OFFICIAL IVICA ZUBAC THREAD
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 226, 227, 228 ... 288, 289, 290  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ziggy
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2018 2:37 pm    Post subject:

I still think Zu is a long term project. Between McGee, Lebron and Beas, I don't think he'll get many minutes this season.
laker50
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2018 10:15 am    Post subject:

The only position weakness to the Lakers seems to be the center position. But the FO must have been knowing what to do when they gave up Lopez.
So Zubac seems to be the biggest hope.
He just has to rebound, protect the rim, and play defense against the big centers.
The same with McGee.

If Wagner comes around he is more versatile and can play outside.
But he has to build up and get used to the NBA game.

The time for the Lakers is now, no more build for future.
lakersboy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2018 8:19 pm    Post subject:

Ziggy wrote:
I still think Zu is a long term project. Between McGee, Lebron and Beas, I don't think he'll get many minutes this season.

I don't remember if it was Luke or Malinka, but they already said he's going to get plenty of minutes this season. Beasley isn't a quality center on a successful team, imo. LeBron wil probably only be center in specialty matchups.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2018 8:23 pm    Post subject:

Ziggy wrote:

my guess is that project shows results this season, or that project will cease in a Lakers uniform
lakersboy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2018 8:25 pm    Post subject:

laker50 wrote:
The only position weakness to the Lakers seems to be the center position. But the FO must have been knowing what to do when they gave up Lopez.
So Zubac seems to be the biggest hope.
He just has to rebound, protect the rim, and play defense against the big centers.
The same with McGee.

If Wagner comes around he is more versatile and can play outside.
But he has to build up and get used to the NBA game.

The time for the Lakers is now, no more build for future.

Mcgee looked good when he played on a team where he only had to provide support. He'll be fine here. The Lakers knew what they were doing by letting Lopez and Bryant go. They're obviously not holding onto summer league memories.

I expect Zubac to be ok, even Wagner, once he tightens up his dribble and learns how to push back without falling. The strength issue may take a year or so, but he has a lot of talent they can use now and in the future.
h2omike
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 1:55 pm    Post subject:

Zu may look like how Mozgov looked when he played with the Cavs.
rmonkey
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 2:56 pm    Post subject:

h2omike wrote:

I'd take that in a heart beat.
PartyMan
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 3:10 pm    Post subject:

rmonkey wrote:
h2omike wrote:

I suppose that wouldn't be too bad. The problem wasn't Mozgov the player, it was the contract. Zubac providing that for peanuts is good.

Deng on the other hand, I don't think he can even play anymore.
Judah
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 3:13 pm    Post subject:

FWIW, emplay said a few days ago that Zubac has looked good during his offseason workouts, so that's at least encouraging to hear. Hopefully it actually translates.
Judah
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 3:17 pm    Post subject:

PartyMan wrote:
rmonkey wrote:
h2omike wrote:

I suppose that wouldn't be too bad. The problem wasn't Mozgov the player, it was the contract. Zubac providing that for peanuts is good.

Deng on the other hand, I don't think he can even play anymore.

Note that he said Mozgov when he was a Cav. Mozgov was really good for Cleveland, particularly during his first year, until he got injured.
Annihilator
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 3:25 pm    Post subject:

Judah wrote:
FWIW, emplay said a few days ago that Zubac has looked good during his offseason workouts, so that's at least encouraging to hear. Hopefully it actually translates.

Personally, I think he will be one of the major surprises this next season. I am hopeful that Zubac and McGee--with Wagner as the backup when there are minor/short term injuries--will cover the center position quite well for the Lakers.

--Anonymous
pokoy

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 8:51 pm    Post subject:

Zubac looks like he's lost a good amount of weight.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Annihilator
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2018 4:34 am    Post subject:

pokoy wrote:
Zubac looks like he's lost a good amount of weight.

He does. Last year he came to camp at 8% body fat. He now looks almost skinny. Considering that elite athletes often have body fat percentages that run from 5%-8% (and being below 5% is considered dangerous) I don't see where he had much to lose. Maybe he has put on some muscle that that just gives his body better form.

--Anonymous
PengShow
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2018 5:10 am    Post subject:

He might be a reason as to why they didn't bother getting another center.
Have McGee and Zu share the majority of the minutes at center.

Bron and whoever else against small-ball lineups will suffice.
Jesusdelonla
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2018 6:38 am    Post subject:

Looks lean
defense
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2018 8:24 am    Post subject:

Feels like they were stashing him. Let's see if he gets a real chance this season. I think he can play.
Ziggy
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2018 10:08 am    Post subject:

lakersboy wrote:
Ziggy wrote:

I don't remember if it was Luke or Malinka, but they already said he's going to get plenty of minutes this season. Beasley isn't a quality center on a successful team, imo. LeBron wil probably only be center in specialty matchups.

If Beas can hit 40% of his 3's like he did last season, he'll be a good fit with Lebron in limited minutes. I'm rooting for Zu. He's our lovable giant. I really had high hopes for him after his rookie season. Hopefully his international play this summer will jumpstart his career.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2018 10:14 am    Post subject:

40% at 1 attempt per game means he makes one every 2.5 games.
h2omike
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2018 12:17 pm    Post subject:

With McGee and Zu, I’m not really worried about the three pointers, I’d rather see them finish better in the paint, and for Zu especially to hit those midrange jumpers.
Annihilator
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2018 1:55 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:

Where did the 1 attempt per game come from? Why not 2? 3? 5?

--Anonymous
RobinInHood
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2018 3:11 pm    Post subject:

There’s no doubt that the kid have skills, and looks to have done great job transforming himself into a leaner machine. The one thing that he needs to really work on though is his attitude. He comes off a bit aloof and disenchanted sometimes. He needs to find to that grit, the dog within himself if you will, and start pushing people around and get his space. I’d love to see him get some decent playing time this year and hopefully, make the most out of it.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2018 3:13 pm    Post subject:

Annihilator wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:

You have to ask him but he only averaged a little over 1 attempt a game.
Annihilator
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2018 4:25 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
Annihilator wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:

You have to ask him but he only averaged a little over 1 attempt a game.

I understand the context of the comment now. Thanks.

--Anonymous
Agramer
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2018 12:06 am    Post subject:

yesterday on Croatian basketball webportal an interview with Zubac was posted before World Championship Qualifiers:
https://basketball.hr/vijesti/ivica-zubac-citavo-ljeto-treniram-u-la-u-i-potuci-cu-se-za-prvu-petorku/6144

first couple of questions are about Qualifiers, rest about NBA and Lakers:

Asked about physical improvement in NBA, Zubac replied:
It's serious work when season ends. All players train, it can't be really called "off season" because they work 4-5 days a week, gym weight training, individual training, 5 on 5 training. They are working all the time , he didn't go on vacation, he is just now in Croatia for Qualifiers, otherwise he is in LA all summer training.

Asked about a lot of new teammates this season:

He met them all except Lance Stephenson who is yet to show up. With all others he trained and scrimmaged 5 on 5. They are all great guys, that will help the team, they are all winners, they all played on playoff teams and when they mesh with young guys it will be a very good team.

Asked about playing with LeBron:
He had first hand info from national team teammate Ante Žižić that played last season with LeBron with Cavs. They talked during the whole season about other players. The shared several teammates (Channing Frye, Isaiah Thomas, Larry Nance Jr. Jordan Clarkson). They (Zubac & Žižić) talked about what those players can help, what they can help those players, etc
He met LeBron last month, had several trainings, he's a great worker, they played 5 on 5 and playing with LeBron was a joy. He never played with a player like that , not even close, a whole different world.

Asked about new season, his third and last on this contract, about expectations, playing time and better stats:

Lakers told him that he will have plenty of chances and that starting five spot is still a possibility for him, because only LeBron spot is safe. All other spots will be fought for in trainings. On his position is JaVale McGee and he thinks that he can take on him on equal footing and that he will have good amount of playing time even if he doesn't win starting spot, because McGee never in his career played a lot of minutes.
Lakers are telling him all through the summer, that they are satisfied how he trained and improved. They are satisfied how he played for national team.

About Magic Johnson:
You can always ask him for advice, but he is first to come and tell you what is good, what is bad, how to do something. He'll always tell you how it is, if it's worse thing he'll tell it anyway. Some people don't accept that, but it's for their benefit. Magic is a Legend and you always listen to what he says.
There were often situations , when Zubac was individually training, because Magic has office that looks on the training court, that Magic looked how Zu was training and then Magic came down to the court and engaged in training and told Zu how something should be done.
He is always there for advice , always in gym and open to all questions not only about basketball.

About working with Kareem Abdul-Jabbar:
It was just couple of times last season. Kareem expressed desire to be his mentor but front office apparently didn't come to agreement with him.
It was a great experience for Zu. Kareem is best scorer in NBA history, top 5 players in NBA history. He learned a lot from him, and really hoped to work with him every day, maybe some other time.

About Luke Walton:
Luke is really great, you feel more like he is your teammate, that's his approach to players, he is really close to players. He's not too tough, but really knows basketball. People that are long time with Lakers told Zu, when Phil Jackson was coach and Luke was a player, Phil realised that Luke has a knack for a coach and always kept him close, explaining stuff to him, Luke always asked questions , he was really interested. He always texts Zu,about national team's preparations, what are they doing. He is really great coach.

About his free time in LA:
He mostly likes to stay at home and rest, be with his girlfriend. They go to the Beach, Shopping Malls and Restaurants with good food, trying out different types of cuisines.
epak
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2018 1:33 am    Post subject:

Thanks Agramer. Good stuff!
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 226, 227, 228 ... 288, 289, 290  Next
Page 227 of 290
Jump to: