NBA League pass question for non-LA residents

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LG Neighborhood Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
delaluz
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2018 4:57 am    Post subject: NBA League pass question for non-LA residents

This question is for Laker faithful that subscribe to NBA league pass to watch Laker games and don't live in the "Laker viewing area" ...

I'm thinking about switching from Direct TV to either Dish or Spectrum due to a $100 price hike from Direct-ATT.

I subscribed to NBA League pass for 10 years while on Dish Network. The last year I was with Dish their version of NBA league pass only offered one channel (via the Dish satellite)for the Laker games. The majority of the time the announcers weren't the Laker announcers, the announcers were the other teams. In other words I had to listen to Tommy Heinsohn when they played the Celtics.

I've had Directv for the last two years & NBA League pass via Direct offers both the home & away games via the Satellite.

Has anyone used Dish for last year for NBA League pass? If so do they now show both home and away games via the satellite?

Has anyone used Spectrum cable for last year for NBA League pass? If so do they show both home and away games via the satellite?

Please note that I know that NBA League pass offers streaming via the web for both the home & away games. My question deals with can you get both the home & away games via the cable or satellite (so I can record them with my DVR).

Two years ago I tried calling Time Warner cable about this & they didn't know what I was talking about.

Thanks!

Berto
kobeandgary
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2018 5:59 am    Post subject: Re: NBA League pass question for non-LA residents

delaluz wrote:
This question is for Laker faithful that subscribe to NBA league pass to watch Laker games and don't live in the "Laker viewing area" ...

I'm thinking about switching from Direct TV to either Dish or Spectrum due to a $100 price hike from Direct-ATT.

I subscribed to NBA League pass for 10 years while on Dish Network. The last year I was with Dish their version of NBA league pass only offered one channel (via the Dish satellite)for the Laker games. The majority of the time the announcers weren't the Laker announcers, the announcers were the other teams. In other words I had to listen to Tommy Heinsohn when they played the Celtics.

I've had Directv for the last two years & NBA League pass via Direct offers both the home & away games via the Satellite.

Has anyone used Dish for last year for NBA League pass? If so do they now show both home and away games via the satellite?

Has anyone used Spectrum cable for last year for NBA League pass? If so do they show both home and away games via the satellite?

Please note that I know that NBA League pass offers streaming via the web for both the home & away games. My question deals with can you get both the home & away games via the cable or satellite (so I can record them with my DVR).

Two years ago I tried calling Time Warner cable about this & they didn't know what I was talking about.

Thanks!

Berto

Last time I had league pass through directv they offered Home and Away games for pretty much every game. Last year I just got the Online League pass and watched on my Roku and it also had Home and Away games.
Harlemlakerfan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2018 6:54 am    Post subject:

I have Spectrum cable but, I live in NYC. The league pass usually have home and away games except for nights when a lot of games are on. They only have a certain amount of channels to play games on and when there are too many games on at the same time, the sometimes broadcast on the home teams broadcast. Most nights though, you get both home a road and you can choose.
TDRock
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2018 12:39 pm    Post subject:

Sidenote to bear in mind: We are going to be broadcast on National TV much more this season since we've been LeBron-d

http://www.sportsmediawatch.com/nba-tv-schedule/
UKUGA
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2018 12:49 pm    Post subject:

The answers above are consistent with my experience.

Separately, I would strongly recommend buying a nice Roku or Chromecast and subscribing to Youtube TV for $40 month and adding League Pass via streaming.

If you don't believe me, check the YTTV channel offerings.

I'm switching to it because it offers NBA TV at no extra charge. That, combined with unlimited DVR makes is any easy decision for me to drop DTV.

Go Lakers.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2018 1:49 pm    Post subject:

TDRock wrote:
Sidenote to bear in mind: We are going to be broadcast on National TV much more this season since we've been LeBron-d

Since the Lakers are must see viewing this year, there is probably no cheap viewing like just subscribing to league pass and maybe missing a couple of nationally televised games. I assume you would have to subscribe to more than one streaming service this year to catch the games.
ExPatLkrFan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2018 3:08 pm    Post subject:

There are plenty of IPTV options. I pay less than 5 bucks a month have full NBA league pass, NFl package, MLB extra innings etc. Along with hundreds of other channels. Do your homework with Reddit IPTV channel they review many services
TDRock
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2018 7:03 pm    Post subject:

lakersken80 wrote:
TDRock wrote:

Since the Lakers are must see viewing this year, there is probably no cheap viewing like just subscribing to league pass and maybe missing a couple of nationally televised games. I assume you would have to subscribe to more than one streaming service this year to catch the games.

I travel a lot for work. I utilize and recommend Hehe for my on the road basketball needs.
LakerDynasty6.0
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2018 10:33 pm    Post subject:

I'm in a similar situation as the OP (not local to LA).

I can get a combination of NBALP + (TNT/ABC/ESPN/..)..

But what baffles me is all the Laker games on NBA-TV: (which i can't see live on League Pass) what do y'all recommed for that?
delaluz
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2018 4:44 am    Post subject:

Everyone:

Thanks for the input. Based on your comments & my experience:

Cable Satellite options

Directv offers both home & away broadcasts for each game carried by NBA league pass.

Dish (per my experience & a chat with their support yesterday) only broadcasts one version (home or away) for each game carried by NBA league pass. The version they broadcast is unpredictable season to season. 3-4 years ago we usually got the Laker announcers. 2015-2016 we got the other team announcers (think Tommy Heinsohn) for most of the NBA League pass

Based on HarlemLakerFan's post Spectrum usually broadcasts both the home and away stream (like Directv).

Internet Streaming options:

I have an Amazon Fire TV (like Roku) and realize that I can get both streams on this device. However, I like the convenience of using a DVR to record the games. If it was just me I would probably cut the cord & just stream everything. However, my wife's technical skills include using the DVR but not streaming

So, if I switch from Directv I might go to Spectrum.

Other comment: What I wish they had was an option to receive all the games covered by the Laker announcers, which given the technology is probably very doable. However, due to corporate financial factors not possible.

Again thanks.
ChefLinda

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2018 7:38 am    Post subject:

I subscribe via Comcast in Boston. For about 80% of the games I have a choice between home and away feed. I suspect that will be 100% now that the Lakers are relevant again.

My package also included the online league pass where every game had a home and away option (through NBA.com website).

The only games not available were games already being telecast on ESPN, TNT or NBATV. And Celtics games were blacked out here because they are available on local network.
Vishnu
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2018 1:47 pm    Post subject:

lakerdynasty5.0 wrote:
I'm in a similar situation as the OP (not local to LA).

I can get a combination of NBALP + (TNT/ABC/ESPN/..)..

But what baffles me is all the Laker games on NBA-TV: (which i can't see live on League Pass) what do y'all recommed for that?

I've been in the Bay for the past year. The bolded was very annoying.
Car54
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2018 1:58 pm    Post subject:

I have spectrum you get a mixture of away broadcasters and LA broadcasts. I really don't care who's calling the game I'm just happy to be able to watch them.
BigBallerBrand
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2019 11:38 pm    Post subject:

I have YouTube tv and will get league pass this year. Apparently u can sign up via India’s website for like $10/ year with a vpn. I plan on doing that
cheapedy
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2019 9:04 am    Post subject:

A few days ago I signed up for NBA Team Pass (Pelicans) to watch our former guys and Zion. I noticed that I got the $17.99 monthly charge that day. Next charge is on Oct 13.

Feeling stupid....I should have signed up before the first pre-season game at the very least.

DO NOT MAKE THIS MISTAKE!
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LG Neighborhood All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: