Post here if you believe the Lakers will win a ring this year
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2018 4:54 pm    Post subject:

The Warriors beat the Cavaliers 4-1 with LeBron, Kyrie and Love.

They then 4-0'd the Cavaliers without Kyrie.

I'd say if we want to stand a chance against a healthy Warriors team we'd need our guys to be playing at or higher than the level Kyrie and Love put together.

So individually we probably can't hope to accomplish that at this current stage in our players's development.

So our approach should be with depth and having to force the Warriors to not rest their guys and taking advantage of their bench unit on the court.

We will never beat them in star power alone, our best chance aside from having actual size on the inside...well that USED to be our best chance, but they now have size on the inside and on the fast break.

So our best chance to beat them is just by being the deeper team, and them being complacent/worn out on constant back to back to back to back Finals, and taking full advantage of them when their bench is on the court.

If we can do that, in addition to their fatigue, we stand a chance. Probably not this year though. But if we're headed in the direction of supreme depth along with stars, we have a shot.

The reality is that most dynasties don't fall until their guys get old or hurt.

The Lakers and Celtics had a great rivalry through ALL The 80s, but both eventually lost to the Pistons after the Celtics got old, and the Lakers got injured.

Ultimately however the Pistons fell to the Bulls because they were old and on the downslide and the Bulls were peaking.

The Bulls dominated the 90s and disbanded before their run got "old".

The Lakers and the Spurs dominated from 1999-2013 till Kobe was no longer able to perform at a high level due to injury, and the Spurs core got old, not before taking out the Miami Heat.

And then it supposedly was supposed to become the Cavs era with Lebron Kyrie and Love, but Golden State completely uppended that and made the 2010's THEIR era and for the forseeable future.

So you'd have to assume that their run would end, due to fatigue, getting old, or stuff you don't want to wish on any team.

So the Lakers goal should be the team that is peaking the moment they are sliding. So it may not be THIS season, but it could be next season. The timer isn't so much on when LeBron will lead us there, it is more so on when Ingram, Lonzo, Kuzma, Hart etc, all start coming into their own and peaking.

The hope is that starts happening while LeBron is still here.

Last edited by MJST on Sun Aug 05, 2018 5:06 pm; edited 1 time in total
slavavov
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2018 4:59 pm    Post subject:

MJST wrote:
The Warriors beat the Cavaliers 4-1 with LeBron, Kyrie and Love.

They then 4-0'd the Cavaliers without Kyrie.

I'd say if we want to stand a chance against a healthy Warriors team we'd need our guys to be playing at or higher than the level Kyrie and Love put together.

So individually we probably can't hope to accomplish that at this current stage in our players's development.

So our approach should be with depth and having to force the Warriors to not rest their guys and taking advantage of their bench unit on the court.

We will never beat them in star power alone, our best chance aside from having actual size on the inside...well that USED to be our best chance, but they now have size on the inside and on the fast break.

So our best chance to beat them is just by being the deeper team, and them being complacent/worn out on constant back to back to back to back Finals, and taking full advantage of them when their bench is on the court.

If we can do that, we stand a chance. Probably not this year though. But if we're headed in the direction of supreme depth along with stars, we have a shot.

That's a reason why we have a shot. They don't have a Jordan, Kobe or Magic who's totally insatiable. Who knows how motivated and hungry they'll be this year.

How our players complement each other will also be important. I feel like if Kyrie did more of the ball handling and Lebron played more off the ball in 2017, the Cavs would've had a real chance of beating the Warriors in the finals. Lebron played so well in the first 2-3 quarters of Game 2 and 3 when they had a real chance and were really competitive, but then he got tired and that's when the Warriors took advantage.
epak
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2018 5:05 pm    Post subject:

Duh
mookielala
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2018 5:11 pm    Post subject:

That's why they play the games. There's always a chance. Who knows, we might pick up another piece before the end of the season.
PICKnPOP
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2018 5:21 pm    Post subject:

I think we match up with the warriors better than anyone is giving us credit for tbh

Kcp, rondo, Lonzo on curry

Kcp, hart, Lonzo, Stephenson (svi) On Klay

Ingram, lebron, Stephenson, Beasley, Kuzma on Durant

Kuzma, lebron, Beasley On Draymond (I think him having to guard a shooter limits his effectiveness at center).

I feel like KCP and Lonzo will make life very difficult for the splash brothers

KcP - curry
Lonzo - Klay
Ingram - Durant
Kuzma - Draymond
Lebron
Idk man...

LakerLanny
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2018 5:27 pm    Post subject:

I would like to say that as a die hard Laker fan my whole life, that any year I thought they could win it all since technically that is true.

Realistically however, we all know the last several seasons that it was a bit of a longshot for that to happen.

Now it is still a longshot, but a signficantly lower one since we just signed the best all around player in the league.

Should be an exciting, must watch season....
lakersboy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2018 5:28 pm    Post subject:

Deleted

Last edited by lakersboy on Sun Aug 05, 2018 5:36 pm; edited 1 time in total
lakersboy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2018 5:35 pm    Post subject:

The "I don't expect them to / think they will" thread is that way----> and there's plenty of them. I just wondered who wouldn't be shocked if they do, or who expects them to win.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2018 6:43 pm    Post subject:

KobeShaqalliance wrote:
It's funny to me seeing so many people say the Lakers have no chance. Vegas disagrees. After the Warriors and Celtics, Lakers are 8-1 to win it all. I see all these posts saying how great OKC and the ThJazz are. They are 45-1 and 90-1 respectively.

If the Warriors have injuries, and the Lakers get Kuzma or Ingram to be a consistent scorer next to Lebron the Lakers have a shot.

Read the thread on what Vegas thinks, 48.5 wins. What you are talking about is what happens when a lot of Laker fans bet money on the team and move the line. They were 20/1 earlier.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2018 6:45 pm    Post subject:

lakersboy wrote:
The "I don't expect them to / think they will" thread is that way----> and there's plenty of them. I just wondered who wouldn't be shocked if they do, or who expects them to win.

dude, it's August....if there is a thread with movement.....everyone is going to head that way....the topic is near irrelevant.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2018 6:46 pm    Post subject:

GTL wrote:
ringfinger wrote:
Remember, it took a year for Lebron, joining forces with Wade and Bosh, to gel enough to win it all.

So is there a chance? Sure. There’s a chance you win the state lottery, but our chances aren’t great. But thats ok with me.

Well to be fair that was a lock out season and Miami seemingly choked it away in the finals. But they still got there and were favorites to win despite Dallas shocking the world.

With 3 all stars in their prime. We have no all stars in their prime.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2018 7:07 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
GTL wrote:
ringfinger wrote:
Remember, it took a year for Lebron, joining forces with Wade and Bosh, to gel enough to win it all.

So is there a chance? Sure. There’s a chance you win the state lottery, but our chances aren’t great. But thats ok with me.

Well to be fair that was a lock out season and Miami seemingly choked it away in the finals. But they still got there and were favorites to win despite Dallas shocking the world.

Exactly. Completely different circumstances. But we have a good chance to make it to the 2nd round and maybe surprise a team and make it one round further. Depends if GS faces Houston before the WCF.
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2018 7:09 pm    Post subject:

Inspector Gadget wrote:
ringfinger wrote:

I just checked there 2011 roster, they didn’t have impressive depth while this Lakers team does

Sure. They were top heavy, we’re deep. We still need time to figure it all out. And none of our other young guys are playoff tested. And Lebron was in his prime then too.

We don’t even know who our #2 is yet.
kball
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2018 7:29 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
KobeShaqalliance wrote:
It's funny to me seeing so many people say the Lakers have no chance. Vegas disagrees. After the Warriors and Celtics, Lakers are 8-1 to win it all. I see all these posts saying how great OKC and the ThJazz are. They are 45-1 and 90-1 respectively.

If the Warriors have injuries, and the Lakers get Kuzma or Ingram to be a consistent scorer next to Lebron the Lakers have a shot.

Read the thread on what Vegas thinks, 48.5 wins. What you are talking about is what happens when a lot of Laker fans bet money on the team and move the line. They were 20/1 earlier.

I actually think OKC at 45-1 is a decent flyer as those things go.
Might put a couple hundred down on that actually.

When it comes to winning deep into playoffs, i just don't think our young guys can be depended on.
And i'm not sure i'd be more comfortable with the older guys.
But with GS having played so many games together the last 3-4 years in championship runs, thats asking a lot for our guys to surpass.

Having said that, all the other western teams don't have that or the star power so we could conceivably win those series.

Bottom line this season
I could see us missing playoffs.
And i can see us beating everyone but GS
Which makes for a season of can't miss laker tv for a change.

And that alone makes me very happy as a laker fan regardless
panamaniac
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2018 7:30 pm    Post subject:

When Kobe was here (pre achilles tear) I felt we were in it every year. With LeBron now here, it's back to adopting that same mentality. We're the Lakers.

Last edited by panamaniac on Sun Aug 05, 2018 10:08 pm; edited 1 time in total
GTL
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2018 8:22 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
GTL wrote:
ringfinger wrote:

Personally, I believe LeBron will be dominant LeBron. What I’m banking on otherwise is Ingram having a breakout season, and guys like Hart, Kuz, KCP, and Ball (to a lesser extent, Svi, Wagner, etc.) having some of that superstar mentality rub off on them in the midst of improving throughout the season. We have former champions on the team other than James. Rondo, McGee (to a lesser extent, though still a champion), with Magic there to add his two cents when and if needed. We have vets like Lance and Beasley that can fill in if our young guys aren’t doing well. I know it’s vague and I’m making it sound more simple than it actually is, but I do believe in this team and their ability to create all stars with a perinniel leader in LBJ captaining the ship.

It’s the first time in a long time I’ve felt like we have the necessary pieces to play competitive basketball. If we sign Leonard or another big FA next summer without giving up the current pieces, that improvement that we’re expecting this season becomes even more prevalent. I am however one of the few (or many) who was unhappy with letting Randle walk. I thought he filled a void that this team now sort of has at the 4/5 position. Granted we likely wouldn’t have been able to keep him anyway, but it would have been nice to see his effort with this team.

None the less, I’m expecting us to create all new all stars, rather than trade away all our young talent for someone we can sign next summer without having to let our potential all stars walk.

Last edited by GTL on Sun Aug 05, 2018 8:30 pm; edited 1 time in total
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2018 8:22 pm    Post subject:

ringfinger wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:
ringfinger wrote:

I just checked there 2011 roster, they didn’t have impressive depth while this Lakers team does

Sure. They were top heavy, we’re deep. We still need time to figure it all out. And none of our other young guys are playoff tested. And Lebron was in his prime then too.

I agree, I’m just saying that overall our overall depth is way better then the Miami team that year if we eventually find our #2 either by our young players or via trade, we will be very very good.
GTL
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2018 8:26 pm    Post subject:

55 wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
GTL wrote:
ringfinger wrote:

Exactly. Completely different circumstances. But we have a good chance to make it to the 2nd round and maybe surprise a team and make it one round further. Depends if GS faces Houston before the WCF.

For me, I’m looking at our current team as the one squad every other playoff contender wants to avoid in the first and second round. I think we’re built for the post season if our young guys improve enough to be difference makers, along with the most feared player on the planet...I feel as though many of these other middle of the pack teams would likely rather avoid having to face LeBron in a 7 game series. I still feel as though the team with the best player still has the best chance at advancing, I felt that way when Kobe was in his prime and I have the same confidence about LeBron (just marvel at his historic playoff last season and you’ll understand why).....unless of course you’re the Warriors, they’re the exception to every rule.
24Legend007
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2018 8:28 pm    Post subject:

I most definitely think anything is possible when you have a player of James caliber.

There is a presumption that our younger players are not going to come through. By the way most of the presumptions are from the die hard analytics guys that just can't make up their mind because they can't tell by the numbers.

Look I'm not saying they are a juggernaut and obviously there will be some changes in a years time at the very least. I just think like any other team they need good luck with health. If people don't take us seriously, we are a very dangerous team.

I expect nothing less then WCF. If they go against a fully healthy GS I can understand how they most likely will not advance. There is no question a chance though.

Last edited by 24Legend007 on Sun Aug 05, 2018 8:30 pm; edited 1 time in total
GTL
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2018 8:28 pm    Post subject:

The Grind wrote:
We Kobe was here (pre achilles tear) I felt we were in it every year. With LeBron now here, it's back to adopting that same mentality. We're the Lakers.

Yes! This is exactly how I feel! When Kobe was in his prime I felt as though he was always the best player in the court and in a 7 game series would give us the edge simply for that reason alone. Same with James. Best player, best odds. Nobody wants to face him in a 7 game series. Just as they didn’t against Bryant when he plowed through the West for a decade.
24Legend007
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2018 8:35 pm    Post subject:

Inspector Gadget wrote:
ringfinger wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:
ringfinger wrote:

I agree, I’m just saying that overall our overall depth is way better then the Miami team that year if we eventually find our #2 either by our young players or via trade, we will be very very good.

One thing I will say about this is everybody thinks you can run a 10 man rotation in the playoffs. I think it is hard, because of the matchups and the pressure coaches put on each other, by leaving the best of the best on the court for longer periods of time.

The Cavs could have been considered extremely deep last season and we see they had to make changes.
methdxman
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2018 8:47 pm    Post subject:

You have to suffer to win championships. Our team hasn't gone through the gauntlet yet. It will take a few years to get into contention. But enjoy the journey.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address MSN Messenger Reply with quote
JohnDoe
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2018 10:39 pm    Post subject:

Once in the playoffs, anything is possible.

"Time will tell."
Sentient Meat
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2018 7:49 am    Post subject:

If the youngsters all improve and James doesn't have a significant decline... yes, I believe we can win, as long as we push the pace and wear out the teams with better starting lineups with our depth.

If we casually walk the ball down the court, as we did sometimes last year then there are teams with better starters that will beat us until we add the second star next season.

But if Lonzo finds his shot, Ingram continues his upward trajectory... and the older rookies haven't hit their ceiling... yes, combined with LBJ and those vets we have a chance.
SoCaLjAy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2018 7:54 am    Post subject:

I believe that if everything goes right they've got a chance. I haven't been this excited for a season in years.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 3 of 6
Jump to: