Do you recline your seat on airplanes if there is someone behind you?

View previous topic :: View next topic  

Do you recline your seat on airplanes if there is someone behind you?
Yes, I paid for the seat and it is my right to recline.
51%
 51%  [ 15 ]
Yes, but I ask for permission from the person behind first.
13%
 13%  [ 4 ]
No, but I don't do or say anything if the person in front of me reclines.
24%
 24%  [ 7 ]
No, and if the person in front of me reclines, I will ask them to not do so.
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
No, and if the person in front of me reclines, I will kick their chair.
10%
 10%  [ 3 ]
Total Votes : 29

CandyCanes
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: Santa Clarita, CA (Hell) ->>>>>Ithaca, NY -≥≥≥≥≥Berkeley, CA

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2018 9:26 am    Post subject: Do you recline your seat on airplanes if there is someone behind you?

What is the general consensus around the etiquette of this?

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
governator
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2018 10:21 am    Post subject:

I do cause I have to, 230+lbs unless it’s another big dude behind me with his knees pressing then I won’t recline all the way

I also don’t feel upset if the seat in front of me recline the whole way even if I’m squished... it’s their space
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2018 10:49 am    Post subject:

No. I try not to unless the person ahead of me reclines all the way and I'm left with less space. I'm a bit of a big guy - 6'3" 195 lbs. - so as much space as possible is always desirable. I don't begrudge people the right to decline, though I find it to be a bit of a douche move on a short flight. It's not like someone is going to get any meaningful sleep on a flight that barely lasts an hour. I'm not thrilled with it, but I will deal with it, especially if someone has the politeness to ask first. But, I have occasionally pressed my knees hard against the back of the seat when people haven't asked. I'll given an inch or two and then block any further movement. More often than not they assume they've gone back as far as they can.

That's why I always try to book either bulkhead seats or extended leg room seats so it's usually not much of an issue.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Man, do those lyrics resonate right now
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2018 12:31 pm    Post subject:

I go first class now. I don't fly often. When I did go coach I'd ask the person behind me. They often said OK.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.

Last edited by jodeke on Mon Sep 03, 2018 5:14 pm; edited 1 time in total
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2018 12:44 pm    Post subject:

Ever get the feeling some people recline, because they can?
K2
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2018 1:58 pm    Post subject:

While it's part and parcel of the overseas flying experience, I usually don't find it necessary to recline unless the person in front does so. Btw, a bit off topic but noise-canceling headphones are a must-have when traveling -- not sure what I'd do without them when that nice couple decided to bring their toddler who set up a rotational crying programme.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2018 5:05 pm    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
No. I try not to unless the person ahead of me reclines all the way and I'm left with less space. I'm a bit of a big guy - 6'3" 195 lbs. - so as much space as possible is always desirable. I don't begrudge people the right to decline, though I find it to be a bit of a douche move on a short flight. It's not like someone is going to get any meaningful sleep on a flight that barely lasts an hour. I'm not thrilled with it, but I will deal with it, especially if someone has the politeness to ask first. But, I have occasionally pressed my knees hard against the back of the seat when people haven't asked. I'll given an inch or two and then block any further movement. More often than not they assume they've gone back as far as they can.

That's why I always try to book either bulkhead seats or extended leg room seats so it's usually not much of an issue.

Yeah, I’m 6-4 and a lot of my height is in the femurs, so recliners kill me. I don’t decline unless it’s open behind me.
LakerLanny
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2018 8:39 pm    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:

Yeah, I’m 6-4 and a lot of my height is in the femurs, so recliners kill me. I don’t decline unless it’s open behind me.

I am also 6-4 and I never recline my seats on flights unless I have to due to the person in front of me doing it.

Why? Because it is incredibly inconsiderate and rude considering the space between rows in planes these days. Does the 8 degree difference really help you that much?

They used to have this thing you could buy (The Knee Defender) and put in the seat in front of you to block it from reclining, but now that is illegal so I wouldn't recommend it.

What I would recommend is to bring a hard plastic bottle (not the regular flimsy ones) and wedge it in between the tray and the seat in front of you...problem solved. Recliners are for the home, not the plane.

Happy Flying!
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2018 9:05 pm    Post subject:

If the guy next to me is being a jerk about the arm rest and they are invading my area. I recline. So my shoulder is comfortably behind theirs.

But I rarely recline all the way, an inch or 2 normally does the trick.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2018 11:33 pm    Post subject:

I flew back from NJ on a plane with the UCLA basketball team. IIRC they played Memphis. Jordan Farmar was on the flight. There was a isle mid plane that allowed, I forget which player it was to stretch his long legs full length. He had to be around 6'10"

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
K2
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2018 12:18 am    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
I flew back from NJ on a plane with the UCLA basketball team. IIRC they played Memphis. Jordan Farmar was on the flight. There was a isle mid plane that allowed, I forget which player it was to stretch his long legs full length. He had to be around 6'10"

Sounds like Ryan Hollins. He's often in recline mode, both on and off the court. If you're flying back from NJ then it's likely they had just lost to Memphis at MSG for a pre-season NIT tournament game back in '05.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2018 8:00 am    Post subject:

K2 wrote:
jodeke wrote:

Sounds like Ryan Hollins. He's often in recline mode, both on and off the court. If you're flying back from NJ then it's likely they had just lost to Memphis at MSG for a pre-season NIT tournament game back in '05.

DAMN!!!! That may be it and the player may have been Hollins. I googled his photo and I think that was him.

Although as I remember it UCLA won on a last second FT. I remember it that way because at the airport I approached Farmar and chided him for missing the first FT. He said it wasn't him and pointed out the player who missed.

Again I don't remember the name but the player mentioned was listening and said, "Hey I made the second and won the game."

I may be misremembering.

Last edited by jodeke on Tue Sep 04, 2018 11:10 am; edited 1 time in total
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2018 11:09 am    Post subject:

kikanga wrote:
If the guy next to me is being a jerk about the arm rest and they are invading my area. I recline. So my shoulder is comfortably behind theirs.

goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

CandyCanes
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: Santa Clarita, CA (Hell) ->>>>>Ithaca, NY -≥≥≥≥≥Berkeley, CA

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2018 11:22 am    Post subject:

kikanga wrote:

Armrest hoggers are really almost just as bad as people who recline their seats. Either they get there first and colonize the entire armrest, or they basically just shove your arm off the armrest.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Lonzo'sBalls
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2018 11:45 am    Post subject:

I can't sleep on flights regardless of reclining or not so I generally only do it if the person in front does and I feel squished.

That being said, I do not ask permission and have never been asked permission by the person in front of me that I can recall.
JerryMagicKobe

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2018 11:46 am    Post subject:

I am capable of sitting upright for a couple hours, so I don't need to recline on most flights. Now if it is a cross country red-eye and most everyone is resting, then sure.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2018 11:51 am    Post subject:

Lonzo'sBalls wrote:
I can't sleep on flights regardless of reclining or not so I generally only do it if the person in front does and I feel squished.

That being said, I do not ask permission and have never been asked permission by the person in front of me that I can recall.

It's rare, but I have been asked before. And one time the lady in front of me (aisle seat) peaked around and said, "I am reclining my seat now" with an air of insistence, but I think she just meant it as a polite heads up in case there was a precariously placed drink on the tray or something.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

K2
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2018 6:27 pm    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
K2 wrote:
jodeke wrote:

DAMN!!!! That may be it and the player may have been Hollins. I googled his photo and I think that was him.

Although as I remember it UCLA won on a last second FT. I remember it that way because at the airport I approached Farmar and chided him for missing the first FT. He said it wasn't him and pointed out the player who missed.

Again I don't remember the name but the player mentioned was listening and said, "Hey I made the second and won the game."

I may be misremembering.

Well, it's been a while since that game which should've been around Thanksgiving 2005.

Looks like it was a pre-season NIT tourney at MSG where UCLA played Memphis (lost 88-80) on Nov 23rd, then they played Drexel on Nov 25 (day after Thanksgiving - won it 57-56).

You probably gave Farmar a tough time for that 1st free throw because he air-balled it with 0.8 seconds left, but to his credit he did make the second free throw which was the gamewinner.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2018 7:26 pm    Post subject:

K2 wrote:
jodeke wrote:
K2 wrote:
jodeke wrote:

I may be misremembering.

Well, it's been a while since that game which should've been around Thanksgiving 2005.

Looks like it was a pre-season NIT tourney at MSG where UCLA played Memphis (lost 88-80) on Nov 23rd, then they played Drexel on Nov 25 (day after Thanksgiving - won it 57-56).

You probably gave Farmar a tough time for that 1st free throw because he air-balled it with 0.8 seconds left, but to his credit he did make the second free throw which was the gamewinner.

It was on Thanksgiving. I was home for the holidays. My nephew works for ESPN. He got us 3rd row seats baseline left of the basket. Maybe it was Drexl. I don't think it was Jordan that air balled. It was another player whose name I can't remember. I do remember the air ball with 0.8 left.

K2
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2018 7:55 pm    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
K2 wrote:
jodeke wrote:
K2 wrote:
jodeke wrote:

I may be misremembering.

It was on Thanksgiving. I was home for the holidays. My nephew works for ESPN. He got us 3rd row seats baseline left of the basket. Maybe it was Drexl. I don't think it was Jordan that air balled. It was another player whose name I can't remember. I do remember the air ball with 0.8 left.

Those are some high premium seats, good to have a nephew in the business. Jordan's probably trying to get Arron Afflalo to be on hook for that airball, granted he did miss one before Jordan shot those last two f-ts. Finally found a recap from the game that might help jog the memory:
http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/recap?gameId=253292182
Huey Lewis & The News
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2018 1:15 am    Post subject:

Yes. It's part of the product that I and everyone else on the plane purchased and we should expect each other to use it. Any culture of courtesy involving this feature hasn't yet become widely adopted enough for me to respect it, and if it eventually does get there, I'll ignore it and recline anyway. I'm terrified of turbulence. When the plane gets hit with those bricks of wind (especially flying into Denver or Midway/O'Hare) and the cabin shakes like Shatner's enterprise, I fret over what exactly I will scream during the vertical dive and wonder what people might say at my funeral. I need to be able to be unconscious through this, no matter the flight time, and reclining makes this possible.

Most importantly, you lanky streams of piss need to be put in your place sometimes. Have that tall privilege of yours put into check. This is one of life's few situations in which people of average height get to flex on you. You didn't use that height to become a rich professional athlete and afford to fly first class? How is that my fault? Let us have this one.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2018 7:04 am    Post subject:

I usually do. I think if someone made a reasonable request for me to not recline, I would comply with their request.....unless they were like 5'5" and the person in front of me has reclined into my space. Honestly, I usually try to fly on the budget airlines, and it is usually reasonable to upgrade to preferred seating since they do not offer a 1st Class. It is not similar to 1st Class on the traditional airlines at all, but you usually have a little more room.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2018 9:54 am    Post subject:

Huey Lewis & The News wrote:
You didn't use that height to become a rich professional athlete and afford to fly first class?

You've seen me play ball . . . or more accurately, not play.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

AY2043
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2018 10:03 am    Post subject:

LakerLanny wrote:
Omar Little wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:

I am also 6-4 and I never recline my seats on flights unless I have to due to the person in front of me doing it.

Why? Because it is incredibly inconsiderate and rude considering the space between rows in planes these days. Does the 8 degree difference really help you that much?

They used to have this thing you could buy (The Knee Defender) and put in the seat in front of you to block it from reclining, but now that is illegal so I wouldn't recommend it.

What I would recommend is to bring a hard plastic bottle (not the regular flimsy ones) and wedge it in between the tray and the seat in front of you...problem solved. Recliners are for the home, not the plane.

Happy Flying!

Agree with all of these.
Huey Lewis & The News
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2018 2:08 pm    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
Huey Lewis & The News wrote:
You didn't use that height to become a rich professional athlete and afford to fly first class?

You've seen me play ball . . . or more accurately, not play.

lol
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: