OFFICIAL LONZO BALL THREAD
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 1142, 1143, 1144 ... 1686, 1687, 1688  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
audioaxes
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2018 12:12 pm    Post subject:

Judah wrote:
audioaxes wrote:
have him watch nonstop game footage of Steve Nash on offense... All the tricks he did to collapse a defense, get into the paint and find dump offs for easy finishes or kick outs to open shooters... all the while never being a threat to finish at the hole.

Huh? You have it backwards. Nash was unquestionably a threat around the rim. He was as crafty as they come. That was a key component to his game and was exactly why he was able to collapse defenses, probe, and dish to teammates when he was in the paint. However, he was also one of the greatest free throw shooters of all time, so he wasn't afraid of getting fouled. That's part of Lonzo’s dilemma. He goes to the rim looking to pass because he doesn't want to get fouled. His lack of confidence in his free throw shooting holds him back from going up strong around the rim. People talk about how bad he is at finishing, but one of the biggest reasons is because he just sort of flings up wild shots to avoid contact and getting fouled.

when I mean he wasnt a threat I mean he was by no means one of the best guards at slashing to the rim, absorbing contact and finishing in traffic. He did alot of floaters, and baby jumpers and fadeaways in the paint much more than taking defenders on right at the rim. This is evident in his FT attempts... while deadly he didnt get to the line that much. Those are things Lonzo can try to master.
anth2000
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2018 12:22 pm    Post subject:

Even in a knee brace, I am hoping he learns how to shoot the ball.
Shoot 1000 free throws a day....hell, 2000 would be better.

Learn how to shoot the ball...shoot all day long. Especially free throws.
40% from the line, one of the worst in the NBA, for a point guard is scary.
splashmtn
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2018 12:54 pm    Post subject: Re: What work can Lonzo do at this point?

Jenn wrote:
I don't know anything about this surgery. Can he at this point work on free throws? Can he do upper body weight work (bench work, machines, etc)?
he could always work on form and shooting without harming that knee. he could've sat in a chair at the ft line and stroked some ft's in during the early part of the heeling process. but that surgery doesnt take that long to heal to the point where you can shoot ft's. thats not a lot of pressure on your knees anyway. now jump shots are a different thing.
LakerLand247
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2018 1:48 pm    Post subject:

Tweak his shooting form
Lakers_Jester
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2018 1:57 pm    Post subject:

Disappointed he cant be already getting reps with lbj like kuz and Ingram.
Jenn
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2018 9:54 pm    Post subject:

Thanks, everyone. Well, most of you anyway!

I'm sure that he's doing what he can do.
ElginBaylor
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2018 4:27 am    Post subject:

He could stop making more and more pointless threads about himself on LG.
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2018 5:29 am    Post subject:

Rap album?
Lucky_Shot
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2018 10:44 am    Post subject:

kball wrote:
Judah wrote:
audioaxes wrote:
have him watch nonstop game footage of Steve Nash on offense... All the tricks he did to collapse a defense, get into the paint and find dump offs for easy finishes or kick outs to open shooters... all the while never being a threat to finish at the hole.

Huh? You have it backwards. Nash was unquestionably a threat around the rim. He was as crafty as they come. That was a key component to his game and was exactly why he was able to collapse defenses, probe, and dish to teammates when he was in the paint. However, he was also one of the greatest free throw shooters of all time, so he wasn't afraid of getting fouled. That's part of Lonzo’s dilemma. He goes to the rim looking to pass because he doesn't want to get fouled. His lack of confidence in his free throw shooting holds him back from going up strong around the rim. People talk about how bad he is at finishing, but one of the biggest reasons is because he just sort of flings up wild shots to avoid contact and getting fouled.

This is my observation exactly.
And one that will certainly improve as his career unfolds.
Improved Free Throw shooting from Ball this season could EASILY increase his points 3-5 a game even without an increase in shots. Or a marked improvement in 3 pt%

I just don't know if i see Lonzo as the first or 2nd ball handler on this team w LBJ and Rondo

The main reason he cant finish at the rim is because he cant pullup and hit a jumper mostly cause of his shot style. Since every defender knows he only goes all the way to the rim or passes they funnel him to the teeth of the defense and he misses.

Even if he improved his free throws it would only help him a little. He needs a pull up J or at the very least a floater
SD2Hollyweird
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2018 11:38 am    Post subject:

Muzzle Lavar.
mookielala
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2018 12:27 pm    Post subject:

A new and improved FT would be glorious
kball
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2018 12:59 pm    Post subject:

Lucky_Shot wrote:
kball wrote:
Judah wrote:
audioaxes wrote:

This is my observation exactly.
And one that will certainly improve as his career unfolds.
Improved Free Throw shooting from Ball this season could EASILY increase his points 3-5 a game even without an increase in shots. Or a marked improvement in 3 pt%

I just don't know if i see Lonzo as the first or 2nd ball handler on this team w LBJ and Rondo

The main reason he cant finish at the rim is because he cant pullup and hit a jumper mostly cause of his shot style. Since every defender knows he only goes all the way to the rim or passes they funnel him to the teeth of the defense and he misses.

Even if he improved his free throws it would only help him a little. He needs a pull up J or at the very least a floater

Those would absolutely help.

But i'd counter with he's already better with both hands around the rim than 80-90% of the league.

Already. First year.

More confidence in his FT% by upping it makes it more likely he releases at the right time rather than the 'hurry up' around the basket form he defaults to.

I'd think by year 3 or 4 he may be among league leaders in AND 1's.

Assuming he lifts FT% above 77%
ChickenBeckerman
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2018 1:15 pm    Post subject:

Cruise around LA top down in his brand new Bugatti. Make celebrity appearances nightly with a new sidepiece each time laced up in diamonds. Champagne at the club for everyone.
Texas_Pete
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2018 2:29 pm    Post subject:

deal wrote:
babysitting seems to come to mind...

lakersboy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2018 6:08 pm    Post subject:

If I was him I'd be practicing the release of high arcing layups, left and right handed.
I'd practice the release motion of a floater.
I'd practice a conventional release of a free throw from close, and then move back.
I'd practice spinning (both directions) layups like Kyrie apparently does.

All of this would be stationary.
PICKnPOP
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2018 6:16 pm    Post subject:

Watch tape on teammates and learn thier tendencies and where they like to score the ball.
unleasHell
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2018 9:40 pm    Post subject:

MENTALLY, he can work on:

NOT shooting any three pointers and when the other team leaves him completely alone at the three point line - DRIVE and kick DON'T SHOOT IT...!

Ok, he can shoot 1 per game, if he makes that one he can shoot a second three pointer, but after he misses just one - he is done , for the game..
LakerReign
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2018 9:50 pm    Post subject:

Play 70 healthy games.
giordan0
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2018 1:43 am    Post subject:

This summer was wasted.

He just spent doing things outside of basketball.
Practice
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2018 4:05 am    Post subject:

unleasHell wrote:

NOT shooting any three pointers and when the other team leaves him completely alone at the three point line - DRIVE and kick DON'T SHOOT IT...!

Ok, he can shoot 1 per game, if he makes that one he can shoot a second three pointer, but after he misses just one - he is done , for the game..

It makes no sense to tell him not to shoot wide open 3 pointers or set an arbitrary number of attempts.
KeepItRealOrElse
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2018 6:17 am    Post subject:

lakersboy wrote:
If I was him I'd be practicing the release of high arcing layups, left and right handed.
I'd practice the release motion of a floater.
I'd practice a conventional release of a free throw from close, and then move back.
I'd practice spinning (both directions) layups like Kyrie apparently does.

All of this would be stationary.

Depends on where he is in his recovery. If he can barely put much weight on his leg , he can’t even shoot FTs properly, a FT has to be in great sync from the heels->legs->on up

I’m pretty disappointed it was a complete wasted summer skill wise.. hopefully he’s been watching film like crazy, there’s still a lot of IQ/situational stuff young PGs can improve exponentially on.
unleasHell
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2018 10:30 am    Post subject:

Practice wrote:
unleasHell wrote:

It makes no sense to tell him not to shoot wide open 3 pointers or set an arbitrary number of attempts.

What makes no sense, is a NBA player making just under $7.5 million that MISSES 69.5% of his three point shots, if you failed 69% of the time at your job, I'm pretty sure you'd be fired...!
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2018 11:31 am    Post subject:

Lakers News: Isaiah Thomas Confident Lonzo Ball Will Become ‘Special’ Player

Quote:
“Lonzo is a great kid. I mean, I don’t think you’re going to be able to fix his jump shot, but you can work with it and get it better than how it is right now. He’s a talented, talented young player that’s going to be special in this league because he has the tools to be special.”

https://www.lakersnation.com/lakers-news-isaiah-thomas-confident-lonzo-ball-become-special-player/2018/08/12/
Practice
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2018 11:38 am    Post subject:

unleasHell wrote:
Practice wrote:
unleasHell wrote:

What makes no sense, is a NBA player making just under $7.5 million that MISSES 69.5% of his three point shots, if you failed 69% of the time at your job, I'm pretty sure you'd be fired...!

Th average is like 35%, and even the best shooters are missing the majority of their 3 pointers, so that comparison doesn’t make sense.

Also, that has nothing to do with taking wide open shots.
lakersfever714
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2018 1:57 pm    Post subject:

Flip burgers
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 1142, 1143, 1144 ... 1686, 1687, 1688  Next
Page 1143 of 1688
Jump to: