Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2018 10:01 pm    Post subject:

jonnybravo wrote:
22 wrote:
Even if the base price is sub 60k, won’t be getting them for that price thanks to dealer markups. If the car is a flop and doesn’t sell then only need to wait a few months or a model year for the ADMs to disappear.

I’m still reserving judgment till I see the final product, but there are soooo many good sport cars out rn for that price point

This. Crazy.

Imo, it's going to be a crazy flop at 60K. Maybe niche buyers with money that want to relive the Supra era. At 60K, Toyota is shooting into neighborhoods Toyota doesn't normally play in. Maybe if they want to go ultra-lux and rebadge it as a Lexus. As I mentioned before, with the RC-F base going for 65K...under what scenario does a 60K Supra make sense? I only bring up the RC-F since it's under the Toyota umbrella. Expanded further and there are some iconic cars in this range. I'd personally with Mike's suggestion and get a lightly used Cayman S.

Even the Gen IV Supra back in the day was expensive. 40k for the non-turbo version and 50k+ for the iconic turbo model. People bought Corvettes over the Supra back then. Now the Gen IV Supras are collectors items, especially the un-modded turbo ones which have pretty much held their value. I don't think the new Supra will be as iconic as the previous generation just because it doesn't have a manual transmission and also it doesn't have an iron block I6 engine that basically made it a good base for mods.
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2018 10:14 pm    Post subject:

lakersken80 wrote:
jonnybravo wrote:
22 wrote:
Even if the base price is sub 60k, won’t be getting them for that price thanks to dealer markups. If the car is a flop and doesn’t sell then only need to wait a few months or a model year for the ADMs to disappear.

I’m still reserving judgment till I see the final product, but there are soooo many good sport cars out rn for that price point

This. Crazy.

Imo, it's going to be a crazy flop at 60K. Maybe niche buyers with money that want to relive the Supra era. At 60K, Toyota is shooting into neighborhoods Toyota doesn't normally play in. Maybe if they want to go ultra-lux and rebadge it as a Lexus. As I mentioned before, with the RC-F base going for 65K...under what scenario does a 60K Supra make sense? I only bring up the RC-F since it's under the Toyota umbrella. Expanded further and there are some iconic cars in this range. I'd personally with Mike's suggestion and get a lightly used Cayman S.

Even the Gen IV Supra back in the day was expensive. 40k for the non-turbo version and 50k+ for the iconic turbo model. People bought Corvettes over the Supra back then. Now the Gen IV Supras are collectors items, especially the un-modded turbo ones which have pretty much held their value. I don't think the new Supra will be as iconic as the previous generation just because it doesn't have a manual transmission and also it doesn't have an iron block I6 engine that basically made it a good base for mods.

That's true but we're living in a revolutionary horsepower era. Back then the Gen IV Supra was a beast along with the other 3 of the 4 horsemen of Japanese GT's (3000gt, 300Zx, Rx7). 60K and I get the same motor as a 235I? Mmmm...yeah they're going to have to come correct in this era to warrant 60K.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2018 6:35 am    Post subject:

I don’t think the USA is getting the 4 cylinder model. From what I know This car will be coming in 1 trim level. Either the B58 or S55. If Toyota does this right and I hope they do. It should 2 trims

The 4 cylinder with the b48 motor which should cost around 40k and the top of the line Supra with the S55 motor which should cost 60k
BadGuy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2018 7:54 am    Post subject:

999 wrote:
ringfinger wrote:
BadGuy wrote:
999 wrote:
adkindo wrote:
are they still expected to be offered @ a price range that starts below $50K?

No way. expect to pay mid 60 for this car.

If this is the case, I am not sure why anyone would opt for this car over a S4 or BMW 340.

What about C43 AMG? Thoughts?

That's ok.. would rather have a infiniti q60 red sport

I test drove the red sport, and it is a beast! Haven't driven the C43, but I heard it's pretty awesome too! My preference is the S4 in this class; I plan to get a CPO one soon to replace my beater '04 Civic.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2018 8:03 am    Post subject:

holy crap didn't know they were shooting for under 3000lbs weight?!

That would be pretty crazy if they reached thatr weight! I'm assuming this is dry weight with no fluids
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2018 10:10 am    Post subject:

22 wrote:

That would be pretty crazy if they reached thatr weight! I'm assuming this is dry weight with no fluids

From what I read, it looks like the Toyota variant will be more performance oriented and the BMW more luxury. Pretty exciting either way if you're a fan of either cars.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2018 1:10 pm    Post subject:

BadGuy wrote:
999 wrote:
ringfinger wrote:
BadGuy wrote:
999 wrote:
adkindo wrote:

If this is the case, I am not sure why anyone would opt for this car over a S4 or BMW 340.

I test drove the red sport, and it is a beast! Haven't driven the C43, but I heard it's pretty awesome too! My preference is the S4 in this class; I plan to get a CPO one soon to replace my beater '04 Civic.

keep the beater ... so many things you can do to an 04 civic
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2018 1:23 pm    Post subject:

jonnybravo wrote:
22 wrote:

From what I read, it looks like the Toyota variant will be more performance oriented and the BMW more luxury. Pretty exciting either way if you're a fan of either cars.

Yeah JB that part does get me hype!

Cars in general weigh a ton more nowadawys due to saftey features and amenities. It'll be cool to see a light one slip through the cracks. I hope they don't skimp on the HP
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Gatekeeper
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2018 3:39 pm    Post subject:

BadGuy wrote:
999 wrote:
ringfinger wrote:
BadGuy wrote:
999 wrote:
adkindo wrote:

Genesis G70 comes out this month. The 3.3T comes in around 50K all in and has more power than anything else in the class except for the Red Sport.

MotorTrend - G70 First Drive
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2018 4:35 pm    Post subject:

Gatekeeper wrote:
BadGuy wrote:
999 wrote:
ringfinger wrote:
BadGuy wrote:
999 wrote:
adkindo wrote:

Genesis G70 comes out this month. The 3.3T comes in around 50K all in and has more power than anything else in the class except for the Red Sport.

that g70 console looks very BMW'ish
Gatekeeper
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2018 4:56 pm    Post subject:

999 wrote:
Gatekeeper wrote:
BadGuy wrote:
999 wrote:
ringfinger wrote:
BadGuy wrote:
999 wrote:
adkindo wrote:

that g70 console looks very BMW'ish

I'm sure Biermann (former M division boss) had his say in the design. Luc Donckerwolke (former VW group designer) has taken over the studio from Schreyer. The guy oversaw the design of Lamborghinis (Diablo VT, Murcielago, Gallardo) and Bentleys (Flying Spur and Speed 6 which later became the current Continental).

I see a lot more Bentley/Audi influence in the exterior and interior designs than BMW.
Dr. Funkbot
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2018 9:44 am    Post subject:

I don't like the F-1 protruding nose design language. IMO F-1 cars are ugly, not sure why designers continue to try and foist open wheel asthetics on road cars.

The Mclaren SLR still hurts my eyes to this day.
Gatekeeper
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2018 9:49 am    Post subject:

Dr. Funkbot wrote:
I don't like the F-1 protruding nose design language. IMO F-1 cars are ugly, not sure why designers continue to try and foist open wheel asthetics on road cars.

Add SLK and Enzo to your list.
Dr. Funkbot
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2018 8:36 am    Post subject:

Gatekeeper wrote:
Dr. Funkbot wrote:

Add SLK and Enzo to your list.

Amen to that!
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2018 8:23 pm    Post subject:

First look at the production version of the sister car to the new Supra, the BMW Z4 with the TT Straight 6.

Not my personal style of car/driving but it’s definitely nice!
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2018 9:08 pm    Post subject:

22 wrote:
https://youtu.be/WXYqKKhHTNE

First look at the production version of the sister car to the new Supra, the BMW Z4 with the TT Straight 6.

Priced at 50g's starting. No way the Supra is going to be 80. I kind of like it but I don't know how I feel about how similar it looks to Mercedes' current styling for it's coupes.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2018 10:40 pm    Post subject:

jonnybravo wrote:
22 wrote:

Priced at 50g's starting. No way the Supra is going to be 80. I kind of like it but I don't know how I feel about how similar it looks to Mercedes' current styling for it's coupes.

Dangit JB now I can’t unsee that comparison

As with any new design though sometimes they take a while to grow on you
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2018 10:40 pm    Post subject:

jonnybravo wrote:
22 wrote:

jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2018 10:43 pm    Post subject:

22 wrote:
jonnybravo wrote:
22 wrote:

I think it looks good. It's just that it doesn't have that "whoa, I haven't seen that before" feel. The first 3 generations of the Z4 were completely unique for their era...nothing out there that looked close to them.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2018 6:32 am    Post subject:

just got word that the new Supra is not the traditional 2+2 that we have seen with past generations it will be a straight 2 seater. Not sure if it matters with any potential buyers out there.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2018 8:36 am    Post subject:

^^^ all more reason to hold on to the MK4 I guess
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2018 9:22 am    Post subject:

999 wrote:

Yup. I don't see where Toyota is going with this car if it's essentially the hardtop version of the Z4.

I was hoping the new Supra would be more of a Corvette fighter. Oh well, it'll prob be a good car just not my cup of tea
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2018 9:19 pm    Post subject:

999 wrote:
just got word that the new Supra is not the traditional 2+2 that we have seen with past generations it will be a straight 2 seater. Not sure if it matters with any potential buyers out there.

Don't think it will matter....nobody except a midget or child could fit in the back seat anyways and I don't think its very safe for a human being to sit there with no leg room.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2018 9:21 pm    Post subject:

999 wrote:

MK IV Supra is a collectible especially the ones that are unmodified and bone stock. Even with inflation, it is probably more expensive now than when it was new back in the 90's.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2018 10:24 pm    Post subject:

lakersken80 wrote:
999 wrote:

MK IV Supra is a collectible especially the ones that are unmodified and bone stock. Even with inflation, it is probably more expensive now than when it was new back in the 90's.

When it was new in 93 it had a 48K dollar price tag. Now - completely bone stock low mileage can run for almost 90k
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 2 of 6
Jump to: