Are the Lakers Wasting a Year of LBJ's "Prime?"
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11, 12  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Are the Lakers Wasting a Year of LBJ's Prime?
Yes. We should have traded for another all-star and/or veteran players. Can't waste LBJ's final prime years.
10%
 10%  [ 17 ]
No. Part of the process is to be patient and assess our young core with LBJ. He signed a 4 year deal for a reason.
89%
 89%  [ 152 ]
Total Votes : 169

yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2018 1:55 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
Jesusdelonla wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
I guess people get tied to young players and forget about the team. We challenge Houston for the 2 seed with George, we don’t with Ingram.

yeah challenging #2 is not enough. you make that move if you have championships on lock.

Ingram will be maybe 23/24 when warriors are done in next 3/4years

George's best case scenario is #2 option. meh

And Lebron could very well be done by then. If we don’t want to maximize having him now then that is a choice the FO has to make. And there is a good chance Indy prefers Olidipo and Sabonis over Ingram. But making the offer might have changed what happened in free agency.

No. Because if a player is so weak minded to eschew a team that he openly told teammates he was interested in joining bc they didn’t empty out their young talent cupboard then nothing would have changed his decision to stay in OKC.

From his own mouth the issue he had was that we didn’t try to trade for him. Making a failed serious attempt might have given him the love he wanted and he might have come here. It wasn’t not trading for him, it was not trying.

We did try to trade for him. This is his way of spinning things to justify what happened.
Number 7
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2018 1:57 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
Jesusdelonla wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
I guess people get tied to young players and forget about the team. We challenge Houston for the 2 seed with George, we don’t with Ingram.

yeah challenging #2 is not enough. you make that move if you have championships on lock.

Ingram will be maybe 23/24 when warriors are done in next 3/4years

George's best case scenario is #2 option. meh

And Lebron could very well be done by then. If we don’t want to maximize having him now then that is a choice the FO has to make. And there is a good chance Indy prefers Olidipo and Sabonis over Ingram. But making the offer might have changed what happened in free agency.

No. Because if a player is so weak minded to eschew a team that he openly told teammates he was interested in joining bc they didn’t empty out their young talent cupboard then nothing would have changed his decision to stay in OKC.

From his own mouth the issue he had was that we didn’t try to trade for him. Making a failed serious attempt might have given him the love he wanted and he might have come here. It wasn’t not trading for him, it was not trying.

We did try to trade for him. This is his way of spinning things to justify what happened.

Exactly. Actions speak louder than words. The thing we know for sure is he preferred OKC over the Lakers, so all the talk about him feeling slighted is nonsense.
BruceLeroy1985
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2018 3:35 pm    Post subject:

No because he is past his prime
King Randle
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2018 4:53 pm    Post subject:

24Legend007 wrote:
King Randle wrote:
I’m sorry but I think they can contend this year. I love this team...everything about it. Especially the depth. Deepest team I can remember.

To be fair, Cavs fans were saying the same thing at the beginning of last season.

They made it to the finals. I’d be estatic if we got to the WC finals.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2018 5:49 pm    Post subject:

BruceLeroy1985 wrote:

Many players have a rapid decline from 34-38, quite often due to injury. I hope we get at least two solid back of his prime years from him. It will be fun to watch.
Burner Account
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2018 6:25 pm    Post subject:

I take issue with the very title of this thread. Lebron knew what he was signing up for, a year of developing our core players loong after Lebron is gone should never be considered a waste, and NOBODY is beating GS next year. Lastly, it's not like the Lakers are here for LeBron, it's LeBron is here for the LAKERS!
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2018 8:23 am    Post subject:

Agree, Lebron got what he wanted.
governator
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2018 8:29 am    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
Agree, Lebron got what he wanted.

And Lakers got what we wanted, work for both sides
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2018 11:02 am    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
BruceLeroy1985 wrote:

Many players have a rapid decline from 34-38, quite often due to injury. I hope we get at least two solid back of his prime years from him. It will be fun to watch.

Many players do have a rapid decline after age 34, but you can't predict what will happen with any specific player. There have been players who have played at an MVP/all-NBA level through age 38, so I am hoping for four strong years from Lebron.
24Legend007
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2018 4:02 pm    Post subject:

King Randle wrote:
24Legend007 wrote:
King Randle wrote:
I’m sorry but I think they can contend this year. I love this team...everything about it. Especially the depth. Deepest team I can remember.

To be fair, Cavs fans were saying the same thing at the beginning of last season.

They made it to the finals. I’d be estatic if we got to the WC finals.

Oh I do think Lebron "can" get us to the WCF.
blackmamba08
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2018 10:16 pm    Post subject:

He didn't come to LAL to win. That's obvious. He came for his business. And because of that he is not worried that much about the team or if they can win next year or not. This was strictly the business decision.
And the reason I think like this is the fact that he had the possibility to sing for Rockets and he decided to come to the young team but in LA.
E=MC²
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2018 11:17 pm    Post subject:

I completely disagree with the sentiment that LeBron didn't come to LA to win. He cares about his legacy, he will do all possible to win.
Judah
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2018 11:54 pm    Post subject:

E=MC² wrote:
I completely disagree with the sentiment that LeBron didn't come to LA to win. He cares about his legacy, he will do all possible to win.

Right. I don't know why anyone would look at it in such a one dimensional way. It doesn't have to be an either or thing between winning and business. It can and is both. If it was just about being in LA he could've chosen the Clippers. The Lakers are the better basketball situation.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2018 5:24 am    Post subject:

Quote:
sing for Rockets

Quote:
Oh, no, no, no, I'm a rocket man
Rocket man, burning out his fuse up here alone

adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2018 5:33 am    Post subject:

blackmamba08 wrote:
He didn't come to LAL to win. That's obvious. He came for his business. And because of that he is not worried that much about the team or if they can win next year or not. This was strictly the business decision.
And the reason I think like this is the fact that he had the possibility to sing for Rockets and he decided to come to the young team but in LA.

it is never strictly or 100% anything...these are life decisions, and always more complex that we externally believe. I am confident that whatever brought him to the Lakers will not stand in the way of him giving his best to try to win.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2018 5:59 am    Post subject:

blackmamba08 wrote:

How about them Clippers? Why didn't he just sign there?
PengShow
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2018 6:10 am    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
blackmamba08 wrote:

it is never strictly or 100% anything...these are life decisions, and always more complex that we externally believe. I am confident that whatever brought him to the Lakers will not stand in the way of him giving his best to try to win.

I don't think Bron's nature is to basically give up on this season anyway, especially so when there's people who are questioning his decision to join the Lakers.

He himself and the team has a point to prove, it should be interesting viewing throughout the season.
Vancouver Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2018 6:11 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
blackmamba08 wrote:

Lol. It's the Clippers.
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2018 6:14 am    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
blackmamba08 wrote:

Yup, especially when Lebron doesn't need to come to the Lakers for his business.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2018 6:21 am    Post subject:

Vancouver Fan wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
blackmamba08 wrote:

Lol. It's the Clippers.

But it isn't about "winning," right?
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2018 6:40 am    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
blackmamba08 wrote:

While that's true, if a major motivation for Lebron was pursuing the movie/TV business in LA, that's a potential issue. Exhibit A is Shaq. He wanted to make movies when he came to LA. His attention was divided in the early years.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2018 6:43 am    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
adkindo wrote:
blackmamba08 wrote:

While that's true, if a major motivation for Lebron was pursuing the movie/TV business in LA, that's a potential issue. Exhibit A is Shaq. He wanted to make movies when he came to LA. His attention was divided in the early years.

I think the difference is Shaq was younger and had a history of not exactly being in the best shape. He was a physical freak and coasted on that for years.

LBJ is an older player who has always been serious about his craft. I agree he will have some attention turned to his business, but I don't think it'll reach a point where he has to effectively choose one or the other, or his basketball craft will be on the backburner.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2018 7:01 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
LBJ is an older player who has always been serious about his craft. I agree he will have some attention turned to his business, but I don't think it'll reach a point where he has to effectively choose one or the other, or his basketball craft will be on the backburner.

Eh. At this level, the margins are tiny. A 1% distraction may be noticeable, and a 5% distraction may be critical. I’m not making any predictions, and I don’t claim to have insights into Lebron’s mindset. But I think some of you are too quick to dismiss this issue. Last year may have been an Indian summer season for Lebron. He had a number of motivations for going all out — last chance to win a title at home, the departure of Kyrie, etc. We’ll find out whether he has the same fire here. Ask me in January, when the novelty of playing for a new team has worn off.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2018 7:10 am    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

Eh. At this level, the margins are tiny. A 1% distraction may be noticeable, and a 5% distraction may be critical. I’m not making any predictions, and I don’t claim to have insights into Lebron’s mindset. But I think some of you are too quick to dismiss this issue. Last year may have been an Indian summer season for Lebron. He had a number of motivations for going all out — last chance to win a title at home, the departure of Kyrie, etc. We’ll find out whether he has the same fire here. Ask me in January, when the novelty of playing for a new team has worn off.

We're not dismissing the issue. Of course he's here for some business reasons. But he's had a track record of taking care of his body (spending 7 figures a year to do so). I can buy the notion for one season, he's hitting a reset button (8 finals in a row is probably physically/mentally exhausting). But a 4 year deal tells me that he sees a long game here too. Now, if in 2019-20, he's disinterested in basketball, yes we have a problem.

But I think the team will be amassing its true championship roster in 2019 (hopefully with a healthy KL or Klay). I wouldn't put all my eggs in one basket prognosticating and extrapolating about LBJ's intentions after his first season here.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2018 7:22 am    Post subject:

Again, I am not making any predictions, and I do not claim any insight into Lebron’s mindset. But I reacted to the four year deal differently than a lot of other people. It struck me as a retirement contract. Rather than signing another short term deal, he signed a four year deal with Lakers National Bank, moved his family to LA, and started the transition to his second career. This does not mean that he is going to be a paycheck guy for four years, or that he is suddenly going to become a slacker.. However, I don’t buy the narrative that he sees a long game here, because I don’t think he expects to be playing in four years.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11, 12  Next
Page 10 of 12
Jump to: