OFFICIAL GENERAL FREE AGENCY/TRADE THREAD
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 8558, 8559, 8560  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2018 1:27 pm    Post subject:

Outspoken wrote:
It's rumored that Jahlil Okafor is gonna take a training camp deal with the Pelicans. We could invite him to training camp and see what he can do in preseason. I think we have a 15 man roster right now though, but I'm not sure.

What value does he bring to the Lakers?

McGee, Zub, Wagner >>>> Oak.
Jesusdelonla
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2018 2:09 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
Outspoken wrote:
It's rumored that Jahlil Okafor is gonna take a training camp deal with the Pelicans. We could invite him to training camp and see what he can do in preseason. I think we have a 15 man roster right now though, but I'm not sure.

yes Wagner >>>> Oak
cyborgspider
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2018 2:44 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:

Moratorium gives a bit of time to do that.

Lakers can approach max FAs with 100% confidence they can clear the cap either by stretch or trade of Deng. If they can't find anyone, they can stretch him and not leave cap space clearing to other teams.

I think it'll play out like this: one max guy agrees to come. Lakers then make a deal with the Best Member of the "Suicide Squad" to use their room exception on him (my money's on Rondo, but maybe Beez. Maybe somebody new, whatever). Let's say next year's Room MLE is 5m. The intent is to stretch Deng to sign the max guy, but they wait out the Hawks, Nets, Kings & Magic.

If/when those teams strike out, Lakers swoop in to dump Deng on them, effectively shaving 6m off the cap. Now they can go back to Rondo, say "Look! We found an extra million lying around! Take this instead of the Room" and then use the Room that would've gone to Rondo for someone else.

My point is, I don't think they'll be up against any deadlines or ultimatums with the Deng deal. They go into FA expecting a stretch, and if a DUMP magically opens up for them, it's found money and essentially opens up another Room MLE contract.
Outspoken
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2018 4:25 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
Outspoken wrote:

I could agree with that, even with oakfor's offensive arsenal. I just think it'll be fine to give him a training camp look for competitive reasons. To be honest, if oakfor cared to improve himself defensively, didn't have suspect work ethic, and haven't shown to be a bone head, he would be a threat and the edge over them all; except maybe wagner. As it stands, he isn't and has 1 step out of the league, already, which is a shame.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2018 5:06 pm    Post subject:

Jesusdelonla wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
Outspoken wrote:

yes Wagner >>>> Oak

I could go along with the theory that Wagner's game is a better fit for the modern game, and if he develops properly....at his higher end outcome he could be better than Okafor....but not sure how this conclusion is reached after a couple summer league games where he was never even the best player on the court.

Just consider that Wagner arrived at Michigan one year after Okafor arrived at Duke. In one season @ Duke, Okafor's accomplishments...

- Consensus first-team All-American
- National Freshman of the Year
- Pete Newell Big Man Award
- NCAA National Champion
- ACC Player of the Year
- ACC Rookie of the Year
- First-team All-ACC

In 3 years @ Michigan, Wagner's accomplishments....

- Second-team All-Big Ten (as a Junior)

Okafor followed up his college year with NBA 1st Team All Rookie honors putting up far superior statistics in the NBA than Wagner ever came close to in college. So I would hold off on any claims about Wagner being a superior player until he shows at least some signs of it being true.
Laker's Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2018 5:43 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
LAkers 4 Life wrote:
Wait, so is everyone suggesting that the Lakers can reach an agreement with a max player before they can actually get rid of Deng? I assume that means as long as the contract isn't signed yet, they can pursue all avenues to dump Deng. I'm not sure how that will work out. Lakers will need to have a team strike out quickly in free agency before being willing to deal with them. The Lakers can't just wait around for other teams to assemble their rosters before deciding to come back to talk a Deng deal. It could be late in the offseason at that point and the Lakers will need to address other needs.

Moratorium gives a bit of time to do that.

Lakers can approach max FAs with 100% confidence they can clear the cap either by stretch or trade of Deng. If they can't find anyone, they can stretch him and not leave cap space clearing to other teams.

Yup, they control their own fate in terms of offering max space. Pelinka described the reluctance of other teams to help the Lakers. I imagine that sentiment has only grown now that they've added LeBron. But if the starting point gives LA an avenue to a max slot in 2019 without another team's help, that should make finding a deal easier. It sets the leverage in LA's favor with a rich cap environment on the other end of the negotiating table (teams don't have to wrestle with being the one that set LA up with a contender).

If they aren't going to give him a shot at minutes, I'm not sure they won't look to resolve the Deng issue before the season starts though. He's going to have to give back real money to get his release, but I think LA pushes for that. I know others will balk at this figure, but I'm thinking he has to give back around $10 million. Then they waive him after 9/1 and he's on the books for $2.9M in 2019 (plus two more years).
Lakerfan 4 Life
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2018 7:25 pm    Post subject:

Would you do this trade for Luol Deng?

Quote:
Los Angeles Lakers Erase Luol Deng from the Books

Los Angeles Lakers Get: Jeremy Lin, 2019 second-round pick (via Charlotte Hornets)

Atlanta Hawks Get: Luol Deng, 2019 first-round pick, 2021 first-round pick (top-20 protected)

This is asking a ton of the Atlanta Hawks front office after it already absorbed and bought out Carmelo Anthony's bloated contract to ship off Dennis Schroder to the Oklahoma City Thunder. But if they're willing to pay Luol Deng and assume even more financial responsibility, they should be able to get additional assets in future drafts that could help facilitate a stronger rebuild.

So let's operate under the assumption that the Peach State ownership team is indeed willing to shoulder those monetary burdens for the sake of future progress. If that's the case, why wouldn't the Lakers be willing to slough off Deng's albatross contract and attach first-round picks that are losing value as the team continues to improve?

Now that LeBron James is aboard, those selections aren't going to fall in the lottery. They may be closer to second-round selections by the time 2021 rolls around, especially because this move would clear up even more cap space for the pursuit of blockbuster additions in the summer of 2019.

Neither side would be particularly pleased with this swap. And yet, it would have long-term benefits for both.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2788613-1-trade-idea-for-every-nba-team-post-free-agency#slide14
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2018 7:26 pm    Post subject:

^ I think this is why they didn’t want to give jules a long term deal bc any deal would likely have had to be over 12m (which his camp offered at the beginning of last season) which would put a 2019 max slot in peril.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2018 7:48 pm    Post subject:

Lakerfan 4 Life wrote:

Quote:

Los Angeles Lakers Get: Jeremy Lin, 2019 second-round pick (via Charlotte Hornets)

Atlanta Hawks Get: Luol Deng, 2019 first-round pick, 2021 first-round pick (top-20 protected)

This is asking a ton of the Atlanta Hawks front office after it already absorbed and bought out Carmelo Anthony's bloated contract to ship off Dennis Schroder to the Oklahoma City Thunder. But if they're willing to pay Luol Deng and assume even more financial responsibility, they should be able to get additional assets in future drafts that could help facilitate a stronger rebuild.

So let's operate under the assumption that the Peach State ownership team is indeed willing to shoulder those monetary burdens for the sake of future progress. If that's the case, why wouldn't the Lakers be willing to slough off Deng's albatross contract and attach first-round picks that are losing value as the team continues to improve?

Now that LeBron James is aboard, those selections aren't going to fall in the lottery. They may be closer to second-round selections by the time 2021 rolls around, especially because this move would clear up even more cap space for the pursuit of blockbuster additions in the summer of 2019.

Neither side would be particularly pleased with this swap. And yet, it would have long-term benefits for both.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2788613-1-trade-idea-for-every-nba-team-post-free-agency#slide14

I would strongly consider it....allows the FO to know exactly the hand they will hold next summer, and allow decisions at the trade deadline that may not be possible if we are still concerned with Deng (like adding money that does not expire if low enough to still offer 2019 Max). I would try hard to change that 2021 pick to a 2022 1st even if I had to reduce protections to only lottery.
LakerMindLA
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2018 8:02 pm    Post subject:

cyborgspider wrote:
If/when those teams strike out, Lakers swoop in to dump Deng on them, effectively shaving 6m off the cap.

I think there is no way Lakers will be forced to stretch Deng. At worst they’ll trade him an expiring contract (or a 2 year contract) in the $12-14 range.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2018 5:19 am    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
Lakerfan 4 Life wrote:

Quote:

I would strongly consider it....allows the FO to know exactly the hand they will hold next summer, and allow decisions at the trade deadline that may not be possible if we are still concerned with Deng (like adding money that does not expire if low enough to still offer 2019 Max). I would try hard to change that 2021 pick to a 2022 1st even if I had to reduce protections to only lottery.

2021 will be a monster draft if they allow high school kids to enter the draft again as rumored.

So that means the lottery will essentially be top 20-22 just by virtue of adding 7-8 high school kids who will skip college.

I'd be very weary about trading a 2021 pick just to get off of Deng.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2018 5:39 am    Post subject:

Oak is signing with the Pels. Partial guarantee this season and team option in 2019-20 per WOJ.
Jesusdelonla
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2018 5:59 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
Oak is signing with the Pels. Partial guarantee this season and team option in 2019-20 per WOJ.

With randle, ok4 and mirotic they want to overtake the Last year Lakers with the worst defense in paint title
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2018 6:01 am    Post subject:

Jesusdelonla wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

With randle, ok4 and mirotic they want to overtake the Last year Lakers with the worst defense in paint title

I think they'll be fine. Jules was a good pickup for them. Oak is probably a minimum deal so there's no long term damage for them regardless. Pretty steep fall from a #3 pick to a minimum partially guaranteed deal.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2018 7:10 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
adkindo wrote:
Lakerfan 4 Life wrote:

Quote:

2021 will be a monster draft if they allow high school kids to enter the draft again as rumored.

So that means the lottery will essentially be top 20-22 just by virtue of adding 7-8 high school kids who will skip college.

VERY good point, Yinoma.

Isn't that Bronny Jr's year as well?

Just sayin......
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2018 8:39 am    Post subject:

Jesusdelonla wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

I notice you didn’t include Davis, that kind of spoils the agenda, doesn’t it?
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2018 8:53 am    Post subject:

players respect Alvin Gentry and his philosophy, if Okafor can’t get his act together in New Orleans he never will.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2018 9:03 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
adkindo wrote:
Lakerfan 4 Life wrote:

Quote:

yeah, that is why I would prefer to lower to protections to move it out to 2022.
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2018 12:06 pm    Post subject:

DONE:

Pelicans reach deal with free agent Jahlil Okafor

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/24318572/new-orleans-pelicans-reach-1-year-deal-jahlil-okafor
cyborgspider
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2018 12:25 pm    Post subject:

Laker's Fan wrote:
I know others will balk at this figure, but I'm thinking he has to give back around $10 million. Then they waive him after 9/1 and he's on the books for $2.9M in 2019 (plus two more years).

That would make me soooo happy Maybe he's got two more minimum one-year contracts in him, which is about 5m, so maybe that's the buyout amount. But yeah, keeping all assets and having a minimal 3m cap hit sounds great.
Laker's Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2018 12:28 pm    Post subject:

pio2u wrote:
DONE:

Pelicans reach deal with free agent Jahlil Okafor

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/24318572/new-orleans-pelicans-reach-1-year-deal-jahlil-okafor

Maybe they figure Okafor and Davis can pair offensively in the way Davis and Boogie were starting to. Davis can make up for a lot of defensive deficiencies and Okafor has legit offensive talent. If Oak really commits, they certainly have every incentive to turn this into something with the minimum team option and both Mirotic and Randle likely free agents in a year. He has to put in the work but I see him getting a real chance.
Laker's Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2018 12:31 pm    Post subject:

cyborgspider wrote:
Laker's Fan wrote:
I know others will balk at this figure, but I'm thinking he has to give back around $10 million. Then they waive him after 9/1 and he's on the books for $2.9M in 2019 (plus two more years).

That would make me soooo happy Maybe he's got two more minimum one-year contracts in him, which is about 5m, so maybe that's the buyout amount. But yeah, keeping all assets and having a minimal 3m cap hit sounds great.

States like Minnesota and Florida have significantly lower/zero income taxes than California. So the difference could be even less.
cyborgspider
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2018 12:34 pm    Post subject:

Laker's Fan wrote:

States like Minnesota and Florida have significantly lower/zero income taxes than California. So the difference could be even less.

I'd personally drive him to Miami or Minneapolis if that happens. Just lie in the backseat Luol, plug in your smartphone to the DC charger, and let me know what music you wanna listen to. I'll stop by the Sonics & Bakers for food along the way.
AFireInside619
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2018 1:12 pm    Post subject:

cyborgspider wrote:
Laker's Fan wrote:

I'd personally drive him to Miami or Minneapolis if that happens. Just lie in the backseat Luol, plug in your smartphone to the DC charger, and let me know what music you wanna listen to. I'll stop by the Sonics & Bakers for food along the way.

If you time it right you can hit Sonic Happy Hour.
cyborgspider
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2018 2:22 pm    Post subject:

Noah's getting stretched according to Woj, if they can't trade him before September 1st

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/24323522/new-york-knicks-david-fizdale-plan-part-joakim-noah

Curious if this sets the benchmark for a Deng move as well

(AND NO, I don't want the Lakers to bring in Noah as a backup C, as much as that will be suggested on Reddit & Twitter)
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 8558, 8559, 8560  Next
Page 5 of 8560
Jump to: