View previous topic :: View next topic  
Omar Little

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2018 3:01 pm    Post subject:

Tiger gets second
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2018 6:27 pm    Post subject:

he gave us an exciting chase....1st time in a while that I was pumping my fist on the back 9 of the final round in a major.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2018 8:18 pm    Post subject:

this made me laugh in the CBS Sports article....

Quote:
Whatever you imagine of when you think of the archetypal golf crowd -- you know, the two-finger clapping and head nods and newspaper boy hats -- this was the complete and utter opposite of that. There were marshals corralling kids from running onto the course, millennials scaling trees -- presumably after searching "how to scale a tree" on YouTube -- and fans of every age digitally recording living history on their $800 phones. For posterity, of course.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2018 8:58 pm    Post subject:

Crazy day of exciting golf all around. Watching the rapid changes on the leaderboard was crazy enough. But to see the golf shots that made it all happen was riveting.

The course conditions made for an exciting weekend. Those soft greens made the approach game so fun to watch.

As for the Tiger aspect, he started the season as almost a novelty, and now he is a true contender.

Exciting times in golf.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Man, do those lyrics resonate right now
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 12:59 am    Post subject:

Tiger was legitimately 2 revolutions of the golf ball away from a 62, and if you want to take it a step further, one good drive into the fairway on 17 from a 61. He threw a lot of darts right at the bullseye; it was incredible to watch. Koepka is just unflappable, though. And so strong. I remarked on Twitter that he reminds me of Pete Sampras a bit, when he was dominating tennis. Pete had a way of overpowering his opponents with service aces at opportune times, just as Koepka can bomb drives in big moments to give him very short approach shots into greens. And both guys do it with a calm demeanor and are unflappable.

I mean, he's now won 3 of his last 6 majors (he was injured for the Masters this year). Even if he never wins another one, he doesn't have to apologize for anything for the rest of his career, and of course there will be many more Ryder Cup teams, Presidents Cup teams, PGA Tour wins (though he only has won 4 total PGA Tour events, with 3 of them being majors), etc.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 7:03 am    Post subject:

That’s the fun of golf. Despite being played over thousands of yards, everyone is inches from a much better score.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 7:55 am    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:
Tiger was legitimately 2 revolutions of the golf ball away from a 62, and if you want to take it a step further, one good drive into the fairway on 17 from a 61. He threw a lot of darts right at the bullseye; it was incredible to watch. Koepka is just unflappable, though. And so strong. I remarked on Twitter that he reminds me of Pete Sampras a bit, when he was dominating tennis. Pete had a way of overpowering his opponents with service aces at opportune times, just as Koepka can bomb drives in big moments to give him very short approach shots into greens. And both guys do it with a calm demeanor and are unflappable.

I mean, he's now won 3 of his last 6 majors (he was injured for the Masters this year). Even if he never wins another one, he doesn't have to apologize for anything for the rest of his career, and of course there will be many more Ryder Cup teams, Presidents Cup teams, PGA Tour wins (though he only has won 4 total PGA Tour events, with 3 of them being majors), etc.

More like half a revolution. I was waiting for THIS

Tiger Woods’ birdie putt did an excruciating dance on the edge of the hole

Love the picture of Lance Stephenson.

LINK

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
KingJamesLakers23
Rookie
Rookie

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 10:49 am    Post subject:

Koepka earned it down the stretch or else tiger would have won that major.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 11:04 am    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
More like half a revolution.

still think the massive gallery should have synced up a couple jumps.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 11:06 am    Post subject:

KingJamesLakers23 wrote:

he showed legendary poise on that back 9.....I wonder what he thought about his gallery and media attention being so small compared to Tigers on those last few holes? That kind of stuff can get in some players heads....but he seemed unfazed, or maybe even driven by the snub.
splashmtn
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 1:48 pm    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
ChickenStu wrote:

LINK
hilarious. hey, would it have been illegal if tiger would've hopped over to the ball(trying to jump and stomp hard enough to shake that ball in?) i mean all he needed was a gust of wind or a little shimmer.lol
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 9:49 pm    Post subject:

splashmtn wrote:
jodeke wrote:
ChickenStu wrote:

LINK
hilarious. hey, would it have been illegal if tiger would've hopped over to the ball(trying to jump and stomp hard enough to shake that ball in?) i mean all he needed was a gust of wind or a little shimmer.lol

Yes, that would be illegal. However, if members of the gallery had stomped up and down and the ball dropped in, that would be considered to be "the rub of the green" and it would have gone down as a birdie.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 10:18 pm    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
KingJamesLakers23 wrote:

he showed legendary poise on that back 9.....I wonder what he thought about his gallery and media attention being so small compared to Tigers on those last few holes? That kind of stuff can get in some players heads....but he seemed unfazed, or maybe even driven by the snub.

I love how he pulled out driver on 18. Supreme confidence.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 12:24 am    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
adkindo wrote:
KingJamesLakers23 wrote:

I love how he pulled out driver on 18. Supreme confidence.

I think it was definitely the right play, with a 2-stroke lead. A 2-shot swing was still in play on 18, and Scott could've birdied, so I don't think it would've been wise to just lay it back off the tee and have a longer approach. The way he bombs his driver, even if he had missed the fairway, at least his approach shot would've been with a wedge.

Incidentally, I really think Tiger made a mistake on 14 to hit an iron off the tee on the par 4. At the time, he had momentum and was just 1 stroke back. But with the way the course was playing, it's not like Tiger had the luxury of just trying to par in and hoping that his score could hold up. He even talked about this in his post-round interviews, saying he knew he had to go out and make birdies. I just think he should've taken driver and tried to hit it down there far enough to where he could have a wedge into the green with his approach. And at least if he hits a wayward drive, he could've been down there far enough to still reach the green. As we know, he hit his iron off the tee right, and was far enough back to where he couldn't reach the green with his second shot, with a bad lie in the rough. Cost him a bogey (that was the lipped-out par putt). I just think that in his position, he should have kept the pedal to the floor and went all out. Easy for me to say now, I know, but that's how I feel. He did the same thing at the Open on those two holes where he went 3 over (which basically cost him the tournament), and I was thinking to myself to hit driver, because at least with driver you would have a much shorter shot into the hole if you're out of the fairway. It's not like Tiger isn't immune to also hitting his irons off the tee in a wayward fashion, so you might as well get the distance out of the driver. Just my two cents.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 7:30 am    Post subject:

splashmtn wrote:
jodeke wrote:
ChickenStu wrote:

LINK

It would have been legal if a wind gust had blown the ball into the hole. He also would have had to play it were it lay if the wind had pushed the ball away from the hole.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 3:08 pm    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:
splashmtn wrote:
jodeke wrote:
ChickenStu wrote:

LINK

Yes, that would be illegal. However, if members of the gallery had stomped up and down and the ball dropped in, that would be considered to be "the rub of the green" and it would have gone down as a birdie.

I'm not sure but I think the gallery would be considered an outside agency and the ball would have to be replaced. However I think that would be subjective. How do you determine if the gallery caused the ball to move? Again I'm not sure but I think if your ball lands on a sprinkler you get a drop penalty free. The sprinkler is an outside agency.

LakerLanny
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2018 5:04 pm    Post subject:

Koepka looks big but he is 6-0, 186

But the biceps are bulging
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2018 12:48 pm    Post subject:

A 62 should boost the ratings for this weekend. The course must be pretty easy, as McIlroy is flirting with a 59.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2018 1:16 pm    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
A 62 should boost the ratings for this weekend. The course must be pretty easy, as McIlroy is flirting with a 59.

Eldrick atop the leader board -8. Good for golf. Hope he can maintain.

Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2018 1:51 pm    Post subject:

Tiger and Rory tied for the lead. Is that a TV network's dream, or what? Now, if only Phil can make a run tomorrow.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2018 10:34 am    Post subject:

Tiger shot even par today 5 off the leader Schauffele -13. He'll probably have a monster gallery tomorrow. If he charges up the leader board tomorrow Sunday's viewer numbers will be off the chart.

adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2018 7:08 am    Post subject:

Tiger is moving up the leader board...-4 on the day....1 shot back thru 9.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2018 8:32 am    Post subject:

Bogey at 14 probably ends his chance at winning.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2018 9:29 am    Post subject:

finishes up 2 off the lead @ -17. 3 tied at -19 still on the course on the 16th and 17th holes.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2018 9:46 am    Post subject:

Keegan Bradley surges to almost put in on lock at -21 thru 17. Rose has an outside chance at -19 on 16.

Update: Bradley opened the door with a bogey on 18, and it appears Rose is about to walk through it for the win. Rose wins with a par or better on 18.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 6 of 9
Jump to: