Official Goodbye LUKE WALTON Thread (Luke/Lakers Part Ways, p. 792, Signs Deal with Kings p. 809)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 551, 552, 553 ... 816, 817, 818  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Judah
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2018 12:08 pm    Post subject:

I can't see Luke getting the brunt of the blame if things don't go well. The entire league has been baffled by these signings all summer and it's been reported from the beginning that this was all Magic's plan. And Magic has done interviews gladly taking credit for it and explaining what that plan is. What I would expect from the media if things go awry is to hold the FO accountable for putting this team together and expecting it to work.
JerryMagicKobe

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2018 1:27 pm    Post subject:

I think the arrival of Lebron, the addition of the rest of the veterans and the natural progression of the youngsters will make Luke look pretty good this season.
defense
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2018 2:41 pm    Post subject:

This past season I really saw some coaching improvements and potential in Luke. He has his issues, but who doesn't?

PS Steven A Smith is a douche cake
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2018 4:14 pm    Post subject:

Judah wrote:
I can't see Luke getting the brunt of the blame if things don't go well. The entire league has been baffled by these signings all summer and it's been reported from the beginning that this was all Magic's plan. And Magic has done interviews gladly taking credit for it and explaining what that plan is. What I would expect from the media if things go awry is to hold the FO accountable for putting this team together and expecting it to work.

Both (coach and front office) would be blamed. If you don't believe me. Ask Mike Brown, MDA, and Byron Scott. None of them made it to a year 3.
TheBlackMamba
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2018 4:51 pm    Post subject:

I think it may be an unpopular opinion around here, but what Luke did last year with a roster of parts that didn't fit, a major logjam at PF, a 19-year old rookie at PG with no depth behind him, and an incredibly young rotation overall was worthy of top 10 NBA coach status. At the very least, he's in the upper half of the league.
laker50
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2018 12:48 pm    Post subject:

There is already an article that says that Luke Walton is on the hot seat.
And he may be.
For expectations has changed. He has gone from a baby sitter to a real coach expected to get into the playoffs and maybe even win a championship.
The training wheels are off.

We we start with everyone on his side hoping he makes the transition.
It will not be an easy one.
Judah
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2018 2:56 pm    Post subject:

laker50 wrote:
And he may be.
For expectations has changed. He has gone from a baby sitter to a real coach expected to get into the playoffs and maybe even win a championship.

Well, if an article says it, it must be true.
SpunkieLakerCat
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2018 3:04 pm    Post subject:

TheBlackMamba wrote:
I think it may be an unpopular opinion around here, but what Luke did last year with a roster of parts that didn't fit, a major logjam at PF, a 19-year old rookie at PG with no depth behind him, and an incredibly young rotation overall was worthy of top 10 NBA coach status. At the very least, he's in the upper half of the league.

I happen to agree with you.

Coach Wooden
deal
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2018 3:05 pm    Post subject:

LOL, yeah we now need to play half court offense? Hell NO...
Villain6Activated
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2018 3:07 pm    Post subject:

I'll admit it, I have an irrational bias for Luke 'daddy' Walton.

First of all, he was one of those historic role players we've had over the years, I mean everyone remembers those "this guy is making 5 million dollars a month" memes from 2009ish right.

Secondly, he's the definition of an alpha male with his deep ass voice and ability to be loved by everyone. Shaq didn't do any rookie hazing on Luke because of how cool he was. Who else gets that kind of treatment?

Third, he's young and an elite coaching prospect. I mean I personally saw so much improvement from year one to year two. He's open to adapting and learning new things. What he did with last years roster was impressive IMO.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2018 3:10 pm    Post subject:

TheBlackMamba wrote:

Luke and his staff got the team to play defense. They got the team to play pretty well during the middle of the season when the schedule was favorable. The young players got better over the course of the season. I had no complaints about Luke, but now he gets the challenge of managing Lebron and the changes that he will bring. I think Luke is up to the challenge.
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2018 7:51 am    Post subject:

Breaking Down L.A.'s New Roster
Coach Mermuys Explains how LeBron and the Vets Impact the Young Core

https://www.nba.com/lakers/news/180806-breaking-down-new-roster
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2018 10:03 am    Post subject:

Judah wrote:
laker50 wrote:
And he may be.

It is hard to believe that a FO whose plan is to add a FA in 2019 and then compete would put their coach on the hot seat minus the hopeful final piece. I think that Luke would have to really screw up not to make it through the season.
deal
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2018 10:44 am    Post subject:

Judah wrote:
laker50 wrote:
And he may be.

Correct Judah, LOL. We need a real coach like one that has coached
the GSW !!! Luke did that? Well, someone older like Phil, so he can
slow down LeBron ! What? We want to play fast paced like Luke does?

Hum, maybe we keep Luke...

Seriously, the position is Luke's, but there are always a group of
fans and writer eager for someone to screwup. Those back seat drivers
always think they know best...

I'm wishing Luke well with this new challenge, the coaching flip flop
is just old.
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2018 4:26 pm    Post subject:

I think the most important coaching question is: who do you want out there directing traffic for the minutes Lebron sits?
Maybe ... Rondo? He's arguably the smartest player on the team. Maybe stagger his and LBJ's minutes, have a smart point on the floor at all times. Like HOU does.
Or maybe the young guys take a leap and can carry us stretches when Lebron rests? Luke has his work cut out for him.
You can play the "hot hand" game-to-game technique for only so long. The later it gets in the season, the more this roster will need clearly identified roles.
LakerLanny
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2018 4:39 pm    Post subject:

Hopefully someone will replace Screamin A Smith instead of Luke.

He needs a second act of some type at least. Or a long hiatus from the airwaves.
PartyMan
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2018 4:55 pm    Post subject:

kikanga wrote:
I think the most important coaching question is: who do you want out there directing traffic for the minutes Lebron sits?
Maybe ... Rondo? He's arguably the smartest player on the team. Maybe stagger his and LBJ's minutes, have a smart point on the floor at all times. Like HOU does.
Or maybe the young guys take a leap and can carry us stretches when Lebron rests? Luke has his work cut out for him.
You can play the "hot hand" game-to-game technique for only so long. The later it gets in the season, the more this roster will need clearly identified roles.

This is a good point. It would be smart to always have one of LBJ and Rondo out there as "coaches" on the floor. And assuming Lonzo starts, so Rondo can lead the bench mob, and assuming LeBron plays ~36 min, that probably will be the case.
LandsbergerRules
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2018 6:40 pm    Post subject:

TheBlackMamba wrote:

I agree. Winning 35 games in the West with Zo and BI out for long stretches of the season is no joke.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2018 10:04 pm    Post subject:

LandsbergerRules wrote:
TheBlackMamba wrote:

I agree. Winning 35 games in the West with Zo and BI out for long stretches of the season is no joke.

Team full of new key pieces (Lopez, KCP, Zo, Kuz, Hart)
One year contracts everywhere
Shadow of 2018 FA money
Lonzo missed 33 games
BI missed 20+
KCP spent his nights in jail (for a min)
Hart missed games
Made a major trade for 2 key players
Lost IT for the final games
God awful depth
Had an 0-9 stretch
Closed the season winning only 4/15 (4 of those losses were by 3 or less)

All in all, Luke did fantastic. His biggest mistake, if it was his call, was not starting Randle. He had some shaky moments in terms of play calling but it was substantially improved from year 1 as were his rotations. Year 1 he established a culture. Year 2 he established an identity and gained wins in the process. With the injuries, trades, FA rumors, and trade... again, he did well.

Some better luck and we probably win 41-45.

Luke is only on the hot seat if we don't make the playoffs.
Lakers_Jester
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2018 1:44 pm    Post subject:

Wonder what offense we will primarily see. Positionless everyone can ball handle shoot drive defend etc or lebron orchestrator?
PengShow
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2018 1:56 pm    Post subject:

Lakers_Jester wrote:
Wonder what offense we will primarily see. Positionless everyone can ball handle shoot drive defend etc or lebron orchestrator?

I think we'll run teams out of the building, it'll most likely be LeBron finishing plays rather than starting them.

He will probably be the focal point in the half-court though.
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2018 2:01 pm    Post subject:

NO DOUBT:
Luke and the Lakers are going to be exciting, entertaining and very good!!

https://getyarn.io/yarn-clip/a0e39722-de1d-4007-b1f2-e3e4b3e220df
Four Decade Bandwagon
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2018 2:28 pm    Post subject:

kikanga wrote:

Being productive during the times James is on the bench will be a key for the season. That is what killed the Cavs. Losing leads when he went to the bench. My preference would be if they could "keep" James at or under 30mpg on most nights. Either by keeping or extending leads.

I actually think the Lakers have enough playmakers to make it feasible.

Second unit could easily be Rondo, Hart, Stephenson or Beasley, Kuzma and Zubac or Wagner. Perhaps even extending Ingram's mpg to overlap into the rotation too. Potentially solid defense and multiple scoring threats going against other teams second units.

Most nights I like the matchups and potential. Lakers have the depth to play the hot hand when possible but not rely on it every night.
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2018 3:17 pm    Post subject:

TheBlackMamba wrote:

Yeah I don’t know about top 10. Luke was real shaky to start the season. Finished it off in good form though.
LKA
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2018 2:06 pm    Post subject:

Curious to see if Luke plays only the main rotational players for at least 1 of the 2 remaining preseason games
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 551, 552, 553 ... 816, 817, 818  Next
Page 552 of 818
Jump to: