when was the last time you were THIS excited about an upcoming season?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
trablos
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2018 4:07 am    Post subject:

epak wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:
greenfrog wrote:
2010-2011. It's hard to be more excited than the season after a championship.

We looked like a team that was gonna 3 peat, we started 8-0 if I’m not mistaken.

Then Kobe's leg fell off.
Sucks that his knee was pretty much bone on bone.

Gasol sucked against the Mavs.
And freaking Jason Terry scored 19 ppg off the bench.
Metta, Barnes and Blake sucked.
How pathetic.

"We're not losing to the freaking Mavs"

is what I kept repeating to myself all the way up to the Bynum takedown of JJ Barea
slavavov
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2018 3:28 pm    Post subject:

trablos wrote:
epak wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:
greenfrog wrote:

We looked like a team that was gonna 3 peat, we started 8-0 if I’m not mistaken.

How pathetic.

is what I kept repeating to myself all the way up to the Bynum takedown of JJ Barea

That team got really hot after the All Star break and we won something like 17 out of 18 games. Then something happened to Pau and he lost his chutzpah, and Kobe lost his ability to score 40 points on any given night. Otherwise we would've beaten the Miami Lebrons and gotten our sixth ring.
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2018 3:36 pm    Post subject:

slavavov wrote:
trablos wrote:
epak wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:
greenfrog wrote:

How pathetic.

That team got really hot after the All Star break and we won something like 17 out of 18 games. Then something happened to Pau and he lost his chutzpah, and Kobe lost his ability to score 40 points on any given night. Otherwise we would've beaten the Miami Lebrons and gotten our sixth ring.

The whole team was lackadaisical during.. the playoffs I remember when we the series was 2-2 against the Hornets and we were struggling in Game 5 I had the fear that we were gonna lose against them in the 1st round.
trablos
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2018 4:08 pm    Post subject:

Inspector Gadget wrote:
slavavov wrote:
trablos wrote:
epak wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:
greenfrog wrote:

How pathetic.

The whole team was lackadaisical during.. the playoffs I remember when we the series was 2-2 against the Hornets and we were struggling in Game 5 I had the fear that we were gonna lose against them in the 1st round.

Then this happened

Judah
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2018 4:18 pm    Post subject:

slavavov wrote:
trablos wrote:
epak wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:
greenfrog wrote:

How pathetic.

The rumor was that Pau's fiancé at the time had slept with Shannon Brown. Brown denied it, of course, but that was the rumor. I don't know if it was ever confirmed to be true or if Pau believed it, but it was obvious that he wasn't himself at all during the playoffs. And it did seem to be something mental because the drastic drop in his play seemed to come completely out of nowhere.
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2018 6:06 pm    Post subject:

Judah wrote:
slavavov wrote:
trablos wrote:
epak wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:
greenfrog wrote:

How pathetic.

The rumor was that Pau's fiancé at the time had slept with Shannon Brown. Brown denied it, of course, but that was the rumor. I don't know if it was ever confirmed to be true or if Pau believed it, but it was obvious that he wasn't himself at all during the playoffs. And it did seem to be something mental because the drastic drop in his play seemed to come completely out of nowhere.

I think it was a mental thing rather then something personal, it’s not like Pau has been winning or going to the finals since leaving the Lakers, all of his teams since leaving the Lakers have been solid and that’s it, the only arguement is Leonard’s devastating injury during the playoffs that basically ended the Spurs playoff run, that could have been a special team.
lakersibleed
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2018 2:57 pm    Post subject: Re: when was the last time you were THIS excited about an upcoming season?

ChickenBeckerman wrote:
For me it would have to be 2009 when we were set to get revenge on the Celts with Pau in for a full season and I just knew we were gonna make another run for the title.

Now, we may not exactly be in immediate title contention but the excitement is still there because the possibilities that anything can happen look very good for us.

Thats my pick as well...I knew we were going back to the finals that next year... didnt think we would see the Magic on the other side.

BTW Kobe thinks we are in title contention this year!!

"I think they're building the team smartly. They're building strong, physical players that play the game with pace. They have basketball players. What I mean by that is they don't have players that are one-dimensional—they have players that can handle the ball, shoot the ball, pass the ball, defend the ball.

"So when you're building a team with that kind of versatility and physicality, that's something that can challenge Golden State. You can't beat Golden State by playing Golden State-style—it's just not going to happen."

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2792536-kobe-bryant-lakers-lebron-james-building-physical-team-to-challenge-warriors
cthroatgtr
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2018 5:16 pm    Post subject:

Last time was when the Lakers picked up Dwight and Nash, BEFORE we realized they were both done.
Hellspawn
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2018 10:48 am    Post subject:

Inspector Gadget wrote:
Judah wrote:
slavavov wrote:
trablos wrote:
epak wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:
greenfrog wrote:

How pathetic.

I think it was a mental thing rather then something personal, it’s not like Pau has been winning or going to the finals since leaving the Lakers, all of his teams since leaving the Lakers have been solid and that’s it, the only arguement is Leonard’s devastating injury during the playoffs that basically ended the Spurs playoff run, that could have been a special team.

Yeah I recall the Shannon Brown thing and Pau dropping off a cliff, and I recall watching Kobe not go after Pau or trying to hype him up after playing sh!itty, at all, which I thought was odd. It was like Kobe had accepted Pau was going to be playing sh!tty and without effort...

But by the same token, the shooting Dallas had during the entire playoffs was other-wordly. Every game, I was like, they can't shoot like that again. And they did in not just every game against us, but in every game against every opponent. It was crazy.
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2018 10:59 am    Post subject:

Hellspawn wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:
Judah wrote:
slavavov wrote:
trablos wrote:
epak wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:
greenfrog wrote:

How pathetic.

Yeah I recall the Shannon Brown thing and Pau dropping off a cliff, and I recall watching Kobe not go after Pau or trying to hype him up after playing sh!itty, at all, which I thought was odd. It was like Kobe had accepted Pau was going to be playing sh!tty and without effort...

But by the same token, the shooting Dallas had during the entire playoffs was other-wordly. Every game, I was like, they can't shoot like that again. And they did in not just every game against us, but in every game against every opponent. It was crazy.

Mavs were on a mission that year, but it’s always a “what if” on had we taken care of business in Game 1 during that series and potentially destroying the Mavericks mojo.
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2018 1:40 pm    Post subject:

pokoy wrote:
Thought 2012 also.... but honestly I'm leaning towards 1996 (am I that much older than everyone?).

We had a good, young, entertaining, but unproven nucleus. We got rid of players who we were attached to or invested in like Vlade and Anthony Peeler to clear cap space to sign one of the best players in the league in Shaq. Mo Wagner reminds me of Kobe. We were all excited about the potential but knew we probably had a few more years before we could really contend.

Note 97 team picked up Scott, Kersey, Rumeal Robinson, George McCloud (a guy who hit treys in bunches til he got here), Joe Kleine, a decrepit Larry Krystkowiak who most people forgot was ever a Laker. He was Kuzma's coach in college. I wonder if he ever told him he played 3 gms here.

A lot of old guys on their last legs. Same basic thing in 99/00. We pick up whatever vets are lying around this year and everyone has a cow. In all 3 cases, they ultimately did it to smooth out all the youth. In this case, at least they're not all ancient. Byron Scott had a good gm in the only win in 2 years we got against Utah in the playoffs btw. His year ended when he fell on his wrist while converting a layup. Perhaps he crossed his arms to put pressure on that wrist.

PS: You're not that old here. Still plenty of AARP members around LG. If you go to RealGM, most of them weren't even around in the early 2000s. A lot of them react with a weird appreciation for any post about the 90s NBA. It's weird. I remember RGm from the early 2000s and it's like all the posters then died off or just left the site. It's a site full of abandoned kids like Lord Of The Flies.
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2018 1:55 pm    Post subject:

Hellspawn wrote:

I know a lot of fans remember the Mavs series as the one where they just inexplicably got blitzed. However, I don't remember them lookin too good against the Hornets in the prior series. If the team was on point, it wouldn't have taken them 6 games to beat them. I realize the counter to that is look how they shut down Chris Paul in the latter games, but CP always seemed to tire himself out by just running rampage in the first few games. At least in my perspective. The Lakers didn't look that good at some point towards the end of that year. Maybe that Pau rumor is true. I dunno, by that point, that's a lot of mileage. To me, it looked like a replay of 90 when they won 63 and suddenly looked mediocre against HOU in the first round and lost in 5 to PHX (who they swept in 89) in the Semis. They just suddenly flew around the ceiling like a balloon losing air. That's the worst kind of over .500 season. It's better to get eliminated while the team played the best they possibly could, but the other team was just superior.
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2018 2:04 pm    Post subject:

non-player zealot wrote:
Hellspawn wrote:

I know a lot of fans remember the Mavs series as the one where they just inexplicably got blitzed. However, I don't remember them lookin too good against the Hornets in the prior series. If the team was on point, it wouldn't have taken them 6 games to beat them. I realize the counter to that is look how they shut down Chris Paul in the latter games, but CP always seemed to tire himself out by just running rampage in the first few games. At least in my perspective. The Lakers didn't look that good at some point towards the end of that year. Maybe that Pau rumor is true. I dunno, by that point, that's a lot of mileage. To me, it looked like a replay of 90 when they won 63 and suddenly looked mediocre against HOU in the first round and lost in 5 to PHX (who they swept in 89) in the Semis. They just suddenly flew around the ceiling like a balloon losing air. That's the worst kind of over .500 season. It's better to get eliminated while the team played the best they possibly could, but the other team was just superior.

Lakers had a double digit lead against the Mavs in Game 1 in the 2nd half, things could have completely been different in that series, had we made a statement in Game 1.
Wilkes52
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2018 6:21 am    Post subject:

Maybe the better question is "when was the last time a new Laker core looked this unexcited to be together ?"

https://cdn.nba.net/nba-drupal-prod/styles/landscape_2090w/s3/2018-09/lebron-ball-kuzma-ingram-media.jpg?itok=wdenVAqI

Yow.

Kareem Abdul-Jabbar
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4
Jump to: