasn't nearly as one-sided as it appeared to be from our vantage point as outsiders. He would've lost the locker room completely during his first year if Ty Lue hadn't been there.

Appreciate the reading and summary!
Good info.
Megaton
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 5:58 pm    Post subject:

Jesusdelonla wrote:
Megaton wrote:
Randle threw a little shot at Luke.

https://mobile.twitter.com/hmfaigen/status/1017978226608488448?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw%7Ctwcamp%5Etweetembed%7Ctwterm%5E1017978226608488448&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fforums.realgm.com%2Fboards%2Fviewtopic.php%3Ft%3D1729058

Insecure people throw shades while alpha's take highway.

It's not Luke's problem randle didn't bring it on every play

It’s why Randle was benched to start the season. His pouting almost all season was really watching a guy on borrowed time.

I knew Randle would be gone for over a year. My only wish was trading him for something. Never cared about him due to his big limitations and outdated play style.
kawhileonard
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2018 4:33 pm    Post subject:

Feel bad for Luke...
socalsp3
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2018 7:34 pm    Post subject:

I wonder if theyre signing these guys on purpose to set him up to fail.

Rndo, lance, mcgee, bEZ
Judah
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2018 7:52 pm    Post subject:

socalsp3 wrote:
I wonder if theyre signing these guys on purpose to set him up to fail.

Rndo, lance, mcgee, bEZ

If that is the goal, it is going to fail miserably for two reasons. For one, the rest of the league is in bewilderment over the way they've constructed the roster. If it fails miserably and they respond by firing Luke, they'll get universally blasted by everyone. Everyone will be asking why they constructed the roster this way and then blamed him for the fact that it didn't work.

Secondly, people continue to forget that something like that would be Jeanie’s call. It's not ultimately up to them. Sure, they could WANT to fire him for whatever reason, but it wouldn't matter if they didn't have Jeanie’s consent. And given the way she talks about Luke that seems like an enormous long shot.
oldlakerfan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2018 6:16 am    Post subject:

Luke is the perfect coach for these guys.

He relates to the young guys and they all work hard for him and they have great chemistry together and a joy for the game.

Lebron and the rest of the vets are battle tested and know how to play the game. Luke is perfect for these guys because he will make it fun for them again. They will eventually all get on the same page and will play great offensive and defense and they will have fun.

While we can all see the the youth will benefit from the veteran experience I think the Vets will benefit from the youthful enthusiasm of our young core of rising stars. Luke will need to sprinkle some wisdom for his Dad, Phil, Lute and Kerr as he looks to orchestrate this diverse eclectic group of individuals into a cohesive dynamic winning team.

I also suspect that he may feel like the dog who chased the car and finally caught it. Hopefully he just hops on and enjoys the ride.
kawhileonard
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2018 6:19 am    Post subject:

I don't think so. THis roster is made for him to fail.

The reason why his offense worked is because we had a team that consisted of all young legs and guys willing to listen. (even lopez a legit 20ppg was minimized a lot, but he still played his role offensively decently stretching the floor giving both randle and ingram room to do their thing)...

Now, we have Lebron that pretty much runs his offense... Rondo is known to do that as well. Than we signed MB, who is legit scorer like Kuzma, but also doesn't exactly fit in walton's offense.
trablos
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2018 7:56 am    Post subject:

Not really a criticism, but Channing brings up an important challenge Luke is gonna face this year balancing minutes and shuffling lineups

Quote:
“Their young guys are crazy talented. The only worry I have is: They don’t have a guy that’s not expected to play, that is going to do the work. You need that one 15th man (James Jones)... You need a guy that is on par with your A-1, that is working harder than him to do nothing... That is respected and can hold people accountable. I don’t know who that is.

I think the communication is going to have to change with Kuz, and Josh Hart, and Zo and B.I. and big Zubac who I like a lot, Big Zu. Like, that’s five guys.

Now, my question is, as a person that’s been there, what happens to their development? Luke has to win, right? Are you going to play a guy that you don’t know what you’re going to get, or are you going to play Lance Stephenson, Michael Beasley, Bron, Rondo, JaVale McGee... You have to play the experience. So, what happens to these guys?”

https://www.silverscreenandroll.com/2018/7/27/17619826/la-lakers-channing-frye-luke-walton-lonzo-ball-kyle-kuzma-lebron-james-rajon-rondo-lance-stephenson
defense
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2018 8:04 am    Post subject:

Megaton wrote:
Randle threw a little shot at Luke.

https://mobile.twitter.com/hmfaigen/status/1017978226608488448?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw%7Ctwcamp%5Etweetembed%7Ctwterm%5E1017978226608488448&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fforums.realgm.com%2Fboards%2Fviewtopic.php%3Ft%3D1729058

I have two opinions on this.

1)If you have ever played organized basketball you will probably know that defense is mostly effort. Schemes matter, practice matters and repetition/ learning the opponent matters. All that said its mostly effort.

2)Randle had stretches where you could clearly see what he was capable of on defense. He also had stretches in all his years here where he seemed annoyed that he was asked to play defense.

Randle like Russell is gone because he couldn't get over himself...end of story. He seems entitled and a bit delusional.
pokoy

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2018 8:47 pm    Post subject:

Was listening to the Bill Simmons podcast with Ryen Russillo as his guest talking about NBA offseason winners and losers - and they mentioned something about it being obvious that Luke was not a fan of KCP, and that you could see that Luke didn't like playing him (but he had to I guess for Klutch, as a favor to Lebron?), and that re-signing KCP to another one year deal was a shot at Luke from the front office?

I don't remember this whole "Luke hates KCP" thing happening during the season unless I just missed it. Even here on LG, where we analyze every single eyebrow twitch of every player and what they could mean, I don't remember anyone saying that it was obvious Luke didn't like him. Was this really a thing?

Obviously, grain of salt here. Simmons and Russillo aren't going to see things from the Laker fan's point of view.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2018 9:09 pm    Post subject:

pokoy wrote:
Was listening to the Bill Simmons podcast with Ryen Russillo as his guest talking about NBA offseason winners and losers - and they mentioned something about it being obvious that Luke was not a fan of KCP, and that you could see that Luke didn't like playing him (but he had to I guess for Klutch, as a favor to Lebron?), and that re-signing KCP to another one year deal was a shot at Luke from the front office?

I don't remember this whole "Luke hates KCP" thing happening during the season unless I just missed it. Even here on LG, where we analyze every single eyebrow twitch of every player and what they could mean, I don't remember anyone saying that it was obvious Luke didn't like him. Was this really a thing?

Obviously, grain of salt here. Simmons and Russillo aren't going to see things from the Laker fan's point of view.

KCP got a lot of mins and he had more of a green light than anybody. I think Luke liked him a lot. I also remember a few times where Luke went out of his way to give credit to KCP after a game when the questions weren't coming in about him.

They hired Casey P as a shot to Luke is just about the dumbest thing I ever heard but what do you expect from Bill? He should tell us about it more on his HBO show.
epak
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2018 11:13 pm    Post subject:

2019 wrote:
pokoy wrote:

KCP got a lot of mins and he had more of a green light than anybody. I think Luke liked him a lot. I also remember a few times where Luke went out of his way to give credit to KCP after a game when the questions weren't coming in about him.

They hired Casey P as a shot to Luke is just about the dumbest thing I ever heard but what do you expect from Bill? He should tell us about it more on his HBO show.

That's what I hate about national guys who don't watch most of the lakers games. Besides the legal trouble, kcp was our most consistent player. Consistently decent. Luke even drew up late game shots for KCP.
Chronicle
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2018 11:42 pm    Post subject:

If anything Luke liked KCP too much...
pokoy

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2018 5:21 am    Post subject:

Yeah that's what I thought. I don't remember this being a thing at all (and yeah, if anything, I thought he liked him a little bit too much).

They did briefly mention some things that we normally talked about, like a quick mention of the Laker front office vs Aaron Mintz thing, so I thought they had somewhat of an ear to the ground, which is why I asked about this one. Just so out of the blue it seemed like.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
LakerLanny
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2018 6:18 am    Post subject:

2019 wrote:

Simmons cancelled HBO Show made the "The Magic Hour" look like the Tonight Show by comparison.

Watching Simmons in front of the camera was like witnessing a real life version of the Flop Sweat scene in the movie Broadcast News.
Four Decade Bandwagon
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2018 7:01 am    Post subject:

trablos wrote:
Not really a criticism, but Channing brings up an important challenge Luke is gonna face this year balancing minutes and shuffling lineups

Quote:
“Their young guys are crazy talented. The only worry I have is: They don’t have a guy that’s not expected to play, that is going to do the work. You need that one 15th man (James Jones)... You need a guy that is on par with your A-1, that is working harder than him to do nothing... That is respected and can hold people accountable. I don’t know who that is.

I think the communication is going to have to change with Kuz, and Josh Hart, and Zo and B.I. and big Zubac who I like a lot, Big Zu. Like, that’s five guys.

Now, my question is, as a person that’s been there, what happens to their development? Luke has to win, right? Are you going to play a guy that you don’t know what you’re going to get, or are you going to play Lance Stephenson, Michael Beasley, Bron, Rondo, JaVale McGee... You have to play the experience. So, what happens to these guys?”

https://www.silverscreenandroll.com/2018/7/27/17619826/la-lakers-channing-frye-luke-walton-lonzo-ball-kyle-kuzma-lebron-james-rajon-rondo-lance-stephenson

This is a great point concerning Walton's challenges this year. Managing the player's expectations.

I love the depth on this team. Makes for a highly competitive team as long as the players all buy-in to the philosophy. Can Walton manage the personalities and competition for mpg?

On a nightly basis someone is likely going to be sitting in street clothes that feels he doesn't deserve to be so. Someone is going to feel slighted that they are not getting their opportunity. Does not matter if it is the young player trying to establish himself or a vet that feels entitled to his playing time. There will be some bruised egos and disgruntled players to deal with all season long.

How Walton manages that will be even more important then the Xs and Os of the systems they run. Hopefully the players buy-in and work hard together. Can be special if they do. Or as some have pointed out, it could become a complete clusterf**k if they don't.

Have confidence Walton can handle it. Wish him luck though, it won't be easy!
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2018 7:14 am    Post subject:

pokoy wrote:
Yeah that's what I thought. I don't remember this being a thing at all (and yeah, if anything, I thought he liked him a little bit too much).

They did briefly mention some things that we normally talked about, like a quick mention of the Laker front office vs Aaron Mintz thing, so I thought they had somewhat of an ear to the ground, which is why I asked about this one. Just so out of the blue it seemed like.

I never noticed anything that would suggest Luke had an issue with KCP. If there is rumors out there, I would guess emplay or GT would have heard something during the season.
pokoy

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2018 7:10 am    Post subject:

Might be old news because it references an interview from 4 days ago, but just saw on Silver Screen and Roll - Barkley's somewhat on the same page as Channing Frye, and he's not all wrong (which I mean, it is Charles Barkley so that's surprising).

Quote:

“That’s an impossible scenario for Luke,” he said. “He’s got LeBron who is going to do things his way. He’s got those young kids who are probably in awe of LeBron. He’s got those older guys who are going to try to seek attention. I don’t think Lance and Rondo are going there to be the ninth or 10th guys on the bench and be quiet all year. They’re going to want touches.”

The chief long-term risk of this approach, he argued, was stunting the growth of recent draft picks like Brandon Ingram, Lonzo Ball, Kyle Kuzma and Josh Hart.

“I don’t like what [the Lakers] are doing,” Barkley continued, during a promotional interview for his new deal with Panini America. “It’s going to take away from their young nucleus. They’ve got some good young players. You’re trying to set up Lonzo, Ingram, Kuzma. With all that other stuff going on, I don’t know if that’s a good environment for those kids.”

Really hoping Luke sets expectations with the non-LBJ vets this season. The priority is the young guys. And I really hope Luke doesn't Randle the kids this season at the cost of just a few early regular season wins. Get them acclimated to playing with Lebron as early as possible. Should be playing the long game here - but unfortunately for Luke he is going to be in the hot seat if things go awry early. I do not envy him at all.
audioaxes
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2018 7:33 am    Post subject:

not too concerned with Lebron. He gets a bit of a pass to do what he wants and thats fine since he wants to play the basketball the right way... even PJ let Kobe have a good amount of leeway while other players lower on the pecking order had varying degrees of how hard PJ would clamp down on them.
I am concerned with Lance and Rondo. I see Lance as a end of bench guy who racks up DNPs and plays only spot minutes to rough up the likes of Curry and Harden. Rondo, maybe 14-20mpg. If these 2 start whining is Luke going to relent and give these players more minutes over ones who will actually be returning in 2020?
ElginBaylor
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2018 7:33 am    Post subject:

Figuring out first and second units is what happens during training camp, but I predict it will be something like LBJ, KCP, McGee, Zo, and BI as starters with Kuz, Rondo, Hart, Lance and Zu as the second unit. Sure Luke's got a tough job managing everyone's minutes but that's what he's paid to do. This will be a make or break season for him as Lakers H.C. but personally I think he's up for the challenge.
pokoy

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2018 7:38 am    Post subject:

audioaxes wrote:
not too concerned with Lebron. He gets a bit of a pass to do what he wants and thats fine since he wants to play the basketball the right way... even PJ let Kobe have a good amount of leeway while other players lower on the pecking order had varying degrees of how hard PJ would clamp down on them.
I am concerned with Lance and Rondo. I see Lance as a end of bench guy who racks up DNPs and plays only spot minutes to rough up the likes of Curry and Harden. Rondo, maybe 14-20mpg. If these 2 start whining is Luke going to relent and give these players more minutes over ones who will actually be returning in 2020?

Yeah, that's what I'm thinking. In theory 14-20 minutes per game for Rondo is ideal but in practice, I'm not seeing him be happy with that... Though maybe Luke can tell him look, rest up for the playoffs. He maybe gets 24 minutes then.

If Lance does become a problem just cut him. I feel he is the most unnecessary/redundant of all the signings.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2018 7:43 am    Post subject:

LakerLanny wrote:
2019 wrote:

Simmons cancelled HBO Show made the "The Magic Hour" look like the Tonight Show by comparison.

Watching Simmons in front of the camera was like witnessing a real life version of the Flop Sweat scene in the movie Broadcast News.
'

Yup... that was my joke for the day lol. He was god awful.

I will say this, get ready for all the national media, SAS, Skip, Simmons, etc, to pounce all over Luke if we lose 3 in a row. They're sharpening their harpoons now. The best angle they can find to create drama this year will be Luke versus LeBron of things get off to a shaky start.

Be warned fellow Laker fans.
Four Decade Bandwagon
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2018 7:51 am    Post subject:

My expectation is there will be some drama and bruised egos. The important part is how the team and Walton deal with it.

Laker teams have so much scrutiny that it is inevitable that at some point there will be some issues. The heightened James drama just adds to that mix. Too many outspoken wild cards on this team for there not to be some friction throughout the season.

Walton will have his hands full with this roster. He will be heavily criticized at some point. How he handles it and maybe more importantly how Magic and James handle it will be interesting.

Will Walton have the authority and confidence to run the team as he sees fit or will he be undermined by second guessing and thrown under the bus by James' media mouthpiece Windhorst.

This season is going to be entertaining for so many reasons!
Ziggy
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2018 8:09 am    Post subject:

The minutes distribution won't be as difficult as the national media thinks. We are basically playing without a true center, so that opens up some minutes for Luke to experiment. I'll be surprised if Javale plays more than 15mpg, so we'll be playing small for about 30mpg. Plus Luke likes to rotate out 5 guys at a time. I'm not worried about how Luke will distribute the minutes.
pokoy

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2018 8:52 am    Post subject:

Ziggy wrote:
The minutes distribution won't be as difficult as the national media thinks. We are basically playing without a true center, so that opens up some minutes for Luke to experiment. I'll be surprised if Javale plays more than 15mpg, so we'll be playing small for about 30mpg. Plus Luke likes to rotate out 5 guys at a time. I'm not worried about how Luke will distribute the minutes.

Reason why I'm worried about how Luke will be distributing minutes is because it took him a good third or so of the season to figure out that playing Julius Randle more was actually a good thing. Whatever rut or sulking episodes he had - while it may not have been the consumate Larry Nance type professional type of reaction coaches want - it was completely understandable because he competed hard for maybe 10 mins a game, made an impact, then would get buried on the bench for the rest of the game. There was a lot of head scratching on our part here, to the point that I remember there were conspiracy theories on maybe the front office mandating Luke not play him a certain amount of minutes or start him because it might make his contract harder to manage at season's end. It was just weird.

Anyway, maybe the front office can get in front of this potential drama by just saying Luke will be the head coach regardless (even if it's not true).
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 550, 551, 552 ... 816, 817, 818  Next
Page 551 of 818
Jump to: