Would you rather have high taste or average taste?

View previous topic :: View next topic  

which one?
enjoy a lot of things even if they're only "pretty good"
50%
 50%  [ 5 ]
enjoy only the best things even if instances are very infrequent
50%
 50%  [ 5 ]
Total Votes : 10

loslakersss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 7:15 am    Post subject: Would you rather have high taste or average taste?

So I was watching Succession on HBO and when one of the characters wants to go to California Pizza Kitchen the other character laughs at how he has bad taste and needs to eat actual good food to know what he is missing.

This along with realizing pretty much every movie I've seen this year has been worse than I had hoped (while so many others loved the movies) made me question which would be better.

Would I rather be a person that loved CPK and movies like Jurassic World or a person with a more refined taste which made instances of enjoyment less frequent but when I came across something really good it it would be much more enjoyable than the CPK was to the other guy?

What's your opinion on this? I know there's a lot of LG'ers with high taste in art/food/music/film/etc. so I think I already know how this poll is gonna go.
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 8:29 am    Post subject:

1. Succession is really a fantastic show. I love it so much and can't believe nobody is talking about it. Guys it's on HBO Sunday nights. Check it out.

2. I'm guessing your disappointment in some of these movies is a result of what movies you're seeing and the hype they generate before they're released. I can't recommend enough to employ the practice of avoiding knowing anything about a movie before going in as much as you possibly can. It changed my life. I promise you will enjoy things more. Also, when a bloated franchise releases it's 75th iteration, and the last 63 weren't good, just skip it no matter how much it gets pumped up. There's no universe in which Jurassic World was going to be worthwhile.

3. It doesn't really matter whether your tastes are perceived as high, middle, or low brow. I like stuff across that entire spectrum. Enjoy what you enjoy and be thoughtful about it. If you like something you've won.
audioaxes
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 9:12 am    Post subject:

Im a bit of both. I stick my nose up at alot of basic stuff like Mcdonalds, BK, Taco Bell level places. And then I stick my nose up at some casual restaurants too like Applebees, Chilis.
However there is some basic/casual places I dont mind like Wendys, Popeyes, Claim Jumpers.
And I dont just blindly love more higher tier stuff too... Im very quick to question if that $50 entree was really worth the price and hype.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 9:55 am    Post subject:

Liking more things increases the chances of being happy. I can enjoy a nice lamb chop with mushroom risotto as well as a quarter pounder from McDonald’s.
LakersRGolden
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 12:47 pm    Post subject:

Grew up poor and 've had some success in life at times. So, I question the value of everything but I've been able to try things across the spectrum.

I find I don't need to turn up my nose at average to enjoy special and that when special becomes your everyday it loses any of the happiness it used to bring.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 3:50 pm    Post subject:

interesting question

I like things that are considered low, average, and high. I don't care too much what there perceived status is. If I enjoy it then it's awesome to me
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Ujah's Goat
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2018 8:52 pm    Post subject:

When it comes to food I only eat out a few times a week - but I buy only organic/non-gmo foods for the house. Since I don't eat out much I can go to the fanciest brunch in town with mimosas and a candlelight wine dinner with my wife with 0 guilt about what I'm spending, all while having excellent quality food waiting for us at home. This makes us happy physically, mentally, and financially.

Movie/shows/books wise, I'm a snob. Plain and simple. I am particular about what I would find good or great. However, I greatly enjoy balancing different aspects of what I'm consuming to understand why I do or don't like it. Case in point: MCU movies. I like seeing my favorite comic book heroes on the big screen, though many times I have issues with the plot and pacing of the movies and never re-watch. Books wise I enjoy plays, poems, graphic novels, manga, whatever. However, similar to movies, I need a compelling plot along with good pacing, dialogue, characters, and themes to thoroughly enjoy.

Quality over quantity every time. Though I have to admit, I do considerably turn down my "taste" when I'm with friends. Because at the end of the day I'd still watch Jurassic World with them

I believe in enjoying things as frequently as possible. So long as it makes sense to your lifestyle
Huey Lewis & The News
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2018 10:07 pm    Post subject:

We each have our things we enjoy that are objectively crap. Like what you like and don't G.A.F. how people perceive it. On the other hand, don't come into a debate and try to argue that your thing isn't a mediocre product.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: