Useless or annoying stuff that Stu Lantz says
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
VicXLakers
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2018 10:43 am    Post subject:

kentu_tiro wrote:
But then again you start listening to the Clippers guys and you're like OMFG!!! Those dudes are even more trash with uber homerism.

yeah...it's a shame LA has such bad announcers. There are better out there ...Jeanie

I was a fan of Chick's before I was a Lakers fan and always thought championships start in the announcers booth
george w kush
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2018 10:58 am    Post subject:

Speaking of Billy Mac, anyone know if he is still dating that college girl? Keep in mind this man is almost 60. I remember he changed his hairstyle to make it look like a teenager from the 90s. Anyone remember that?

https://deadspin.com/5204036/its-good-to-be-bill-macdonald
Coppertop
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2018 12:51 pm    Post subject:

kevin61 wrote:
12 wrote:
Man, it'd be amazing to get Ireland and Thompson on TV instead of the radio. Spero was incredible too. They should have offered him the TV job. Although, I doubt Spero would put up with Stu's bs.

Never understood all the love for Spero, he was good, had a nice voice, but his overall demeanor always struck me as a bit depressed. Billy Mac is a barely competent play by play guy, but his enthusiasm is undeniable. He and Stu have a chemistry that Joel and Stu didn't. Joel was a great voice with an empty head and Stu didn't care for him at all.

This. All of it!

Spero was decent, but he actually had a very slow delivery on the radio. I could tell what had happened based on crowd noise before he would spit it out. On TV he would've been better. (I know Spero personally, so would've been happy to have him around. He's a good dude.)

Joel Meyers didn't know the game of basketball, which is why Stu was always on his case. Stu was a total jerk to him, but I understood why.

Both Bill and Ireland have been heavily influenced by Chick. Their attempts to use Chick's lingo almost always drives me nuts.
Don Draper
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2018 4:03 pm    Post subject:

george w kush wrote:
Speaking of Billy Mac, anyone know if he is still dating that college girl? Keep in mind this man is almost 60. I remember he changed his hairstyle to make it look like a teenager from the 90s. Anyone remember that?

Hopefully he's not as much of a dick as Joel:

Cutheon
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2018 5:46 pm    Post subject:

gblews wrote:
Cutheon wrote:
Was funny when Stu verbally murdered Billy Mac a few weeks back

Not sure if you're referring to something specific here, but probably the thing Stu does that gets on my nerves the most is when he directly and bluntly contradicts a point Billy makes no matter how insignificant the point may be. In fact, it could be a joke or just a throwaway line, and if he is so inclined, Stu will jump in and bigfoot Billy for no good reason.

This isn't just about Billy either. He did it to Sundaland, and to the announcer who folowed Sundy (can't recall his name). Stu's out of control ego is what is driving this. As we all know, he wasn't like this when Chick was here.

Specific. I do not remember which team, and I do not think it is online, but I could probably dig up the game thread where several of us commented on the event.

Anyway, this is essentially what happened.

Billy Mac (observing Jules [I think?] and Kuz's chemistry): They've become fast friends.

Stu: We are slow friends.

Billy Mac: tortoise like.

It was pretty savage to hear live - not a lot of mirth in Stu's voice even though he was laughing, if you feel me.

EDIT: Found the game thread corroborating it. Page 18 has the quote.

Lakers Grizz Game Thread: Stu gives it to BMac straight
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2018 4:27 pm    Post subject:

Jesus, with the way Stu and Mac were going all crazy on the Jazz players I thought I was watching the Jazz telecast....
misterioso
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2018 9:51 pm    Post subject:

Don Draper wrote:
george w kush wrote:

Hopefully he's not as much of a dick as Joel:

Both incidents are insignificant.

You can do this:
http://articles.latimes.com/1997/sep/26/news/mn-36348
and still have a job broadcasting primetime national games.
Treble Clef
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2018 10:00 am    Post subject:

I am really hoping Stu retires before he hears the news that the Lakers signed LeBron, Rondo, and so on. Now that they're playing for playoffs again they need some new flavor.
VicXLakers
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2018 10:09 am    Post subject:

Treble Clef wrote:
I am really hoping Stu retires before he hears the news that the Lakers signed LeBron, Rondo, and so on. Now that they're playing for playoffs again they need some new flavor.

I don't think Stu will be able to complain and wish he could go home early this year.
Treble Clef
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2018 10:15 am    Post subject:

VicXLakers wrote:
Treble Clef wrote:

I don't think Stu will be able to complain and wish he could go home early this year.

He did it in the Lakers championship years whenever the Lakers had a comfortable lead. He hates his job but he's too proud to let anyone else take the job and outshine him.
SuperboyReformed
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2018 10:28 am    Post subject:

wow....a lot of stu hate here.
greenfrog
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2018 10:57 am    Post subject:

I'm actually fascinated to see if Stu fully jumps aboard the Lebron bandwagon.
SuperboyReformed
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2018 11:28 am    Post subject:

greenfrog wrote:

Yea, me too. I want to see what he has to say about the way he plays. I don't think he will spew the typical lebron stuff like "That was an INCREDIBLE pass! wow!" when he throws a regular pass.
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2018 11:31 am    Post subject:

Treble Clef wrote:
VicXLakers wrote:
Treble Clef wrote:

He did it in the Lakers championship years whenever the Lakers had a comfortable lead. He hates his job but he's too proud to let anyone else take the job and outshine him.

Haha. He was pissed at being at the 2009 championship parade for coverage that started at 8AM. He was demonstrative about his displeasure about having to be up that early while the 4 other normal people on the panel were all happy. The team's own color commentator is somehow the only person among a hundred thousand to be grumpy about being there. Even the gangsta rappers from the 80s/90s (Cube and Snoop) who made livings off of appearing hard were cheery.
greenfrog
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2018 11:40 am    Post subject:

SuperboyReformed wrote:
greenfrog wrote:

Yea, me too. I want to see what he has to say about the way he plays. I don't think he will spew the typical lebron stuff like "That was an INCREDIBLE pass! wow!" when he throws a regular pass.

You never know with Stu. He's a brown-noser to the core. As most of LA will be on the bandwagon after Game 1, I'm not sure he can survive taking passive-aggressive shots at LBJ for whatever modern-era infraction he deems so annoying.
lakez34
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2018 11:49 am    Post subject:

I had thought Stu would have retired post-Kobe retiring, but the fact he's stuck around tells me he loves his job, and wouldn't change it for the world. A part of his persona on-air is attempting to bring levity to games and/or express what the "common fan" may feel, which in many games is exactly what he says... "why are we watching preseason," "do we really need OT in a preseason game," "how come it's a travel for some players but not others," etc etc. I think taking that too seriously and thinking he hates his job is a stretch.
PartyMan
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2018 12:06 pm    Post subject:

We may not have the best announcers, but we sure as hell don't have the worst.

I tend to enjoy the national broadcasts best, unless it's the Inside the NBA crew... They're great at that show but should be nowhere near courtside.
greenfrog
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2018 12:09 pm    Post subject:

lakez34 wrote:
I had thought Stu would have retired post-Kobe retiring, but the fact he's stuck around tells me he loves his job, and wouldn't change it for the world. A part of his persona on-air is attempting to bring levity to games and/or express what the "common fan" may feel, which in many games is exactly what he says... "why are we watching preseason," "do we really need OT in a preseason game," "how come it's a travel for some players but not others," etc etc. I think taking that too seriously and thinking he hates his job is a stretch.

I've heard him say that stuff in the off-the-air breaks as well, back when those leaked out on illegal streams.

Stu [close game in the third quarter]: Are you heading home? [to someone unmiced]. Can I come too?
Chronicle
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2018 12:39 pm    Post subject:

PartyMan wrote:

I tend to enjoy the national broadcasts best, unless it's the Inside the NBA crew... They're great at that show but should be nowhere near courtside.

Who has better announcers than we do? We have fair unbiased commentators that stick to discussing the actual game
GTL
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2018 1:05 pm    Post subject:

"And Kobe says, I'm going to cut through that double team, pull up baseline, and draaaain the smoooooth jumper...on your Lakers, basketball network"
VicXLakers
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2018 1:57 pm    Post subject:

Treble Clef wrote:
VicXLakers wrote:
Treble Clef wrote:

so now we have twitter and we complain directly to Jeanie
danzag
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2018 2:34 pm    Post subject:

I like Stu. Hard not to be grumpy after 5 years of not going to the playoffs
lakez34
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2018 2:45 pm    Post subject:

greenfrog wrote:
lakez34 wrote:

I've heard him say that stuff in the off-the-air breaks as well, back when those leaked out on illegal streams.

Stu [close game in the third quarter]: Are you heading home? [to someone unmiced]. Can I come too?

Weird - yeah I don't know, maybe he really hates his job. Regardless, his analysis and knowledge of the game continue to make him a good color commentator in my book. I just wish we could get back to hear him saying... "on the lakers basketball network," but I guess those days have been long gone.
Killakobe81
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2018 2:58 pm    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
zePokar wrote:
Stu's really not that bad.

He is, but he's a Lakers icon, and one of the only remaining ones at this point unfortunately. So he gets a pass.

This. He was good or at least decent when paired with chick. But without Hearn he has just been progressively worse.

But he does love the LAkers, he is a link to "Chick n Stu" and maintains his objectivity. The fact some here wonder if even likes the Lakers, tells me he is being objective still.
He just doesn't sound like he has the same passion he used to. Back in his prime he gave you great insight on post play and talked about the work bigs had put in Pete NEwell's nig-man camp.

Maybe he doesnt like the modern NBA or he is just old and tired. I don't think he is very good at this point but he is a "made man" and untouchable.
Killakobe81
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2018 3:01 pm    Post subject:

Chronicle wrote:
PartyMan wrote:

Who has better announcers than we do? We have fair unbiased commentators that stick to discussing the actual game

This is true. Spurs, Blazers, rox, Pacers Cavs all have horrid homers. And of course ...Boston.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17  Next
Page 13 of 17
Jump to: