Are the Lakers Wasting a Year of LBJ's "Prime?"
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 10, 11, 12  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Are the Lakers Wasting a Year of LBJ's Prime?
Yes. We should have traded for another all-star and/or veteran players. Can't waste LBJ's final prime years.
10%
 10%  [ 17 ]
No. Part of the process is to be patient and assess our young core with LBJ. He signed a 4 year deal for a reason.
89%
 89%  [ 152 ]
Total Votes : 169

Four Decade Bandwagon
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2018 7:50 am    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
LBJ is an older player who has always been serious about his craft. I agree he will have some attention turned to his business, but I don't think it'll reach a point where he has to effectively choose one or the other, or his basketball craft will be on the backburner.

Eh. At this level, the margins are tiny. A 1% distraction may be noticeable, and a 5% distraction may be critical. I’m not making any predictions, and I don’t claim to have insights into Lebron’s mindset. But I think some of you are too quick to dismiss this issue. Last year may have been an Indian summer season for Lebron. He had a number of motivations for going all out — last chance to win a title at home, the departure of Kyrie, etc. We’ll find out whether he has the same fire here. Ask me in January, when the novelty of playing for a new team has worn off.

Part of this discussion of James'motivation that I think is important is the development and progress of the young players. How invested is he in teaching them and handing over the reins to the next generation?

IMO the key at this point is the transition. James has a timeline. How well will he play for how long? Can the current young players earn the respect and play at a level worthy of that responsibility? Do the Lakers need to add a player to be the next leader of the team? How much does James ego affect the transition?

How the roster is built, chemistry and how they compete will tie in directly to how motivated James will be these final years. The distractions of being a mega star will be there but how he handles the transition will define his tenure in L.A. and very possibly how competitive they are during this James path the next few years.

A lot of variables to consider when discussing how motivated James can or will be. Have to admit it will be damn entertaining to watch this play out.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2018 8:06 am    Post subject:

I'm sure the FO would have obliged if LBJ wanted our youngsters traded for proven vets, but they didn't do that and at least publicly, LBJ is lauding the youngsters and seems excited to play with them. That's a good start.

Whether that holds come February we'll see.
Four Decade Bandwagon
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2018 8:27 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
I'm sure the FO would have obliged if LBJ wanted our youngsters traded for proven vets, but they didn't do that and at least publicly, LBJ is lauding the youngsters and seems excited to play with them. That's a good start.

I agree. Honestly was not what I expected. So far I could not be happier with the way this has played out. There is a cynical voice in my head that keeps telling me "just wait" though.

Was watching a segment with Stephen A. making it sound like a bad thing that the Lakers were "not able " to land Carmelo, Wade and CP3 over the summer. These (and the Leonard Now pov ) are the kind of rants that continue to worry me.

Those James comments about the young deep roster hopefully thrives. I was skeptical that James was signing to be the mentor but so far so good. Up to the young players and to some extent the 1 yr vets to prove worthy of his confidence.

I am seeing some possibilities with this roster. Still need to prove it on the court.
AFireInside619
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2018 8:27 am    Post subject:

Lebron didn’t come to the Lakers to win is the dumbest NBA take of the year. Will it help his brand being a Laker, yes. Did his family and friends want to be here, yes. Did he come here just to “break in” the movie industry? Like Rich Paul said, he’s Lebron James. He doesn’t need to live in LA just to make movies. He’s here because it’s what makes him happy. And if anyone have seen our young guys play, they know that these kids have potential to be special. No one in this organization is here to lose.
AFireInside619
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2018 8:29 am    Post subject:

Four Decade Bandwagon wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

I agree. Honestly was not what I expected. So far I could not be happier with the way this has played out. There is a cynical voice in my head that keeps telling me "just wait" though.

Was watching a segment with Stephen A. making it sound like a bad thing that the Lakers were "not able " to land Carmelo, Wade and CP3 over the summer. These (and the Leonard Now pov ) are the kind of rants that continue to worry me.

Those James comments about the young deep roster hopefully thrives. I was skeptical that James was signing to be the mentor but so far so good. Up to the young players and to some extent the 1 yr vets to prove worthy of his confidence.

I am seeing some possibilities with this roster. Still need to prove it on the court.

It’s up to the young guys now. And trust me, If the young guys aren’t showing up, Magic will move them long before Lebron has to say anything. That’s for damn sure.
€H£M£$TR¥
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2018 9:47 am    Post subject:

governator wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
Agree, Lebron got what he wanted.

And Lakers got what we wanted, work for both sides

And the League along with all of the other teams and their sponsors will reap the financial benefits; so yeah, everyone wins.
Barry Seal
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2018 9:59 am    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
I guess people get tied to young players and forget about the team. We challenge Houston for the 2 seed with George, we don’t with Ingram.

What? Joe Ingles son would have folded like a cheap suit in a Lakers uniform
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2018 10:07 am    Post subject:

E=MC² wrote:
I completely disagree with the sentiment that LeBron didn't come to LA to win. He cares about his legacy, he will do all possible to win.

And in his own words winning titles doesn’t define who he is.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2018 10:10 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
blackmamba08 wrote:
He didn't come to LAL to win. That's obvious. He came for his business. And because of that he is not worried that much about the team or if they can win next year or not. This was strictly the business decision.
And the reason I think like this is the fact that he had the possibility to sing for Rockets and he decided to come to the young team but in LA.

How about them Clippers? Why didn't he just sign there?

They had $35 mil in cap space?
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2018 10:16 am    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
blackmamba08 wrote:
He didn't come to LAL to win. That's obvious. He came for his business. And because of that he is not worried that much about the team or if they can win next year or not. This was strictly the business decision.
And the reason I think like this is the fact that he had the possibility to sing for Rockets and he decided to come to the young team but in LA.

How about them Clippers? Why didn't he just sign there?

They had $35 mil in cap space?

Could have easily gotten it if they wanted to.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2018 10:19 am    Post subject:

Clips signed/traded for these players this summer:

Gortat: 13.5m
Bradley: 12m
Wes Johnson: 6m
Harrell: 6m
Scott: 4.3m
Mbah: 4.3m

So yeah. It's easily do-able...but of course there was no way LBJ is playing on that team.
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2018 10:32 am    Post subject:

Wasting implies intention to waste, as if they're just flippantly or carelessly doing it. They didn't have much choice if SA was gonna hold their feet to the fire to get Kawhi. That is, if a Kawhi trade is what OP is claiming is a NON-wasted season.

If they trade away a big chunk of the youth core that's left to get Kawhi, is that really wasting a season or would it be preferable to either try to get him next Summer, or worst case, try to trade with the potentially amenable Raps at the deadline? What's more wasteful, making a potentially rash move or playing a long game and perhaps coming out of it with Kawhi or some other star while keeping the yutes? I say the patience they've expressed and the cap that they have carved out is an attempt to max his chances in the final 2-3 years of his deal (if not longer).
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2018 10:33 am    Post subject:

Quote:
Wasting implies intention to waste, as if they're intentionally doing it. They didn't have much choice if SA was gonna hold their feet to the fire to get Kawhi. That is, if a Kawhi trade is what OP is claiming is a NON-wasted season.

To be fair, in my initial post I said we are NOT wasting this season even though we didn't trade for KL.
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2018 10:35 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
Quote:
Wasting implies intention to waste, as if they're intentionally doing it. They didn't have much choice if SA was gonna hold their feet to the fire to get Kawhi. That is, if a Kawhi trade is what OP is claiming is a NON-wasted season.

To be fair, in my initial post I said we are NOT wasting this season even though we didn't trade for KL.

Oh, YOU'RE the OP? I'll give you a pass.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2018 10:38 am    Post subject:

non-player zealot wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
Quote:

Oh, YOU'RE the OP? I'll give you a pass.

My initial post on the matter:

Quote:
Personally for me, no. I think they are wisely going to assess the young core and see which of them fit with LBJ. The team didn't trade out young pieces for a win-now veteran, and I'm ok with that because I don't think that would have made us beat the Warriors. In the long run, we will need 2-3 all star level players AND the young core (which will still be on rookie deals) to have the depth to take down the Warriors.

venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2018 11:10 am    Post subject:

non-player zealot wrote:
Wasting implies intention to waste, as if they're just flippantly or carelessly doing it. They didn't have much choice if SA was gonna hold their feet to the fire to get Kawhi. That is, if a Kawhi trade is what OP is claiming is a NON-wasted season.

If they trade away a big chunk of the youth core that's left to get Kawhi, is that really wasting a season or would it be preferable to either try to get him next Summer, or worst case, try to trade with the potentially amenable Raps at the deadline? What's more wasteful, making a potentially rash move or playing a long game and perhaps coming out of it with Kawhi or some other star while keeping the yutes? I say the patience they've expressed and the cap that they have carved out is an attempt to max his chances in the final 2-3 years of his deal (if not longer).

I agree on the not wasting part, Lebron made his choice based on what our FO planned to do. Disagree on Leonard, we had a choice and made it.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2018 11:20 am    Post subject:

Quote:
we had a choice and made it.

You'd have given up BI, Hart, Kuz, and 3 future 1sts for KL who may or may not be able to play at a high level?
Beir32
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2018 11:20 am    Post subject:

If the youth doesn't mesh with LBJ then one or two of them get shipped for a Kawhi or Butler or someone else. All we can ask for is they have the chance to prove they can play and I believe the FO will give them that chance.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2018 1:10 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
Quote:

You'd have given up BI, Hart, Kuz, and 3 future 1sts for KL who may or may not be able to play at a high level?

I wouldn’t have and that would be my choice. As things turned out it looks like the Spurs weren’t interested in youth and rebuilding.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2018 1:26 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
Quote:

I wouldn’t have and that would be my choice. As things turned out it looks like the Spurs weren’t interested in youth and rebuilding.

So sounds like the Spurs made their choice too.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2018 1:36 pm    Post subject:

Yes, they chose the veteran all star MVP candidate. Many here were speculating that Pop wanted no part of a rebuild and they look to be correct.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2018 1:47 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
Yes, they chose the veteran all star MVP candidate. Many here were speculating that Pop wanted no part of a rebuild and they look to be correct.

So not sure why you're blaming the FO for not trading for KL when you admit the Spurs didn't want to rebuild.
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2018 2:01 pm    Post subject:

non-player zealot wrote:

When has a team ever intentionally wasted a player’s prime years? I think there is a difference between intentionally wasting an opportunity, swinging and missing, and not swinging because you didnt think you needed to even though ultimately you did.
kawhileonard
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2018 2:40 pm    Post subject:

DId lebron have a no trade clause in his deal?
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2018 2:50 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:

So not sure why you're blaming the FO for not trading for KL when you admit the Spurs didn't want to rebuild.

Show me where I blamed them? I said all along you do it if he’s healthy but not for an injured player.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 10, 11, 12  Next
Page 11 of 12
Jump to: