Will Lebron Get a Statue if he gets a ring in LA?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Statue for Lebron?
Yes
46%
 46%  [ 55 ]
No
53%
 53%  [ 63 ]
Total Votes : 118

MickMgl
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2018 10:31 pm    Post subject:

kball wrote:
MickMgl wrote:
kobeandgary wrote:
MickMgl wrote:
The question is going to be Jersey vs No Jersey. Statue is pretty much off the table.

I don't even think a four year stint at the end of his career should earn a jersey retirement. I mean are we kinda saying all you have to do to get your jersey retired is come here and average 26 points for four years?

I certainly agree that the jersey retirement is not automatic, and I regard even the suggestion of a Lebron statue at Staples as absurd.

A Stu Lantz statue would be absurd.
A statue for a mount rushmore all time player depending on what happens during his tenure is completely within reason

For the Heat or Clippers... or the NHL Kings... it's within reason.

For the Lakers, it's absolutely absurd. They're not wasting space on a statue for a guy having a cup of coffee with the Lakers on his way to the NBA hereafter.

In fact, that would be the very kind of bs that would invite vandalism to said statue. If the Lakers want to sell their legacy cheap to build a statue for Lebron, they'd better put it behind glass or otherwise out of reach of thrown shoes and paint.
kball
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2018 3:25 am    Post subject:

MickMgl wrote:
kball wrote:
MickMgl wrote:
kobeandgary wrote:
MickMgl wrote:
The question is going to be Jersey vs No Jersey. Statue is pretty much off the table.

I don't even think a four year stint at the end of his career should earn a jersey retirement. I mean are we kinda saying all you have to do to get your jersey retired is come here and average 26 points for four years?

I certainly agree that the jersey retirement is not automatic, and I regard even the suggestion of a Lebron statue at Staples as absurd.

A statue for a mount rushmore all time player depending on what happens during his tenure is completely within reason

For the Lakers, it's absolutely absurd. They're not wasting space on a statue for a guy having a cup of coffee with the Lakers on his way to the NBA hereafter.

In fact, that would be the very kind of bs that would invite vandalism to said statue. If the Lakers want to sell their legacy cheap to build a statue for Lebron, they'd better put it behind glass or otherwise out of reach of thrown shoes and paint.

Unless they rely on the heavy video surveillance at Staples and from across the street at LA LIVE
kobeandgary
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2018 3:33 am    Post subject:

kball wrote:
MickMgl wrote:
kball wrote:
MickMgl wrote:
kobeandgary wrote:
MickMgl wrote:

Unless they rely on the heavy video surveillance at Staples and from across the street at LA LIVE

Because masks aren't a thing?
kobeandgary
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2018 3:37 am    Post subject:

MickMgl wrote:
kball wrote:
MickMgl wrote:
kobeandgary wrote:
MickMgl wrote:

Yeah, the argument has nothing to do with if Lebron is great enough to deserve a statue as a player. The thing is can you give a guy that came here at the tail end of his career for possibly four years or less the same treatment as a guy that poured in 20 years and brought you 5 rings? Lebron just won't be here long enough, and I don't care if he wins a ring for each of his four years here. He just simply won't have spent enough time here. Lebron simply won't be remembered as a Laker when people bring him up in ten years, so to honor him as a Laker great, is absurd in my opinion.
PauPau
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2018 3:44 am    Post subject:

LakersRGolden wrote:
Depends on how "spectacular" that one ring run was, and if he's just around for the 3 year minimum.

Crazy good playoff run? likely. Finishes up a Laker after a renewal? Maybe.

^^^
kball
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2018 5:20 am    Post subject:

kobeandgary wrote:
MickMgl wrote:
kball wrote:
MickMgl wrote:
kobeandgary wrote:
MickMgl wrote:

Yeah, the argument has nothing to do with if Lebron is great enough to deserve a statue as a player. The thing is can you give a guy that came here at the tail end of his career for possibly four years or less the same treatment as a guy that poured in 20 years and brought you 5 rings? Lebron just won't be here long enough, and I don't care if he wins a ring for each of his four years here. He just simply won't have spent enough time here. Lebron simply won't be remembered as a Laker when people bring him up in ten years, so to honor him as a Laker great, is absurd in my opinion.

Well, nobody will mean to the Lakers what Kobe has meant for such a long time.

Though i think a case can and should be made for Dr. Buss getting a statue even before Kobe does a few years down the line.

But Shaq got one with 8 years of service and 3 rings. That seemed a no brainer. Right?

What about Pau for 7 years and 2 rings?
His jersey will go up no question.
Statue maybe.

With Bron he's literally putting franchise back on map after years of irrelevance.
And i think some of the statue decision (which i'm not sure how its decided, by who, and how many...is it Jeannie's alone now or is it a small committee of family and stakeholders?) may rest on accomplishments as a laker but also how that affects the value of the franchise going forward and the people it attracts (fans, players, sponsors, partnerships)

Who among us doesn't think this franchise instantly increased its value that 2nd day of FA?
Its all baked in i would think on any decision 10 years or so down the line when its statue time.

Again, i'm not positive he'll get one with 1 ring or no ring.
But it's conceivable given everything else.
2 rings or more is an absolute lock.
(Just one long time fans opinion)
Judah
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2018 6:25 am    Post subject:

kobeandgary wrote:
MickMgl wrote:
kball wrote:
MickMgl wrote:
kobeandgary wrote:
MickMgl wrote:

Your reasoning on all things LeBron is the pinnacle of absurdity. Four rings in four years would be a first for any Laker, but it still doesn't deserve a statue because he wouldn't have been a Laker long enough
Mamba Mentality
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2018 6:34 am    Post subject:

Judah wrote:
kobeandgary wrote:
MickMgl wrote:
kball wrote:
MickMgl wrote:
kobeandgary wrote:
MickMgl wrote:

Your reasoning on all things LeBron is the pinnacle of absurdity. Four rings in four years would be a first for any Laker, but it still doesn't deserve a statue because he wouldn't have been a Laker long enough

I agree. If he wins 3-4 rings in this 4 year span, that should be enough to get a statue, considering the 5 year playoff drought he would've brought us out of. I don't agree that the number of years are a factor in this. It's all about the results, 4 years or 20 years.

On a side note, LeBron could also pass a lot of milestones in a Laker uniform.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2018 6:08 am    Post subject:

kball wrote:
kobeandgary wrote:
MickMgl wrote:
kball wrote:
MickMgl wrote:
kobeandgary wrote:
MickMgl wrote:

Well, nobody will mean to the Lakers what Kobe has meant for such a long time.

Though i think a case can and should be made for Dr. Buss getting a statue even before Kobe does a few years down the line.

But Shaq got one with 8 years of service and 3 rings. That seemed a no brainer. Right?

What about Pau for 7 years and 2 rings?
His jersey will go up no question.
Statue maybe.

With Bron he's literally putting franchise back on map after years of irrelevance.
And i think some of the statue decision (which i'm not sure how its decided, by who, and how many...is it Jeannie's alone now or is it a small committee of family and stakeholders?) may rest on accomplishments as a laker but also how that affects the value of the franchise going forward and the people it attracts (fans, players, sponsors, partnerships)

Who among us doesn't think this franchise instantly increased its value that 2nd day of FA?
Its all baked in i would think on any decision 10 years or so down the line when its statue time.

Again, i'm not positive he'll get one with 1 ring or no ring.
But it's conceivable given everything else.
2 rings or more is an absolute lock.
(Just one long time fans opinion)

FYI, Staples is owned by the Anshutz Group, not the Lakers and not the Buss family. They are the last word on any statue on their property.
waterman40
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2018 6:41 am    Post subject:

Yeah, I think the jersey being hung-up is more likely. 1-2 rings, league MVP once, I think that gets his name in the rafters.

Statues, meh, the more you have, I think the more it dilutes the honor.
kball
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2018 8:01 am    Post subject:

waterman40 wrote:
Yeah, I think the jersey being hung-up is more likely. 1-2 rings, league MVP once, I think that gets his name in the rafters.

Of course, they do call it STAR PLAZA.

Someone remind me...
How many Stanley Cups did Gretzky win as an LA King.
Bol
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2018 8:47 am    Post subject:

If he leads the team to 2 titles and puts them past the Celtics, I think a statue is almost certain. I also think Wilt should get a statue. Why wouldn't we want to celebrate the fact that so many of the absolute greatest players of all time have played for the Lakers?
MickMgl
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2018 9:15 am    Post subject:

[delete]

Last edited by MickMgl on Sat Aug 11, 2018 2:20 pm; edited 1 time in total
MickMgl
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2018 9:19 am    Post subject:

kball wrote:
waterman40 wrote:

Someone remind me...

And he was and is the UNDISPUTED greatest. And he led them to what was at the time their only Stanley Cup Final.

So there's a couple variables that make that distinct from Lebron and the Lakers.
kball
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2018 2:15 pm    Post subject:

MickMgl wrote:
kball wrote:
waterman40 wrote:

Someone remind me...

And he was and is the UNDISPUTED greatest. And he led them to what was at the time their only Stanley Cup Final.

So there's a couple variables that make that distinct from Lebron and the Lakers.

But still...you get the idea
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2018 3:32 pm    Post subject:

I don’t think Lebron will get a jersey or statue. Unless he does something truly remarkable in his 4-year stint here.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2018 5:58 pm    Post subject:

MickMgl wrote:
kball wrote:
waterman40 wrote:

Someone remind me...

That is why I think Robitaille deserves one before any Laker player. I’m not even a Kings fan.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Page 6 of 6
Jump to: