Useless or annoying stuff that Stu Lantz says
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 14, 15, 16, 17  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LakerLanny
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2018 9:14 am    Post subject:

epak wrote:
Also, people don't understand why Stu is the way he is. He had to be Chick's sidekick for years. Game after game being cut off mid sentence by the greatest voice in history. I'm sure it took a toll. Now he takes it out on all his cohosts

Chick never needed a sidekick. He had to dominate Al Michaels too back in the day, he was very well qualified to handle business by himself.

Francis Dale "Chick" Hearn....Lakers Legend!
SocalDevin
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2018 1:14 pm    Post subject:

dubaholic1 wrote:
Stu is beyond reproach. That man is a Los Angeles treasure.

Na lol..
GTL
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2018 3:31 pm    Post subject:

“LeBron says, don’t worry big fella, I’ll get you the lob for an easy 2, Javale says, and I got an easy assist for you King...noiiiceeee...on the Lakers, basketball network”
alohalakers
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2018 3:45 pm    Post subject:

CabinCreek44 wrote:
Stu is getting up there and maybe he's been around a bit too long at this point. As to his possibly not appreciating the style of play today, if that's true he would be correct in feeling that way imo.

The game has become boring. It's devolved into too much pass the ball around the perimeter and wait for someone to jack up a 3. After a season of watching their 7-footer Brook Lopez camp out at the 3 point line and launch approximately 4.5 trey attempts per game, Laker fans might be acutely aware of the problem.

As to the Lakers TV presentation, it is pathetic that the franchise which gave the world the great Chick Hearn continues to have its broadcasts mired in the D League. And in looking across the "Spectrum" at the slick but empty studio presentation, and the relentlessly insipid performances of Bill McDonald, Stu Lantz is the least of the problems. By far.

So true! Billy Mac is such an embarrassment as a broadcaster. I cringe every time I hear him. It's such a shame that the Lakers refuse to find someone better. Doesn't it seem the only reason he got the job is because he is Jeannie's buddy?
GTL
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2018 3:53 pm    Post subject:

alohalakers wrote:
CabinCreek44 wrote:
Stu is getting up there and maybe he's been around a bit too long at this point. As to his possibly not appreciating the style of play today, if that's true he would be correct in feeling that way imo.

The game has become boring. It's devolved into too much pass the ball around the perimeter and wait for someone to jack up a 3. After a season of watching their 7-footer Brook Lopez camp out at the 3 point line and launch approximately 4.5 trey attempts per game, Laker fans might be acutely aware of the problem.

As to the Lakers TV presentation, it is pathetic that the franchise which gave the world the great Chick Hearn continues to have its broadcasts mired in the D League. And in looking across the "Spectrum" at the slick but empty studio presentation, and the relentlessly insipid performances of Bill McDonald, Stu Lantz is the least of the problems. By far.

So true! Billy Mac is such an embarrassment as a broadcaster. I cringe every time I hear him. It's such a shame that the Lakers refuse to find someone better. Doesn't it seem the only reason he got the job is because he is Jeannie's buddy?

Billy Mac has me missing Joel Myers. I may be in the minority here but I actually liked Myers. I think he’s doing a good job with NO.
mookielala
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2018 4:33 pm    Post subject:

I get annoyed when he complains about the games going long or into overtime. You would hope he would appreciate how fortunate he is to be doing that job.
mookielala
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2018 4:34 pm    Post subject:

I do miss Chick...
PartyMan
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2018 4:40 pm    Post subject:

GTL wrote:
alohalakers wrote:
CabinCreek44 wrote:

Billy Mac has me missing Joel Myers. I may be in the minority here but I actually liked Myers. I think he’s doing a good job with NO.

That makes 2 of us. I liked Myers as well.
SocalDevin
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2018 4:41 pm    Post subject:

mookielala wrote:
I get annoyed when he complains about the games going long or into overtime. You would hope he would appreciate how fortunate he is to be doing that job.

JohnDoe
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2018 10:35 pm    Post subject:

xxsicrokerxx wrote:
I like Stu Lantz, its Billy Mac I want gone.

JohnDoe
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2018 10:44 pm    Post subject:

"Lays it up, and lays it in" like it was two separate actions

Well, they are two separate actions. Ever heard of a missed lay-up?
CabinCreek44
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2018 4:12 am    Post subject:

non-player zealot wrote:
CabinCreek44 wrote:

nuNBA is that. much. worse. to watch when your team is 29th in 3FGA. It becomes that much more obvious how assbackwards you are compared to the teams that spearheaded the change in format.

Indeed. Everyone wants to be the Warriors, but they're the only team that has the greatest distance shooting backcourt in the history of the sport. Everybody wanted to be the Lakers in the 1980s, but they were the only team that had Magic and Kareem.
CabinCreek44
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2018 4:15 am    Post subject:

Judah wrote:
CabinCreek44 wrote:

The game has become boring. It's devolved into too much pass the ball around the perimeter and wait for someone to jack up a 3.
After a season of watching their 7-footer Brook Lopez camp out at the 3 point line and launch approximately 4.5 trey attempts per game, Laker fans might be acutely aware of the problem.

That's how most old-timers describe the modern game, but it isn't nearly as shallow as that. The only team that really fits that description is Houston.

And FWIW, I find the style of play in modern games to be a lot more entertaining than games from 30 years ago or more.

It's all in the eye of the beholder. Kind of like baseball today. Hit a home run or strike out. The fundamentals and nuances of the sport are fading away.
CabinCreek44
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2018 4:24 am    Post subject:

LakerLanny wrote:
epak wrote:
Also, people don't understand why Stu is the way he is. He had to be Chick's sidekick for years. Game after game being cut off mid sentence by the greatest voice in history. I'm sure it took a toll. Now he takes it out on all his cohosts

Chick never needed a sidekick. He had to dominate Al Michaels too back in the day, he was very well qualified to handle business by himself.

Quite true, what little audio survives of Chick from way back in the Elgin/Jerry Sports Arena days is remarkable. Chick's delivery was beyond rapid fire, and always very well delivered. There simply wasn't space for anyone else.
kball
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2018 4:29 am    Post subject:

Quick Stu story.

Back when Lakers played in The Forum i used to sit a section away from chick and stu.

And they were always there prepping before game or just hanging out talking w fans a bit. Posing for a pic or signing an autograph

So one day i go up to stu with a basketball card from his playing days (a 25 cent value at the time) and ask could i get you to sign this?

Stu was very firm. Wouldn't sign the card. He quickly added he'd be happy to sign anything else but as a rule he didn't sign his card.

I didn't want or have anything else to sign so the idea just went poof.

Ironically i have a Wilt a West and a Dr. J from the same period and wouldn't want those signed and risk defacing and devaluing ...

But this was freaking STU LANTZ!
CabinCreek44
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2018 4:34 am    Post subject:

GTL wrote:
alohalakers wrote:
CabinCreek44 wrote:

No idea why Billy got the job, or how/why he keeps it.

Joel was clearly despised by Stu. I don't know why, but it bled into pretty much every broadcast they ever did after whatever point it was where Stu decided he couldn't stand the guy (from the beginning?). Listening to them do a game together was like going to the dentist.

The big miss imo was on Paul Sunderland. I thought he did a great job under the circumstances, first in filling in for Chick while he was ailing, and then getting the job full time after Chick passed. Of course he was no Chick, but he was a terrific pro, and the Lakers have whiffed badly twice since they chose to let Sunderland go.
socalsp3
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2018 10:31 pm    Post subject:

Can’t wait to hear Stu complain about preseason games
LakersRGolden
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2018 11:03 pm    Post subject:

I miss Spero. The rest have just been background noise. Honestly can't remember noticing when they switch them out.
SuperboyReformed
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2018 5:49 pm    Post subject:

greenfrog wrote:
SuperboyReformed wrote:
greenfrog wrote:
I'm actually fascinated to see if Stu fully jumps aboard the Lebron bandwagon.

Yea, me too. I want to see what he has to say about the way he plays. I don't think he will spew the typical lebron stuff like "That was an INCREDIBLE pass! wow!" when he throws a regular pass.

You never know with Stu. He's a brown-noser to the core. As most of LA will be on the bandwagon after Game 1, I'm not sure he can survive taking passive-aggressive shots at LBJ for whatever modern-era infraction he deems so annoying.

i know a lot of people here see him as a senile grumpy old man. But when he explains the details during his commentary, he knows what hes talking about. he's not going to bs and say how beautiful lebron's jumper is. He'll do his NOICE thing for big plays. if you can forgive him for the the comments, he is good to listen to as he doesn't overboard hype things that don't deserve. as a grumpy old man myself, i appreciate that. give me the no nonsense stuff. all these people criticize him for that "No he's not!" thing he does, i don't know. so what. there's something i appreciate about his old school mentality. none of the post chick guys have been remotely interesting to me. the closest was sutherland, so sue me. that guy spero that everyone liked...blah. he was a hardcore bulls fan, his commentating sucked.

another so sue me...ive been digging the portland guy. i dont know if its because i like lillard a lot or if he's good, but i like how he comments ont he appropriate details and still is properly excited. often times, these players do amazing things, and the announcers act like its another day in the park, and then lebron makes a simple pass and its the topic of discussion and highlights for the next 15 minutes. chick never did that.
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2018 7:15 pm    Post subject:

LakerLanny wrote:
epak wrote:

That's probably why Keith Erickson used to say no more than, "Yes SIR", "Good NIGHT", "Can you believe that?!" etc, during games. "wuuuuhWOW" was another one. That was his color analysis. Wow, with two syllables. In his defense, he was all about purposely allowing Chick 99.8% of the broadcast because he revered him as much as we did. Not saying Stu didn't, but two different humans. To prove that, Keith stepped away before his time. Stu sees it as a lifetime appointment.

My only problem with Stu now is that he's tired and the grumpiness is just too overbearing. I hope having Bron makes him happy so he can wanna be there for overtimes, but as I've said before, he was crabbin at the 09 parade because of the 8 am start time for coverage on Fox Sports Net. There were 5 other dudes in the shot, all of them smiling, including Rick Fox who was no longer an employee. When he was young and had to struggle to get his commentary in, he was actually a lot more observant than he is now and he cared to be cogent. He can still do that, but he fell into a pattern of his own -isms and gripes and that's not to mention his and Joel's "Walton/Snapper" routine. (PS: In the 92 Olympics games that Chick did with Snapper, he kept calling him Stu, heh). I guess that happens to a lot of older guys who've done the job for so long, but one of the great things about Chick is that he wasn't one of those guys. Chick created his -isms, that's another thing. He had a million catchphrases and terms, but the game calling was always fresh and stayed that way from era to era. He called them slam dunks when others were calling them crams, stuff shots, and dunk shots. I saw a game from 1967 and Chick coining the term slam dunk was proven true. Crams sounds dirty. Aren't you glad you didn't have to write a post claiming that Vince was the greatest crammer of all time, Lanny? You wouldn't have wanted to talk about another dude's cramjobs, I know it.
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2018 7:31 pm    Post subject:

Wino wrote:
useless or annoying whiny complaints that strange LG Laker fans make!!

NO IT'S NOT!...

(get it?)
Treble Clef
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2018 4:59 pm    Post subject:

dubaholic1 wrote:
Stu is beyond reproach. That man is a Los Angeles treasure.

My apologies if this wasn't meant as a joke but you have me DYING at work right now
BynumForThree
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2018 5:01 pm    Post subject:

CabinCreek44 wrote:
Judah wrote:
CabinCreek44 wrote:

The game has become boring. It's devolved into too much pass the ball around the perimeter and wait for someone to jack up a 3.
After a season of watching their 7-footer Brook Lopez camp out at the 3 point line and launch approximately 4.5 trey attempts per game, Laker fans might be acutely aware of the problem.

That's how most old-timers describe the modern game, but it isn't nearly as shallow as that. The only team that really fits that description is Houston.

And FWIW, I find the style of play in modern games to be a lot more entertaining than games from 30 years ago or more.

It's all in the eye of the beholder. Kind of like baseball today. Hit a home run or strike out. The fundamentals and nuances of the sport are fading away.

I prefer watching Mark Jackson back up a defender for 20 feet.

For all of you out there questioning Jimmer Fredette of BYU, he is the real deal. - Magic Johnson Mar 20, 2011
1hu2ren3dui4
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2018 4:42 pm    Post subject:

I love Stu. Btfu
lakez34
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2018 9:48 am    Post subject:

CabinCreek44 wrote:

The big miss imo was on Paul Sunderland. I thought he did a great job under the circumstances, first in filling in for Chick while he was ailing, and then getting the job full time after Chick passed. Of course he was no Chick, but he was a terrific pro, and the Lakers have whiffed badly twice since they chose to let Sunderland go.

Totally agree. I think he ended up being wrong place wrong time, in that nobody was going to rpelace Chick, yet fans and his bosses probably expected him to be just as good, which obviously was impossible. Since then, we've gone 0-2 with Joel and now Bill. At least Bill strikes me as a true Laker fan, or does a good job acting like one, but is way too much of a homer, and we had Joel, who just grated on me and obviously grated on STu.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 14, 15, 16, 17  Next
Page 15 of 17
Jump to: