Julius Randle wanted to return to the lakers
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
epak
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2018 9:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Julius Randle wanted to return to the lakers

Nash Vegas wrote:
https://247sports.com/nba/los-angeles-lakers/Article/Julius-Randle-wanted-to-return-to-Los-Angeles-Lakers-121506102/

Quote:
The Lakers initially extended the $5.5 million qualifying offer to Randle and it looked as if the 23-year-old would return to a Lakers team that is bound to contend with LeBron James leading the way. However, the team later rescinded the offer and instead signed Rajon Rondo to a one-year, $9 million deal.

Lakers ultimately decided that Rondo would be in the team's plans for the 2018-19 season and not their young former No. 7 overall pick.

If that’s true, choosing a 32 year old PG who is 9 years older over a young 23 up and coming PF, it shows that the FO probably doesn’t have too much faith in Lonzo’s health and stability to stay on the court.

That. Or invest in a guy who can mentor the guy you hope is the long term PG? Or both.
Judah
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2018 9:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Julius Randle wanted to return to the lakers

Nash Vegas wrote:
https://247sports.com/nba/los-angeles-lakers/Article/Julius-Randle-wanted-to-return-to-Los-Angeles-Lakers-121506102/

Quote:
The Lakers initially extended the $5.5 million qualifying offer to Randle and it looked as if the 23-year-old would return to a Lakers team that is bound to contend with LeBron James leading the way. However, the team later rescinded the offer and instead signed Rajon Rondo to a one-year, $9 million deal.

Lakers ultimately decided that Rondo would be in the team's plans for the 2018-19 season and not their young former No. 7 overall pick.

If that’s true, choosing a 32 year old PG who is 9 years older over a young 23 up and coming PF, it shows that the FO probably doesn’t have too much faith in Lonzo’s health and stability to stay on the court.

Not really. They'd been coveting Rondo since last year because they wanted a veteran point guard who can aid Lonzo in his development and mentor him. That's what they've wanted from the beginning. Rondo checks multiple boxes. In addition to mentoring Lonzo, he also fits LeBron's description perfectly of a player who knows how to "think the game." I'm not sure why having a safety net for Lonzo's health was the first thing you thought of when you read that...
AFireInside619
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2018 10:03 pm    Post subject:

Not sure who to believe. Mintz is still doing damage control with PG. Mintz opperates out of LA, so I’m sure he hears all the PG disses constantly. Is Mintz once again trying to blame the Lakers with Randle, or was this actually what happened?

PS. I personally wanted Randle back.
matrixskillz
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2018 10:08 pm    Post subject:

defense wrote:
He had 4 years to show something

It was time to move on

Like Russell, i just don't see it in him

"I GOT WHEATIES!"
Jesusdelonla
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2018 10:10 pm    Post subject:

AFireInside619 wrote:
Not sure who to believe. Mintz is still doing damage control with PG. Mintz opperates out of LA, so I’m sure he hears all the PG disses constantly. Is Mintz once again trying to blame the Lakers with Randle, or was this actually what happened?

Randle already threw a shade at Luke right after he signed with pelicans

How this was his 1st defensive drill in 4years, something like that
epak
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2018 10:12 pm    Post subject:

AFireInside619 wrote:

I wanted him at a low cost.
But honestly I'm not gonna miss his game.
dont_be_a_wuss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2018 10:32 pm    Post subject:

AFireInside619 wrote:

Would you rather have Randle or the chance at Kawhi or Klay or KD or Butler or... Can't have both.
Lucky_Shot
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2018 10:40 pm    Post subject:

I though he was pretty overrated, never liked his game and still wished we traded him instead of Nance.

I did see some value in keeping him for small ball lineups but I think Beasley is a better option.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2018 10:43 pm    Post subject:

There is too many conflicting stories out there...

David Adridge said he wanted out
Other reports said he wanted to play with LeBron (this has to be true)
Read somewhere AD had been recruiting him all FA period
Another report said he asked to be renounced then they turned to Rondo
Now report says they rescinded offer and gave it to Rondo

Hard to know for sure but it seems like one of two things--

1) LeMaginka felt better about Rondo and his contract status and chose to renounce Julius to pursue Rondo instead of giving an offer to Ju

or

2) Julius was getting recruited hard by AD/NO while Lakers were waiting to see how low they get Julius back for while not guaranteeing his future.

I much prefer we had Randle than Rondo seeing as we could have easily found a cheap back up PG of let Hart/Lance handle those mins but it's not something that I don't understand. Eventually, one of the young core would have ended up watching games down the stretch versus playing and I think it's clear Kuz and BI have to be there-- Randle could have ended up the odd man out.
xxsicrokerxx
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2018 10:47 pm    Post subject:

I remember telling myself in the beginning of last season how are clarkson, nance jr (he hustles and can dunk but thats about it) and Randle still on our team? Well look at the team now. And so many of you are were so high on them. Never understood. Randle closed out the year great but not enough to keep imo.
Laker's Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2018 10:54 pm    Post subject:

To be players in the 2018 and 2019 free agent market, LA had to forgo their 2014 and 2015 lotto prospects. That's the way it works, especially now that the most recent CBA made the cap holds so much higher. If you have a star or near star level player, sure, you keep them and things work out either way.

If they didn't have Deng on the books, they could have potentially landed 2Max and kept Jules, but LA couldn't find any takers. I imagine that would have been James, George and Randle.
oaktown_dimond
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2018 2:13 am    Post subject:

This is probably at least part of it. Mintz made the illustrious career decision to jerk off Magic Freaking Johnson and Rob Pelinka by not only denying them a meeting with Paul George, but televising a huge Lakers diss on national television. He's an idiot.

AFireInside619 wrote:

yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2018 5:08 am    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
It’s oretty clear that Randle wanted assurances he was part of the future of the team. The team essentially benched him after he worked his tail off in the offseason. It took 40% of the season to fix that, after which he was clearly the best player on the team. And they didn’t want to pay him and they told him he was getting a lesser role, as well as likely being dropped next year if a prime free agent signed. That’s a horrible position. No security, likely no future with the team, and a diminished role in which to showcase himself for his next contract.

Yeah. I can completely understand why he wanted at least more than a year QO (especially after his rookie year injury).

Now, if we end up with LBJ+(2019 max FA) then let bygones be bygones (and I think we will).
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2018 5:09 am    Post subject:

epak wrote:
Omar Little wrote:
defense wrote:

It was time to move on

Well, three years and one game. And what were you watching the last 49 games with him as a starter?

A guy who would be a great 5th option.

I don't think he thought of himself as that.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2018 5:11 am    Post subject: Re: Julius Randle wanted to return to the lakers

Nash Vegas wrote:

Quote:

I think backup PG was an absolute must-have.

So it came down to whether the Lakers would:

1. pay KCP (12m)
2. Lance (4.5m).

LBJ/KCP was likely a packaged deal, so it came down to whether Jules would be ok with a 5m-ish QO. He wasn't, and it's understandable given his rookie year injury.
KeepItRealOrElse
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2018 5:15 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
epak wrote:
Omar Little wrote:
defense wrote:

It was time to move on

Well, three years and one game. And what were you watching the last 49 games with him as a starter?

I don’t think Julius has relented from the dreams he cultivated as one of the most hyped high school prospects of the last 6 years. He wants the chance to grow into a star. Wiggins and Jabari have also niether transitioned well into lesser roles. Julius certainly did better last year —but ultimately he sees himself as a 20ppg guy who handles the ball pretty damn often , and develops a jumper.. We were no longer the situation to cultivate the player he dreams of being.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2018 5:18 am    Post subject:

KeepItRealOrElse wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
epak wrote:
Omar Little wrote:
defense wrote:

It was time to move on

I don’t think Julius has relented from the dreams he cultivated as one of the most hyped high school prospects of the last 6 years. He wants the chance to grow into a star. Wiggins and Jabari have also niether transitioned well into lesser roles. Julius certainly did better last year —but ultimately he sees himself as a 20ppg guy who handles the ball pretty damn often , and develops a jumper.. We were no longer the situation to cultivate the player he dreams of being.

100% agreed.
Remember Calipari had him playing like a traditional PF.

Lakers also wanted him to be a traditional PF; Jules seems happiest with the ball in his hand and that's just not happening with the guys we've collected.
SD2Hollyweird
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2018 6:06 am    Post subject:

KeepItRealOrElse wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
epak wrote:
Omar Little wrote:
defense wrote:

It was time to move on

Exactly. Which makes this whole article and those who believe its claim laughable.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2018 6:36 am    Post subject:

Regardless, I will miss Jules. Really grew on me but you could sort of see this financial crash course coming from afar.

But if the end product is LBJ+2019 max FA, plus keeping our young core, it was worth it.
epak
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2018 6:39 am    Post subject:

Plus he wasn't magic and Rob's pick.
TooMuchMajicBuss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Location: In a white room, with black curtains near the station

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2018 6:43 am    Post subject:

I don't doubt Julius Randle wanted back and liked his Laker teammates, and I don't also doubt he was very disappointed at his lack of opportunity to continue to play a primary ball handler role on this team. I think both are true statements, and two different reporters are going to come away with two different and seemingly opposing takes on any two different days. Both takes can be simultaneously true, depending on the question asked and perspective taken. Reading players' minds beyond what they say is a bit futile.

Randle was our best player last year, too bad his game wasn't complete, and too bad for him that LBJ fits the same role, at a best-on-planet level. I hope he finds success with the Pels.
dvdrdiscs
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2018 6:48 am    Post subject:

Randle was a beast. I wanted him back but the Lakers FO clearly saw his salary as a hindrance to the 2019 summer free agency run. It seems like the FO wanted to clear the max slot at all means. I hope this is because Magic and Pelinka have strong indications they can lure a Durant or Kawhi. It would also make sense given that Lebron seems okay with a non-contending season this upcoming season.

My dream scenario would be a Lebron + Durant duo.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2018 6:51 am    Post subject:

My dream is LBJ/KL.

LBJ/KL dominate now.

But then KL takes the lead as LBJ declines.

Then BI/Lonzo/Kuz/Hart take it as KL does. That's a 7-8 year dynasty in the making.
epak
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2018 6:56 am    Post subject:

TooMuchMajicBuss wrote:
I don't doubt Julius Randle wanted back and liked his Laker teammates, and I don't also doubt he was very disappointed at his lack of opportunity to continue to play a primary ball handler role on this team. I think both are true statements, and two different reporters are going to come away with two different and seemingly opposing takes on any two different days. Both takes can be simultaneously true, depending on the question asked and perspective taken. Reading players' minds beyond what they say is a bit futile.

Randle was our best player last year, too bad his game wasn't complete, and too bad for him that LBJ fits the same role, at a best-on-planet level. I hope he finds success with the Pels.

Interesting point on the liking teammates.
I wonder if he was upset that he got tough love while BI was pretty much coddled.
But I attribute that to them having different personalities?
dcarter4kobe
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2018 7:17 am    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
It’s oretty clear that Randle wanted assurances he was part of the future of the team. The team essentially benched him after he worked his tail off in the offseason. It took 40% of the season to fix that, after which he was clearly the best player on the team. And they didn’t want to pay him and they told him he was getting a lesser role, as well as likely being dropped next year if a prime free agent signed. That’s a horrible position. No security, likely no future with the team, and a diminished role in which to showcase himself for his next contract.

This.

My thing is, I'm sure there would have been a way to keep Randle on a long term deal in the range of 4y/50-54M deal and still have a max slot for 2019.

Luol Deng+2 1st round draft picks+Cash (maximum allowed) for a large exp k (Robin Lopez, Faried, Tyson Chandler, Jeremy Lin, Zach Randolph, Omer Asik, Shumpert etc) would have allowed the numbers to work.

2019 Summer

LeBron-37.4M
2nd Max-32.7M
Randle-13M
Lonzo-8.7M
Ingram-7.3M
Kuzma-2M
Hart-1.9M
Wagner-2M
4 cap holds-3.7M
Total 108.7M/Projected cap 109M

It comes down to me that Randle proved he should have been apart of our young core but the Lakers FO already decided before last season even started that wouldnt be the case.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5
Jump to: