Are the Lakers Wasting a Year of LBJ's "Prime?"
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Are the Lakers Wasting a Year of LBJ's Prime?
Yes. We should have traded for another all-star and/or veteran players. Can't waste LBJ's final prime years.
10%
 10%  [ 17 ]
No. Part of the process is to be patient and assess our young core with LBJ. He signed a 4 year deal for a reason.
89%
 89%  [ 152 ]
Total Votes : 169

venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2018 2:51 pm    Post subject:

kawhileonard wrote:
DId lebron have a no trade clause in his deal?

No
KingKobe20
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2018 5:39 pm    Post subject:

I hate to play this card but nothing is for certain in the NBA injuries wise.
For us or other ball clubs obviously.

An say something was to happen to the Warriors why can’t we be the next favorites??!

Anything is possible and I’m kind of tired of hearing that narrative that Lebron didn’t come here to win.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2018 6:23 pm    Post subject:

The narrative came from Lebron himself, more than once when asked why he made his decision, the answer was family. That doesn’t mean he doesn’t want to win, just that winning wasn’t his priority.
Judah
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2018 6:33 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
The narrative came from Lebron himself, more than once when asked why he made his decision, the answer was family. That doesn’t mean he doesn’t want to win, just that winning wasn’t his only priority.

Fixed.
Judah
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2018 7:36 pm    Post subject:

Four Decade Bandwagon wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
LBJ is an older player who has always been serious about his craft. I agree he will have some attention turned to his business, but I don't think it'll reach a point where he has to effectively choose one or the other, or his basketball craft will be on the backburner.

Eh. At this level, the margins are tiny. A 1% distraction may be noticeable, and a 5% distraction may be critical. I’m not making any predictions, and I don’t claim to have insights into Lebron’s mindset. But I think some of you are too quick to dismiss this issue. Last year may have been an Indian summer season for Lebron. He had a number of motivations for going all out — last chance to win a title at home, the departure of Kyrie, etc. We’ll find out whether he has the same fire here. Ask me in January, when the novelty of playing for a new team has worn off.

Part of this discussion of James'motivation that I think is important is the development and progress of the young players. How invested is he in teaching them and handing over the reins to the next generation?

IMO the key at this point is the transition. James has a timeline. How well will he play for how long? Can the current young players earn the respect and play at a level worthy of that responsibility? Do the Lakers need to add a player to be the next leader of the team? How much does James ego affect the transition?

How the roster is built, chemistry and how they compete will tie in directly to how motivated James will be these final years. The distractions of being a mega star will be there but how he handles the transition will define his tenure in L.A. and very possibly how competitive they are during this James path the next few years.

A lot of variables to consider when discussing how motivated James can or will be. Have to admit it will be damn entertaining to watch this play out.

Even aside from the available documentation that clearly spells out, not only his willingness, but his desire to mentor young players and play an active role in their development, the very fact that he came to the Lakers answers the question with clarity. He knew exactly what the Lakers’ situation was when he signed up. And he's far from a fickle, shortsighted individual. When listening to him it becomes clear that he routinely ponders things with a long-term outlook. He's even said he expects there to be bruises along the way during the first season because it's naturally part of the growth process for every team. I don't have any doubt that he thought everything through from A to Z.
Laker's Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2018 7:39 pm    Post subject:

LA made a gambit, that flexibility and developing young talent along with LeBron was the smarter path to a title. Tough to say if that is better or not for LeBron, but it's definitely better for the Lakers. So I like it.

If you look big picture, it actually makes a lot of sense. This year GS is going to be a monster. That may continue but financials, fatigue and flight risk from Klay and Durant open up opportunity. You also need time to develop as a team. Most of these voltroned super teams fall short because they lack the key ingredient of continuity.

There's a lot of free agents and a lot of cap room next year. As the deadline approaches there may very well be value from teams in the trade market with teams not wanting to pony up or players exercising their pre-agency. To that end, it may just not have been time for LA to cash in their chips.
av3773
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2018 4:40 am    Post subject:

TBD...I think a lot depends on Ball....Hart I think has already shown he is going to be a player, same with Kuzma and BI....if Ball improves at the same level BI did from year 1 to year 2 I think the Lakers are going to be a lot better than most people expect.

Personally I think Rondo is going to kill it on this team...I even think McGee is going to be a good fit for us.

I'm hoping ALL of the young guys went to work this summer and come in to work at another level....if so I think this will be one of the most entertaining seasons for a long time and could very easily see us in the WCF
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2018 5:41 am    Post subject:

I think it's foolish to trade multiple young players and assets for KL not knowing if he's healthy enough to play (let alone the Spurs being unwilling to trade him to LA).

The Warriors are stacked this year, but are now finally approaching some critical decisions. There is a small chance they lose one of KD/Klay in 2019, which would certainly make the Death Star more vulnerable.

People are being far too harsh on the Lakers not going all in right now when it likely means it's a futile effort.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2018 6:21 am    Post subject:

Judah wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
The narrative came from Lebron himself, more than once when asked why he made his decision, the answer was family. That doesn’t mean he doesn’t want to win, just that winning wasn’t his only priority.

Fixed.

Not really. And create your own posts, don’t bogart mine. Have some creativity, be your own person, don’t live in my shadow.
Judah
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2018 12:13 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
Judah wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:

Fixed.

Not really. And create your own posts, don’t bogart mine. Have some creativity, be your own person, don’t live in my shadow.

Your shadow is pretty cozy, though. It's warm like a campfire.
kawhileonard
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2018 3:15 pm    Post subject:

NAh, VLF is right.

I get the same feeling too with lebron.

Lebron might have a desire to still win, etc, but maybe not the same level of desire as before..
Judah
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2018 5:37 pm    Post subject:

kawhileonard wrote:
NAh, VLF is right.

Lebron might have a desire to still win, etc, but maybe not the same level of desire as before..

Again, the flaw in the logic is that it assumes his motives have to be one dimensional. There's no reason to view it that way.
unleasHell
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2018 6:08 pm    Post subject:

Why the negative post?

Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor?

These things take time, just gotta have some patience..
GTL
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2018 10:49 pm    Post subject:

Judah wrote:
kawhileonard wrote:
NAh, VLF is right.

Again, the flaw in the logic is that it assumes his motives have to be one dimensional. There's no reason to view it that way.

I think his passion and desire to win are as strong as they have ever been, if not stronger. A player of LeBron’s magnitude doesn’t just suddenly decide he no longer cares to win, especially against younger up and comers who may be “threatening” his title as greatest in the game today. He goes into every season with the same competitive drive that he’s had for over a decade now. It’s why he’s one of the all time greats, maybe even the greatest ever, and any assumption that he’s suddenly decided to stop caring because he lives in Los Angeles has no basis of fact to back it up. In fact, quite the opposite is true if you cosider his career up to this point. He didn’t spend his entire life getting to this point to suddenly decide in the prime of his career that he no longer cares about winning. That’s a ludicrous notion in my opinion (and everyone is entitled to their opinion, despite the narrative).
lakerican
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2018 7:37 am    Post subject:

unleasHell wrote:
Why the negative post?

Japanese
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2018 7:39 am    Post subject:

unleasHell wrote:
Why the negative post?

Still waiting for the Germans to bomb Pearl Harbor?

#Patience
kball
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2018 8:06 am    Post subject:

That does then explain why the russians dropped those 2 nukes on the japanese I guess
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2018 8:07 am    Post subject:

Has Japan torn down the Berlin Wall yet?
lakurluv
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2018 8:26 am    Post subject:

To the OP: NOT AT ALL!

We're young, but only in terms of NBA standards. When you look at our core of players without LeBron.
Ball+Kuzma+Ingram+Hart+Pope+Wagner (I'll use this group in example)
We average 22 years of age (which is young) and three (3) years of experience.
The just of those numbers is that you're talking 3 out of the 6 players in that list have STAR Potential and could break out at any time in their career!

With that being said, sometimes it takes a SUPERSTAR Player, like LBJ to bring the best out of the young potential teammate!
Things will get a lot easier for all of these players as LBJ will draw double teams and establish a consistent inside out game and perimeter ball movement.

Magic and Rob did a great job of providing LeBron not only with youth, but Talented Youth to encompass him. There's no doubt this team will be in the Playoffs, just how far we go remains to be seen...
JerryMagicKobe

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2018 9:13 am    Post subject:

kawhileonard wrote:
NAh, VLF is right.

That is a rationalized attempt to explain why LeBron left Cleveland for Los Angeles ("I don't believe the Lakers can win, therefor LeBron must not care about winning"). There is nothing to suggest that LeBron actually cares less about winning than he did before, and that assumption is pretty insulting to LeBron and the Lakers.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2018 9:32 am    Post subject:

JerryMagicKobe wrote:
kawhileonard wrote:
NAh, VLF is right.

That is a rationalized attempt to explain why LeBron left Cleveland for Los Angeles ("I don't believe the Lakers can win, therefor LeBron must not care about winning"). There is nothing to suggest that LeBron actually cares less about winning than he did before, and that assumption is pretty insulting to LeBron and the Lakers.

There really wasn't a team that Lebron could go to, without sacrificing a ridiculous amount of money, that would clearly put him in a position to beat the Warriors.

So it may not be that he lacks the desire to win; he may have just seen that whether he stayed in Cleveland, went to the 76ers, or came to us, his odds of winning were modest, so he factored in other stuff in his decision.
lakersboy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2018 1:32 pm    Post subject:

You heard it here first. This year:
Ingram is going to be a star.
Kuzma is going to be a star.
Hart is going to be a star.
Zubac is going to be pretty good.
Good / key role players will be everywhere Luke looks on the bench.
Lonzo will begin to show improvement as the season goes on.
Their fast, efficient offense will resemble UCLA's offense 2 years ago, only better.
The bench is going to dominate.
The rookies will be ready to contribute meaningful, effective minutes if needed.

How much of that could be said about Cleveland?
What part of that is wasting LeBron's prime?
Wino
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2018 4:57 pm    Post subject:

lakerican wrote:
unleasHell wrote:
Why the negative post?

Japanese

He heard that one somewhere in the media because I heard it too. Someone running for office who has no clue about the world made it originally.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2018 5:48 pm    Post subject:

JerryMagicKobe wrote:
kawhileonard wrote:
NAh, VLF is right.

I don’t question his desire, just where it ranked in his decision making process. I expect Lebron to give his all.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12
Page 12 of 12
Jump to: