OFFICIAL BRANDON INGRAM THREAD
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 1140, 1141, 1142 ... 1883, 1884, 1885  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 9:57 am    Post subject:

Tatum wasn’t all that Impressive against Milwaukee in the 1st round but his fan boys will ignore that.
SocalDevin
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 11:49 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
Judah wrote:
I think his game will soar this year. He's a young point forward and is now under the tutelage of the greatest point forward ever, a guy who knows how to empower his teammates.

I think so too. Being the first scoring option last year was a good learning experience but took a toll on his body.

I don't believe it took a toll on him. Winslow jumped into him knee first and injured him. He would have played a good amount of games last season otherwise.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 11:53 am    Post subject:

SocalDevin wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
Judah wrote:
I think his game will soar this year. He's a young point forward and is now under the tutelage of the greatest point forward ever, a guy who knows how to empower his teammates.

I think so too. Being the first scoring option last year was a good learning experience but took a toll on his body.

I don't believe it took a toll on him. Winslow jumped into him knee first and injured him. He would have played a good amount of games last season otherwise.

That was an injury no doubt. But his body was not simply ready to carry that much of a load IMO as the primary scorer for a whole season at his precocious age/body development. But I think it was a good experience that will help him tremendously, as well as his stints as a "PG."

Bear in mind, we're comparing with guys like Tatum/Brown who have more developed bodies. BI will catch up somewhat physically, but not sure he could have sustained his role up to the conference finals. Of course those two had more help as well.
SocalDevin
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 11:56 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
SocalDevin wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
Judah wrote:

That was an injury no doubt. But his body was not simply ready to carry that much of a load IMO as the primary scorer for a whole season at his precocious age/body development. But I think it was a good experience that will help him tremendously, as well as his stints as a "PG."

Bear in mind, we're comparing with guys like Tatum/Brown who have more developed bodies. BI will catch up somewhat physically, but not sure he could have sustained his role up to the conference finals. Of course those two had more help as well.

That's a reasonable take, I just don't agree because as the season progressed he became more efficient. Which suggests he wasn't effected by all the responsibilities he shouldered.
TheBlackMamba
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 12:28 pm    Post subject:

SocalDevin wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
SocalDevin wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
Judah wrote:

That's a reasonable take, I just don't agree because as the season progressed he became more efficient. Which suggests he wasn't effected by all the responsibilities he shouldered.

The responsibilities he had changed through the season, though (for the better), and I'd argue that they were less physically demanding later on. Like yinoma said, in the beginning he was tasked as our primary scorer, which he just wasn't ready for. As his game started becoming more multi-faceted and trending towards a scoring/playmaking hybrid skillset (ultimately peaking with his run at PG), that's when he became more efficient. He was forced to start thinking through the game more and letting offense come to him, rather than slashing into the defense over and over and forcing shots up at times, which I think is pretty clearly rougher on his body at this point.

His worst stretch, in terms of efficiency, was in December playing over 38 minutes a game and averaging almost 15 FGA. That's also when the little injuries started affecting him. During his hot February, he only played 33 MPG, obviously shot the ball less as a function of his minutes, but averaged more points and assists with a noticeable spike in efficiency. He was probably still getting his shots up at a similar or higher rate, but the quality of the shots was so much better because they weren't entirely based on him creating looks for himself. Sure, he initiated offense as the "PG" a lot, but his scoring was done more off-ball, spot-up three-pointers, etc. And he thrived in that role, which is why he's going to be a beast with Lebron here to absorb the primary scorer attention and responsibilities.

That March injury probably was more of a fluke than a result of the wear and tear he was sustaining earlier in the season, though.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 12:36 pm    Post subject:

It won't be as much of a problem with LBJ.

I think BI, once he gets adjusted to playing with a dominant player like LBJ, will be liberated to not carry so much of the burden. Really looking forward to how he improves this year.
SocalDevin
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 12:40 pm    Post subject:

TheBlackMamba wrote:
SocalDevin wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
SocalDevin wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
Judah wrote:

The responsibilities he had changed through the season, though (for the better), and I'd argue that they were less physically demanding later on. Like yinoma said, in the beginning he was tasked as our primary scorer, which he just wasn't ready for. As his game started becoming more multi-faceted and trending towards a scoring/playmaking hybrid skillset (ultimately peaking with his run at PG), that's when he became more efficient. He was forced to start thinking through the game more and letting offense come to him, rather than slashing into the defense over and over and forcing shots up at times, which I think is pretty clearly rougher on his body at this point.

His worst stretch, in terms of efficiency, was in December playing over 38 minutes a game and averaging almost 15 FGA. That's also when the little injuries started affecting him. During his hot February, he only played 33 MPG, obviously shot the ball less as a function of his minutes, but averaged more points and assists with a noticeable spike in efficiency. He was probably still getting his shots up at a similar or higher rate, but the quality of the shots was so much better because they weren't entirely based on him creating looks for himself. Sure, he initiated offense as the "PG" a lot, but his scoring was done more off-ball, spot-up three-pointers, etc. And he thrived in that role, which is why he's going to be a beast with Lebron here to absorb the primary scorer attention and responsibilities.

That March injury probably was more of a fluke than a result of the wear and tear he was sustaining earlier in the season, though.

That's really all I'm saying boss.
TheBlackMamba
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 12:42 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:

I think BI, once he gets adjusted to playing with a dominant player like LBJ, will be liberated to not carry so much of the burden. Really looking forward to how he improves this year.

I think it has great potential to be a perfect marriage of sorts, but the only thing I'm remotely worried about is if BI gets pushed so far off ball with LBJ, Rondo, and even Year 2 Zo/Kuz that he becomes invisible within the offense. I'm fairly confident his issues of passivity are behind him, though.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 12:44 pm    Post subject:

TheBlackMamba wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

I think it has great potential to be a perfect marriage of sorts, but the only thing I'm remotely worried about is if BI gets pushed so far off ball with LBJ, Rondo, and even Year 2 Zo/Kuz that he becomes invisible within the offense. I'm fairly confident his issues of passivity are behind him, though.

He's had his stints/interships as a scorer and playmaker. I think he will be able to find a nice mix. Plus LBJ draws so much gravity that BI being single covered by a team's non-best defender should be opportunities for him to capitalize on.
SocalDevin
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 12:49 pm    Post subject:

TheBlackMamba wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

I'm also looking forward to seeing him on the floor while being a second initiator/scorer, and seeing how long it takes him to make the necessary adjustments.

He might be okay out of the gate, or it could take him a while. It being so easy to play with Bron, I'm thinking he'll acclimate within a few games.
Japago
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 12:58 pm    Post subject:

I don't see the argument for Ingram > Tatum. Tatum is younger and has been a much more efficient scorer and better defender. His volume numbers would be better without the 2 all-stars. Even with a slight drop in efficiency, he stills beats Ingram there. I don't think Ingram's play-making makes up the difference either.

He shot .475/.434/.826. That kind of efficiency is really impressive.
SocalDevin
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 1:07 pm    Post subject:

Japago wrote:
I don't see the argument for Ingram > Tatum. Tatum is younger and has been a much more efficient scorer and better defender. His volume numbers would be better without the 2 all-stars. Even with a slight drop in efficiency, he stills beats Ingram there. I don't think Ingram's play-making makes up the difference either.

He shot .475/.434/.826. That kind of efficiency is really impressive.

They're both 20 years old.. Much more efficient scorer is also an overstatement.

We also don't know what Tatum's volume numbers would look like under different conditions.
lonzobryant
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 1:12 pm    Post subject:

I think it's fair to say that Ingram, Hart, Kuz, and Lonzo would probably be better players if they were playing with Brad Stevens. I don't mean that as a disrespect to Luke Walton but Stevens >>>> Walton.
textbook
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 1:17 pm    Post subject:

I think the opinions of many will change once a couple of our young guys have some big games in the playoffs. I think that's what happened in Boston with Tatum, Brown, and Rozier.
lakerican
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 1:29 pm    Post subject:

Celtics have a Green Ferrari
Lakers have a Gold Lamborghini

AirTupac
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 2:05 pm    Post subject:

KeepItRealOrElse wrote:
AirTupac wrote:
And I laugh at the fact that there have been some people telling me Tatum AND Brown are both better players than Ingram. Ingram will literally be tiers above Brown sooner than later. Tatum is great but Ingram is greater.

I think this is crazy. I see them all being in the same tier possibly. Brown is slightly better than Ingram right now, and his game has room to grow - maybe not quite the same ceiling as Ingram, but def room to grow creating and slashing, and being a top 4 wing defender soon..... Could be like Indy Paul George , and we don’t know if Ingram will get there.
Tatum could be Pierce or 2012 Kobe. Ingram could be Grant Hill

How is he better??

Ingram had a better statistical year while being the main guy teams defend against AND is able to run the point pretty well. Longer, taller, better potential on both sides of the ball. Brown is no comparison. It will laughed in 3 years time when Ingram is allstar level and Brown is just a good player.
Car54
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 2:16 pm    Post subject:

pokoy wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:
Car54 wrote:
AirTupac wrote:
And I laugh at the fact that there have been some people telling me Tatum AND Brown are both better players than Ingram. Ingram will literally be tiers above Brown sooner than later. Tatum is great but Ingram is greater.

Tatum benefits from playing with two Allstars and under Brad.

And BI in theory will finally breakthrough playing with a all-time great.

New narrative - Ingram could only break through while playing with Lebron. Tatum and Brown broke through in the playoffs by themselves.

Al Horford was there for the whole ride and was the best player in the first round and second round series.
Car54
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 2:20 pm    Post subject:

TheBlackMamba wrote:
MJST wrote:
Car54 wrote:
AirTupac wrote:

Tatum benefits from playing with two Allstars and under Brad.

Did he have those two all-stars in the playoffs?

He was impressive in the playoffs, but people act like he dominated every game. He had his highs and his lows like every player, definitely some flashes of greatness mixed in there, but it wasn't just him alone carrying that team. He, Brown, and Rozier all had their moments, and let's not forget the presence of an All-Star like Horford. Also, are we really going to pretend that the Eastern Conference playoffs last year were actually some respectable measure or test of greatness? That may have been one of the weakest group of playoff teams, all-time, which isn't even an exaggeration.

At the end of the day, his 19/4/3 averages in the playoffs were good, even great for a rookie. But I'm gonna need to see him do a little bit more against stiffer competition before I start calling him the second coming of Kobe (which yes, a lot of media folks and casual fans are doing now), or at least become the best SF on his own team first.

I agree
Car54
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 2:22 pm    Post subject:

AirTupac wrote:
KeepItRealOrElse wrote:
AirTupac wrote:

I think this is crazy. I see them all being in the same tier possibly. Brown is slightly better than Ingram right now, and his game has room to grow - maybe not quite the same ceiling as Ingram, but def room to grow creating and slashing, and being a top 4 wing defender soon..... Could be like Indy Paul George , and we don’t know if Ingram will get there.

How is he better??

Ingram had a better statistical year while being the main guy teams defend against AND is able to run the point pretty well. Longer, taller, better potential on both sides of the ball. Brown is no comparison. It will laughed in 3 years time when Ingram is allstar level and Brown is just a good player.

Better defender and better body but it ends there.
GODBE
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 2:41 pm    Post subject:

From what I watched last season, I believe Ingram will struggle and be moved into a bench role within the first couple months of the season.
KeepItRealOrElse
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 3:38 pm    Post subject:

Car54 wrote:
AirTupac wrote:
KeepItRealOrElse wrote:
AirTupac wrote:

How is he better??

How are y’all not aware that he’s also a much better shooter... double the 3pt attempts. Also grades out far better across the board analytic wise .. he’s better.
TheBlackMamba
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 3:44 pm    Post subject:

KeepItRealOrElse wrote:
Car54 wrote:
AirTupac wrote:
KeepItRealOrElse wrote:
AirTupac wrote:

How is he better??

How are y’all not aware that he’s also a much better shooter... double the 3pt attempts. Also grades out far better across the board analytic wise .. he’s better.

I'm onboard with him being better as of the end of last season. What I don't agree with (and this isn't something you said, just seemingly the general consensus among NBA fans and national media) is that he's leaps and bounds better as a prospect. I think we can all agree that BI is gonna start bridging the gap in Year 3, especially now that we have a better roster to surround him with. I never liked the apples to oranges comparisons of our prospects to others who are on contending teams with less responsibility and more experienced coaches.
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 3:45 pm    Post subject:

GODBE wrote:
From what I watched last season, I believe Ingram will struggle and be moved into a bench role within the first couple months of the season.

I’m so hyped for this season to start but then I see a post like this
KeepItRealOrElse
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 4:02 pm    Post subject:

TheBlackMamba wrote:
KeepItRealOrElse wrote:
Car54 wrote:
AirTupac wrote:
KeepItRealOrElse wrote:
AirTupac wrote:

How is he better??

I'm onboard with him being better as of the end of last season. What I don't agree with (and this isn't something you said, just seemingly the general consensus among NBA fans and national media) is that he's leaps and bounds better as a prospect. I think we can all agree that BI is gonna start bridging the gap in Year 3, especially now that we have a better roster to surround him with. I never liked the apples to oranges comparisons of our prospects to others who are on contending teams with less responsibility and more experienced coaches.

Ya that’s stupid. My theory is that those people only watch our games every so often.. Young players have peaks and valleys in their seasons, and you have to consistently watch them to get a feel for their inconsistent budding skills
Annihilator
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 5:17 pm    Post subject:

lonzobryant wrote:
I think it's fair to say that Ingram, Hart, Kuz, and Lonzo would probably be better players if they were playing with Brad Stevens. I don't mean that as a disrespect to Luke Walton but Stevens >>>> Walton.

Some of this has been the talent that each coach has had with which to work. At this point it is clear that Ainge >>>> Buss/Kupchak. The list of trades where Ainge has flat out snookered the other side continues to grow. Now that the Lakers and Celtics are closer to each other in terms of talent, we will get a better idea of how to compare Stevens and Walton. Stevens certainly deserves the strong reputation that he has.

--Anonymous
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 1140, 1141, 1142 ... 1883, 1884, 1885  Next
Page 1141 of 1885
Jump to: