OFFICIAL LONZO BALL THREAD
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 1143, 1144, 1145 ... 1686, 1687, 1688  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2018 1:59 pm    Post subject:

unleasHell wrote:
MENTALLY, he can work on:

NOT shooting any three pointers and when the other team leaves him completely alone at the three point line - DRIVE and kick DON'T SHOOT IT...!

Ok, he can shoot 1 per game, if he makes that one he can shoot a second three pointer, but after he misses just one - he is done , for the game..

Play right into the defense’s plans
oldlakerfan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2018 2:01 pm    Post subject:

giordan0 wrote:
This summer was wasted.

He just spent doing things outside of basketball.

Is this a big mistake by the Lakers Medical staff?

They wasted 2 1/2 months before deciding on surgery. Or is this the path that Lonzo choose. Sure would like to understand how this situation got so messed up and who is responsible for the bad decisions.
Eindhoven
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2018 2:45 pm    Post subject:

unleasHell wrote:
Practice wrote:
unleasHell wrote:

NOT shooting any three pointers and when the other team leaves him completely alone at the three point line - DRIVE and kick DON'T SHOOT IT...!

Ok, he can shoot 1 per game, if he makes that one he can shoot a second three pointer, but after he misses just one - he is done , for the game..

It makes no sense to tell him not to shoot wide open 3 pointers or set an arbitrary number of attempts.

What makes no sense, is a NBA player making just under $7.5 million that MISSES 69.5% of his three point shots, if you failed 69% of the time at your job, I'm pretty sure you'd be fired...!

Don’t worry, there are MVP candidates making $35M per year and missing 70.2% of 3pt shoots (4.1 attempts per game).
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2018 3:25 pm    Post subject:

oldlakerfan wrote:
giordan0 wrote:
This summer was wasted.

They wasted 2 1/2 months before deciding on surgery. Or is this the path that Lonzo choose. Sure would like to understand how this situation got so messed up and who is responsible for the bad decisions.

Healing without surgery is always the best option
giordan0
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2018 4:25 pm    Post subject:

oldlakerfan wrote:
giordan0 wrote:
This summer was wasted.

If the knee needed cleaning up it should have been done before the season ended instead of waiting for it months later - the kid pretty much lost this offseason to work on skills development.
Judah
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2018 4:57 pm    Post subject:

There was an article posted here not too long ago (month and a half?) written by a doctor who also happens to be a Laker fan. He broke everything down and demonstrated that there was nothing unusual about the way it was handled at all. The medical staff didn't botch anything.
deal
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 6:32 am    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
oldlakerfan wrote:
giordan0 wrote:
This summer was wasted.

Yeah, you don’t want to do anything invasive as a
first choice.

That said, the FO should make him work on the stuff he was
unable to work on during he off season once recovered. Not
throw him out there to take the same crappy form shots he took
last season.
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 7:51 am    Post subject:

3 Improvements Lonzo Ball Must Make in 2018-19

http://www.nbaanalysis.net/2018/08/12/los-angeles-lakers-3-improvements-lonzo-ball-must-make-in-2018-19/
Megaton
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 8:21 am    Post subject:

unleasHell wrote:
Practice wrote:
unleasHell wrote:

It makes no sense to tell him not to shoot wide open 3 pointers or set an arbitrary number of attempts.

What makes no sense, is a NBA player making just under $7.5 million that MISSES 69.5% of his three point shots, if you failed 69% of the time at your job, I'm pretty sure you'd be fired...!

Going along with your nonsense logic, in Baseball, if you fail hitting 70% of the time, you are a hall of famer. Deal with it.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 8:39 am    Post subject:

unleasHell wrote:

I understand where you're coming from, but in the modern NBA, this would make Ball a liability. Teams will just ignore him and wait for him to pass the ball. If Ball is going to develop into a star quality player, he needs to be able to make the open three or take the ball to the rim and finish. Preferably both.
yammy1688
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 11:17 am    Post subject:

He had a stretch where he shot fine. He'll be fine.

FTs are the bigger concern.
RobinInHood
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 12:02 pm    Post subject:

yammy1688 wrote:

Agree. Unorthodox shooting form aside, he shot well in college and while he struggled badly at times this last season, he found his rhythm at the end take. Those free throws though...
epak
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 12:07 pm    Post subject:

https://twitter.com/LakersNation/status/1029085870324760576

At the JBA game. Picture 3, where he's looking at his mom, is a nice one.
oldlakerfan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 12:11 pm    Post subject:

Judah wrote:
There was an article posted here not too long ago (month and a half?) written by a doctor who also happens to be a Laker fan. He broke everything down and demonstrated that there was nothing unusual about the way it was handled at all. The medical staff didn't botch anything.

If this happened in October would we follow the same conservative treatment plan? Maybe they didn't botch anything but he did lose his off season.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 12:17 pm    Post subject:

epak wrote:

She's holding the mic... Is she back talking? That would be an amazing success story
RobinInHood
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 12:26 pm    Post subject:

Great picture indeed.
splashmtn
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 12:59 pm    Post subject:

2019 wrote:
epak wrote:

She's holding the mic... Is she back talking? That would be an amazing success story
she can speak a lot better now than she could when she first came home thats for sure. crazy lavar and the speech person they have/ or had working with her is doing a great job with her. It is still crazy how your brain can forget something so basic as speech. like literally forget how to do something it's been doing since you were a kid. there was some part to one of those ball in the family episodes where lavar was trying to get her to say something working on her speaking. and she couldnt visualize the word in her head so it was hard for her to say it. it wasnt sad as much as weird to see thats really how the brain works. we just dont get it a lot of times because we're so used to it working properly we dont know how we do a lot of simple task that we do. truthfully non of these tasks are simple. we should know that seeing as hard difficult it has been and how long it has taken us to develop computers/AI to speak properly and not sound robotic.
splashmtn
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 1:06 pm    Post subject:

yammy1688 wrote:

i think it may be all tied together. horrible ft's = bad 3's.

because he use to shoot a good percentage from the ft line in high school. its the same distance. same free shot with no defenders on you. what changed? the competition, the crowd size, tv audience?

his ft's got worse in college and horrible in the nba. his 3's were very good in college and his nba 3's were pretty good for a college kid that was not known as a shooter. but in the nba he sucked at 3's. what changed? perhaps the ball they play with has a different feel, perhaps the comp, perhaps the crowd sizes, and the tv/internet audience.

This is why i dont think any of his play has to do with his pops mouth. that has always remained a constant. the other things I mentioned above are things that changed. which is why i think his level of increased bricks from both the ft line and 3pt line are all about whats going on between his two ears due to the amt of people watching him and his competition. not that they can bother his ft shot by defense. but just the mere fact "I'm playing with guys that I can't just be lonzo and thats enough. I have to reallly reallllly work on my game for years in order to be that far above the comp like I use to be in high school." There is a certain confidence and swagger you have when you know no one can stop you from doing what you want to do on the court. this is why a lot of high school monsters turn out to be just ok once college hits or once the pros hit. they lose their advantage and they are afraid from then on. and they are not willing to work that hard for that long to overcome that first initial shock and realize there is a way to become that superior player again but its going to take more than just raw talent.
splashmtn
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 2:07 pm    Post subject:

unleasHell wrote:

playing this way is a sign of fear. can't show that sign of fear or else you will get the rondo treatment when playing a real team. remember what kobe did to rondo backing up about 10 feet daring him to shoot. if you're wide open take that shot and make that shot.
Judah
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 9:50 pm    Post subject:

deal wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
oldlakerfan wrote:
giordan0 wrote:
This summer was wasted.

first choice.

last season.

I don't think the FO has to ”make” him work on his game. I really don't understand this weird perception some of you have that his work ethic is poor.
lonzobryant
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 6:38 am    Post subject:

I don't know why it keeps being mentioned but the FO has already stated that they're not changing Lonzo's shot:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/lonzowire.usatoday.com/2018/04/13/lakers-lonzo-ball-shooting-magic-johnson-rob-pelinka-luke-walton-exit-interviews-nba/amp/

Quote:
“Not going to change Lonzo’s shot,” Johnson said. “We’re going to work hard at just putting time in to make sure he can knock it down on a more consistent basis.”

“We don’t really talk or think about changing how he shoots,” Pelinka added.
epak
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 7:32 am    Post subject:

lonzobryant wrote:
I don't know why it keeps being mentioned but the FO has already stated that they're not changing Lonzo's shot:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/lonzowire.usatoday.com/2018/04/13/lakers-lonzo-ball-shooting-magic-johnson-rob-pelinka-luke-walton-exit-interviews-nba/amp/

Quote:
“Not going to change Lonzo’s shot,” Johnson said. “We’re going to work hard at just putting time in to make sure he can knock it down on a more consistent basis.”

“We don’t really talk or think about changing how he shoots,” Pelinka added.

Yep. Just get it consistent.
scooterp10
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 8:03 am    Post subject:

splashmtn wrote:
yammy1688 wrote:

i think it may be all tied together. horrible ft's = bad 3's.

because he use to shoot a good percentage from the ft line in high school. its the same distance. same free shot with no defenders on you. what changed? the competition, the crowd size, tv audience?

his ft's got worse in college and horrible in the nba. his 3's were very good in college and his nba 3's were pretty good for a college kid that was not known as a shooter. but in the nba he sucked at 3's. what changed? perhaps the ball they play with has a different feel, perhaps the comp, perhaps the crowd sizes, and the tv/internet audience.

This is why i dont think any of his play has to do with his pops mouth. that has always remained a constant. the other things I mentioned above are things that changed. which is why i think his level of increased bricks from both the ft line and 3pt line are all about whats going on between his two ears due to the amt of people watching him and his competition. not that they can bother his ft shot by defense. but just the mere fact "I'm playing with guys that I can't just be lonzo and thats enough. I have to reallly reallllly work on my game for years in order to be that far above the comp like I use to be in high school." There is a certain confidence and swagger you have when you know no one can stop you from doing what you want to do on the court. this is why a lot of high school monsters turn out to be just ok once college hits or once the pros hit. they lose their advantage and they are afraid from then on. and they are not willing to work that hard for that long to overcome that first initial shock and realize there is a way to become that superior player again but its going to take more than just raw talent.

He became the 19 year old starting point guard for his childhood team and the face of the franchise. The president of the team was basically calling him a hall of famer before he played even 1 min. His father was telling the world he was better then League MVPs.

It seems understandable that the pressure might have got to him in the beginning of the season, but he did respond and play well for a good chunk of games in the middle. From November 11th to March 5th (29 games) he shot 38%. That is very respectable and I think it will continue.
Jenn
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 10:27 pm    Post subject:

Judah wrote:
deal wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
oldlakerfan wrote:
giordan0 wrote:
This summer was wasted.

first choice.

last season.

I don't think the FO has to ”make” him work on his game. I really don't understand this weird perception some of you have that his work ethic is poor.
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 8:16 am    Post subject:

Previewing Lonzo Ball heading into his second season with the Lakers
Quote:
Lonzo Ball is heading into a huge season for his growth — and that development will play a key role in any success the Lakers hope to have.

https://www.silverscreenandroll.com/2018/8/16/17697536/podcast-previewing-lonzo-ball-heading-second-season-la-lakers-lebron-james-rajon-rondo-luke-walton
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 1143, 1144, 1145 ... 1686, 1687, 1688  Next
Page 1144 of 1688
Jump to: