Blake Griffin ordered to pay $258k per month for child support.
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2018 8:35 am    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
adkindo wrote:
I would just inject that the primary purpose of determining an amount for child support is to protect the child from the economic impact associated with a divorce or separation of parents. Therefore in theory, if the child is use to living a particular lifestyle, and after the separation one parent can continue to provide that lifestyle while the other is unable...the courts will attempt to close that gap in lifestyle as much as possible. So if one parent is earning over $30 Million a year, and the other is earning less than $100K annually.....it is going to take a large number to provide that child a similar lifestyle with the lower income parent. The court is not overly concerned if one parent appears to significantly benefit as long as the child is protected. That is why we see these cases that seem crazy on the surface where a parent learns they are not even the biological parent, but are forced to pay child support.

The primary purpose of child support is providing for the needs of the child. Child support is not permissible to subsidize the lifestyle of the lower income parent. Most states have some sort of cap on the amount of child support that can awarded. The courts usually have flexibility to exceed that amount in rare cases, but child support is not alimony.

I fully understand your a lawyer...but I disagree with the purpose of child support as you defined....at least in the state of FL. When I went though my divorce....it was pounded in my head via the classes we had to take, etc. that the primary purpose of determining an amount for child support is to protect the child from the economic impact associated with a divorce or separation of parents, as I stated above. The court attempts to ensure the child can have a standard of living with both parents similar to the one experienced before the separation. Also saying it is not permissible to subsidize the lifestyle of the lower income parent is extremely grey as it is extremely difficult to separate out those items.....Mom got a new Maserati to take little Jacob to school...
kball
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2018 12:13 pm    Post subject:

Call it a hunch...

bet these kids are left out of the will
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2018 5:15 pm    Post subject:

can you imagine if kobe and vanessa went through with their divorce how much money she would be raking in..... Gawd dayum
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2018 5:39 pm    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
at least in the state of FL

I can't speak to that. However, Griffin is apparently paying $16k/month per kid. While that is high, it's nothing particularly noteworthy.
Vancouver Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2018 11:06 am    Post subject:

I wonder if it is possible to pay the total amount in a lump sum up front?
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2018 1:40 pm    Post subject:

Vancouver Fan wrote:
I wonder if it is possible to pay the total amount in a lump sum up front?

No. That would not be in the best interests of the child for obvious reasons. It is possible to handle it through an annuity, but that gets tricky because child support can be raised or lowered over time.
carlosLisboa
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2018 12:44 am    Post subject:

E see BG bankrupt within 5 years after retirement.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
Jump to: