New ESPN team ranking
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2018 3:39 pm    Post subject:

CantStopJM wrote:
ESPN can't decide if they love us or hate us.

One min we're projected to miss the playoffs, next we're projected to win 50 games and then the next week we're ranked 7th...

Are you suggesting that there might be multiple people writing for ESPN? I always thought ESPN was a hive mind.
NotHype
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2018 3:50 pm    Post subject:

Inspector Gadget wrote:
NotHype wrote:
Who’s this tool on The Jump right now saying “The Lakers are not good”

It’s one thing to say this team isn’t a title contender but to flat out say we aren’t good?? What the hell!! Never even heard of this guy who is he!!??

That tool you heard is saying outrageous things so thin skin fans can bring him up so he can get his 5 minute of fame, he knows there is no chance the Lakers aren’t good this year but they need to say something crazy so people can bring it up.

Good point I agree!!
Don’t get me wrong the ppl on ESPN always making outrageous statements but this one really got to me ... like there’s no way this guy actually believes what he’s saying!!

Found his name btw, Nick Friedell. Never heard of him.
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2018 4:02 pm    Post subject:

Looks like Nick Friedell is a media guy that writes for the Chicago Bulls.

Last edited by Inspector Gadget on Fri Sep 14, 2018 10:04 am; edited 4 times in total
slavavov
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2018 4:04 pm    Post subject:

lakersibleed wrote:
Anyone else think that everyone is over estimating the difference between the Eastern conference and the Western Conference.

I mean when you really really look at it the top 8 teams in each conference are very similar in wins and losses. I think the west was vastly better than the east for so long people still assume that its the case today....

It used to be that you could have a losing record in the east and still make the playoffs... Last year Wiz are 8th seed with 43 wins in the east... Minn was 8th in the west with 47 wins... I like the Wiz roster just about as much as i like Minn roster....

Also, you could make the case that of the top 5 teams in the league 3 of them reside in the East... 1.GS 2.Boston 3.Houston 4.Tor 5. Phi.... Not my list, but i think its in the conversation.

What do you guys think??

The east is catching up with the west. Boston could win 60 games this year, and Philly and Toronto are legit contenders.

Watch out for Milwaukee, they're on the rise. Plus you have some good but not great teams like Washington and Indiana.

There aren't as many legit title contenders in the west as one would think. Besides GS and Houston, who else out here is a legit title contender right now? Everyone else is a pretender trying to get to that elite level.
lakersibleed
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2018 4:14 pm    Post subject:

splashmtn wrote:
lakersibleed wrote:
UKUGA wrote:
lakersibleed wrote:
Anyone else think that everyone is over estimating the difference between the Eastern conference and the Western Conference.

I mean when you really really look at it the top 8 teams in each conference are very similar in wins and losses. I think the west was vastly better than the east for so long people still assume that its the case today....

It used to be that you could have a losing record in the east and still make the playoffs... Last year Wiz are 8th seed with 43 wins in the east... Minn was 8th in the west with 47 wins... I like the Wiz roster just about as much as i like Minn roster....

Also, you could make the case that of the top 5 teams in the league 3 of them reside in the East... 1.GS 2.Boston 3.Houston 4.Tor 5. Phi.... Not my list, but i think its in the conversation.

What do you guys think??

No.

The East is really bad.

Philly couldn't beat the Celtics with their 2 best players out.

Kawhi makes Toronto a legit contender, finally.

Boston is good and extremely well coached.

That was Philly's first time in the playoffs with that squad...I expect them to be better this year (Experience), I really expect all teams in the east 1-8 to be HUNGRY, due to the perception that its wide open.... The teams in the east i think most people are sleeping on are Wizards and Bulls!

I guess my ultimate point is that when analyst say that the Lebron cant do what he did in the East in the West I have a problem with it. The only team I think we have problems with is the Warriors in the west.
No excuses for philly. most of the boston team were first timers in the playoffs. kyrie wasnt there, hayward wasnt there. only horford. the rest of those guys had to figure it out on the fly.

Not making an excuse for them.. Im just saying its one playoffs...Lets see what they do the next playoffs... im sure it will not be the same, considering there players are young and learning... Horford, smart, brown, morris all played really well for the celts and have playoff experience... Plus, i feel Brad Stevens simply outcoached Brett Brown in that series.
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2018 4:21 pm    Post subject:

slavavov wrote:
lakersibleed wrote:

What do you guys think??

The east is catching up with the west. Boston could win 60 games this year, and Philly and Toronto are legit contenders.

Watch out for Milwaukee, they're on the rise. Plus you have some good but not great teams like Washington and Indiana.

There aren't as many legit title contenders in the west as one would think. Besides GS and Houston, who else out here is a legit title contender right now? Everyone else is a pretender trying to get to that elite level.

The West doesn’t have Houston and GS as the only legit contenders, there is Utah and the Lakers.
slavavov
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2018 5:09 pm    Post subject:

Inspector Gadget wrote:
slavavov wrote:
lakersibleed wrote:

What do you guys think??

The West doesn’t have Houston and GS as the only legit contenders, there is Utah and the Lakers.

Utah doesn't have enough firepower to have a chance. Who else besides Mitchell is a scoring threat on that team?
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2018 5:40 pm    Post subject:

slavavov wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:
slavavov wrote:
lakersibleed wrote:

What do you guys think??

Utah doesn't have enough firepower to have a chance. Who else besides Mitchell is a scoring threat on that team?

Ingles and Rubio are 2 guys who can explode for 20 on any given night, so they have players capable of going off.
slavavov
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2018 9:12 pm    Post subject:

Inspector Gadget wrote:
slavavov wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:
slavavov wrote:
lakersibleed wrote:

What do you guys think??

Ingles and Rubio are 2 guys who can explode for 20 on any given night, so they have players capable of going off.

You've got to be kidding me. Ingles averaged only 11.5 points last year and scored 20+ only 7 times. Rubio averaged only 13 points and shot 42%, which was a career high for him. They are not legit scoring threats who can create and make their own shot consistently.

https://www.basketball-reference.com/players/i/inglejo01/gamelog/2018
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2018 9:21 pm    Post subject:

slavavov wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:
slavavov wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:
slavavov wrote:
lakersibleed wrote:

What do you guys think??

You've got to be kidding me. Ingles averaged only 11.5 points last year and scored 20+ only 7 times. Rubio averaged only 13 points and shot 42%, which was a career high for him. They are not legit scoring threats who can create and make their own shot consistently.

https://www.basketball-reference.com/players/i/inglejo01/gamelog/2018

You are right, but again there very good D is probably the big reason why they will compete in the West, but we should be better then them.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2018 9:51 am    Post subject:

slavavov wrote:
lakersibleed wrote:

What do you guys think??

My list of legit title contenders in the West would be GS.
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2018 10:22 am    Post subject:

CBS Sports has us ranked Top 3 in the WC

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cbssports.com/nba/news/2018-19-nba-playoff-projections-lebron-gets-lakers-top-three-seed-in-west-raptors-fend-off-celtics-to-top-east/amp/
kawhileonard
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2018 6:30 am    Post subject:

CantStopJM wrote:

One min we're projected to miss the playoffs, next we're projected to win 50 games and then the next week we're ranked 7th...

ESPN still hates us, but their love for Lebron is second to none.
governator
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2018 8:46 am    Post subject:

kawhileonard wrote:
CantStopJM wrote:

The do project LeBron to get MVP from a non playoff team. lol (credit Yinoma for the catch)
methodman
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2018 2:25 pm    Post subject:

TooMuchMajicBuss wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:
jonnybravo wrote:
Looks like we're actually tied for #5 with Denver in the WCF according to them. GSW/Houston/OKC/Utah all above us.

WCF? Did you mean the Western Conference cause the WCF is the round after the NBA finals.

This one had me puzzled, until I realized you meant to say 'before' not 'after'... right?

Nah, he meant Western Conference Fishing
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2018 10:11 am    Post subject:

Rip Hamiliton has us as a top 3 seed in the WC..
Staccatos
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2018 10:58 am    Post subject:

ESPN rankings and predictions are so good, you'd make money betting against what ESPN says.
AFireInside619
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2018 11:21 am    Post subject:

kawhileonard wrote:
CantStopJM wrote:

Maybe certain personalities hate us (looking at you Royce Young and Chris Forsburg), but ESPN as a whole loves the Lakers. Are you kidding me? We are on First Take everyday because Max & Smith likes the Lakers. The Jump is filmed in LA and they constantly talk about the Lakers. If I were a Celtics fan I’d be pissed right now at all the attention we get. So what if Forsburg writes a poor article on #LakersPick that never happened? So what if Royce Young gloats about two SoCal kids deciding to stay with OKC? ESPN should be named the Lebron & Lakers Channel.
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2018 11:27 am    Post subject:

AFireInside619 wrote:
kawhileonard wrote:
CantStopJM wrote:

Maybe certain personalities hate us (looking at you Royce Young and Chris Forsburg), but ESPN as a whole loves the Lakers. Are you kidding me? We are on First Take everyday because Max & Smith likes the Lakers. The Jump is filmed in LA and they constantly talk about the Lakers. If I were a Celtics fan I’d be pissed right now at all the attention we get. So what if Forsburg writes a poor article on #LakersPick that never happened? So what if Royce Young gloats about two SoCal kids deciding to stay with OKC? ESPN should be named the Lebron & Lakers Channel.

Yep, I can’t see how the NBA could have progressed as a league without the Lakers and there brand, kinda like baseball with the Yankees, these teams attract attention, when there bad they have enough interest for people to bring them up, and when there good, TV ratings jump significantly.
greenfrog
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2018 1:44 pm    Post subject:

AFireInside619 wrote:
kawhileonard wrote:
CantStopJM wrote:

I'm pretty sure every fanbase thinks ESPN hates them, at least the most extreme elements of them. I was chatting with a Celtics fan recently (claimed he ran a blog) who was convinced ESPN had it out for the Celtics because "they're based in LA, you know". Supposedly that 80's documentary they last did really painted the Lakers unfairly in a better light... Don't be one of those fans, people.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
Jump to: