Anthony Irwin Of Locked On Lakers (and other podcasts)
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rancar
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 10:31 am    Post subject: Anthony Irwin Of Locked On Lakers (and other podcasts)

Is Anthony a terrible host or am I just in a bad mood? IMO he's uninteresting and lacks BB knowledge. From time to time I'll listen to other "Locked On" shows and even the small market ones (Sac,Hornets,etc) are superior to ours. Anthony's quantity over quality mentality makes it so most of the shows are terrible.

I love the LakerFilmRoom guy, so I only listen when he's on.

What do you guys think of Anthony and Lock On Lakers Podcast?

Last edited by rancar on Mon Jul 23, 2018 11:29 am; edited 1 time in total
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 10:33 am    Post subject: Re: Anthony Irwin Of Locked On Lakers

rancar wrote:
Is Anthony a terrible host or am I just in a bad mood? IMO he's uninteresting and lacks BB knowledge. From time to time I'll listen to other "Locked On" shows and even the small market ones (Sac,Hornets,etc) are superior to ours. Anthony's quantity of quality mentality makes it so most of the shows are terrible.

\

You know the LakerFilmRoom "guy" is LG's very own GT, right?
epak
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 10:34 am    Post subject:

I'll be seeing you join us in the P&M thread soon
http://forums.lakersground.net/viewtopic.php?t=185319&start=50

Wolverine
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 10:36 am    Post subject:

I only listen to his podcasts with Pete (LakerFilmRoom/GoldenThroat) but I do like him as a radio host.
rancar
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 10:39 am    Post subject: Re: Anthony Irwin Of Locked On Lakers

yinoma2001 wrote:
rancar wrote:
Is Anthony a terrible host or am I just in a bad mood? IMO he's uninteresting and lacks BB knowledge. From time to time I'll listen to other "Locked On" shows and even the small market ones (Sac,Hornets,etc) are superior to ours. Anthony's quantity of quality mentality makes it so most of the shows are terrible.

\

You know the LakerFilmRoom "guy" is LG's very own GT, right?

Yeah, I know. He's legit.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 10:46 am    Post subject: Re: Anthony Irwin Of Locked On Lakers

rancar wrote:

I quit auto downloading a year ago....now I look and see who is on with him....if he is going solo, I miss that episode. I am sure he is a nice enough guy....and honestly he has improved from what I can tell recently when he has GT or someone like that on....but there was a time when it was just him and Faigen, it was clear he made zero effort to have a clue what was going on. He was never prepared, constantly had to be corrected, and attempted to use annoying humor to cover the mistakes. To be clear....during that period, Faigen took it more serious and put effort into the show.

I have listened to some of the other Locked On pods after the team would play the Lakers, and some of them are very solid. Honestly not sure how Irwin has been able to keep his spot on the podcast.
StillSWOL
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 10:52 am    Post subject:

Actually like him better than Lakers Nation podcast (Trevor and Tanya are not listenable), LOLakers is actually pretty good, I like how they bring on other podcaster’s from other teams to get different perspectives

Pete(GT) and Darius is the best damn Pod cast there is, it's must listen every time it drops, if your not listening to them your doing Laker Famdom wrong

Last edited by StillSWOL on Mon Jul 23, 2018 10:56 am; edited 1 time in total
Villain6Activated
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 10:54 am    Post subject:

I don't know but the only podcast guys I legit hate are Nate Duncan and Danny LeRoux. The (bleep) they say is annoying, the way they say it is annoying, how they look is annoying.

How I feel about them:

rancar
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 10:54 am    Post subject: Re: Anthony Irwin Of Locked On Lakers

adkindo wrote:
rancar wrote:

I quit auto downloading a year ago....now I look and see who is on with him....if he is going solo, I miss that episode. I am sure he is a nice enough guy....and honestly he has improved from what I can tell recently when he has GT or someone like that on....but there was a time when it was just him and Faigen, it was clear he made zero effort to have a clue what was going on. He was never prepared, constantly had to be corrected, and attempted to use annoying humor to cover the mistakes. To be clear....during that period, Faigen took it more serious and put effort into the show.

I have listened to some of the other Locked On pods after the team would play the Lakers, and some of them are very solid. Honestly not sure how Irwin has been able to keep his spot on the podcast.

Exactly, you hit the nail on the head. Imo GT is hurting his brand by appearing on the show. I hate to say that because I love him on the show, but even he seems a lot less interesting when paired with Irwin.
Rubin
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 10:57 am    Post subject:

I generally enjoy three primary qualities for NBA podcast hosts:

1. At least somewhat plugged into the general NBA landscape, if not an actual “insider”. Shares insights about what is and might be happening.
2. Knowledgeable about the game and gives objective, thorough analysis about player transactions and team makeup.
3. Generally enjoyable to listen to.

Irwin checks none of those boxes for me. When Feigen was co-hosting I listened almost daily. Now I don’t listen unless Pete is on.
rancar
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 10:58 am    Post subject:

StillSWOL wrote:
Actually like him better than Lakers Nation podcast, LOLakers is actually pretty good, I like how they bring on other podcaster’s from other teams to get different perspectives

Pete(GT) and Darius is the best damn Pod cast there is, it's must listen every time it drops, if your not listening to them your doing Laker Famdom wrong

Yup, I only wish LakerFilmRoom would post new shows more often. I wish Darius could/would replace Anthony, but I don't think that's going to happen anytime soon.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 11:01 am    Post subject:

StillSWOL wrote:
Actually like him better than Lakers Nation podcast

not the highest of bars....imo, the best Lakers focused podcasts are...

1. LFR (information)
2. Kamenetzky Brothers (humor/entertaining)
3. Lakers Legacy Podcast (just a couple fans talking....not trying to be something they are not)

* America's Lakers Podcast is well produced....but being the "official" Lakers podcast, think it leans a little too much company line
GoldenThroat

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 11:07 am    Post subject:

Rubin
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 11:08 am    Post subject:

StillSWOL wrote:
Actually like him better than Lakers Nation podcast (Trevor and Tanya are not listenable), LOLakers is actually pretty good, I like how they bring on other podcaster’s from other teams to get different perspectives

Totally agree — I don’t even subscribe to Lakers Nation (btw the female co-host is named Hannah, not Tania. Imagine you’re thinking of Tania Ganguli, who is a great writer for the LA Times).

Also agree that Pete and Darius are awesome. Wish they did more shows
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 11:10 am    Post subject:

Rubin wrote:
I generally enjoy three primary qualities for NBA podcast hosts:

1. At least somewhat plugged into the general NBA landscape, if not an actual “insider”. Shares insights about what is and might be happening.
2. Knowledgeable about the game and gives objective, thorough analysis about player transactions and team makeup.
3. Generally enjoyable to listen to.

Irwin checks none of those boxes for me. When Feigen was co-hosting I listened almost daily. Now I don’t listen unless Pete is on.

I would add produces "regular" episodes. If your a weekly show....put out a weekly show, or give the listeners a heads up that is may be a slow period or something. Not sure if you ever listen to Tim Bontemps Posting Up podcast....he is kind of an "oscar the grouch" type, but often has solid info/guests....but dude finishes every show telling listeners that he is about to get back on track and put out more content over the next few weeks....has some episodes and guests lined up......then it may be a month or longer before he does another podcast.
StnlyRoper
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 11:17 am    Post subject:

I can't listen to him cry about the D'angelo Russell trade anymore. I left when Faigen did.

Lakers Film Room is the only strictly Lakers pod I listen to anymore. I wish they were more frequent but GT is already working like a Jamaican so I understand.

I can't remember an episode where he didn't CRY about one thing or the other. I can't tell which person he is on the board, but I know he's lurking on here somewhere. I've narrowed it down to MJST, Adkindo, BVH, VLF and a couple other dudes I can't think of right now.
Judah
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 11:18 am    Post subject:

Irwin is awful. It's fascinating just how much discussion I've seen the last two weeks or so amongst fans, all saying that they're basically done with him. I've always wondered how he manages to get media access to the team. He's even been around the Spectrum crew. They must not be as familiar with him as they should be....
44TheLogo
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 11:19 am    Post subject:

StnlyRoper wrote:
I've narrowed it down to MJST, Adkindo, BVH, VLF and a couple other dudes I can't think of right now.

LMFAO
GoldenThroat

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 11:22 am    Post subject:

I'm flattered that people want more pods from me & Darius, and I want that too. I'm gonna talk to him about it to see what we can do. The pod has always been more fun than career for me, but there's no reason it can't be both.

I'd like to get to twice a week once training camp starts, but there are obstacles to that.
Jellojigglin
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 11:22 am    Post subject: Re: Anthony Irwin Of Locked On Lakers

rancar wrote:

What show have you ever hosted?
rancar
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 11:23 am    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
StillSWOL wrote:
Actually like him better than Lakers Nation podcast

not the highest of bars....imo, the best Lakers focused podcasts are...

1. LFR (information)
2. Kamenetzky Brothers (humor/entertaining)
3. Lakers Legacy Podcast (just a couple fans talking....not trying to be something they are not)

* America's Lakers Podcast is well produced....but being the "official" Lakers podcast, think it leans a little too much company line

The Kamenetzky Brothers are great when they talk about basketball. When they aren't talking about basketball, they come across as weird and pervy.

Lakers Legacy Pod was great when we had all those 2nd overall picks. I enjoyed sharing the anticipation with them not knowing if we were going to keep the picks or not. I followed them on Twitter, but they where cringe central.
818fan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 11:24 am    Post subject:

GoldenThroat wrote:
I'm flattered that people want more pods from me & Darius, and I want that too. I'm gonna talk to him about it to see what we can do. The pod has always been more fun than career for me, but there's no reason it can't be both.

I'd like to get to twice a week once training camp starts, but there are obstacles to that.

Please yes that would be amazing
epak
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 11:24 am    Post subject: Re: Anthony Irwin Of Locked On Lakers

44TheLogo wrote:
StnlyRoper wrote:
I've narrowed it down to MJST, Adkindo, BVH, VLF and a couple other dudes I can't think of right now.

LMFAO

Might not be any of them... I think we've narrowed it down to ...

Jellojigglin wrote:
rancar wrote:

What show have you ever hosted?

Last edited by epak on Mon Jul 23, 2018 11:27 am; edited 2 times in total
Judah
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 11:26 am    Post subject:

44TheLogo wrote:
StnlyRoper wrote:

LMFAO

AFireInside619
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 11:27 am    Post subject:

GoldenThroat wrote:

Rancar. Meet GoldenThroat. aka GT. aka Pete. aka Laker Film Room. aka your Mod!

Now I don’t always agree with Anthony, he is a very good host. I look forward to his shows. He does Locked On NBA too, so get used to him.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4
Jump to: