THE Political Thread (ALL Political Discussion Here - See Rules, P. 1)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 1025, 1026, 1027 ... 3661, 3662, 3663  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
LakesGnrLake
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2018 10:01 am    Post subject:

Fallout wrote:
oldlakerfan wrote:
Gatekeeper wrote:
Ode to Alex Jones and Infowars. RIP.

Alex Jones is a wacko but this is an assault on free speech. Do we want corporations making these decisions? Is political correctness which is is made up by a bunch of special interest elites governing our speech?

Wacko on the right and the left should be able to spout their drivel because it is in our constitution.

These tech companies are going to be dealt with because of this stuff. They will either be responsible for all content on their sites or be found in violation of FEC laws or both. They are inviting regulation

You realize when you sign up on this board there is a rule of conduct. Same with FaceBook, Apple,Google, etc. Alex Jones went way far and beyond that, its just amazing he got away with this as long as he did.

The only way Jones has a case is if they can show Youtube/Facebook and such have a monolopy of what someone can post on "social media" since he can just post somewhere else he doesn't really have a case. Either way this move just makes people more aware of censorship that is happening on the internet at this time.

And I saw people are surprised that Trump's approval is going up with Latinos.

https://www.denverpost.com/2018/07/10/yes-president-trumps-policies-are-good-for-latinos-too/

I think this thread completely ignores the percentage of Latin immigrants who came here legally and see themselves as immigrants "who did it the right way" because living in a family of Latin orgins I heard that from a lot of older family members and even when I hear other older people who's parents immigrated here legally.
Goldenwest
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2018 10:10 am    Post subject:

The Dow is in free fall right now, let’s see if trump and the fed can print more dineros and bring it back up by the end of the day....again
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2018 10:17 am    Post subject:

Quote:
Some of Omarosa's claims are entirely unverifiable. But having listened to several of the recordings she made, they match quotations in the book.

https://twitter.com/jdawsey1/status/1027976616050413569
Omar Little

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2018 10:19 am    Post subject:

LakesGnrLake wrote:
Fallout wrote:
oldlakerfan wrote:
Gatekeeper wrote:

Alex Jones is a wacko but this is an assault on free speech. Do we want corporations making these decisions? Is political correctness which is is made up by a bunch of special interest elites governing our speech?

Wacko on the right and the left should be able to spout their drivel because it is in our constitution.

These tech companies are going to be dealt with because of this stuff. They will either be responsible for all content on their sites or be found in violation of FEC laws or both. They are inviting regulation

You realize when you sign up on this board there is a rule of conduct. Same with FaceBook, Apple,Google, etc. Alex Jones went way far and beyond that, its just amazing he got away with this as long as he did.

The only way Jones has a case is if they can show Youtube/Facebook and such have a monolopy of what someone can post on "social media" since he can just post somewhere else he doesn't really have a case. Either way this move just makes people more aware of censorship that is happening on the internet at this time.

https://www.denverpost.com/2018/07/10/yes-president-trumps-policies-are-good-for-latinos-too/

I think this thread completely ignores the percentage of Latin immigrants who came here legally and see themselves as immigrants "who did it the right way" because living in a family of Latin orgins I heard that from a lot of older family members and even when I hear other older people who's parents immigrated here legally.

Mostly because a significant portion of Trump's base does not see a distinction between the two, as recently repeated by Laura Ingraham on Fox news, where she talks about the country changing from demographics Americans never voted for, from immigration, both illegal and legal. Illegal immigration has always been the coded way to talk about brown immigration in general. And most Latinos seem to know this.
splashmtn
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2018 10:35 am    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
oldlakerfan wrote:
Christian values are considered hate speech at times just because they do not meet political correctness standards.

No. Hate speech is hate speech is hate speech. It has nothing to do with "political correctness", nor does it have anything to do with "Christian values". There are no true "Christian Values" that are about hate. There are just Christians who have twisted the book they read into fuel for their own personal hate. That's a BIG difference.

Actually both of you are right.

hate speech is hate speech is hate speech. but not all speech you dont like or doesnt agree with what you like isnt hate speech either.

keeping with olf's point. BlueGroup Book says Human's should not play basketball it's harmful to their knees.

Some BlueGroup repeats verbatim what the BlueGroup book says to another person who asked about this text. this same person also plays basketball.

The basketball player then says " Hey ... that's hate speech. You hate what I do."

No. The BlueGroup Book which is something the BlueGroup person believes says that what you do is wrong for your knees. Now you dont have to agree with that. But that's all that was said. Is that hate speech? To some yes, to others No.

It is a slippery slope of calling anything that doesnt agree with you could be considered hate speech aka "Their just haters. always hating on me." I hear people use that phrase all the time and it's usually people who are doing something that is harmful to them or others in some capacity but at the moment they dont want to stop doing it. So anyone not co-signing their behavior or life choices is a hater, therefore anything they say against what said person is doing is considered HATE SPEECH to said person.

Now you do have the scenario where the same BlueGroup person is caught playing basketball behind closed doors. is what they said(which was quoted from the BlueGroup book) hate speech now? Nope. This individual is just now a hypocrite. The actual words in the book didnt change. and maybe the driving force for the BlueGroup person speaking those words to another basketball player was really to try and get the light off of him wanting to really play basketball too. who knows.

THen you have actual hate speech. Supposed BlueGroup says basketball players are not smart.

Basketball players shouldnt be allowed to earn as similar wages as us BlueGroups do.

Basketball players should be physically harmed or verbally abused for being basketball players.

Basketball players shouldn't be allowed to live in these neighborhoods.

^thats hate speech.

Last edited by splashmtn on Fri Aug 10, 2018 10:42 am; edited 1 time in total
Heartburn
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2018 10:39 am    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
LakesGnrLake wrote:
Fallout wrote:
oldlakerfan wrote:
Gatekeeper wrote:

Mostly because a significant portion of Trump's base does not see a distinction between the two, as recently repeated by Laura Ingraham on Fox news, where she talks about the country changing from demographics Americans never voted for, from immigration, both illegal and legal. Illegal immigration has always been the coded way to talk about brown immigration in general. And most Latinos seem to know this.

That is completely lost on them. The people LakesGnrLake is describing view themselves as different. They're the good ones and think other immigrants are ruining everything.

BTW, I come from a latino family but we've been in the Southwest since it was still Mexico. My wife's family are more recent immigrants and they say a lot of things LakesGnrLake referenced.

Bottom line: everyone needs someone else to crap on, even if they're your neighbor.
ContagiousInspiration
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2018 10:44 am    Post subject:

Goldenwest wrote:
The Dow is in free fall right now, let’s see if trump and the fed can print more dineros and bring it back up by the end of the day....again

Roaring economy.. Downhill

Trump hasn't said a word about Saudi Arabia threatening Canada with 9/11 type terrorist threats.. all because a Western country stood up for a woman

isolating America and Americans...
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2018 12:27 pm    Post subject:

Dominator wrote:
adkindo wrote:
jodeke wrote:
Stormy Daniels attorney Michael Avenatti: 'I'm exploring a run for the presidency of the United States'

LINK

please let this happen...

Avenatti can be Dwayne Johnson's VP. Trump is going to smell what The Rock is cooking in 2020.

Is this what our presidential candidates have come to? Putin wins!!!

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
splashmtn
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2018 3:15 pm    Post subject:

And here is the real problem with the establishment media being bought and paid for by corporations who already have their candidates chosen to do their bidding. Is it fake news like the nuts on the right try to say it is? No. But it is biased. Not biased when its pointing out the obvious flaws in the right wing rhetoric or policies. but biased vs further left policy ideas and candidates. Why would that be the case? the first sentence is why. Follow the money. And its a darn shame because if this is how its going to go down who the hell can we trust to give us unbiased reporting? Who's left?

the moment i saw the headline I immediately rolled my eyes because I already knew at best the title was click bait and maybe the article wasnt a complete hit job. or at worse it was a complete hit job from the establishment blue. I dont always agree with TYT but he's spot on in this scenario.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=8&v=-_DUzC-pWgU
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2018 5:11 pm    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:

Don't know what party he's gonna run under. But Avenatti has no chance in the Democratic Party.
I hope he trolls Donald the whole campaign season.
The Lebrons
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2018 5:58 pm    Post subject:

kikanga wrote:
jodeke wrote:

Don't know what party he's gonna run under. But Avenatti has no chance in the Democratic Party.

I disagree. He's going to be a factor, like it or not (I don't like it).
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2018 6:57 pm    Post subject:

The Lebrons wrote:
kikanga wrote:
jodeke wrote:

I don't either. That would play into Trumps hand.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
lakerjoshua
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2018 7:50 pm    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
LakesGnrLake wrote:
Fallout wrote:
oldlakerfan wrote:
Gatekeeper wrote:

It’s also true that most “Illegals” did not sneak across the border. The bigger problem with immigration is those who come here with a legal travel visa and don’t leave. Those “illegals” far outnumber the fine folks from down south who migrate here seasonally to work our farms.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2018 7:59 pm    Post subject:

lakerjoshua wrote:
It’s also true that most “Illegals” did not sneak across the border. The bigger problem with immigration is those who come here with a legal travel visa and don’t leave. Those “illegals” far outnumber the fine folks from down south who migrate here seasonally to work our farms.

most estimates I have seen the % of illegal immigrants that are related to visa overstays has hovered around 40% since 1980...going up and down a few %. Some years the increase in illegal immigrants from visa overstays has exceeded 50%, but I am not aware of any credible estimate that has claimed that group has ever comprised the majority of current illegal immigrants in the US.
Dr. Laker
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2018 9:02 pm    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
lakerjoshua wrote:

most estimates I have seen the % of illegal immigrants that are related to visa overstays has hovered around 40% since 1980...going up and down a few %. Some years the increase in illegal immigrants from visa overstays has exceeded 50%, but I am not aware of any credible estimate that has claimed that group has ever comprised the majority of current illegal immigrants in the US.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/latino/visa-overstays-outnumber-illegal-border-crossings-trend-expected-continue-n730216

"The majority of immigrants settling in the U.S. without authorization are first coming to the country legally, raising questions about the effectiveness of President Donald Trump's plan to build a wall on the U.S.-Mexican border.

Crossing the border is not the way "the large majority of persons now become undocumented," the Center for Migration Studies (CMS) said in a recent report. Two-thirds of those who joined the undocumented population did so by entering with a valid visa and then overstaying their period of admission, the center repored.

Overstays have exceeded those entering illegally every year since 2007
, and there have been half a million more overstays than illegal entries since 2007."
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2018 9:17 pm    Post subject:

Dr. Laker wrote:
adkindo wrote:
lakerjoshua wrote:

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/latino/visa-overstays-outnumber-illegal-border-crossings-trend-expected-continue-n730216

"The majority of immigrants settling in the U.S. without authorization are first coming to the country legally, raising questions about the effectiveness of President Donald Trump's plan to build a wall on the U.S.-Mexican border.

Crossing the border is not the way "the large majority of persons now become undocumented," the Center for Migration Studies (CMS) said in a recent report. Two-thirds of those who joined the undocumented population did so by entering with a valid visa and then overstaying their period of admission, the center repored.

Overstays have exceeded those entering illegally every year since 2007
, and there have been half a million more overstays than illegal entries since 2007."

none of this contradicts anything I said....CMS estimates that the total % for illegal immigrants in the US from visa overstays is near the 40% number I stated.

Quote:
With the use of DHS and other demographic data, Robert Warren and Donald Kerwin of the pro-migrant Center for Migration (CMS) estimate that around 4.5 million – or 42 percent – of the roughly 11 million illegal immigrants in the U.S. in 2014 were overstays.

Warren estimates that the overstay population has been in the ballpark of Durbin’s 40-percent-figure since the 1980s. “The percentage has been at that level for about 40 years,” he told The Daily Caller News Foundation. “Anyone who says it’s between 40 and 45 percent has been correct for about 40 years.”

LINK
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2018 9:51 pm    Post subject:

Just spent went to long on https://climate.nasa.gov .

We may have passed the point of no return in terms of climate change. Kinda scary.
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2018 9:53 pm    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
The Lebrons wrote:
kikanga wrote:
jodeke wrote:

We aren't the Republican base. We don't want unqualified people as President. Even if they can (bleep) talk like a WWE wrestler before a fight.
I do think he would rattle Trump easily on a debate stage though.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2018 1:29 am    Post subject:

kikanga wrote:
jodeke wrote:
The Lebrons wrote:
kikanga wrote:
jodeke wrote:

We aren't the Republican base. We don't want unqualified people as President. Even if they can (bleep) talk like a WWE wrestler before a fight.

I wouldn't want him on the ticket but he would be a great distraction. He may throw Trump off his game. If he's fighting Avenatti he'll have less time to attack real candidates.

governator
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2018 5:17 am    Post subject:

kikanga wrote:
jodeke wrote:
The Lebrons wrote:
kikanga wrote:
jodeke wrote:

U sure you don't want President Dwayne Johnson and Vice John Cena?
Surfitall
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2018 6:05 am    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
Alex Jones is already being set up on a conservative channel formed for people kicked off YouTube. So how is he being silenced?

Exactly. Howard Stern talked about this topic for awhile this week. I’m paraphrasing, but he basically said there is no free speech when your speech puts a company financially at risk. You have to know what the rules of the game are at the company through which you are speaking. You are still free to go to the public square and say whatever you want, but when a company is financially liable for what you say there are rules.

He also said, if there is an audience for Alex Jones then someone will create a different social media channel who is willing to accept the financial liability if they get sued and they can simply lawyer up. And that’s just what happened.

He also said Alex Jones show has always been an act, to kind of be the Weekly World News of radio, but that he has to keep upping the ante on the outrageousness of his stories in order to keep people tuning in. Unfortunately, there are enough crazy and or low IQ people out there who believe his schtick and are actually acting out in dangerous or cruel ways because of it.

This is related to another topic, which is players kneeling during the national anthem. If it starts hurting the team or the league financially, they are allowed to put a stop to it. This is not a free speech issue. I have no issue with this form of protest, but the NFL audience is heavily right wing and they tend to believe it is immoral to disrespect authority, and unpatriotic to kneel during the anthem. Not only will this form of protest not change the opinions of conservatives, but it may offend them to the point where they stop tuning in to the games, which then hurts the teams and the league.

If you are trying to change someone’s opinion through argument or protest, it’s important to understand how your opponents view morality and frame your argument in a way they can accept. For example, liberals tend to care about equality, fairness, protecting people from harm, while conservatives care a lot about loyalty, respect for authority, patriotism, purity, etc. The divided political topography of this country also rests on top of a moral topography and part of why it’s so hard to convince others of why you are right about a particular issue is because often the way we try to convince them conflicts with their values right from the beginning.

There is an interesting study on this topic, but I can only link to the summary: http://journals.sagepub.com/doi/10.1177/0146167215607842
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2018 6:12 am    Post subject:

governator wrote:
kikanga wrote:
jodeke wrote:
The Lebrons wrote:
kikanga wrote:
jodeke wrote:

U sure you don't want President Dwayne Johnson and Vice John Cena?

Hmm... will Mr. Socko sign on for a cabinet position? If so, maybe.
governator
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2018 6:55 am    Post subject:

Heartburn wrote:
governator wrote:
governator wrote:
Where is the proof of Trump gaining new support in Blacks and Latinos? (cause it sounds insane)

Oldlakersfan, where you get this from?

FoxNews, Breitbart, Drudge Report, Trump's speeches/tweets. Take your pick among the wackos.

This might explain a bit, Oldlakersfan, care to provide a link to your statistic?

https://www.sfgate.com/politics/article/Donald-Trump-Jr-Instagram-fake-approval-rating-13147751.php

Donald Trump Jr. deleted a doctored image of his father's approval from his Instagram page on Friday.

The image, which was altered to show President Trump's approval rating at 50 percent, was posted on Wednesday night and Instagram users immediately decried it as a fake.

A number of users left comments reading "fake," or "photoshopped," but Trump Jr. didn't delete the photo until Friday.

The original image was from a CNN segment on Monday, and showed President Trump's approval rating at 40 percent, compared to former President Obama's 45 percent approval rating at this point in his presidency.
oldlakerfan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2018 8:10 am    Post subject:

ContagiousInspiration wrote:
Goldenwest wrote:

Roaring economy.. Downhill

Trump hasn't said a word about Saudi Arabia threatening Canada with 9/11 type terrorist threats.. all because a Western country stood up for a woman

isolating America and Americans...

The stock market isn't the determining factor on how the economy is doing. Right now the Stock market is under pressure due to Trump putting the screws to Turkey for imprisoning that Pastor and the currency is tanking. Also the uncertainty around the trade deals which is causing China's economy to falter has the DOW nervous.

GDP and Corporate earnings a up significantly which is making the market look a little cheaper. Still I would not call it cheap just yet.
oldlakerfan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2018 8:14 am    Post subject:

governator wrote:
Heartburn wrote:
governator wrote:
governator wrote:
Where is the proof of Trump gaining new support in Blacks and Latinos? (cause it sounds insane)

Oldlakersfan, where you get this from?

FoxNews, Breitbart, Drudge Report, Trump's speeches/tweets. Take your pick among the wackos.

This might explain a bit, Oldlakersfan, care to provide a link to your statistic?

https://www.sfgate.com/politics/article/Donald-Trump-Jr-Instagram-fake-approval-rating-13147751.php

Donald Trump Jr. deleted a doctored image of his father's approval from his Instagram page on Friday.

The image, which was altered to show President Trump's approval rating at 50 percent, was posted on Wednesday night and Instagram users immediately decried it as a fake.

A number of users left comments reading "fake," or "photoshopped," but Trump Jr. didn't delete the photo until Friday.

The original image was from a CNN segment on Monday, and showed President Trump's approval rating at 40 percent, compared to former President Obama's 45 percent approval rating at this point in his presidency.

RASMUSSEN POLL: Trump Approval Ratings Among Black Voters 29%! This Time Last Year: 15%

https://twitter.com/Rasmussen_Poll/status/1025071229835927554

This is where it was reported.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 1025, 1026, 1027 ... 3661, 3662, 3663  Next
Page 1026 of 3663
Jump to: