GOODBYE LUOL DENG (Deng Bought Out & Stretched, p. 133)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 130, 131, 132 ... 155, 156, 157  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
h2omike
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2018 7:30 pm    Post subject:

I think some of it is sour grapes now. Deng still thinks he has it in him, but is he willing to bust his butt between now and training camp, report in as good of shape as the rest of the guys, and play well enough to justify minutes over Lebron, Kuzma, Beasley, McGee, and Zubac at the 4 and 5?

To date he is viewed as a way overpaid non-performer. He can either accept it or prove it wrong. Words from an $18 million a year player who scored two points last season, are cheap. For his money, he should be our second best player not an old, broken down freeloader.

If he can play at least better than Brewer did for us in limited minutes, he at least earns his man card back. But if he is just going to whine to the media I have nothing but contempt for him.

The Lakers made bad moves back then, all Deng can do is try to st least give a solid veteran minimum performance. Nothing wrong with some sweat earned dignity and self respect.

Show us 10 points, 5 boards and some floor burns, then I will say Deng is good enough to stay here for the season. Rudy Gay should be his goal.
twisted
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2018 8:48 pm    Post subject:

Wolverine wrote:
CaCHooKa_Man wrote:

Thanks CaCHooKa_Man!

Love the new logo!

Thanks Cachooka. Deng looks fat and slow, I don't understand what all the hoopla is about.
He's not NBA quality anymore
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2018 9:06 pm    Post subject:

twisted wrote:
Wolverine wrote:
CaCHooKa_Man wrote:

Thanks CaCHooKa_Man!

Love the new logo!

Thanks Cachooka. Deng looks fat and slow, I don't understand what all the hoopla is about.

He played decent in an exhibition game and people don't like the idea of spending 2yrs/$36M for nothing.
Dr. Laker
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2018 9:23 pm    Post subject:

oldlakerfan wrote:
epak wrote:
https://mobile.twitter.com/NBA/status/1025766534747222016/video/1

He's back!

He can still play. Maybe Lebron can light a fire under him.

He looks like me out there . . . and I'm 55, with a gut and bad feet.
l4kerz
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2018 9:30 pm    Post subject:

able to still dunk, but no shot.
E=MC²
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2018 9:31 pm    Post subject:

Deng can have his freedom.... agree to terminate contract.
microbe obliterator
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2018 9:32 pm    Post subject:

twisted wrote:
Wolverine wrote:
CaCHooKa_Man wrote:

Thanks CaCHooKa_Man!

Love the new logo!

*blink* umm...is me getting old?! or does team africa have "two" no. 9s playing?! .....at the same time!
epak
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2018 10:02 pm    Post subject:

twisted wrote:
Wolverine wrote:
CaCHooKa_Man wrote:

Thanks CaCHooKa_Man!

Love the new logo!

I appreciate the 3 point clanks in the highlights as well.
Jesusdelonla
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2018 10:06 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
Jesusdelonla wrote:
so much effort put into why Deng was not given mins, smh

Irony that this comes after randle is let go

The only irony is you injecting shots at Randle in every thread because you were so wrong about him and he made you eat crow.

Like how we make you eat crow every day of every week?
epak
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2018 10:24 pm    Post subject:

2017-18 season highlights

VicXLakers
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2018 10:55 pm    Post subject:

^some kind of Mandela effect...I don't remember Deng playing last season
AJ
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2018 11:42 pm    Post subject:

I wonder if it was at all awkward for RP and Deng this past week. Do you think they communicated or ignored one another?
George W Buss
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2018 1:13 am    Post subject:

He should have spent time to train his 3-pt shot.
mhan00
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2018 7:25 am    Post subject:

twisted wrote:
Wolverine wrote:
CaCHooKa_Man wrote:

Thanks CaCHooKa_Man!

Love the new logo!

Agree. He looks like he completely let himself go compared to what he looked like at the start of last season. I was kinda hoping we might be able to use him as a small ball 5, but I’m letting that go after seeing his highlights at the exhibition game.
Cow
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2018 7:36 am    Post subject:

For me that “steal” into the fast break showed everything we needed to see. Defender basically gave him the ball, and then his “fast break” dribble really sealed the deal. Looked more like a washed up pick-up guy on the break than a pro ready to earn minutes

I’m a pretty strong optimist, but I don’t see playing time in his future. We’ll likely trade him as an expiring next year without any play time this year. Him complaining to the media now gives a slight hope to some sort of a buyout... but ya - he’s cashin dem checks for now.
mhan00
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2018 7:40 am    Post subject:

epak wrote:
2017-18 season highlights

He looks waaaaaay better here than he does in his highlight reel of the exhibition game. Really looks like he’s let himself go, but I guess I can’t blame him that much.
Killakobe81
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2018 8:00 am    Post subject:

Hanging from Rafters wrote:
Needed Deng down the stretch last year with BI injury and Brewer release. If you have a player and need him to play you should play him, it’s on the coach and office. Now if you try to sub him in like Hood and he doesn’t go then it’s on the player. Think we made a mistake not playing Deng. Those were legit NBA Players Deng competed against today.

Maybe we you are correct we made a mistake...
But using the criteria it's because Deng looked "good" vs a few NBA players in an exhibition with ASG level defense is silly.
The Lakers mistake was signing him in a desperate move to beat a self-imposed deadline. He did not play worthy of even a third of that... He was buried on the bench because he is untradable. Period. Nothing we saw in these highlights should offset how mediocre he looked in year one of his horrid deal.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2018 9:34 am    Post subject:

h2omike wrote:
I think some of it is sour grapes now. Deng still thinks he has it in him, but is he willing to bust his butt between now and training camp, report in as good of shape as the rest of the guys, and play well enough to justify minutes over Lebron, Kuzma, Beasley, McGee, and Zubac at the 4 and 5?

To date he is viewed as a way overpaid non-performer. He can either accept it or prove it wrong. Words from an $18 million a year player who scored two points last season, are cheap. For his money, he should be our second best player not an old, broken down freeloader.

If he can play at least better than Brewer did for us in limited minutes, he at least earns his man card back. But if he is just going to whine to the media I have nothing but contempt for him.

The Lakers made bad moves back then, all Deng can do is try to st least give a solid veteran minimum performance. Nothing wrong with some sweat earned dignity and self respect.

Show us 10 points, 5 boards and some floor burns, then I will say Deng is good enough to stay here for the season. Rudy Gay should be his goal.

He won’t get the opportunity. This classy organization that treats their players great won’t give him the opportunities to show he belongs.
Jesusdelonla
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2018 10:46 am    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
h2omike wrote:

He won’t get the opportunity. This classy organization that treats their players great won’t give him the opportunities to show he belongs.

Classy organization with bad FO in ur boys Jim/Mitch will give garbage players 72/4m

Now u r here complaining how we are not giving mins to a guy who came out of shape after getting a big fat contract cause the guys who gave him contract are out
Omar Little

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2018 10:47 am    Post subject:

Can you two just knock it off?
Jesusdelonla
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2018 10:53 am    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
Can you two just knock it off?

LandsbergerRules
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2018 11:06 am    Post subject:

He didn't look good imo. Slow and out of shape. I don't think he reached his goal of proving himself to the org or other teams: https://www.iol.co.za/sport/basketball/deng-wants-to-prove-himself-to-lakers-in-nba-africa-game-16374170
Killakobe81
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2018 11:08 am    Post subject:

Deng may have been handled poorly but can't blame new regime for sins of the previous one...
Plus Deng has 70 million reasons to stay in shape and not complain. He thinks he has something left? Negotiate a settlement and prove the Lakers wrong...
TooMuchMajicBuss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Location: In a white room, with black curtains near the station

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2018 11:20 am    Post subject:

My limited understanding of the situation last season is that the decision not to play Luol was mutual, between the FO and Deng's agent.

Luol entered last season in game shape, but by March he had already let himself slide. I'll be curious what shape he's in come training camp this fall.
LakerSD
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2018 11:30 am    Post subject:

LandsbergerRules wrote:
He didn't look good imo. Slow and out of shape. I don't think he reached his goal of proving himself to the org or other teams: https://www.iol.co.za/sport/basketball/deng-wants-to-prove-himself-to-lakers-in-nba-africa-game-16374170

Looked on the heavy side to me too...
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 130, 131, 132 ... 155, 156, 157  Next
Page 131 of 157
Jump to: