We are going to LOCK teams up and demoralize them this season
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CervantesRises
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2018 2:15 pm    Post subject:

TooMuchMajicBuss wrote:
Rim protection is my biggest concern when it comes to locking opponents down. How do we keep someone like Gobert from scoring at will? McGee is likely to be very limited in his minutes, so Zubac is going to have to be ready for some heavy lifting as well when we need rim protection this season.

Other than that I think we're in good shape. Oddly enough, it's the seasoned vets that are more of a question mark than our young guys, who are solid on defense.

Gobert has a high of 35 points and has done that exactly 1 time in his NBA career. He's a top tier defender...scoring? Not so much.

#BannersOverBillboards
CervantesRises
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2018 2:26 pm    Post subject:

RobinInHood wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
22 wrote:
Gatekeeper wrote:
Chronicle wrote:
We'll force them to miss the shot but then we'll give up the rebound

Julius.
still hurts fam

Everyone pretty much hurts after the moves and young guys in the past few years. DLO, Nance, JC, Jules...we all were fans of these guys to varying degrees. Sad but happens.

Yep. The old core, god bless’em. It’s crazy to think they were our future just 2 years ago.

If Jules keeps playing like he did after January, then we'll miss him...if he plays like he did from year 2 to December 2017...we will not.

JC...I think we saw what he brings to the playoffs unfortunately for him...but good for us. Streaky player that never came across as highly intelligent or a player with excellent study habits.

DLO...he regressed in health, 3 point shooting, turnovers last year, never will be a good defender, and was a polarizing figure without the all-star ability...netted us Kuz or Hart (However you want to look at it) and LeBron...won't be missed.

Larry...ironically this will probably be the player we all miss the most out of those 4. Hard worker, solid team defender, good in the locker room, only 1 of the 4 that didn't overvalue his abilities acting like he was a better player than he is just because he wore the Laker Jersey.

1. Larry
1A. Jules
16B. DLO
17. JC

My 2 cents

#BannersOverBillboards
waterman40
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2018 2:50 pm    Post subject:

That bench mob of Rondo, Hart, Lance, Kuzma, and either Zubac or Beasley is going to run quite a few second teams off the floor. I think we are going to have some games where starting the 4th quarter, the Lakers have a modest lead, and the bench comes in and blows the game wide open.
70sdude
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2018 4:17 pm    Post subject:

^ By second unit, I guess you think Rondo won't start or finish many games.

I'd like to see that come to pass myself, but I figure that the end game scenario will very often be this: Rondo, LeBron, Lonzo, Kuzma and Hart - when they are healthy enough to play.
DShotMaker1824
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2018 5:00 pm    Post subject:

yammy1688 wrote:
Want to re-iterate what I initially said.

Not a team beats us in length + athleticism, ANTICIPATION.

That's a true statement I believe. That to me is a recipe to disrupt more 3's than any other team.

There's Golden State, Philly and Milwaukee...

"Through the legs to the left, through the legs to the right, we don't run them Laker plays, we just Kobe fadeaway..."
JohnDoe
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2018 1:23 am    Post subject:

Chronicle wrote:
JohnDoe wrote:
CandyCanes wrote:
Who plays center for us besides McGee?...

Are you aware of just how well our guards rebound the ball? Did I mention it is not the center's sole responsibility to rebound the ball?

Our guards get rebounds because they are tall guards that can win the rebound battle against other guards and some small forwards.

They aren't going to win against 7 foot centers.

You're missing the point. Anywho, go Lakers!
JohnDoe
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2018 1:31 am    Post subject:

JohnDoe wrote:
Chronicle wrote:
JohnDoe wrote:
CandyCanes wrote:
Who plays center for us besides McGee?...

Are you aware of just how well our guards rebound the ball? Did I mention it is not the center's sole responsibility to rebound the ball?

Our guards get rebounds because they are tall guards that can win the rebound battle against other guards and some small forwards.

They aren't going to win against 7 foot centers.

You're missing the point. Anywho, go Lakers!

So, you're also trying to tell me that a guard has never rebounded a ball versus someone 7 feet tall? Not ever? Interesting information big fella.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2018 6:16 am    Post subject:

70sdude wrote:

I'd like to see that come to pass myself, but I figure that the end game scenario will very often be this: Rondo, LeBron, Lonzo, Kuzma and Hart - when they are healthy enough to play.

We can’t have Rondo or Ball finishing games, both are FT liabilities.
waterman40
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2018 6:25 am    Post subject:

70sdude wrote:

End game scenarios, where the game is in the balance, are largely going to be starters or the best situational players. Guys like Rondo and Ball may not be on the floor for offensive possessions, if we are concerned about free throw shooting.

As for starting, I expect there to be at least some level of flux between Ball/Rondo starting and McGee/Zu starting. Beasley may well be an end game player for offense/free throws over the other centers too.

But my original bench mob lineup I think gets played at the start of 2nd and 4th quarters as a unit, and I think they will be highly successful, especially against other teams second units.
2017 Summer League Champs
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2018 10:48 am    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
70sdude wrote:

What a ridiculous and trollish thing to say. Did they finish games last year? Is every game close and comes down to free throws?
2017 Summer League Champs
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2018 10:49 am    Post subject:

People keep saying KCP is starting. Has that been confirmed or just an assumption?
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2018 10:58 am    Post subject:

2017 Summer League Champs wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
70sdude wrote:

What a ridiculous and trollish thing to say. Did they finish games last year? Is every game close and comes down to free throws?

No, we often sat Ball on offense at the end of games. Sitting a young player is better than subjecting him to a hacking strategy.
Kava
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2018 11:00 am    Post subject:

People keep saying KCP is starting. Has that been confirmed or just an assumption?

Most of LG is making an ass out of "u" & "me"

Take this one for instance - I wouldn't be surprised if KCP starts and Hart finishes & if they split SG minutes pretty evenly.

We had a big who was a juggernaut at switching onto smaller guards to contain in Randle. Not sure I would expect Kuz/Lebron to have the same effect on switches as JR but we'll see. Defense is going to dictate how far we'll go.

If our perimeter players aren't going to dig in and play good defense then having playmakers surrounding the best playmaker won't matter.

GSW gets away with not playing a big cause KD helps from the weakside and gets a ton of blks per game for a SF. Who's our help/weak side shot blocker when JM goes to the bench?
splashmtn
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2018 12:31 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
70sdude wrote:

No, we often sat Ball on offense at the end of games. Sitting a young player is better than subjecting him to a hacking strategy.
no its not. Get hacked. blow the freethrows. get hacked again, miss some more. get booed by the crowd. become even more nervous. brick another ft get booed again, get fouled again, lose the game. eventually you will have to come to some kind of conclusion, either you are going to get out of your own head and knock these babies down or it's time for you to move onto another team or out of the nba. your choice. are you more sick of losing due to your inability to hit FREE shots or are you more anxious about being at the line?
lakersboy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2018 2:04 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
70sdude wrote:

All players have liabilities of some sort. If you remove Rondo and Ball at the end of games, you create decision making, offensive flow, and/or ball handling liabilities at a time when you can afford it the least.
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2018 2:19 pm    Post subject:

lakersboy wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
70sdude wrote:

All players have liabilities of some sort. If you remove Rondo and Ball at the end of games, you create decision making, offensive flow, and/or ball handling liabilities at a time when you can afford it the least.

This is probably where coaching comes in; I am excited to see how Luke handles these in-game/personnel decisions. I believe CLW will be up to the task in handling most real game-time situations.
Either way, IMO, we have a nice blend of talent that should be able to compete with anyone on a high level.
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2018 3:22 pm    Post subject:

splashmtn wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
70sdude wrote:

no its not. Get hacked. blow the freethrows. get hacked again, miss some more. get booed by the crowd. become even more nervous. brick another ft get booed again, get fouled again, lose the game. eventually you will have to come to some kind of conclusion, either you are going to get out of your own head and knock these babies down or it's time for you to move onto another team or out of the nba. your choice. are you more sick of losing due to your inability to hit FREE shots or are you more anxious about being at the line?

That strategy would be fine on a rebuilding team. Not on a team constrcuted to win games. You don’t acquire Lebron and then employ a tactic like that.

He needs to be ready to hit those already. If not, he sits.
yammy1688
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2018 3:57 pm    Post subject:

diando wrote:
yammy1688 wrote:

That's a true statement I believe. That to me is a recipe to disrupt more 3's than any other team.

Looking at these rosters, and factoring in must-have players such as Steph and Fultz (shorties), I'm gonna stand by my statement.

I expect Ball to make a jump defensively this year and especially with this squad. I know I'm getting my hopes way too high, but I just think there are really legit freakish talents (BI, Zo, Bron) on this squad to match up with GSW crazy shooting. The IQ is really off the charts.

Jerryd Bayless 6-3
Wilson Chandler 6-9
Robert Covingto 6-9
Joel Embiid 7-0
Markelle Fultz 6-4
Demetrius Jackso 6-1
Amir Johnson 6-9
Furkan Korkmaz 6-7
T.J. McConnell 6-2
Shake Milton 6-6
Mike Muscala 6-11
JJ Redick 6-4
Dario Saric 6-10
Landry Shamet 6-5
Ben Simmons 6-10
Zhaire Smith 6-4

Jordan Bell 6-9
Quinn Cook 6-2
DeMarcus Cousins 6-11
Stephen Curry 6-3
Kevin Durant 6-9
Jacob Evans 6-6
Draymond Green 6-7
Andre Iguodala 6-6
Jonas Jerebko 6-10
Damian Jones 7-0
Damion Lee 6-6
Shaun Livingsto 6-7
Kevon Looney 6-9
Patrick McCaw 6-7
Klay Thompson 6-7
David West 6-9
Nick Young 6-7

Lonzo Ball 6-6
Michael Beasley 6-9
Joel Berry II 6-0
Isaac Bonga 6-9
Kentavious Cald 6-5
Jeffrey Carroll 6-6
Alex Caruso 6-5
Luol Deng 6-9
Josh Hart 6-5
Andre Ingram 6-3
Brandon Ingram 6-9
LeBron James 6-8
Kyle Kuzma 6-9
JaVale McGee 7-0
Sviatoslav Mykha6-8
Gary Payton II 6-3
Rajon Rondo 6-1
Lance Stephenson6-6
Moritz Wagner 7-0
Travis Wear 6-10
Johnathan Willia6-9
Ivica Zubac 7-1
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2018 5:51 pm    Post subject:

lakersboy wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
70sdude wrote:

Not with Hart and Lebron. Lebron will likely be the one initiating in crunch time.
DShotMaker1824
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2018 6:38 pm    Post subject:

yammy1688 wrote:
diando wrote:
yammy1688 wrote:

Looking at these rosters, and factoring in must-have players such as Steph and Fultz (shorties), I'm gonna stand by my statement.

I expect Ball to make a jump defensively this year and especially with this squad. I know I'm getting my hopes way too high, but I just think there are really legit freakish talents (BI, Zo, Bron) on this squad to match up with GSW crazy shooting. The IQ is really off the charts.

Jerryd Bayless 6-3
Wilson Chandler 6-9
Robert Covingto 6-9
Joel Embiid 7-0
Markelle Fultz 6-4
Demetrius Jackso 6-1
Amir Johnson 6-9
Furkan Korkmaz 6-7
T.J. McConnell 6-2
Shake Milton 6-6
Mike Muscala 6-11
JJ Redick 6-4
Dario Saric 6-10
Landry Shamet 6-5
Ben Simmons 6-10
Zhaire Smith 6-4

Jordan Bell 6-9
Quinn Cook 6-2
DeMarcus Cousins 6-11
Stephen Curry 6-3
Kevin Durant 6-9
Jacob Evans 6-6
Draymond Green 6-7
Andre Iguodala 6-6
Jonas Jerebko 6-10
Damian Jones 7-0
Damion Lee 6-6
Shaun Livingsto 6-7
Kevon Looney 6-9
Patrick McCaw 6-7
Klay Thompson 6-7
David West 6-9
Nick Young 6-7

Lonzo Ball 6-6
Michael Beasley 6-9
Joel Berry II 6-0
Isaac Bonga 6-9
Kentavious Cald 6-5
Jeffrey Carroll 6-6
Alex Caruso 6-5
Luol Deng 6-9
Josh Hart 6-5
Andre Ingram 6-3
Brandon Ingram 6-9
LeBron James 6-8
Kyle Kuzma 6-9
JaVale McGee 7-0
Sviatoslav Mykha6-8
Gary Payton II 6-3
Rajon Rondo 6-1
Lance Stephenson6-6
Moritz Wagner 7-0
Travis Wear 6-10
Johnathan Willia6-9
Ivica Zubac 7-1

I think too many people overlook the fact that LeBron doesn't put in the effort on defense anymore, whether that changes remains to be seen. Also posting these(you forgot Milwaukee), I'd still disagree with you.
The backups for Curry are lengthman Shaun Livingston and Pat McCaw, both good defenders. Draymond is 6'7 but plays 6'11. KD is 7'. Steph is one of the league's best in pilfers, Klay is one of the league's best defenders, Iguodala still plays elite defense, Bell is a highlight machine, Looney and Jerebko can switch onto guards and then there's still Boogie Cousins to deal with (albeit impact remains to be seen)

"Through the legs to the left, through the legs to the right, we don't run them Laker plays, we just Kobe fadeaway..."
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2018 6:44 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
lakersboy wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
70sdude wrote:

Not with Hart and Lebron. Lebron will likely be the one initiating in crunch time.

Yeah, I wouldnt be at all surprised to see a Hart/KCP/Ingram/Kuz/Lebron type finishing lineup.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2018 7:44 am    Post subject:

I agree, hopefully we will finish with that lineup.
oldlakerfan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2018 8:04 am    Post subject:

We have a lot of positionless players and Ball, Stephenson, Hart and KCP all can play bigger then their 6'6, 6'5" heights. They can easily play the 1-3 and can trouble a 4 on a switch.

Lebron, Ingram, Kuz can all be good defensive players and switch 2-4 and play some 5 in switch.

McGee and Zu can play the 5 and protect the rim. McGee can switch out on a 4 or 3.

Rondo can guard the 1 pretty good.

All of our guards are really good rebounders.

I think if Luke goes with a deep rotation we can be a top flight defensive team. Lebron was always saving himself for offense but he can play good defense is we manage him well and he buys in.

Not sure how well Svi or Mo will do defense and Bagley has never shown much on that side of the ball.

Heck even Deng can play defense at the 3/4 if we are desperate.
Wino
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2018 12:40 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
70sdude wrote:

Trollish???? I call BS. He might have his moments, but this isn't one of them. He is absolutely correct. First off, they both play the same position and they both suck at shooting. I doubt they will play together all that often, I suspect almost never.

Also, in todays game, almost every game is close, especially when you have instant offense teams like GS who can throw up 20 points before you realize your shoe is untied.

Just because someone disagrees with you, does NOT make them a troll. In fact in this instance, your response is more trollish than VLF's is.
greenfrog
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2018 1:20 pm    Post subject:

Wino wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
70sdude wrote:

Trollish???? I call BS. He might have his moments, but this isn't one of them. He is absolutely correct. First off, they both play the same position and they both suck at shooting. I doubt they will play together all that often, I suspect almost never.

Also, in todays game, almost every game is close, especially when you have instant offense teams like GS who can throw up 20 points before you realize your shoe is untied.

Just because someone disagrees with you, does NOT make them a troll. In fact in this instance, your response is more trollish than VLF's is.

He never specified both together.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5
Jump to: