Carmelo to Rockets
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
unleasHell
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 8:47 pm    Post subject:

My guess is that he ends up being the guy to blame when the Rockets take a step backward next season and they release him...
Dreamshake
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 8:52 pm    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
Dreamshake wrote:
Steve007 wrote:
Most posts are about the Rockets offense. What is going to happen to the defense? Will the defense even be average anymore? Worse than average? Above average? Bad?

OKC had a top 10 defense last season when Melo was on the court. How much the defense falls off without Ariza/Luc will depend on James Ennis. Again, Melo isn't there to replace Ariza/Luc. He's there to replace the no defending PF that has started the majority of his games for us over the past two seasons.

Carmelo had a DRPM of -1.25. He was 73rd out of 83 PFs. If OKC had a top 10 defense when he was on the court, it wasn't because of Carmelo.

Point being you can still have a very good defense even with a weak defender like him, or Ryan Anderson, on the court. The question was will the defense even be average anymore.

Last edited by Dreamshake on Thu Aug 16, 2018 8:59 pm; edited 1 time in total
Dreamshake
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 8:57 pm    Post subject:

slavavov wrote:

Those are very fair points. But offense wasn't really Houston's problem.

It arguably was in G7 vs GS.

slavavov wrote:
If they needed to improve on something offensively, it's their 3-pt efficiency, where they ranked 13th. With all the 3s they shoot, I would've instead signed one or two dead-eye 3-pt shooters so that they won't go on a cold streak like they did in Game 7 of the WCF.

Agreed in full, but the team only had the MLE to offer and they had to split that amongst players.

slavavov wrote:

Melo may not be a bad 3-pt shooter when he's open, but he's not exactly a great one either. His shooting out there has always been up and down. He's not exactly the threat that Ryan Anderson is from downtown.

Last year he shot close to what Anderson shot on the type of shots Anderson got. The question is will he settle for those shots and eliminate his bad shots.

slavavov wrote:

And we haven't even talked about defense that much. Without Ariza I would've looked to pick up a good wing defender to replace him. Even when he was in his prime Melo didn't seem to play much defense, and he definitely doesn't play any D these days.

They picked up Ennis. He's no Ariza though. Again, Melo isn't here to replace the defensive SF we lost. He's going to replace the no defending PF.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 6:51 am    Post subject:

Dreamshake wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:
Carmelo had a DRPM of -1.25. He was 73rd out of 83 PFs. If OKC had a top 10 defense when he was on the court, it wasn't because of Carmelo.

Point being you can still have a very good defense even with a weak defender like him, or Ryan Anderson, on the court. The question was will the defense even be average anymore.

Carmelo isn't replacing Ryan Anderson. You still have him and all of the defense-optional minutes he gives you. If anything, Carmelo is replacing Luc Mbah a Moute. That's the reality of the situation.
cathy78
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 10:00 am    Post subject:

unleasHell wrote:
My guess is that he ends up being the guy to blame when the Rockets take a step backward next season and they release him...
I would take that blame for 2.4....
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 10:21 am    Post subject:

CandyCanes wrote:
Was Carmelo really even that good to begin with? Flashy offensive game but no defense and he's never done much other than that trip to the WCF against us when he had Billups.

Looking back peak Melo was in his Denver years. When I think of injured, disgruntled Melo I think of his time in the Knicks uniform.
governator
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 11:17 am    Post subject:

With CP3 and Harden running the offense, creating open looks/open 3s, is Melo really an upgrade to Ryan Anderson? I’m assuming they both would be spot up 3pt shooters in the Off scheme and not gonna be called for 1 on 1 ISO’s with CP3/Harden holding the ball (unless Melo play with the bench which he no a fan of doing)
Dreamshake
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 11:34 am    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
Dreamshake wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:

Carmelo isn't replacing Ryan Anderson. You still have him and all of the defense-optional minutes he gives you. If anything, Carmelo is replacing Luc Mbah a Moute. That's the reality of the situation.

Carmelo is replacing Anderson. Anderson was phased out of the starting lineup towards the end of the season. Melo will likely start alongside either Tucker or Ennis. He will be used as a stretch 4 just as Anderson was. Green will likely pick up most of Luc's minutes. Last years F minutes were between Ariza, Tucker, Luc and Anderson. Once Luc went down Green got more time. This year it will likely be Melo, Tucker, Ennis and Green.
Dreamshake
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 11:36 am    Post subject:

governator wrote:
With CP3 and Harden running the offense, creating open looks/open 3s, is Melo really an upgrade to Ryan Anderson? I’m assuming they both would be spot up 3pt shooters in the Off scheme and not gonna be called for 1 on 1 ISO’s with CP3/Harden holding the ball (unless Melo play with the bench which he no a fan of doing)

Yes, because Melo can do more than sit there and take open 3's if folks close out on him (he will have lots of space), and he also can post. The team has no post presence. After picking up Joe Johnson post buyout they tried to use him as a post option.
RobinInHood
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2018 12:41 am    Post subject:

I have no doubt that Melo will have a better year than last season. That ain't saying much though, as he was hot garbage most of the time. He'll have his looks, his moments but the Rockets are weaker this season and it's gonna cost them me thinks.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2018 7:34 am    Post subject:

Dreamshake wrote:
Carmelo is replacing Anderson. Anderson was phased out of the starting lineup towards the end of the season. Melo will likely start alongside either Tucker or Ennis. He will be used as a stretch 4 just as Anderson was. Green will likely pick up most of Luc's minutes. Last years F minutes were between Ariza, Tucker, Luc and Anderson. Once Luc went down Green got more time. This year it will likely be Melo, Tucker, Ennis and Green.

Wait . . . you think that Carmelo is going to start? Oh boy. If you're right, the Rockets just shot themselves in the foot. Carmelo shouldn't be playing more than about 15 mpg on the second unit.
Dreamshake
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 8:21 pm    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
Dreamshake wrote:

Wait . . . you think that Carmelo is going to start? Oh boy. If you're right, the Rockets just shot themselves in the foot. Carmelo shouldn't be playing more than about 15 mpg on the second unit.

Yes, I think a team that won 55 and 65 games starting Ryan Anderson at 30 and 26 mpg will start Carmelo Anthony in his place. Since the coach likes to stagger CP3 and Harden's minutes to keep one on the court at all times, I'm sure he will get lots of burn with the CP3 and others in the 2nd unit.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2018 5:59 am    Post subject:

Dreamshake wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:
Dreamshake wrote:

Yes, I think a team that won 55 and 65 games starting Ryan Anderson at 30 and 26 mpg will start Carmelo Anthony in his place. Since the coach likes to stagger CP3 and Harden's minutes to keep one on the court at all times, I'm sure he will get lots of burn with the CP3 and others in the 2nd unit.

Wow, you're really drinking the Kool-Aid. You actually think that Carmelo is still a good player. I hate to tell you this, but replacing Ryan Anderson with Carmelo is a downgrade. This is not because Ryan Anderson is so good. It's because Carmelo is only a shadow of the overrated player he used to be.
Snipes
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2018 10:49 pm    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
Dreamshake wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:
Dreamshake wrote:

Wow, you're really drinking the Kool-Aid. You actually think that Carmelo is still a good player. I hate to tell you this, but replacing Ryan Anderson with Carmelo is a downgrade. This is not because Ryan Anderson is so good. It's because Carmelo is only a shadow of the overrated player he used to be.

Overreaction based on one season with a new team + Westbrook. Frankly nobody knows what Melo is anymore. We will find out soon enough.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2018 1:49 pm    Post subject:

Snipes wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:

Overreaction based on one season with a new team + Westbrook. Frankly nobody knows what Melo is anymore. We will find out soon enough.

Not really. Carmelo has been in decline for a number of years. He was poor during his last season with the Knicks. He just turned 34. Of course, he could always be effective in some sort of limited role, but DS is talking about Carmelo as a starter. I appreciate your point about Westbrook, but sometimes what you see is what you get.
Snipes
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2018 1:29 am    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
Snipes wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:

Not really. Carmelo has been in decline for a number of years. He was poor during his last season with the Knicks. He just turned 34. Of course, he could always be effective in some sort of limited role, but DS is talking about Carmelo as a starter. I appreciate your point about Westbrook, but sometimes what you see is what you get.

I just don't think he's as bad as he was last tear but let's see.
Dreamshake
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2018 9:40 pm    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
Snipes wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:

I am (on the bolded), because he's replacing Ryan Anderson, and he's better than him. He was better than last year's version of Anderson as well...the one that lost his confidence and continually passed up open shot after open shot (the real reason he got parked on the bench).
governator
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2018 9:31 am    Post subject:

Marc Spears, The Undefeated: I was pretty shocked to see that Carmelo Anthony was not listed in the top 100 (ESPN Ranking). The new Houston Rockets forward could get the best shots of his career while playing alongside James Harden and Chris Paul. People are really hard on Melo, fair or unfair. But not being in the top 100 sounds pretty ridiculous for a player who should have a great offensive season for the Rockets.
Steve007
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2018 3:50 pm    Post subject:

So far this isn’t off to a good start. 3-10 shooting in both games, 2-12 from three.

https://www.basketball-reference.com/players/a/anthoca01/gamelog/2019
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2018 4:01 pm    Post subject:

Steve007 wrote:
So far this isn’t off to a good start. 3-10 shooting in both games, 2-12 from three.

https://www.basketball-reference.com/players/a/anthoca01/gamelog/2019

He mostly helped the Lakers last night, though he rebounded well.
CandyCanes
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: Santa Clarita, CA (Hell) ->>>>>Ithaca, NY -≥≥≥≥≥Berkeley, CA

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2018 7:22 pm    Post subject:

Isn't it weird to see former superstars like Carmelo, Dwight, and Rose still in the league but as players with mostly negative impact?

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
slavavov
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 10:41 pm    Post subject:

CandyCanes wrote:
Isn't it weird to see former superstars like Carmelo, Dwight, and Rose still in the league but as players with mostly negative impact?

To be fair, Rose has a mostly negative impact only because he got hurt 50,000 times, and Howard was never a true superstar.

Melo's career is starting to head in the direction of Allen Iverson or T-Mac when they got old.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2018 6:12 am    Post subject:

governator wrote:
Marc Spears, The Undefeated: I was pretty shocked to see that Carmelo Anthony was not listed in the top 100 (ESPN Ranking). The new Houston Rockets forward could get the best shots of his career while playing alongside James Harden and Chris Paul. People are really hard on Melo, fair or unfair. But not being in the top 100 sounds pretty ridiculous for a player who should have a great offensive season for the Rockets.

After three games, Carmelo has an OBPM of -6.7. So far, Spears is not looking like Nostradamus.
Steve007
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2018 6:02 am    Post subject:

He put up much better offensive numbers in his last couple of games. But on defense he hasn’t helped them so far.

Quote:
Switching is especially problematic for forward Carmelo Anthony, as opponents often target the 16-year veteran, trying to get him matched up against their best creators. According to NBA.com's statistics, the Rockets have allowed 116.1 points per 100 possessions with Anthony on the floor, compared to 105.3 points per 100 possessions when he sits.

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/25094557/chris-paul-says-houston-rockets-need-changes-defense
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2018 7:08 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
While Carmelo Anthony is absent with an illness tonight against the Spurs, the Rockets and Anthony are discussing his role and how they might still be able to proceed together for the rest of the season, league sources tell ESPN. Talks are fluid.

lol
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4
Jump to: