OFFICIAL LONZO BALL THREAD
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 1140, 1141, 1142 ... 1686, 1687, 1688  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PauPau
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2018 5:25 am    Post subject:

kikanga wrote:
If Lonzo is good enough to beat out Rondo for the starting spot. We're sitting pretty. I hope it's a problem we have.

Not a particularly high bar if we're being honest but a much higher one than Tyler or Caruso I submit
yammy1688
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2018 7:04 am    Post subject:

PauPau wrote:
kikanga wrote:
If Lonzo is good enough to beat out Rondo for the starting spot. We're sitting pretty. I hope it's a problem we have.

Not a particularly high bar if we're being honest but a much higher one than Tyler or Caruso I submit

??? Um, that's an EXTREMELY high bar for a 2nd year PG.
mirak
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2018 7:10 am    Post subject:

PauPau wrote:
kikanga wrote:

People are really underrating playoff Rondo. That guy is a beast. He's one of those guys, like Sam Cassell, who steps it up under the spotlight (and has been doing so since he was a 20-something kid).
Villain6Activated
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2018 7:11 am    Post subject:

pokoy wrote:
Practice wrote:
Quote:
Ralph Mason
‏@Ralph_MasonJr
4h4 hours ago
More
Rondo on Lakers/Lonzo: “Whatever they ask me, you know, my main objective is to win, I'm ready to help develop Lonzo as much as possible. If I'm not starting and he's starting, he's going to be ready to go and ready for anybody that comes his way & we'll be ready to roll”

It's funny how people/the media keep trying to play them against each other.

I actually had the thought that it might have been just Magic telling Rondo what he needed to hear so he could sign him, while Luke was somewhere reading the report about all the spots are up for competition and he was like, "wait huh, what? Oh c'mon don't do this to me...."

lmfao I thought the same thing when I heard the "all the starting spots are up for grabs" comment by Magic. I was like damn, well this doesn't make things any easier for Luke
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2018 8:46 am    Post subject:

Practice wrote:
Quote:
Ralph Mason
‏@Ralph_MasonJr
4h4 hours ago
More
Rondo on Lakers/Lonzo: “Whatever they ask me, you know, my main objective is to win, I'm ready to help develop Lonzo as much as possible. If I'm not starting and he's starting, he's going to be ready to go and ready for anybody that comes his way & we'll be ready to roll”

They are competing for the starting PG spot.
Villain6Activated
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2018 9:01 am    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
Practice wrote:
Quote:
Ralph Mason
‏@Ralph_MasonJr
4h4 hours ago
More

They're not. Lonzo is starting if he's healthy, period.
epak
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2018 9:11 am    Post subject:

1ngr4m wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
Practice wrote:
Quote:
Ralph Mason
‏@Ralph_MasonJr
4h4 hours ago
More

I dont know if it's a done deal.
But I'm hoping the chances of Lonzo and Rondo sharing a backcourt is higher than Rondo starting over Lonzo.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2018 9:24 am    Post subject:

Teams could hack away
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2018 9:27 am    Post subject:

1ngr4m wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
Practice wrote:
Quote:
Ralph Mason
‏@Ralph_MasonJr
4h4 hours ago
More

I think Lonzo can earn the spot....but if he does not play to the level to earn it, I am not so sure it will be given to him.
Villain6Activated
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2018 9:28 am    Post subject:

epak wrote:
1ngr4m wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
Practice wrote:
Quote:
Ralph Mason
‏@Ralph_MasonJr
4h4 hours ago
More

But I'm hoping the chances of Lonzo and Rondo sharing a backcourt is higher than Rondo starting over Lonzo.

I just don't see how starting a 32 year old journey man over a 21 year old sophomore that you spent an entire year labeling as the "future face of the franchise" when that 32 year isn't even that much better if better at all makes any sense.

Doesn't make sense long term or short term IMO
epak
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2018 9:31 am    Post subject:

1ngr4m wrote:
epak wrote:
1ngr4m wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
Practice wrote:
Quote:
Ralph Mason
‏@Ralph_MasonJr
4h4 hours ago
More

I just don't see how starting a 32 year old journey man over a 21 year old sophomore that you spent an entire year labeling as the "future face of the franchise" when that 32 year isn't even that much better if better at all makes any sense.

I believe both our assumptions are that Lonzo improves. I say Lonzo at even a slight improvement starts over Rondo.

I think others are leaving room for Rondo to not regress and for Lonzo to not improve. Which are possible. But probable? I think Lonzo starts this year as well, but just saying it's not a done deal yet.
Annihilator
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2018 9:45 am    Post subject:

epak wrote:
I believe both our assumptions are that Lonzo improves. I say Lonzo at even a slight improvement starts over Rondo.

I think others are leaving room for Rondo to not regress and for Lonzo to not improve. Which are possible. But probable? I think Lonzo starts this year as well, but just saying it's not a done deal yet.

To me, this sounds reasonable.

--Anonymous
manlisten
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2018 10:09 am    Post subject:

epak wrote:
1ngr4m wrote:
epak wrote:
1ngr4m wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
Practice wrote:
Quote:
Ralph Mason
‏@Ralph_MasonJr
4h4 hours ago
More

This has been my thinking also. As long as Zo shows improvement he'll get the start even if Rondo out plays him in camp. I think it needs to be a significant jump for Zo however.
It was reminiscent of one of those Most Interesting Man in the World advertisements: "I don't always shoot 6-for-28 from the field, but when I do, I become the youngest player in league history to score 28,000 career points."
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2018 11:08 am    Post subject:

mirak wrote:
PauPau wrote:
kikanga wrote:

People are really underrating playoff Rondo. That guy is a beast. He's one of those guys, like Sam Cassell, who steps it up under the spotlight (and has been doing so since he was a 20-something kid).

No, we are correctly rating regular season Rondo. He just isn't good. Rookie Lonzo Ball was better than regular season Rondo last year, even with all of Ball's shooting problems. Regular season Rondo sucked on both sides of the ball.

Then, in 9 playoff games, Rondo sucked on only one side of the ball. He actually played some defense for a few games, but he still sucked on offense. That's great, but we need to make the playoffs before we find out whether regular season Rondo transforms into playoff Rondo.
Laker's Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2018 11:20 am    Post subject:

Lonzo's deficiencies (shooting, health, PnR game and finishing at the rim) are loud. His strengths (passing, rebounding, defense, unselfishness, decision making, guys love playing with him) are quiet. Offseason that gets worse as fans remember the loud stuff more.

Lonzo is a force multiplier for the talent around him. If he's used correctly in the rotations, his on floor / off floor +/- is going to crazy good this season.
lakerican
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2018 1:33 pm    Post subject:

Actually, we overpaid Rondo for mentoring Lonzo & having a capable Backup PG just in case Lonzo get injured. Even Rondo has said it.
kball
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2018 2:00 pm    Post subject:

I'm feeling Rondo has the slight edge in starting w Lonzo coming off yet another injury.

But i'm more interested who plays last 7 minutes of 4th in close games.

And not at all sure Lonzo is that guy either.

But i hope he is.
Might just need a bit more confidence for everything to come together for him
CervantesRises
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2018 2:07 pm    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
mirak wrote:
PauPau wrote:
kikanga wrote:

No, we are correctly rating regular season Rondo. He just isn't good. Rookie Lonzo Ball was better than regular season Rondo last year, even with all of Ball's shooting problems. Regular season Rondo sucked on both sides of the ball.

Then, in 9 playoff games, Rondo sucked on only one side of the ball. He actually played some defense for a few games, but he still sucked on offense. That's great, but we need to make the playoffs before we find out whether regular season Rondo transforms into playoff Rondo.

Assists count as offensive production...as do offensive rebounds...and pace counts as well even if not directly indicative of offensive contributions...which posts like this hot garbage usually can be classified as as well.

#BannersOverBillboards
governator
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2018 2:10 pm    Post subject:

1ngr4m wrote:
epak wrote:
1ngr4m wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
Practice wrote:
Quote:
Ralph Mason
‏@Ralph_MasonJr
4h4 hours ago
More

Whichever one clicks with LeBron prob gonna start
kawhileonard
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2018 3:07 pm    Post subject:

Realistically, if Lebron plays the way he has his whole career.

Josh Hart + KCP would make the most sense at the guard positions.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2018 3:11 pm    Post subject:

CervantesRises wrote:
Assists count as offensive production...as do offensive rebounds...and pace counts as well even if not directly indicative of offensive contributions...which posts like this hot garbage usually can be classified as as well.

ORPM -0.60
DRPM -0.37

OBPM -0.4
DRPM -0.7

When it’s your 12th season in the league, you’re joining your sixth team since the end of the 2014 season, and your last team was worse on both sides of the court when you were playing, the term “hot garbage” just might be appropriate.
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2018 4:21 pm    Post subject:

governator wrote:

Whichever one clicks with LeBron prob gonna start

And finish.
Judah
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2018 7:00 pm    Post subject:

I expect Lonzo to start unless Rondo shows he has better chemistry with LeBron.

But then again, since the offense will be designed with LeBron in the post for the most part, you'd think that there should be a player out there in the lineup with him who can run screen roll. That's not one of Lonzo’s strengths at this point, obviously. Maybe BI shows some improvement there during the preseason. If not, that could be a potential benefit of starting Rondo.
3baller
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2018 7:16 am    Post subject:

Lonzo has impressive playmaking ability and has so far shown he can be an elite defender as well. He's starting for us if he's healthy.

His inability to finish at the rim at a decent rate and atrocious free throw shooting though is a serious concern which I hope he could significantly improve on this summer.
oldlakerfan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2018 7:48 am    Post subject:

I think it will be a battle and Luke will play whoever plays best.

Both will pay a lot and may together.

Rondo is going to help with Lonzo development which is a great thing.

Lonzo may be a little slow coming back from surgery.

We are in a win this year mode so that may dictate who starts.

It will take a month or 2 for Luke to figure out the starters rotation.

Lonzo needs to prove he is healthy and limiting his minutes may keep him healthy for the whole season and get him ready for the playoffs.

Important not to over react to what we see early in season.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 1140, 1141, 1142 ... 1686, 1687, 1688  Next
Page 1141 of 1688
Jump to: